The Growing Geek iPhone Backlash

Everyone I know who has switch went to the EVO. Primarily; because they AT&T really screwed the pooch on their data network then they gimped their data plan. The EVO is also a pretty kick ass phone. Easily the equivalent of the 4th gen iphone and much more flexible.

So then don't buy any Apple products.

Pretty simple solution without having to whine about it such as I can tell you do with such canned rants. Just stop talking about Apple altogether, stop reading posts about Apple, and move on with your life.

Spoken like a true ibot

This inbred little community is not a representation of the larger group of people happily using the device of their choice.

Why do you morons stroke each other because you made a similar switch to the new gadget and also roast anyone else who does not agree with your decision?

You should all be a bit more accepting of the people (you call sheep) that still like Apple and iPhones.

Clickity click click. Jees.

Amazing how divisive Apple can be :)
Personally I don't own a Mac, an iPad (although I have a bunch at work), or really anything else from Apple...but I still think the iPhone is a nice piece of hardware. I actually think I'd be 100% satisfied if iTunes didn't suck so much and if AT&T were a bit better.

My problem is bad experiences with Windows Mobile, even bought the samsung omnia on good reviews, the os is clunky, slow to respond and thus I miss many calls trying to get the damn thing to answer.

My friends have iPhones, having used them occationally they are 100% faster, more responsive and overall better. However, I hate apple, having been an original fanboy back in the early 2000's (I was the first person in my city to buy a clam notebook, a G4, and eventually a powerbook) I've grown tired of the proprietary crap of apple. At times my equipement would take weeks to ship and repair, and as I do some hardcore video editing, this cost me money and opportunity.

My family loves apple, they have the new computers, and just about all extras (including apple TV) I use them once and a while, and still absolutely hate apple. My current computer is amazing, and 100% faster then the apple equivalent when editing videos, and if it breaks, my local hardware store can fix or replace within hours.

This all being said, I want a good phone, the iPhone is better then my current one, and my old blackberry. Is andriod really better then the iPhone os?

Everyone I know who has switch went to the EVO. Primarily; because they AT&T really screwed the pooch on their data network then they gimped their data plan. The EVO is also a pretty kick ass phone. Easily the equivalent of the 4th gen iphone and much more flexible.

I made my wife keep here new Pre cause the EVO required a 10 dollar EXTRA data plan for 4G, even though there is no 4G in my area.

That was a deal killer for me and I made here keep here Pre (she agreed).

BTW, I don't have an iPhone, but do have an iPod Touch.

I haven't owned a cell phone for..I'd guess 8 years, am I really missing something besides privacy and the ability to ignore everyone by not having to text, or answer calls everywhere I go at any point of my day?

If you wanna get ahold of me, you know how, if you don't, then you don't get ahold of me.

I'll probably have to buy one if this new job interview goes gold for me here in a few days, but thats a work related necessity if need be, and I view it differently than my private life. I keep the two very much separate.

If I had the option, I'm waiting on the new Windows mobile phones, the one that got leaked from Dell looks sexy, and if its basically an integrated Zune + phone, then that's 1 device I already carry (Zune HD) that I could basically keep just 1 device in my pocket then. I don't need a Dilbert like utility belt of geek gadgets.

This inbred little community is not a representation of the larger group of people happily using the device of their choice.

Why do you morons stroke each other because you made a similar switch to the new gadget and also roast anyone else who does not agree with your decision?

You should all be a bit more accepting of the people (you call sheep) that still like Apple and iPhones.

Clickity click click. Jees.

ehm, my personal experience, i liked the iphone, then a music app came along, and it bashed the built in, streaming music, + having local music, + having info about the music.
okey, what happens when i tried to txt.?
I lost my music, and IT WILL not function with the new multitasking either....
so yeah, but a year ago i sold my iphone, and got a nokia, simple cheap ass nokia, and guess what it did?
Just that :)
and it had 64 mb ram!

and then i tried the desire, got blessed, it had the smartphone features, multitasking, it was easy in use( I cannot txt while walking very well, and i cannot txt while not looking at it making me a kamikaze soldier, so won't even try, dangerous enough with me walking into stuff :p)
I havnt rooted my main phone, my job phone is rooted for testing purposes towards job system and alike, since android is most likely the next platform from Q1 2011 taking over for winmo since apple nor windows satisfy needs or experience for server end and user end.
android certanly have limitations! no doubt, but going from 2.1 to 2.2 is like a new phone, and the dev rate is extraordinary!
Now just get rid of need for sense and alike so updates can get pushed more often, yes we will buy new models everytime a cpu shrink comes cause batterytime(my desire has 2 days with calling, mailing, txting, surfing, wifi, roaming, and sync every 20th minute)
Certanly better than my old iphone, but certanly far from good.

