The Gigabyte facepalm

KedsDead

Limp Gawd
I really dont know what to title this...

I have a GTX 1080 Waterforce WB card from Gigabyte. It is a factory full water blocked 1080. My problem now is it is time to clean the block. You can not take it apart with out destroying it.

The face plate cover, and the top cover at the ports are glued on. How do I get this thing apart for cleaning? It has a 4 year warranty, do I lose the warranty because I tore the covers off?
xugUKxI.jpg

0dftngD.jpg

When I called Gigabyte,
ME: How do I clean this card?
Gigabyte:" we do not recommend cleaning them."
ME: Do I just put it back and let it break, then send it back?
Gigabyte: " we dont recommend that either. "

This went on for about another 5 minutes, when the Tech guy on the phone, says to email him pictures. Which I did, I have not heard back from Gigabyte on this issue.

I did how ever go to Gigabytes forum, and was thoroughly disappointed in that fact that they do not engage with their customers.

Last edited:
Why did you feel the need to clean it? Looks fine to me. Contained systems typically don't require maintenance. If you're using good quality coolant or distilled water then the block and associated parts should last at least 10 years.

My temps at idle were around 75c.. I was using a shampoo type coolant.. so I think it is plugged a little..

j3m50db.jpg

Acid? That would destroy the acrylic, and the nickle plating. ( I think ) I better put that or Razor1 will be in here with his lawyers...

got to be careful with what reacts to acrylic other then that seams fine to me :p

It did not see the Mayhem link til after I posted. It does say not to use it on plated products. The block for the card is nickle plated.. I am almost positive that it is aluminum, which is another no no, that Mayhem has listed. I think that I am going to have to just peel the fancy glued on covers off, use a bunch of handi wipes, or goof off, to get the glue off. If I want to clean it.

EDIT: Didn't notice this block was plated, you want part 2 only in that case..

https://www.mayhems.net/collections/best-selling-products/products/mayhems-blitz-basic-kit

You can also get it quick without the large shipping fee from here

http://www.performance-pcs.com/mayhems-blitz-basic-cleaning-system.html

Part 2 only it is then. Good ol Performance PC... I just ordered all my new thermal pads from them. They shipped them already to. Guess I will just have to get them to mail me some more stuff.

I think a hairdryer and some plastic razor blades will be your friend here. Short of that you could try running water through the block (and then a filter) while submerging the block in an ultrasonic cleaner, might shake loose and blow out any particles.

Part 2 only it is then. Good ol Performance PC... I just ordered all my new thermal pads from them. They shipped them already to. Guess I will just have to get them to mail me some more stuff.

I've heard nothing but good things about the Mayhems kit, I've known a few people to use it to clean out show systems after using the Aurora coolants. And PPCs is awesome, they're directly across the state from me so every kind of shipping is 1 day hehe

I really dont know what to title this...

I have a GTX 1080 Waterforce WB card from Gigabyte. It is a factory full water blocked 1080. My problem now is it is time to clean the block. You can not take it apart with out destroying it.

The face plate cover, and the top cover at the ports are glued on. How do I get this thing apart for cleaning? It has a 4 year warranty, do I lose the warranty because I tore the covers off?
View attachment 58071
View attachment 58072
When I called Gigabyte,
ME: How do I clean this card?
Gigabyte:" we do not recommend cleaning them."
ME: Do I just put it back and let it break, then send it back?
Gigabyte: " we dont recommend that either. "

This went on for about another 5 minutes, when the Tech guy on the phone, says to email him pictures. Which I did, I have not heard back from Gigabyte on this issue.

I did how ever go to Gigabytes forum, and was thoroughly disappointed in that fact that they do not engage with their customers.

I advocate for wider spread use of chat puppets for CS use.
Tie the customer image upload to the product engineering team, social, BI, etc so issues don't get lost and turn into wildfire negativity.

Closely monitor CS conversions for positive and negative outcomes.

Dont let the biz and growth staff penny pinch CS, and Target them down when their policies and actions tilt toward negative feedback.

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to chime in on the negative CS experience and question in general. Just as background I worked CS for years (at a different company, same industry). There are certain limits to what you can and cannot tell a customer to do, and its sometimes very difficult to limit the scope of your answers to your companies specific product without seeming dismissive or unsympathetic. I completely understand your frustration as a customer and enthusiast. You have a problem, you want answers.

