The Folding Shack

NobleX13

Supreme [H]ardness
Look at this property here: http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3434-Charles-St-Omaha-NE-68131/75854471_zpid/

What a bargain for a cheap Folding@Home colocation facility and residence! :D In a perfect world, a couple of folks willing to pay a small premium on top of electric costs would pay for the place pretty quick.... :)

Anyone else ever thought of doing this? Any input on cheap houses in general? My girlfriend is scared of this part of town, but it's really *not* that bad. I would probably have to leave her for such an endeavor, but a guy can dream, can't he?

I'm not sure where that exactly is, but I have a feeling the folding farm wouldn't be there in a week.

...... and the pawn store down the block would have some insane deals on folding hardware.

How bad can Omaha NE be? though im gonna say that sale price is a down payment.

Might not be a bad idea, plus i could take less than compliant females there, lock them in the basement, and feed them crackers through the floorboards!

we have those types of houses all over the place here for the same price and look a heck of a lot better, lol.

How bad can Omaha NE be? though im gonna say that sale price is a down payment.
There are parts that are actually pretty bad. The $9K price is the actual selling price. It is a very distressed piece of property that was built over a 100 years ago. It will likely need to be gutted and have new plumbing, heating, and maybe electrical as well. However, with that said, I believe this house has excellent potential to be rebuilt into something decent if the neighborhood is safe to live in. This is a HUD owned property.

There are parts that are actually pretty bad. The $9K price is the actual selling price. It is a very distressed piece of property that was built over a 100 years ago. It will likely need to be gutted and have new plumbing, heating, and maybe electrical as well. However, with that said, I believe this house has excellent potential to be rebuilt into something decent if the neighborhood is safe to live in. This is a HUD owned property.

it'll definitely need electrical since its going to be nob and tube which sucks balls. plumming you might be able to get away with not touching since it was done pretty well back then(depending on when they put plumbing in that house). heating, who needs heating? thats what a crap load of computers are for. the only thing i'd hate dealing with is the lath and plaster, its the most annoying thing about working on 100 year old houses.

Oh man, this is exactly the type of thing I'd consider and the type of the thing the wife hates me for. It's perfect in every way.

Oh man, this is exactly the type of thing I'd consider and the type of the thing the wife hates me for. It's perfect in every way.

Except for electric.

It's the lifeblood of a folding farm.

I've always thought Wyoming would be the best state for "Folding Shack." Cold climate, cheap electricity.

I've always thought Wyoming would be the best state for "Folding Shack." Cold climate, cheap electricity.

any of the north western states are good choices, heck even here in eastern washington electricity is dirt cheap, weather is nice during the summer and freezing ass cold in the winter. nice thing is that electricity prices go down in the winter. so right now i'm paying 4 cents a KW. during the summer i pay 6 cents for the first 450 10 cents from 450-650 and 5 cents after 650 KW

Yeah, +1 to that. My woman hates me for this type of thing too. If she'd let me, I would buy it and rent it to a good friend, with the condition he has to fix it. In two years it would be paid off and I could burn it down if I wanted... :)

I'm not sure what this thread's about either; I was bored yesterday. I just got a new 12 guage, so I'm not worried about "which part of town" it's in. Nothing some security laminate and pre-hung steel doors with biometric locks couldn't handle.

Just be careful that the house doesn't get tagged as a grower house and you have the DEA breaking down the door. :p

Agent 1: I don't get it?! The electricity usage is through the roof!
Agent 2: This makes no sense. There's no lights, no weed... hell, the heat isn't even on.
Agent 1: What's with all these black and red boards?
Agent 2: They all say SR-2 on them. Whadya think they're for?

I would be on board with shipping some of my stuff to an offsite location in the summer.

For now, I want all my boxen in the house. I'll take the heat.

smells like a typo to me

what the price? it ain't a typo. outside of the major states like california, new york(most east coast states) houses are dirt cheap, even here in spokane you can get a decent 100 year old house that needs work for around 30-40k some even less. i think one of the houses my uncle owns he payed 500 bucks at an auction for even though it needs about 15k dollars in work when its finished it'll be worth around 80k which is a lot out here.

smells like a typo to me
Not at all. Heavily distressed HUD owned homes, former crack houses, and the like can be had for dirt cheap. You just have to invest heavily into fixing them up.

Back