Android market:
No pay market for most countries, so only free software.
cannot be 100% sure that its trustworthy since its controll is less than apple's, but doesnt make devs go crazy.

theere is sooo many models, some choice is good, but do we need 14 phones from you HTC? 7 is suffecient!

never had one, but consumer pressure is always a good thing. Although I am skeptical, considering how they are still selling the shit out of their phones.

Because iTunes music has been DRM free for a while.
It is still in a proprietary format. I want the plain .mp3 files. I'm not sure about TV or movies. I never had a need or want to download them to a small, pocket-sized device.

It is still in a proprietary format. I want the plain .mp3 files. I'm not sure about TV or movies. I never had a need or want to download them to a small, pocket-sized device.

They're in M4A--how is that more proprietary than MP3? Did you mean you wanted OGG?

Quantity does not equate to quality though.

Just because something sells millions doesn't mean it's the best, it means the marketing has convinced "Joe Average" he just has to have it, hence the old Apple=Cult story.

People are all excited about how they can have a wallpaper behind their icons now on the new iOS4, whereas I've had that ability on every (jailbroken) iPhone I've owned since day one. Apple is only now catching up to what many Jailbreakers have had for years, and the average person thinks it's "awesome", when in reality, it isn't.

There's plenty my Jailbroken 3Gs can still do that iOS4 can't, simply because Apple won't let it.

I was excited about multiple exchange -- HD camera recording is pretty cool too. Other than that, I could careless about the phone. The droid would've been my option, but where I'm at, Sprint sucks, T-mobile sucks, and verizon is more expensive. The droid doesn't seem to exist on AT&T.

I'm not so sure that there is a "Geek backlash" against the iphone as much as there is a movement toward Android. Its market has been exploding, aswell as the hacking community for Android phones. The next phone i am buying is the Droid Eris.

I would actually recommend against the Eris. My wife has one, and HTC botched the 2.1 update so badly that the device is far less useful than it was when locked on 1.5. Her battery life has halved, for one thing. She also has a weird issue with sporadic lag. My Droid got faster and better with 2.1, her Eris got slower and less useful with 2.1...

I would also add that part of the drive toward Android that i have noticed is the need to feel like you aren't part of the crowd - something geeks tend to pride themselves on. The iPhone is so ubiquitous that many of my geekier friends have started wishing for something new and different. I had one buddy of mine switch *because* another, non-technical buddy got an iPhone lol .

I'd gladly trade my Droid in for a new Iphone if I wasn't locked into a contract with Verizon and their horrible service in southern Ohio. The droid's a good phone but Android still has some bugs and there aren't really any apps in the "open" Android marketplace that I want that don't have an equivalent on the Iphone anyway.

Once my contract with Verizon is up (or cheap enough to buy out of) I'll probably just go for an Iphone and jailbreak it.

I made my wife keep here new Pre cause the EVO required a 10 dollar EXTRA data plan for 4G, even though there is no 4G in my area.

That was a deal killer for me and I made here keep here Pre (she agreed).

BTW, I don't have an iPhone, but do have an iPod Touch.

I ended up going with an Hero; because of the extra fee. That and it was $80 rather than $200. It's not nearly as nice, but I pay the same as what att cost me without a data plan as I do now at sprint with a family unlimited data plan. Overall I think the att gimping their data plan and apple crippling their phones intentionally are the two main causes of a lot of people switching. Android is also pretty easy to root and the evo is pretty awesome. My brother and his wife are very happy with theirs.

