The HD 3850 AGP User Experience

Ejay: The only time I go into Safe Mode is to run Driver Cleaner Pro.

Neverlift: My .net framework 1.1 and 2.0 are both up-to-date. I always uninstall all ATI programs/drivers before installing new ones.

I think what happens when you try to install the 8.3 CCC and already had the 8.2 CCC installed that the C++ or .net is getting messed with and causing this.

I had uninstalled the 8.2 CCC along with everything else.

I finally decided that I wanted to try installing the 8.3 drivers and CCC. I did the normal uninstall and driver cleaner, and installed the 8.3 driver using the manual installation. I then installed the CCC, but after install and reboot, I received the following message in a window:

Catalyst Control Centre: Host application has encountered a problem and needs to close.

I clicked on "Send Report," which it did, and then the same message popped up again. I again clicked on "Send Report" and didn't receive another message. But of course, the CCC was not running now.

I thought that perhaps I would try the Hotfix drivers, so once again uninstalled, driver cleaner, and installed the Hotfix normally (no manual installation required). However, after then installing the 8.3 CCC again, I got the same window and message as above :(

Has anyone else encountered this problem with the 8.3 CCC, and is there a solution?

why not use the CCC from the 8.2's? that how i have it. granted, i don't have overdrive but if anything needs to be o/c'ed it's the cpu and i don't think i can get anything more from mine without using water.

why not use the CCC from the 8.2's? that how i have it. granted, i don't have overdrive but if anything needs to be o/c'ed it's the cpu and i don't think i can get anything more from mine without using water.

I don't care about overclocking. I want the option to maintain aspect ratio, which isn't in the 8.2's.

Anyway, I tried installing .NET Framework 3 (so I now have 1 through 3), but that didn't help, either. I just can't figure this one out :(

Right now I'm using the 8.3 drivers, without the CCC. Unless someone comes up with an idea that fixes my problem, I guess I'll wait and see if the 8.4 drivers/CCC work.

Darn it I just went though this with my system. I found a post on a forum tried it and it worked just fine.. but I just went and looked and I cant find it anywhere. It is 0200 so will try again later today.

Opps sorry neglected to list my system but first, I'm using the 8.3 official drivers plus hot fix, and still not able to get Auto-Tune to work, goes right back to default after I use and can't even manually set it.

WinXP pro up to date, Asus P4C800-E Deluxe, 2gigs RAM, PowerColor HD3850 AGP, Audigy1.

The only thing I can think of, is that I deleted something I shouldn't have, using Driver Cleaner Pro. When I originally uninstalled the 8.2's that came on the CD, I checked all of the ATI boxes when cleaning. I have since uninstalled the 8.3 drivers and CCC, and re-installed the 8.2 drivers from the CD.

Did anyone update to the 8.3 driver and CCC without first uninstalling the 8.2 CD driver and CCC? That's what I'm thinking of trying next.

The only thing I can think of, is that I deleted something I shouldn't have, using Driver Cleaner Pro. When I originally uninstalled the 8.2's that came on the CD, I checked all of the ATI boxes when cleaning. I have since uninstalled the 8.3 drivers and CCC, and re-installed the 8.2 drivers from the CD.

Did anyone update to the 8.3 driver and CCC without first uninstalling the 8.2 CD driver and CCC? That's what I'm thinking of trying next.

I did, give it a try.

For all you Pentium Owners who are trying to make a decision on upgrading to the 3850 AGP here are some of my numbers.

My system P4 3.4 OC to 3.65 Northwood, FSB 215.2mhz, Bus Speed 680.8mhz, 2gig ram 2.5 4 4 8, AGP locked. PowerColor HD 3850 AGP OC to 751 Core, 950 Mem. MB Asus P4C800-E Deluxe, Audigy 1.

3D Marks - 01 = 21,030. 03 = 28,158. 05 = 7590. 06 = 5007.

Moto.

