The Gridseed ASIC Thread

Just got my single Gridseed device. Packaged very well.

Shipping went out without any delay. I ordered 3 days ago, and it was delivered today as per the shipping type.

Gonna set it up today once i get the power brick.

I've updated the original post with an easy setup for getting these to run with CGminer as I know it's been driving a lot of people bonkers getting it to work. And added some links.

I just placed an order for 50 and 2 raspberry pi's.. Will update when I get them.

Question: Anyone know the max # of Gridseed devices the modded CGMiner provided in the OP can handle?

My Google Fu is drawing blanks. I saw something about BFGMiner not doing 50, but i don't plan on using that specific miner.

I tried 30 BEs (USB driven) in Win 7 and it always had trouble displaying all of them.
Scrolling down and such did not work right.
And almost always 1 or 2 would not mine.
Not directly related but close maybe....

Question: Anyone know the max # of Gridseed devices the modded CGMiner provided in the OP can handle?

My Google Fu is drawing blanks. I saw something about BFGMiner not doing 50, but i don't plan on using that specific miner.

I'm not sure of the total number, but my machines won't let me use more than 1 USB connection to them, so your options are to use a gigantic powered USB 2.0 hub, or daisychain them. But when it comes to daisychaining the hubs they have to be plugged into each other a certain way depending on the model. CPUminer can also handle a lot of Gridseeds.

I'm only running 10 per machine to keep things easier, can't even imagine how pissed i'd be if i was away from home and the computer with 50 Gridseeds went down LOL.

My goal is to fill out the USB ports on my miner rigs with 10 port hubs. All of my boards have 6 free USB slots (when not using kb/mouse), so i could theoretically put 60 GS's per miner rig.

Rosewill has an interesting 10 port USB Hub model.

I plan on using power bricks to power the Gridseeds, so my real issue is will the OS / software recognize 60 devices.... Something tells me i will fall far short of this number.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
My goal is to fill out the USB ports on my miner rigs with 10 port hubs. Rosewill has an interesting 10 port USB Hub model.

All of my boards have 6 free USB slots (when not using kb/mouse), so i could theoretically put 60 GS's per miner rig.

I plan on using power bricks to power them, so my real issue is will the OS / software recognize 60 devices.... Something tells me i will fall far short of this number.

Those are the hubs i use, they save sooooo much mess with cables compared to the shitty ones that are included in the Gridseed packages.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The thing holding me back is the ease of use, software wise. I've read through the Gridseed thread at bitcointalk and things still look a tad messy. Don't get me wrong, setting up a GPU rig is not exactly set-it-and-forget-it but this looks like more hoops than I care to jump through for 300 hash. I'll wait for 2nd gen, 5Mh for 10W :)

Um..

tV00G8m.png

First time I logged in since changing mining pools, before that It was running ~30 days non-stop without looking at it. The only reason I ever shut it down is to clean it every 2 months or to change pools. That particular one is my home server, but my other machines are pretty much identical.

For the most part GPU mining is set it and forget it as long as you have your cards tuned.

Um.... For the most part GPU mining is set it and forget it as long as you have your cards tuned.
I think that was the point of his post. There is some tuning involved with GPUs but it appears simpler than the OP directions.,...

Yeah, the tuning part can be hell on earth. No 2 cards are exactly the same. Took me 3 weeks to get my 290s running well (high hash rate, low power usage, 100% stable).

Yeah, the tuning part can be hell on earth. No 2 cards are exactly the same. Took me 3 weeks to get my 290s running well (high hash rate, low power usage, 100% stable).

Had the same issue with one of my 4 gpu rigs, took me 3 weeks and one bad brand new GPU to find out what the problem was >.< Now getting that RMA back next week too.

ATM it's the Stilt bios 290s that are giving me trouble. I've tried the low leak / high leak variations.

No matter what, every single one of the 290 rigs i've got flashed to his bios tends to reboot itself every 2-3 days. I've tried stock bios volts, over volts (to match retail volts), stock clocks, underclocks, small TC vals, large TC vals, more ram (8GB) to no effect.