I'm seriously contemplating moving back to Nextel err... Spring now, because of the Evo. A friend has one and I got a chance to look at it. I liked the size of the screen. Android OS is cool, I'm just not familiar with it. And the fact that 2.2 is not out on Evo yet sucks.

The only thing holding me back is Sprints reputation... But wait... AT&T... hmm HTC Eve it is :D
Rumor is that unlike sprint/verizon/etc ATT is going to be locking all its android devices to ban apps not sold via the official marketplace.

I was excited about multiple exchange -- HD camera recording is pretty cool too. Other than that, I could careless about the phone. The droid would've been my option, but where I'm at, Sprint sucks, T-mobile sucks, and verizon is more expensive. The droid doesn't seem to exist on AT&T.

If I could dump AT&T I'd seriously consider it, but around here, they've got the best reception signal by FAR over the others I've tried. I get full 5 bars everywhere, even inside at work (and I'm nowhere near a window).

The HD stuff is nice, but not a dealbreaker for me. Expandable storage and a drag/drop file system with wireless syncing, however, are things I want, and things the iPhone 4 does not support out of the box, whereas the Android phone I'm looking at does. (AT&T is getting a modified version of the Samsung Galaxy called the Captivate but I want the i9000 model).

Even the Samsung Galaxy S i9000 I want isn't perfect, but it has more features that will make a difference to me in how I use the device. Being chained to iTunes when I want or need to change the data on my iPhone is a real PITA.

Yep. It is pretty insane. I think the follow-the-leader, kick Apple, mentality here, is more sheep-like than they paint for Apple users.

It also helped me see how pointless internet forums have become. From the daily stories highlighted here, you would think Apple was going out of business. Reality: Apples main problem, trying to build enough of it's devices to meet the massive demand.

Someone previous said, "Just because something sells millions doesn't mean it's the best". No it doesn't, but it doesn't mean it isn't either. What it does do is undercut the importance of the "Geek iPhone backlash" highlighted in the latest kick apple story. The tiny group of teeth gnashing anti-Apple geeks not buying iPhones is of zero consequence.

As far as what is best. Reviews do seem to indicate iPhone 4 is likely it (for the moment, it is a very competitive space).

I have never owned any Apple or any Smartphone, but if work said they were getting me the smartphone of my choice, I would want a iPhone 4 from the reviews I have read.

But return to your Beavis and Butthead, kick Apple school yard antics. [H] has to be known for something I guess.

Quantity does not equate to quality though.

Just because something sells millions doesn't mean it's the best, it means the marketing has convinced "Joe Average" he just has to have it, hence the old Apple=Cult story.

There is not such thing as a "best" cell phone. Do you think your androids are great? Verizon's service sucks in Northern Colorado. AT&T is hands down night and day difference over Verizon. I dropped Verizon and haven't been happier.

People are all excited about how they can have a wallpaper behind their icons now on the new iOS4, whereas I've had that ability on every (jailbroken) iPhone I've owned since day one. Apple is only now catching up to what many Jailbreakers have had for years, and the average person thinks it's "awesome", when in reality, it isn't.

There's plenty my Jailbroken 3Gs can still do that iOS4 can't, simply because Apple won't let it.

Exactly. That is Apple's way of business. This is the stupidest argument every time I hear it. it is like buying a a stock Mustang V6 then saying Ford sucks because it isn't a GT500. No shit sherlock, you bought the V6 then act all surprised.

Tech geeks like to tinker and we tinkered on the iPhone and we've also tinkered on the Android to make it better. No matter what comes out we're going to tinker with it. Apples products limit the user which is what makes them great for developers and people who are content with the reliability of a quality product. Lots of other great phones out there, but the simplicity of the iPhone makes it stand out from its many rivals.

If Apple had an Android phone I would probably have grabbed one of those over the iPhone just because I loathe Apple, but the fact remains they make a great phone whether you want to admit it or not.

I consider myself a geek and I have an iPhone and will be getting the new iPhone 4 soon. Why? Honestly, because the phone just plain works and that's what I like the phone.

Yeah, so the multitasking isn't as powerful as people would like it to be. To me, what Apple did with iOS 4 and their "multitasking" provides everything I want my phone to do and more. Am I happy with iOS 4? Yes, extremely happy with what it does for me.

