The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Performance & IQ Preview @ [H]

i was tempted to be buying skyrim, but held off, and now from what ive been reading, im still on the fence as to buying it at all. i do crossfire and eyefinity, and its frustrating seeing games not working.

i was tempted to be buying skyrim, but held off, and now from what ive been reading, im still on the fence as to buying it at all. i do crossfire and eyefinity, and its frustrating seeing games not working.

The game works in crossfire/eyefinity - I'm running it that way:

This is the crossfire fix:
http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.ph...5&postcount=17

Just extract it and drop the .dll file in your skyrim folder (inside steamapps\common\skyrim)

This is Hayden's eyefinity fix:
http://widescreengamingforum.com/dr/...ls-v-skyrim/en

You download the .exe, run it as administrator before you boot up skyrim. Hit inject before you boot skyrim, then start the game normally. You will need to modify your SkyrimPrefs.ini in Documents\My Games\Skyrim - edit the lines iSize H= and iSize W= to your resolution. I use iSize H=1080 and iSize W=5760 for a 3x 1920x1080 landscape setup. I'm not sure if bezel correction is working with the fix yet so I'm not messing with it. If you are running monitors of a size other than 1920x1080 you need to modify your horizontal offset in Hayden's eyefinity fixer (should be self explanatory).

Enjoy!

Pics: http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/631856881910256540/D0CE7A76ABCF8206C091D27386042B6714E6B5CF/

Running ultra settings with FXAA instead of MSAA. Sitting at ~60fps+

Last edited:
Also, the production drivers that fixes crossfire and eyefinity do come out this week if you don't want to mess with DLLs and such.

hows the performance with crossfire/eyefinity?

If previous experience with crossfire/eyefinity has taught me anything, probably heinous. Nothing says stutter better than Crossfinity.

If previous experience with crossfire/eyefinity has taught me anything, probably heinous. Nothing says stutter better than Crossfinity.

Your previous experience is with the 5xxx series. The 6xxx series performs great in crossfire/eyefinity. I'm assuming you will say that it stutters in BC2 -- the 6xxx series does not stutter in BC2 crossfire/eyefinity either. That's part of the reason that I sold my 5870 when I upgraded to crossfire.

I've dipped into the 40's a few times near big cities, but typically am locked at 60fps.

Running 11.10 with 11.9Cap4 and the .dll dropped in the folder. All Ultra, no MSAA, FXAA enabled.

Last edited:
I know it's pretty bad that AMD could not even implement a standard DirectX feature like AA. Similar to what happened with StarCraft II. That's kind of what people are complaining about.

That is the most thinly veiled fanboi comment I have come across in a while. You must try harder.:D
The troll is obvious. You clearly know BMAA was a Nvidia sponsored game. Right? Ya, of course you did :(

Your previous experience is with the 5xxx series. The 6xxx series performs great in crossfire/eyefinity. I'm assuming you will say that it stutters in BC2 -- the 6xxx series does not stutter in BC2 crossfire/eyefinity either. That's part of the reason that I sold my 5870 when I upgraded to crossfire.

I've dipped into the 40's a few times near big cities, but typically am locked at 60fps.

Running 11.10 with 11.9Cap4 and the .dll dropped in the folder. All Ultra, no MSAA, FXAA enabled.

More than J=just BC2, the problem rears it head in pretty much anything running triple head to varying degree's of severity. I've also observed the problem a 6970 crossfire/eyefinity rig so it's hardly exclusive to the 5xxx cards. The only time it goes away is when you can render out to 120fps. From what I can tell it's do to the drivers not passing the display information to the secondary card, as a result everything flips the fuck out and you get a whole bunch of problems where the second card regularly out draws it's share of the frame data (especially when vsync is enabled).

The problem doesn't show up on Nvidia surround rigs because you have to have displays connected to both cards.

I use FXAA, 460gtx SLI, getting 60FPS+ 90% of the time.. only in crowded city that it drops to 35-40.. , so i'am happy!

as a result everything flips the fuck out and you get a whole bunch of problems where the second card regularly out draws it's share of the frame data (especially when vsync is enabled).

Sigh.

No Bethesda game works properly with Crossfire OR Eyefinity. CF needs to be disabled for both Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Not surprised to see it having a problem here.

As for the above comment, things are flawless in Metro 2033, BC2, and Dirt 3 on Crossfinity 6950 unlocked.

I have Skyrim running very well on just one of my two 5870s. I get frame rates as high as 170fps inside interiors and up to 70fps outside. Never seen it go lower than 35fps either. Anyone with Crossfire needs to be running RadeonPro so that you can set up custom configs per game.

I can see noticeable fisheye at fov=90 on a 1920x1080 monitor in both the vertical and horizontal directions. I've settled on 85 or so. See here for the CF fix:

I see a bit of fish eye but nothing so bad I can't live with it. Short FOV in first person games makes me nauseous so a bit of fisheye is better than feeling like I am going to puke. I have had to quit playing Red Orchetra2 numerous times now due to feeling nauseous because the assholes locked the max FOV at 75. I suppose their reasoning is that a person with a wide FOV gets an advantage so they locked it between 70 75 but they do not realize they are robbing people like me of being able to play the game I paid them for.

