The [H]ardForum Perpetual Freebies Thread

IBM t42 like 3773 or something. Thanks for looking though! it has 2x 512 now

Heh. I've got a T42 with a T41 screen ;) Seems that the T4* line (you probably already know this...) has a design flaw -- if it's not on a flat surface, the chassis will flex and the motherboard will flex with it -- partially ripping the graphics chip off over time. If you get a mondo scrambled eggs display, that's what happened.

So I had a T42 with an XGA (1024x768 max) screen, and a "scrambled eggs" T41 with a reeeeeeeeeeeeally nice screen (1466xsomethingorother IIRC). Pulled the lid --screen and all-- from the T41, plopped it into the T42, and threw out the rest of the T41.

Now I have a T42 with an identity crisis :p but it's also got a real good screen...

BTW I'd see what you can get on eBay for RAM -- as long as you check the boxes for US sellers only and Buy It Now, you should be OK. Do make sure it doesn't say eg DDR2 or DDR3 in the listing tho -- those sellers are very good at putting their listings in the wrong category, and eBay doesn't give enough of a shit to fix it for 'em.

i actually noticed it for the first time 2 days ago, if i move from my lap to the bed or what ever it locks up... some F***ed up stuff haha! thankfully she doesnt move it ever.

That's likely the beginnings of motherboard failure, not RAM -- unless one of the RAM slots is bad (which is still a mobo problem)

Does anybody have an old SATA HDD that they don't need at all. Size really doesn't matter just want 80GB or more. Really need one as i thought the motherboard i got supported IDE but it doesn't so i have no HDD that i can use

i will check when i get home. i may have one, might be IDE though. If i do just cover shipping.

I have a modified cooler master elite 360 ATX case that's taking up space in my garage. Cover actual shipping and its yours. I removed the 5.25" bays to fit a full size psu.

EXPIRES THURSDAY JANUARY 31 at 5:00 PM PST.
After that I will throw it in the trash

IMG_1335_zpseae2d60d.png

IMG_1338_zpsbfa265ad.jpg

D5E0AC5A-FC3C-496A-8D18-0850D3B1CBE1-1749-000001B913F9D46E_zpscef35ede.jpg

49EC513A-CFDF-428C-A3A4-232E2FEA960E-1749-000001B9323ADF92_zps55d3e377.jpg

Where do u put the power supply in this case?

Where do u put the power supply in this case?

D5E0AC5A-FC3C-496A-8D18-0850D3B1CBE1-1749-000001B913F9D46E_zpscef35ede.jpg

Bottom right corner, where that little black 'nub' looking thing is sticking out. It plugs into the outlet of the PSU and it runs a cable all the way to the rear of the case that you plug A/C into. It resides in the 'front' of the case, and if stood up like in the first picture, at the front/bottom.

I have this case and it's nice as long as you don't have a lot of wiring from the PSU spewing out everywhere (modular PSU comes in handy here)

Hey, folks... you know how much I've been giving away lately ;) it's hard to miss.

Here's two things I need --

(1) a VGA extension cable where the male end (plugs into the mobo) is at a right angle to the cable.
(2) a PS/2 extension cable with the same feature.

I can probably make the PS/2 cable if I have to, but I'd rather not if I can avoid the ghetto mods thread. eBay came up with blank stares when I searched for one there -- and the VGA cables that I saw were $11+. No thanks.

As a note, this is for a small computer build, so the shorter the cable the better.

EDIT: made the PS/2 cable, still NEED the VGA one...

Last edited:
well, again i have freebies. 3 ide hdd
6gb fireball quantum and 2x20gb(wd200)
all formatted just pay mailing costs

Hey, folks... you know how much I've been giving away lately ;) it's hard to miss.

Here's two things I need --

(1) a VGA extension cable where the male end (plugs into the mobo) is at a right angle to the cable.
(2) a PS/2 extension cable with the same feature.

I can probably make the PS/2 cable if I have to, but I'd rather not if I can avoid the ghetto mods thread. eBay came up with blank stares when I searched for one there -- and the VGA cables that I saw were $11+. No thanks.

As a note, this is for a small computer build, so the shorter the cable the better.

EDIT: made the PS/2 cable, still NEED the VGA one...

Couldn't find the PS/2 cable? There's plenty on ebay from my quick search...

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
now add the words "right angle" to that search and see what you get ;) key phrase in my post was "with the same feature" meaning right angle at input.

No worries... anyone got the right-angle VGA cable somewhere?

Does anybody have an old SATA HDD that they don't need at all. Size really doesn't matter just want 80GB or more. Really need one as i thought the motherboard i got supported IDE but it doesn't so i have no HDD that i can use

If you can't find one, let me know.

ryan, you have a PM about that card.

What I'm looking for in a VGA cable is more like this. (Mods please forgive a single link to eBay -- it's "for reference only" !!)

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
now add the words "right angle" to that search and see what you get ;) key phrase in my post was "with the same feature" meaning right angle at input.

No worries... anyone got the right-angle VGA cable somewhere?