Love my Droid Incredible. It feels good to not feel tethered to Apples puppet-master style of software.

I switched both of the iphones on my family plan, got an HTC Incredible last week.
I also had my dad switch over to Driod, his HTC Incredible should be here this week.

Yep. It is pretty insane. I think the follow-the-leader, kick Apple, mentality here, is more sheep-like than they paint for Apple users.

It wouldn't be a problem if Apple fanboys haven't carried this aura of superiority and arrogance about their chosen company for years...encouraged by Apple itself with their stupid "I'm a Mac" commercial line. The insane level of hype on every tech/gadget oriented website every time Steve Jobs sneezes doesn't help either.

Not to mention that some of us have a certain amount of concern that other companies will begin emulating some of Apple's less...consumer friendly business practices.

These comments drive me crazy. Why would you assume that since AT&T is either unreliable for you, or you heard so....that it would be everywhere? In the Philadelphia/NJ/DE area, AT&T is every bit as reliable as Verizon, while Sprint and T-Mobile are horrid. Why not throw in a caveat that your comments are based only in your area?

A true geek does their research into their specific area and where the travel, and picks the best network for that area.

Thats a bunch of bullshit right there..I know several people who complain of how horrible ATT service is with their iPhones and other ATT phones in NJ at least. When I worked out in South Jersey, there was a intersection I constantly lost my signal I had with my iPhone and generally had crappy service where I worked too. Most people love their iPhones but hate ATT.

Getting back on topic, I had a iPhone 3G, that broke twice on me...lost EDGE connectivity one time, had to get a replacement phone and last September, my WiFi crapped out for no reason what so ever. This was after my warranty ran out, so I had to deal with it. Add in my Macbook Pro taking a dump on me with in a year of having it and nearly having to pay nearly $1500 bucks to fix it (thankfully had 2-3 weeks warranty on it), I'm going to think long and hard about getting another Apple Product.

I replaced my iPhone with a Driod Incredible back when they first came out and I don't miss the iPhone at all.

I wish someone would just do a full port Android to an Iphone already! The Iphone has great hardware, no denying that, its just needs the open source community to make it amazing.

It wouldn't be a problem if Apple fanboys haven't carried this aura of superiority and arrogance about their chosen company for years...encouraged by Apple itself with their stupid "I'm a Mac" commercial line. The insane level of hype on every tech/gadget oriented website every time Steve Jobs sneezes doesn't help either.

Not to mention that some of us have a certain amount of concern that other companies will begin emulating some of Apple's less...consumer friendly business practices.

I think blind emulation is a sad certainty for some. WinPhone7 appears to be a complete copy of the iPhone model, right down to the lack of cut'n'paste. But I don't see it showing up much outside of Microsoft. I think it is mainly Balmers lack of vision. They need new leadership.

I never owned a Mac. But the commercials as Apples big crime? I find a lot of them quite funny. Hodgeman is clearly the star. Why do these make anyones head explode? It is just a friggen commercial.

Anyway I find [H] Steves daily Beavis leadership, and the cadre of Butthead followers demeans Hardocp. If you don't like something, you have the option of taking the high road, Hardocp, chose the low road.

I think blind emulation is a sad certainty for some. WinPhone7 appears to be a complete copy of the iPhone model, right down to the lack of cut'n'paste. But I don't see it showing up much outside of Microsoft. I think it is mainly Balmers lack of vision. They need new leadership.

I never owned a Mac. But the commercials as Apples big crime? I find a lot of them quite funny. Hodgeman is clearly the star. Why do these make anyones head explode? It is just a friggen commercial.

Anyway I find [H] Steves daily Beavis leadership, and the cadre of Butthead followers demeans Hardocp. If you don't like something, you have the option of taking the high road, Hardocp, chose the low road.

Every other tech site jerks themselves off in a masturbatory fury every time Apple makes any kind of minor announcement. Quite frankly, I find it refreshing that there are tech sites like [H], which tends to cater to a more technologically enthusiastic crowd (that doesn't tend to be pro-Apple anyway), that are actually willing to be critical of Apple.