This claim that 6xxx series is better than 5xxx series in Xfire is not true. I made certain of that when I bought my second 5870 because people here where telling me to buy two new 6850s instead. It is BS.

This claim that 6xxx series is better than 5xxx series in Xfire is not true. I made certain of that when I bought my second 5870 because people here where telling me to buy two new 6850s instead. It is BS.

You are wrong. I owned 2 5850's, 1 5970, and 2 6950's. Crossfinity is much better with Cayman.

As for Barts (6850/6870), I'm not surprised because they are Cypress derived.

I can see noticeable fisheye at fov=90 on a 1920x1080 monitor in both the vertical and horizontal directions. I've settled on 85 or so.

Yeah, I ended up using 80 because anything higher and I notice the fisheye.

I'm discusted...
"discusted" - new word that means you're disgusted and they lost a customer.

;)

Yeah, i feel bad for the people with multi GPU configurations, there's really no excuse for this shit.
Wrong. There are good reasons. For instance, most people don't have SLI/CFX.

:)

No problems with Skyrim (or Deus Ex, BF3, or any other games really) on my 6970.

Not saying people aren't having genuine issues, but I can say for certain all these issues are not universal to a certain video card or vendor.

I can not comment on possible Crossfire issues though.

Screenshots?

I've got the Extreme DNI .ini up and running and it is like nothing I've ever seen. Incredible. Ambient occlusion helps quite a bit as well.

I can confirm there is serious VRAM usage in caves, exceeding 1500MB and strangling my GTX590 like nobody's business. Goes from 60fps to 3 fps and back again. If I can figure out what setting in the caves is causing the excessive VRAM usage I would scale that back a bit and be good.

I want to try this sooo bad but I can not get it to work any Ideas?? I set the DNI .INI to read only and typed in my card AMDRadeaonHD6900Series but it does not work. Any thoughts??

There's a whole thread on bethesda forums bout stuttering and freezes. Mostly in winxp Crash to desktop and lock ups.
They asked ppl to post their dxdiag to pinpoint the problem ? Anyways i been getting all of the above...randomly. Lowest setting still does it. There's a dirty fix :( but it works ....setting backward compatibility to win95 on the TESV.exe in skyrim folder. You get abysmal performance , like almost half . but i didn't freeze once.

The sense is that probably less than 5% of pc gamers have a SLI config, in fact 5% is probably been very generous.

Wait, so because 5% of gamers have multi GPU setups it's ok for the vendors that sell such setups to not properly support them?

Until you apply this, that is.

(Skyrim Nexus link to Large Address Aware patch)

More tweaks constantly referenced at the page for this "Enhanced Skyrim Project" guide.
Linky Linky to Skyrim Nexus

Hey! I never said there wasn't a fix :D

Merely that i know the exe uses 2gb as the application limit without modification.

What sucks about that patch is that if you want to get updates to the game through steam, you need to go back and forth between exe's and then reapply the patch to the new updated exe each time.

I'm running the modified config off that website with most of the stuff turned up a ways, really helped the shadows and the water reflections and how the water looks, as well as of course adding shadowing to ground objects and trees.

Didn't turn on ambient occlusion because i only have a 560 ti and i'm pretty sure it would rape the vram since it's only got 1gb.

I didn't really see a mention of this - anyone else getting choppy camera when there are fire and/or fog effects on screen? It doesn't seem like my FPS are affected, but it makes the camera a little stuttery. I even noticed it a tiny bit on the console one, but because it was only 30 fps, it was less pronounced.

I didn't really see a mention of this - anyone else getting choppy camera when there are fire and/or fog effects on screen? It doesn't seem like my FPS are affected, but it makes the camera a little stuttery. I even noticed it a tiny bit on the console one, but because it was only 30 fps, it was less pronounced.

This. I noticed it gets alittle choppy whenever i have a flame spell active. I switched to using electricity because of this.

Not a huge issue, but it is pretty annoying.

I started looking around on the Bethesda forums and I guess it's related to how shadows work. I saw some ini commands that can be used to lessen/fix the fire/smoke choppiness...so I'll give that a try this evening.

Skyrim auto detected High graphics settings for me. So using the custom INI maker I picked all the "high" settings.

This sound about right, or do you guys think I could bump it up a bit more?

I'm running an i5-750 at 3.21Ghz with 8GB of RAM and a 5870.

Skyrim auto detected High graphics settings for me. So using the custom INI maker I picked all the "high" settings.

This sound about right, or do you guys think I could bump it up a bit more?

I'm running an i5-750 at 3.21Ghz with 8GB of RAM and a 5870.

Depends on your tolerance for framerates. I'm on similar hardware and sticking with "high" settings except I'm also using ultra detail on decals. I'm pretty anal about wanting 60fps pretty much all of the time, and you should be able to pull that on high.
In playing with some of the other settings, you can definitely see a fall-off. I tend to back off AA to keep the framerates as high as possible, though.

Back