The [H]ardForum Perpetual Freebies Thread

Whatever will fit a Precision M4700 or 7530. I think the one I linked is the kind I need. 7.4mm and 19.5 volts I think.

I have this. I do believe it has the barrel connector you need.

Attachments

• 20230711_202752.jpg
    20230711_202752.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230711_202808.jpg
    20230711_202808.jpg
    313.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230711_202825.jpg
    20230711_202825.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 0
I don't know if you want a big honkin' brick but I found This on eBay, this brick will also work if you have the dock for your Precision M4700 (PS: I have the M4800)

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I don't know if you want a big honkin' brick but I found This on eBay, this brick will also work if you have the dock for your Precision M4700 (PS: I have the M4800)

Bigger is better with Dell. Dell's laptops can generally detect which power brick is connected to them and adjust their performance.

Dell often specs underpowered adapters with their laptops if you buy them directly from the mothership. They have an operating mode that under peak loads, if the AC adapter is not beefy enough, it starts siphoning off the internal battery. If you're a power user, you'll quickly find your internal battery is always drained and the laptop operates in a low power mode that slows it way down. It also won't charge the battery in this mode, so you basically have to stop using the laptop completely for the battery to start charging again.

I've had to "upgrade" customers laptops with beefier power bricks a lot over the years, as well as replace battery packs, since the dual power mode rapidly wears the batteries out with excessive discharge cycles. I've seen some laptops ship with 45W adapters, when they really need 90 or 130W adapters.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Bigger is better with Dell. Dell's laptops can generally detect which power brick is connected to them and adjust their performance.

Dell often specs underpowered adapters with their laptops if you buy them directly from the mothership. They have an operating mode that under peak loads, if the AC adapter is not beefy enough, it starts siphoning off the internal battery. If you're a power user, you'll quickly find your internal battery is always drained and the laptop operates in a low power mode that slows it way down. It also won't charge the battery in this mode, so you basically have to stop using the laptop completely for the battery to start charging again.

I've had to "upgrade" customers laptops with beefier power bricks a lot over the years, as well as replace battery packs, since the dual power mode rapidly wears the batteries out with excessive discharge cycles. I've seen some laptops ship with 45W adapters, when they really need 90 or 130W adapters.
Basically I bought a used Precision off eBay. I didn't realize that the power brick the seller supplied me was under powered. It worked fine and charged even in the high performance mode. But alas, I didn't discover this until way after I bought it when it was too late to do anything about. Long story short - seller gave me 130 watt power adapter. Dell specifies that it needs a 180 watt one.

Now before anyone asks "well why don't you continue using the 130 watt one". Here's where it gets interesting. Recently I started to want to use it as a... workstation :D I know right? Anyways - I have a USB keyboard + mouse + webcam + two external monitors hooked to it. And that's when we run into trouble. Just booting the darn thing up with all of those devices attached to it sometimes makes the unit not power up the graphics card. I have an old M4700 with a 180 watt power supply so I've been using that.

How do I know the problem is the AC adapter? I have another 130 watt unit that I tried and same thing. But as soon as I switched to the 180 watt power supply the problem went away immediately. What a weird symptom. You're right that Dell's can generally tell if they're running underpowered. Their POST screen will typically say it (I've used the M4700 with the 130 watt power supply and it screamed at me immediately about it when I turned it on). Anyways - thanks for looking all. I'm going to just get a genuine one from eBay as they don't seem too expensive. Guess I should have gone there first. Lesson learned on my end I guess, regarding checking used laptops when you get them. Other than the seller not giving me the right power supply the computer's a decent machine and is very clean.

EDIT - the laptop didn't complain about the 130 watt adapter either. So that helped prolong the "discovery". I just happened to be browsing the Dell support page when I stumbled on the fact.

Last edited:
Thought it wouldn't hurt to ask, if anyone has a bunch of DDR4 small capacity (4gb, smallest I believe for ddr4?) desktop modules they don't need (standard unbuffered dims of any speed), would gladly take them off your hands. Need to test a board that's quad channel and has 8 slots that has mem channel issues, but alas don't have any spare ram to throw in it...Thought I'd ask here before I go and spend 40-50 on useless ram that I would never use again...lol. Would be much appreciated, but not a problem if no one has any...
I have 5x 4gb ddr4 sticks, how about $20 shipped for the lot?