To answer the question about the warranty - Modifying/dismantling (and obviously damaging) the card does void the warranty. That's the policy. That being said if someone we're able to take a card apart, and put it back together, with 0 signs it had been taken apart I am not sure how we would be able to tell it had been dismantled. In terms of your specific card I don't think there is anyway to take it apart without obvious signs it had been dismantled.

In terms of flushing the card I would defer to Kyle's advice or anyone else with experience using that coolant. Since the coolant isn't made by us a CS rep cant/wont give advice on how or what to flush it with. Lets say they did recommend XYZ product. You buy it, you use it, somehow it reacts with the metal and destroys the card... The CS rep is going to be in deep trouble if he did indeed give you any advice that lead to damaging the card.

So I guess in general for WC cards direct from us my advice would be this: If you have issues with the card itself flush it the best you can and send it in for an RMA. For advice on how to clean specific coolant without taking the block apart I would lean on the experts here.

I'm not sure if that helps you at all, hopefully it does, or at the least gives you more information to work with when deciding how to proceed with the card. My email is [email protected] if you have any other questions or concerns.

Maybe run some white vinegar through it...a bunch of times?

That is an option as well in the case of algae growth, do a warm water + vinegar solution and run it in the loop for a day, drain and repeat, then do the same thing with distilled until the vinegar smell is gone.

Only thing is with the pics he showed, and what he posted, he used something like Mayhelms Aurora coolant and the shinys fell out of suspension (note, Mayhems Aurora is meant for temporary use in show builds only), for that I'd recommend the Blitz kit, as it's made for that, as well as removing flux and solder from the inside of new rads.

The shinys in the shampoo coolant is tiny particles, shit is a nightmare to get out. Check http://mayhems.co.uk/mayhems-aurora-guide/

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to chime in on the negative CS experience and question in general. Just as background I worked CS for years (at a different company, same industry). There are certain limits to what you can and cannot tell a customer to do, and its sometimes very difficult to limit the scope of your answers to your companies specific product without seeming dismissive or unsympathetic. I completely understand your frustration as a customer and enthusiast. You have a problem, you want answers.

To answer the question about the warranty - Modifying/dismantling (and obviously damaging) the card does void the warranty. That's the policy. That being said if someone we're able to take a card apart, and put it back together, with 0 signs it had been taken apart I am not sure how we would be able to tell it had been dismantled. In terms of your specific card I don't think there is anyway to take it apart without obvious signs it had been dismantled.

In terms of flushing the card I would defer to Kyle's advice or anyone else with experience using that coolant. Since the coolant isn't made by us a CS rep cant/wont give advice on how or what to flush it with. Lets say they did recommend XYZ product. You buy it, you use it, somehow it reacts with the metal and destroys the card... The CS rep is going to be in deep trouble if he did indeed give you any advice that lead to damaging the card.

So I guess in general for WC cards direct from us my advice would be this: If you have issues with the card itself flush it the best you can and send it in for an RMA. For advice on how to clean specific coolant without taking the block apart I would lean on the experts here.

I'm not sure if that helps you at all, hopefully it does, or at the least gives you more information to work with when deciding how to proceed with the card. My email is [email protected] if you have any other questions or concerns.

That is the longest post I have ever seen from a factory rep to simply say one or two sentences. You message reads "We do not want to give you any advice about cleaning the block we sell, so we will stick to the generic "RMA if you have an issue" response and hope the customer doesn't want to tear their loop down on the 50/50 chance that we will honor their RMA, or even have RMA stock to replace their card if we actually honor it. I Will never buy a watercooled card from your company (and that is all I use).

I've got the same card and came to the same conclusion on my last teardown: Gigabyte's design team needs a good thumping. Waterblocks need to be able to be taken apart for maintenance. More fool me for not doing my research.

I guess I can't be too surprised though, given the company has a penchant for putting bright orange accents on RGB products. XD

Use vinegar for a few hours, run some furmark or another hot bench, it should clear out all of your pathways. Replace your normal coolant after and breath easier :)

Back