Whoops, I'm blind :eek:

I have a bunch of 80GB SATA drives that I don't need. If you haven't found one I can definitely return the favor. Got the RAM you sent out today and it works great - thanks again.

Okay, was going to try and sell this, but due to members like Starhawk I figured it was worth just sticking it in here for free!

I have a C2D P8400 Intel mobile chip. Runs at 2.267 with 3mb L2 cache. It is the Socket P (479) at 25 watts.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_2/Intel-Core 2 Duo Mobile P8400 AV80577SH0513M.html

I recently upgraded my old Gateway P7811-FX to a T9400 and have this P8400 left that I know I'll never do anything with LOL.

So if someone is in need of a good Core 2 Duo mobile chip give me a holler and I'll be glad to ship it along for the cost of shipping. ;)

Re: headset pinouts -- there are two. Nokia was first -- everyone but Apple uses the Nokia pinout.

Tip = L audio (+)
Ring = R audio (+)
Ring = Mic (+)
Sleeve = Ground (-)

Apple's pinout switches the Ground and Mic lines.

More here --> http://pinoutsguide.com/HeadsetsHeadphones/samsung_i9100_headset_pinout.shtml
and here --> http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...nal-soultion-why-most-headsets-wont-work.html

Stinger, do you know if your C2D will work in my Inspiron 6400? If it will, I'd like it. (Full disclosure: I've no idea what socket is in this contraption, as Dell's online specs, and various other places, don't tell me!)

EDIT: someone did a last-minute claim on the rest of the CPUs, the fan, IO Riser Shields, and some miscellaneous things in my post. The rest goes to the dump. Fo' shame, ya'll! You could've saved a whole lot more...

This will make me look like a cheap ass, offering a dead board, but maybe someone collects these things?

I have a MSI 790XT-G45 am2/am3 mobo. Got occasional HT Sync Flood errors for a couple weeks. Then one day at power-on, there was no video output, no beep code, no fans spinning (case, cpu, or gpu fans). In case it needs reiteration, the board is presumed dead. Not sure why anyone would want it, but I don't want to just trash it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130265
http://i.imgur.com/yiOAcnX.jpg

Also, see my pic, the HSF bracket has been removed (transplanted the bracket and all other parts to a working board). Removed CMOS battery, too, can put it back in if desired.

Highwind, the symptoms you specify sound like a dead power supply, not a dead mobo -- I assume you tested for that?

EDIT: TBH, if it was mATX I'd take it. I don't have a full ATX case!

...and of course finding a replacement ASIC, even assuming it's something solderable by hand, is basically impossible...

Application
Specific
Integrated
Circuit

...meaning no datasheet and no idea WTF is inside...

...fun... :rolleyes:

These specific chips made by or for MSI has MSI etched on them. If it were not for it being an MSI board I would take it... but then it would probably also not be free... ;)

--edit they typically handle voltages and clocks.

I have not used an MSI product in 10 years or so now. I had one fail and their customer service was atrocious and they never did get me a working replacement (my sister had the same customer service experience with them). They've lost a LOT of sales to me and people I know as people typically ask me what to buy or if what they plan to buy is any good and if it's an MSI product my typical answer is no. Failures happen, bad products happen once in a while, but bad customer service when they do...unacceptable.

I have never had an MSI motherboard that did not give me issues. (I am not speaking of any other MSI products not including laptops)

My last two motherboards were MSI after Asus's QC seemed to be slipping a bit. My next motherboard will likely be MSI because of it. The MSI boards both were rock solid and extremely stable. Pretty much another reason why I find brand loyalty to be a bit defeating... companies slip, get better when it's all they can do to remain relevant and to compete.

Okay, was going to try and sell this, but due to members like Starhawk I figured it was worth just sticking it in here for free!

I have a C2D P8400 Intel mobile chip. Runs at 2.267 with 3mb L2 cache. It is the Socket P (479) at 25 watts.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_2/Intel-Core 2 Duo Mobile P8400 AV80577SH0513M.html

I recently upgraded my old Gateway P7811-FX to a T9400 and have this P8400 left that I know I'll never do anything with LOL.

So if someone is in need of a good Core 2 Duo mobile chip give me a holler and I'll be glad to ship it along for the cost of shipping. ;)

This chip has been given away and no longer available.

Highwind, the symptoms you specify sound like a dead power supply, not a dead mobo -- I assume you tested for that?

EDIT: TBH, if it was mATX I'd take it. I don't have a full ATX case!

I did indeed. I took the board out of (friend's) computer and put in a new board, reconnected stuff, reinstalled Windows and drivers (different chipset). All works fine.

>> for what it's worth, the PSU being used was and is a TX-750W.

Last edited:
i have a gateway 550GR case w/ a media card reader and windows xp home COA on the back. free to anyone in the atlanta ga area. its listed in my f/s thread but just want to be rid of it.

all gone, crap that was fast!!!

Until February 28, 2013, you’re eligible to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for just $14.99*. This is the best upgrade price and an amazing opportunity.
Run the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant and follow the steps to purchase the upgrade.

PM me if you want one.

Last edited:
Back