For all you Pentium Owners who are trying to make a decision on upgrading to the 3850 AGP here are some of my numbers.

My system P4 3.4 OC to 3.65 Northwood, FSB 215.2mhz, Bus Speed 680.8mhz, 2gig ram 2.5 4 4 8, AGP locked. PowerColor HD 3850 AGP OC to 751 Core, 950 Mem. MB Asus P4C800-E Deluxe, Audigy 1.

3D Marks - 01 = 21,030. 03 = 28,158. 05 = 7590. 06 = 5007.

Moto.

Using Rivatuner these 3850 AGP's are overclocking really good.

If I leave the memory at 935 the core will do 825 stable in Crysis and 3DMark06.
And on the flip side if I leave the core at 720 the memory will do 1000...

The best both will do at the same time is 775 core/975memory for me.
The stock cooler is working great!

I'm using Rivatuner also, and I'm amazed that this card can get that far in overclocking. I originally had the Saffhire 3850AGP which Surprisingly the Drivers on the CD worked fine, even the Auto-Tuner worked, but I had used Auto-Tune to set an overclock, left to go out to the store after running a few benchmarks and when I got back the screen was corrupted, after the reboot same thing, Boot screen corruption and WinXP, Sent it back then purchased the PowerColor, other than jumping through hoops to get the drivers to work its been a great performer.

I'm going to try your numbers on my card tomorrow when I get some time, thanks for the input. PS I'm using XP pro.

Moto.

I'm using Rivatuner also, and I'm amazed that this card can get that far in overclocking. I originally had the Saffhire 3850AGP which Surprisingly the Drivers on the CD worked fine, even the Auto-Tuner worked, but I had used Auto-Tune to set an overclock, left to go out to the store after running a few benchmarks and when I got back the screen was corrupted, after the reboot same thing, Boot screen corruption and WinXP, Sent it back then purchased the PowerColor, other than jumping through hoops to get the drivers to work its been a great performer.

I'm going to try your numbers on my card tomorrow when I get some time, thanks for the input. PS I'm using XP pro.

Moto.

XP pro here also.

All I did was check around and see the pci-e clocks and figure the AGP version could at least match the core speed and come close to the memory... and I was right. ;)

Using Rivatuner these 3850 AGP's are overclocking really good.

If I leave the memory at 935 the core will do 825 stable in Crysis and 3DMark06.
And on the flip side if I leave the core at 720 the memory will do 1000...

The best both will do at the same time is 775 core/975memory for me.
The stock cooler is working great!

NEVERLIFT- What do your temps look like? Idle and under load?

My temps are pretty good with the overclock I'm running.
775mhz core/ 975mhz memory
idle = 63c
load = 79c

Cool, thanks. Good to know that I can push mine a little further. Currently at 700/900 with around 72 under load. (stock cooling)

Well my 6800GT agp of almost 4 years finally crapped itself on me today on my Race Sim computer. How much improvement can i look at from the 3850 over the 6800GT in general? If its significant ill get one w/o a second thought.

I honestly had been hoping it would hold out until next year so i could move my current main box down to my race sim box and build a new rig, but it looks like i need to consider a 3850 to tide me over.

My system is currently a 4400+ X2 2GB DDR running windows xp MCE.

Thanks!

Well my 6800GT agp of almost 4 years finally crapped itself on me today on my Race Sim computer. How much improvement can i look at from the 3850 over the 6800GT in general? If its significant ill get one w/o a second thought.

I honestly had been hoping it would hold out until next year so i could move my current main box down to my race sim box and build a new rig, but it looks like i need to consider a 3850 to tide me over.

My system is currently a 4400+ X2 2GB DDR running windows xp MCE.

Thanks!

Nevermind. Ive put in some effort and actually read through most of this thread and found my own answer. Thanks!

