The edit feature

Would you prefer extendet edit features ?

• Yes please.

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • It doesn't matter to me.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I rather have it the way it is now.

Votes: 8 66.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cov

Gawd
Hi, I have noticed that after one has published a posting, he is still able to edit for approx 3 minutes or so, without getting a remark.
After that a remark underneath the posting will be placed, that says date and reason for editing.

I think this remark is rather ugly and uneccessary. Why does it have to be there in the first place ?
Sometimes it takes me more than 3 minutes to edit and BOOHM ... I get this hyper ugly remark again.

Can that feature be removed or at least extendet to 10 or 20 minutes maybe ?

Oh, and besides this why not enabling OPs to remove / close their own threads ?

[H]ard Forum might not like it, but I'm just suggesting something.

Why not read your posts before you post them? Or use the preview feature?

And to throw some fire in the mix I could say to just type faster, but meh :rolleyes:

The remark helps us readers show that there has been an edit made if one doesn't add the "EDIT:" in manually. The little serveral minute period is just the right length, right on the margin of having time to fix typo's/BBS probs and editing major parts of the post.

Not being able to delete posts helps make you decide whether to post or not in the first place, plus creates less confusion for people that are already reading the thread.

1. I do read my posts before posting and still it happens that you might want to change something afterwards.

2. I don't type slow and the edit timer is not linked to the size of text either.

3. The little several minutes period is just right for YOU. Just right sounds like just about.

4. Not being able to delete posts does not help me to decide whether to post or not. I can think of 100 reason for why one might want to delete / lock his own thread.

1. I do read my posts before posting and still it happens that you might want to change something afterwards.

Why do you have such a problem with it? Is it just aesthetics?

size of text either.

What? Big post = more time it takes you to edit it I'd imagine = edit remark. I wasn't saying much there... simply fixing a typo vs. adding in paragraphs of text, not size but just the length of time of doing each, first is quicker, second can change the meaning of the post quite a bit and takes longer, therefore you should be "penalized" with a remark.

4. Not being able to delete posts does not help me to decide whether to post or not. I can think of 100 reason for why one might want to delete / lock his own thread.

You don't know how many times I've decided against posting simply because I think it was a stupid question and can already be found w/ the search feature/google/just make my own decision/research. People deleting posts all the time is only going to allow for more trigger happy people post poorly written posts. If you need something deleted/locked...PM a mod.

That's what I would ask you rather than the OP.

I don't have a problem with it heh. I like the edit remark. :cool:

Oh, I have a problem with the OP not liking it? Oh, maybe read why I do like the way it is right now? I know he's only giving suggestions, but the most anyone here is going to do is "take a note of it".

The "edited" by tag is there mostly as an "evidence" trail, per se.

If you edit a post several hours after it was made, how will someone know your post was updated? Edits don't bump a thread up top, and someone perusing the thread may not notice any changes recently. (It also helps to avoid the "flame and edit out later" type of posts)

subscribers have the option of closing their own threads, however deleting is only allowed by a mod or admin. We wouldn't want people posting a bunch of garbage threads, then trying to delete them to cover up any wrong doing

Is it just aesthetics?
Yeah, entirely.

... can change the meaning of the post quite a bit and takes longer, therefore you should be "penalized" with a remark.
"penalized" ? Hmmm, that's a funny point of view.

You don't know how many times I've decided against posting.
Then again, if you publish it and think only afterwards that it was not so smart ... simply delete.

If you need something deleted/locked...PM a mod.
I'm not sure a mod would always delete a threat on the thread starter's request ?

The "edited" by tag is there mostly as an "evidence" trail, per se.
Ok, now I understand.

It also helps to avoid the "flame and edit out later" type of posts.
Hmm, I could imagine that people who put attention onto themselves to be flamers, would get warned and even kicked off [H]ard Forum.

Subscribers have the option of closing their own threads, however deleting is only allowed by a mod or admin.
Interesting.
We wouldn't want people posting a bunch of garbage threads, then trying to delete them to cover up any wrong doing
That could be included into the forum rules everybody has to obey by ?

(It also helps to avoid the "flame and edit out later" type of posts)
This is why I think things should absolutely stay the way they are. I have seen people do this numerous times.
I'm not sure a mod would always delete a threat on the thread starter's request ?
No, a mod won't delete a thread based on a user's request, but oftentimes they will close your thread if you request it.
That could be included into the forum rules everybody has to obey by ?
It is part of the rules, but not everyone obeys them, so this serves as evidence that someone has committed wrongdoing.

Keep what it currently is, IMO. It can prevent the following from happening:

1) Poster posts thread titled "Is [insert hot girl here] hot?"
2) Everyone replies "Yes"
3) 2 days later, changes it to "Is [insert Rosie O'Donnell, gay man, or similar here] hot?"
4) wtfsauce??

And other similar situations. Things like the above are incredibly lame.

When the forum was new all of the bell and whistles were operational, no limits on what a member could do. Over time, they were turned off one by one as they became abused. People can get quite creative on how to misuse a feature if left uncontrolled. The system we use now is a result of years of experience on what works best for the forums. As we see it now, don't fix what ain't broke. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back