Last edited:
Probably a long shot, but does anyone have an old crusty SAS controller sitting around with the cable? I got a bunch of SAS drives in a box of parts that I need to test.

Probably a long shot, but does anyone have an old crusty SAS controller sitting around with the cable? I got a bunch of SAS drives in a box of parts that I need to test.
I know I've got one, but I think it has a 2TB limit--would that still work for you? Also do you need cables because I don't think I have those. :(

I know I've got one, but I think it has a 2TB limit--would that still work for you? Also do you need cables because I don't think I have those. :(

The drives I have are 1 TB and under. But yeah, I need the cable. I've never worked with SAS drives before and it seems there's some annoyances with getting the right type of cable.

The SAS connector is standard, but the end that plugs into the controller seems to not be.

The drives I have are 1 TB and under. But yeah, I need the cable. I've never worked with SAS drives before and it seems there's some annoyances with getting the right type of cable.

The SAS connector is standard, but the end that plugs into the controller seems to not be.
So the controller I think would be fine, but yeah that cabling. :( Alternately, if you want to ship me the drives, I have a 15 drive DAS that I can test them in. (but without a drive shipping case I don't think they'd survive the journey, and I think I have one of those too).

So the controller I think would be fine, but yeah that cabling. :( Alternately, if you want to ship me the drives, I have a 15 drive DAS that I can test them in. (but without a drive shipping case I don't think they'd survive the journey, and I think I have one of those too).

Naah, they're not worth shipping. Just three 2.5" drives I got in a box of stuff. I was hoping I might get lucky with a SAS to SATA adapter, but no luck there. I don't have any boards that support running SAS over SATA, though they apparently exist.

Naah, they're not worth shipping. Just three 2.5" drives I got in a box of stuff. I was hoping I might get lucky with a SAS to SATA adapter, but no luck there. I don't have any boards that support running SAS over SATA, though they apparently exist.
Oh 2.5" drives? I've got servers I can just plug those into and test. Let me know if you want me to--shipping 3 of those isn't too bad.

Oh 2.5" drives? I've got servers I can just plug those into and test. Let me know if you want me to--shipping 3 of those isn't too bad.

Might include them with your laptop and stuff. Finally got enough time to sit down and start packing stuff up for people.

I worked thru a similar situation about a year ago. I posted about it here in this thread. I basically acquired some large SAS drives from work and traded a member here for some additional SAS drives looking to add them to my server to upgrade my storage. I ended up with an OS upgrade and adding memory in addition, but long story short, I needed a new breakout cable because I had a SAS to SATA breakout cable to connect to my original SATA drives. Thru that thread I learned that SAS cables are directional. After upgradeing the drives, I needed a "8087" cable to connect my SAS expansion card to my various SAS drives.

Hopefully that is a bit of a help.

Might include them with your laptop and stuff. Finally got enough time to sit down and start packing stuff up for people.
Sure! Toss them in there (not literally). I'd just wrap them up in multiple layers of newspaper and seal it with tape--should be enough shock protection. (y)

ABIT NF-M2 nView matx motherboard + AMD 4000x2 CPU + 4gb ddr2 ram + I/0 shield. Gone​

It unfortunately does not post to bios. It boots. It might still work. I tried 3 CPUs (6000x2, phenom 9850be, 4000x2) and 2 external GPUs (nvidia 6600gt, quadro nvs 1200) but I could not get it to post to bios.
It's possible the ram is toast, the CPU is incompatible with the board or the bios is set to external GPU. I could not find a reset bios switch on it. I replaced the bios battery. No change. I tested internal GPU as well.

20220626_220323.jpg

Last edited:

ABIT NF-M2S matx motherboard + AMD 4000x2 CPU + 4gb ddr2 ram + I/0 shield.​

It unfortunately does not post to bios. It boots. It's possible it might still work. I tried 3 CPUs (6000x2, phenom 9850be, 4000x2) and 2 external GPUs (nvidia 6600gt, quadro nvs 1200) but I could not get it to post to bios.
It's possible the ram is toast. It's possible the CPU is incompatible with the board. It's possible the bios is set to external GPU. I could not find a reset bios switch on it. I removed the bios battery and reinserted it. No change. I tested internal GPU as well.