Like I said, it's the arrogance that Apple (and its cult followers) constantly shove in everyone else's faces...they've earned this kind of vitriolic response from those of us who don't drink their kool-aid.

If we were all rational, we'd tell Apple to go screw themselves. Apple would realize they can't get away with declaring themselves emperors of the mobile internet and they'd stop being asshats. Because Apple would no longer be the leading asshat, we would buy their products, again.

This will never happen because people are largely irrational when it comes to consumer electronic purchases. So much emotion, so little regard for the ramifications of paying such a premium to fund this patent trolling company. Innovate? Why bother? Just buy up all the patents for mobile devices and lock them down!

It's kindof hard to fault Microsoft for needing new leadership when they've rolled out the best gaming devices, best DAP, best phone OS, and best desktop OS under the current leadership.
So seriously, all I can do is laugh at that suggestion. I don't like Balmer as much as the next person, but clearly his behind-closed-doors methods work.

That said, I don't think this is backlash as much as Apple's own fault to stay relevant. They enjoyed a stint at the top for a bit. But let's face it, we all knew Android was coming. The LG Prada was almost an exact clone of the iPhone, which LG released just a bit before Apple. I'm not convinced that we wouldn't have had innovation without Apple. Did they help drive it forward with their implementation and marketing of that? Absolutely.

Looking forward... The iPhone 4 is by all intents and purposes the one that's playing catch up at this point. Advantages over the Evo might be the display (iPhone has a nicer tech display but the Evo has a larger one... take your pick which is more important), and a gyroscope. Other than that, it's mainly catch up work. As fast as Android is progressing, we'll probably have a dual core one this year. Which would again mean the iPhone would just be catching up next year...
So... I think the iPhone's days are over as far as the #1 device. The handset market is a rapidly changing one.

So no, I don't think it was backlash. It's just people migrating to better devices.
I want an Evo so bad I can't stand it, I just don't want to pay ETFs on my iPhone I have now to get it.

And also, ATT sucks. It's always the worst rated carrier, in all regions of the US, by JD Power.

If Apple were smart they'd pull their heads out of their asses in 2012, lessen their grip of control on the iPhone, so that Verizon would take the iPhone on board.

Although after I think about it, my new car Stereo has an iPod interface that works with my iPhone. Couldn't use that with an Evo, I'd be limited to just doing an aux input. Which would be OK, but being able to access my library from the stereo itself is nice.
That's still, IMO, the #1 reason to stay with i-products is simply the overwhelming accessory support.

Lots of valid arguments. Some that are complete rubbish. Here's my stab at it.

Is it too much to ask:
  • To have the ability to swap my dead battery without replacing the phone or sending it to get fixed?
  • To have the ability to add a memory card?
  • To have features that seem to be standard on every other phone out there yet are touted as new if they are finally released for the iPhone?
  • To not have to use a proprietary browser to view music files on my phone?
  • To simply use an mp3 (or other format of my choosing) as a ring tone rather than having to buy the song again or jump through hoops converting it?
The list goes on and on...

There are things the iPhone does well. The app store is pretty cool minus the banning of apps because of the company they come from (Google). The phone feature is pretty terrible. On the road with my family (standard phones), they had 4-5 bars while I had no service (all AT&T). The sheer amount of dropped calls - AT&T or iPhone?

Finally, why can't I just buy a phone of my choosing and plug it into my network? I do this for my landline. I think I remember a legislative bill being considered that would ban locked phones. Make sense to me. One last thing a little off-topic but pertaining to cell phones -> Why do I have to pay when I receive a call from someone? I'm quite certain this is unlawful in places like the UK.

Thats a bunch of bullshit right there.
It's definitely not bullshit. I maintain business contracts with both providers (AT&T and Verizon), and in some areas, like rural parts of Western PA, AT&T is not an option. The majority of my lines are with Verizon, but I have no trouble with the AT&T service once you are east of Harrisburgh, all the way to the Jersey shore, where some of my other employees live. I've seen it myself, as I've traveled with my AT&T phone to each of their home offices. If you drew a triangle from Harrisburg, Toms River, NJ, and Ocean City, MD....that's the area I regularly travel through, and haven't had a single issue with my AT&T service.
I know several people who complain of how horrible ATT service is
Oh, well with that kind of proof, of course I'm wrong! How can I compete with "several people you know"? Let's be serious, shall we? AT&T's coverage map in the area I mention above is just as good as Verizon's, and in reality, of actually using phones in those areas, the service levels are the same. Don't give me what some random people told you...try it yourself.