:D

A friend of mine has a A64 X2 4200+ and the 8800GTS G92 and with the cpu and videocard at stock scored this in 3DMark06.
42008800gtsg92ci6.jpg

Now he runs his 4200+ @ 2.8ghz and his 8800gts overclocks very nice also so he does score alittle bit higher overclocked.

This is just to show baseline compared to my old A64 Venice.

Here's a screen shot showing my stats.
cpuzgpuzcq9.jpg

Well here's some 3DMark loving that actually uses the videocard and not my CPU.
3dmark01seln8.jpg

3dmark03ac1.jpg

3dmark05ac0.jpg

3dmark06co2.jpg

Here's my Crysis GPU benchmark @ 1280x1024 with high shader and the rest medium.
crysisgpubenchmarkib4.jpg

http://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&questionID=33033

The lastest hotfix driver from ATi and it does not support the HD 3850 AGP.

I'm returning my videocard to Newegg or selling it here on the forums.

I'm tired of ATi's shitty driver support for this card and I'm not going to keep force installing the drivers.
The senior tech I talked to said the next hotfix driver or driver release would support this card and install proper.... damn liars.
ATi never answer my ticket back and neither did Sapphire and Sapphire's forums are messed up so I cant even post there about this.

Testing these drivers now...
So far Oblivion bsod with error about aticqag.dll
Will post back how the other games do.

EDIT: these drivers seem rushed and are giving me bsod in my games
glad im sending this card back to Newegg and wont have to put up with this crap anymore

ps: back on the cat 8.2 and no problems

NeverLift, interesting what you said about having to go back to 8.2's .. I just had to do the same thing for XP and vista.. just didnt even like 8.3's .. shoot Im so confused now with all these drivers and hotfixes ect ect... What card did you say youre looking at over on the Nvidia side?

I don't know what ATi is doing.

I mean I'm experiencing the powerplay bug with 3850 AGP yet ATi is not supporting this card with their hotfix or drivers.
Using Rivatuner helps get around this thou.

Lets see... so I force install this latest hotfix which looks to be the cat 8.4 drivers. :confused:

Yet my card has problems in all my games with bsod, going back to the older cat 8.2 and no bsod.

I have had so much shit with these ATi drivers.

1) the CCC not starting or running after installing the drivers
2) having to force install the drivers in the first place
3) powerplay bug... nothing like playing a game and then the ATi driver cuts your gpu core speed in half (happens in Guildwars and WoW easy enough)

Here's a screenshot of what happen with the cat 8.4 drivers when it didnt bsod and semi recovered.
crazycrashld5.jpg

If this is the best ATi has to offer AGP users I really recommend thinking twice about it.
Anyone else out there have anything to share? I know I'm not the only one trying and testing these things out.

NeverLift, interesting what you said about having to go back to 8.2's .. I just had to do the same thing for XP and vista.. just didnt even like 8.3's .. shoot Im so confused now with all these drivers and hotfixes ect ect... What card did you say youre looking at over on the Nvidia side?

I have an old 6800GT I will be using.

After selling some stuff and returning this card and with some birthday money I'm gonna be getting next month I will just get a mobo/ram/cpu/videocard and be done with AGP.
And I doubt I will ever buy another ATi card after this.

This will be the parts I get...

GIGABYTE GA-EX38-DQ6 LGA
BFG Tech BFGE981024GX2E GeForce 9800 GX2
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz
G.SKILL 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)

sucks they aren't supporting the card. I'll probably go ahead andstick with the card for a while anyways. Still works better than my last one even with the 8.2's. I can understand the frustration if this is your main rig though. What a PITA.

wow, it seems i might be the only one still using this card. no probs so far with the 8.3 cat's and i even got overdrive to work which i don't need.