I have CGWatcher set to auto-start / auto-mine, but i want so badly to be able to use his bioses - they really are amazing.

EDIT: On topic: I am hearing from a friend that up to "148" Gridseeds can be controlled by your average mobo USB controller. Any truth to this>?

Last edited:
I was told by zoomhash if your using the raspberry pi it can control 30 devices, not sure how true this is tho lol.

I was wanting to use my gpu rig motherboard USB controllers.

I received 20 of my Gridseeds I ordered. Installed Scripta on my Rasp Pi and updated to the new fork of CGMiner that allows different frequency tweaks. Another 40 arrive tomorrow.

Have the units running at 850mhz frequency, hashing at roughly 360khash per unit. Scripta has a slick webGUI too, much nicer than BAMT which I am accustomed to.

cgminer.jpg

This was a pic of it running when I first started it, 24 hours later, still stable. These little buggers are amazing :)

Nice. The single unit i got has been rock solid 24/7 @ 850mhz now for ~4 days pushing ~361khs.

It would be nice if i knew the temp this thing was/is running at just for kicks.

I have a serious itch to buy more.

I received 20 of my Gridseeds I ordered. Installed Scripta on my Rasp Pi and updated to the new fork of CGMiner that allows different frequency tweaks. Another 40 arrive tomorrow.

Have the units running at 850mhz frequency, hashing at roughly 360khash per unit. Scripta has a slick webGUI too, much nicer than BAMT which I am accustomed to.

cgminer.jpg

This was a pic of it running when I first started it, 24 hours later, still stable. These little buggers are amazing :)

What version of scripta did you download and do you have the link? I've seen a lot of issues with it locking up from people.

Nice. The single unit i got has been rock solid 24/7 @ 850mhz now for ~4 days pushing ~361khs.

It would be nice if i knew the temp this thing was/is running at just for kicks.

I have a serious itch to buy more.

They run very cool... So cool that alot of people are taking the fans off of them and the heatsink works just fine. The fans are loud especially when you have 20 lol.

This is surely impressive. I have also read about it. I do believe it will knock off the small time guys with high power costs from the game. I bought my cards to game with. Mining is just a plus for me.

Luckily, I have cheap power so I can mine for quite some time until it's not longer profitable at all.

anarchyx,

What is your breakeven point with these? I'm estimating about 3 months. Am I about right?

anarchyx,

What is your breakeven point with these? I'm estimating about 3 months. Am I about right?

I dont even know, I sold a bunch of GPUs to pay for them, 3 months would be nice. I tend to mine alot of alt coins and not multi pool, sometimes that works for me, or against me.

1 fan per 2 units, smart. Looks like 1 USB hub and 1 raspberry pi.

yep half the noise and still a bit of cooling, even though it isn't needed. pullin 165w on the killawatt

So anyone got a recent tally of how many of these you can hang off of a raspi?

I'm really wanting to get a 10 pack of these. Just wonder why zoomhash is $200 more expensive to have it shipped from LA (i'm an hour or so away) and $219/unit not including a power supply seems a bit steep. Anyone better to order with?

I'm really wanting to get a 10 pack of these. Just wonder why zoomhash is $200 more expensive to have it shipped from LA (i'm an hour or so away) and $219/unit not including a power supply seems a bit steep. Anyone better to order with?

If you're an hour or so away, give them a call, they would probably cut you a deal if you went and picked some up in cash.

Are you guys sure you want to buy these? I was thinking about it too until the knc announcement of 250megahash. It just seems to me that when the big ASICS show up they will make the mining of these negligible and these are quite expensive right now. These won't be able to switch to the other algorithms either unlike gpu's so they'll be stuck. It'll be a farm of 10megahash gridseeds competing against a 250meghash knc miner? Payments in scrypt are proportional to the percentage of the hash power and with the current high prices and low profitability I don't see how gridseeds can make back much of their initial cost in the next six months before the big ASICS destroy everything.

Back