The funny thing is, I even despise Apple as a company, and would never want to defend them, but fact is, the phone and service work perfectly fine in my area.

As a Tech, I have a dislike of ANYTHING currently made by Apple. Over priced, too proprietary, and as a company, is always pushing liberary causes. The final straw for me was when they not only stopped supporting the Boy Scouts, but threatened to withdraw funding from ANY charity that associated the BoyScouts.

I was a boyscout and even I dont support them anymore, they are now an extension of the mormon church more than anything (look it up)

AT&T's coverage map in the area I mention above is just as good as Verizon's, and in reality, of actually using phones in those areas, the service levels are the same. Don't give me what some random people told you...try it yourself..

good for you?

anyway, down here in Miami coverage isn't the issue, its capacity, their data network is horrifically slow and everyone I know on AT&T (including an AT&T rep for a lot of large stores) have constant dropped calls because they fail to hand off the call due to sites with no open time-slots

I still use my old 2G iPhone on t-mobile as my personal phone becuase I like the way the text messaging works, and the email client works well when you have multiple email accounts... and thats pretty much it, I only have maybe a handful of apps on it, becuase I mostly just need it to make calls and send/receive SMS...

for my work cell I have an android phone with lots of stuff installed, 3rd party firmware etc etc

Finally, why can't I just buy a phone of my choosing and plug it into my network? I do this for my landline. I think I remember a legislative bill being considered that would ban locked phones. Make sense to me. One last thing a little off-topic but pertaining to cell phones -> Why do I have to pay when I receive a call from someone? I'm quite certain this is unlawful in places like the UK.
That $600 unsubsidized price tag of the iPhone... That's what you're asking for?
There's advantages to contracts and locked phones.

And some phone companies (TMobile I think?) give you free incoming calls/texts/photos/etc.

It's definitely not bullshit. I maintain business contracts with both providers (AT&T and Verizon), and in some areas, like rural parts of Western PA, AT&T is not an option. The majority of my lines are with Verizon, but I have no trouble with the AT&T service once you are east of Harrisburgh, all the way to the Jersey shore, where some of my other employees live. I've seen it myself, as I've traveled with my AT&T phone to each of their home offices. If you drew a triangle from Harrisburg, Toms River, NJ, and Ocean City, MD....that's the area I regularly travel through, and haven't had a single issue with my AT&T service.
Does service=signal? By your post, I'd say that's what you mean.
ATT seems to have plenty of signal, but it's shitty signal. They consistently rank the worst for the quality of the signal, and what's really pathetic is it's especially in the call quality arena.

Sprint and Verizon seem to have less coverage (I haven't dealt with Verizon since the Altel thing though), but when they do have coverage, it's actually QUALITY coverage.

Like others, I think the backlash is against AT&T, not the iPhone.

AT&T is snookering everyone (who didn't have an iPhone prior to a certain date) with its new data-plan structuring. Or at least, one could say that's the perception of geeks; I guess it depends on your point-of-view.
AT&T may have the fastest 3G in areas where they have it (thus their advertising claim), but their network has less 3G coverage nationwide than Verizon. For people who travel, this is disappointing.
AT&T has the reputation for the worst customer service of any large US cellular carrier. I'm not saying Verizon is great (it isn't, unless you're on a company/government contract), but Sprint has improved (because they had no other choice) to the point where their service rep has leapfrogged AT&T.

I don't think the iPhone is a bad phone, though I tend to like phones with tactile keyboards (e.g., my BB Tour). But lock it into AT&T, and that's a deal-killer for my organization, since their coverage doesn't match Verizon for where we're located. I also like a phone where app development is a bit more open, and the Blackberry and the Droid phones both have that. I think the iPhone is targeted at people who want a smartphone, but only want apps, not a front-to-back tweaking experience like a hardware-enthusiast might.

Back