View attachment 584594
may this good boi find a needy home with ample soldering skillz.

CLAIMED
These are available again. Shipping in a small flat rate box is $8.10.

Samsung 2.5" 120GB 840 Evo SSD (96% life, 4TB written)
Intel 2.5" 80GB 320 Series SSD (98% life, 17.3TB written)
Intel 2.5" 160GB 320 Series SSD (98% life, 16.8TB written)

Last edited:

ABIT NF-M2S matx motherboard + AMD 4000x2 CPU + 4gb ddr2 ram + I/0 shield.​

It unfortunately does not post to bios. It boots. It might still work. I tried 3 CPUs (6000x2, phenom 9850be, 4000x2) and 2 external GPUs (nvidia 6600gt, quadro nvs 1200) but I could not get it to post to bios.
It's possible the ram is toast, the CPU is incompatible with the board or the bios is set to external GPU. I could not find a reset bios switch on it. I replaced the bios battery. No change. I tested internal GPU as well.

View attachment 584594

That's actually a NF-M2 nView, not a NF-M2S. http://abit.ws/page/en/motherboard/motherboard_detail.php@pMODEL_NAME=NF-M2+nView&fMTYPE=Socket+AM2 CPU support list: http://abit.ws/cpu-support-list/mb/nv_gforce6150_nf-m2_series.htm

Only supports dual core AM2 processors, not AM2+.

I would hazard a guess that either the RAM slots are tarnished and need to be cleaned with Deoxit Gold G5 or CRC 2-26. Or that the BIOS is corrupted and needs to be reflashed. Bitrot on old boards is common.

That's actually a NF-M2 nView, not a NF-M2S. http://abit.ws/page/en/motherboard/motherboard_detail.php@pMODEL_NAME=NF-M2+nView&fMTYPE=Socket+AM2 CPU support list: http://abit.ws/cpu-support-list/mb/nv_gforce6150_nf-m2_series.htm

Only supports dual core AM2 processors, not AM2+.

I would hazard a guess that either the RAM slots are tarnished and need to be cleaned with Deoxit Gold G5 or CRC 2-26. Or that the BIOS is corrupted and needs to be reflashed. Bitrot on old boards is common.
Thanks for the correction. I don't have any de-oxit on hand. I tried reseating and swapping the ram. no dice. Free to a good home if anyone wants to troubleshoot it further.

Long shot, but I am trying to do an in-place PC upgrade for a church. Their needs are modest, but I am looking to update it to something somewhat... less anemic. It currently has 4G of DDR3 RAM and a Pentium G2030 in it. Looking for 2xDDR3-8G RAM sticks (1333 or 1600 supported, speed doesn't really matter) and a Core i7-3750 or -3770 CPU. These, combined with a small SATA SSD will make this machine VERY nice for the office work they do with it.

Long shot, but I am trying to do an in-place PC upgrade for a church. Their needs are modest, but I am looking to update it to something somewhat... less anemic. It currently has 4G of DDR3 RAM and a Pentium G2030 in it. Looking for 2xDDR3-8G RAM sticks (1333 or 1600 supported, speed doesn't really matter) and a Core i7-3750 or -3770 CPU. These, combined with a small SATA SSD will make this machine VERY nice for the office work they do with it.
I'm pretty sure I have an extra i5 3470 i3 3220 if that helps at all

Last edited:
If you're interested in a OptiPlex 3050 MT Service Tag: 5Q8ZBM2 for the cost of shipping, hit me up. I think it's has an i3-7100, 8gb ddr4, 128gb nvme and winodws 10 pro. I can get pics in a bit.

Last edited:
Anybody want a Seneo wireless fast charger? i just bought a Google Pixel stand 2nd gen and no longer need this, works great never had an issue and comes with the usb charging cable. Free shipping to lower 48 states only!

gone!
PXL_20230726_031650086.jpg
PXL_20230726_031703441.MP.jpg

pm me if you want it :cool:

Last edited:
If you're interested in a OptiPlex 3050 MT Service Tag: 5Q8ZBM2 for the cost of shipping, hit me up. I think it's has an i3-7100, 8gb ddr4, 128gb nvme and winodws 10 pro. I can get pics in a bit.

I will definitely take you up on this. It's a significantly newer machine and would be effectively a drop in replacement.

Back