I just ordered this card, been watching this thread lately as I wanted to upgrade my aging x800xt. Hopefully this card will let me turn some eye candy on 1920x1080 with very playable framerate. So what's the best driver so far by means of stability. I mainly play CoH Opposing fronts and the witcher. I like to spank king tiger in skirmish:D

The drivers in the box work fine for me. I'm sure you'll be able to turn a lot of the eye candy on with this card. Overall I am very happy with it. All my games work with the 8.2's I'm just disappointed there are no good updates and support.

Oh no Im still using this card. Games and graphics ect.. look too darn good to go back to my 1950Pro.

Just wish they would sort things out. But as long as its working.. thats good enough for now.

pike think youre going to enjoy the card.. dont know the 800 card you now have.... just go slow and read much.. The problems arent that bad really just a real pain... force feeding drivers is a pain but results are worth it.

Last night, finally played Oblivian with grass on.. makes a huge difference ... no change in speed nothing.. just everthing maxed out and the graphics are amazing.. Sure makes the experience of the game much more rewarding. And, have to say Im getting my butt kicked.. darn lions, bears , mices and those darn mudcrabs can reallllly sneak up on you now in the deep grass... just too much fun.

Edit- after rereading, I think I catch the drift now. I thought forcing 8.3 drivers over 8.2 was best, but maybe since two people have reverted back to 8.2, the 8.3 drivers weren't really working.

I think when my card gets here, I'll just install the 8.2 off the CD.

I just ordered this card, been watching this thread lately as I wanted to upgrade my aging x800xt. Hopefully this card will let me turn some eye candy on 1920x1080 with very playable framerate. So what's the best driver so far by means of stability. I mainly play CoH Opposing fronts and the witcher. I like to spank king tiger in skirmish:D

The cat 8.2's are the best for this card I think right now.

pike think youre going to enjoy the card.. dont know the 800 card you now have.... just go slow and read much.. The problems arent that bad really just a real pain... force feeding drivers is a pain but results are worth it.

Last night, finally played Oblivian with grass on.. makes a huge difference ... no change in speed nothing.. just everthing maxed out and the graphics are amazing.. Sure makes the experience of the game much more rewarding. And, have to say Im getting my butt kicked.. darn lions, bears , mices and those darn mudcrabs can reallllly sneak up on you now in the deep grass... just too much fun.

My Oblivion is so huge and awesome right now! :D

Try 13gb folder size and more mods than you can shake a stick at....
oblivionmodlistvd2.jpg

oblivionmodlist2ct0.jpg

Also modded my Doom3 and Stalker games. :D

Hope so bro, I can't wait to get the card:D have you guys tried the drivers at ngohq with the old cp instead of the ccc? I'm going to try to install oblivion again and give it a run. Last time I was playing that darn game. I uninstalled it right after I got out of the sewer. I just remembered I had to close those gates at the very end of the game and that made me nervous:D Also about the cooler on this card. Are the rams sharing the same cooler as the gpu. I'm thinking of applying some arctic silver ceramic to get some more efficient heat transfer.

never heard of the ngohq drivers.. be honest with ccc doing strange things and some folks having major bsod problems think Im going to stick with "if it isnt broken, dont fix it"

NeverLift, that looks like my old game listing. But, I went back to basics and killed about 3/4 of my mods. Found the game was less fun the more I modded it. BUT thats just me. In Vista, I have a totally unmodded game, no mods, no addons nothing... only patches.. gotta say its a great deal harder. Darn psychic guards. Gotta love killing someone in a cave and get busted for it in a city on the other side of the country.

One thing thats good, the difference in the visuals of from the totally unmodded game and the "regular" modded game is very little. Im thinking of trying one of Quarls (hope thats the person thats been working on it, or is he the Unofficial patches person? Ouch sorry if wrong) anyway, trying one of the better visuals system where the pictures look amazing. Think with this card might beable to pull it off. Couldnt do it with a 6800GT or the 1950Pro. Major slide show.

Ref: the cooler.. cant help you.. have no idea.. just think its very stupid to have hot air blowing back into the case... shhesh whos bright idea was that?

Back