The Division - officially announced for PC!

It is sounding like the new "Best in Slot" for Gear boils down to "put armor on everything, mods included"

--

State of the Game Highlights

All this goodness and yet all many people can see are the few issues. I feel for the Devs.

--

Can't bring yourself to get rid of all that Techticians Gear you spent so much time grinding for? How about repurposing into 'King of the Seeker Mine'?

Also, some night we all have off (I'm still working 2nd shift with 1 weekend a month for another 6-8 months) we need to have a reunion jmaker, jiminator, ghostwich.

I want to try something. I want to get a squad of 4, with 3 of us running 4pc FireCrest and Flame Turrets, and one Dedicated Healer. Maybe even all 4 FireCrest. We'll hit the open world or DZ and just fling flames every where, lol. Sounds hilarious to me. :p

Ah hell yeah! I was just trying out Firecrest last night. Wicked fun. That would be chaotic with 3 or 4 of them.

1.4 is so much fun right now. Frraksurred do not throw away your sentrys. Use Decisive gloves with X45 and any other HE. I was using prosperous kneepads for headshot kill credits. And for the skills, Ballistic Shield and Booster Shot. The shield rules! So much fun. I was using that in the DZ just marking everyone and even killing them on my own.You'll thank me later.

Yeah jmaker I'm learning I shouldn't have sold all my 1.3 gear because many of them retained an additional minor attribute that you cannot get on the new gear. Not the end of the world, but some of them were Seeker Mine bonuses that would have benefited a min/max build.

--

Last night I hooked up with some Randoms in the DZ and we raked in so much loot I couldn't store it or sell it fast enough. 3 hrs and I was hitting max capacity on my backpack and stash every other trip to clear my Stash. Found at least 2 pieces I could use on each of my characters, and mods up the ying yang.

I'm currently running 4 AlphaBridge and 2 Nomad with 2 Assault rifles. I really don't need the health regeneration from the Nomads except for PvP. The NPC's are almost too easy with a full squad, despite World Tier 4. I'm also working on a 4pc Predators Mark with 2pc (whichever gives 100% extra ammo) that I'm excited to try. One of my team was running it last night and it seemed like everything was bleeding, lol.

I may also try a variation of the Seeker Mine build I posted earlier, but with more armor. Haven't decided yet, looks awfully conditional to be affective.

I'll be on after midnight the next couple nights, maybe I'll see some of you.

Last edited:
Frraksurred do not throw away your sentrys. Use Decisive gloves with X45 and any other HE. I was using prosperous kneepads for headshot kill credits. And for the skills, Ballistic Shield and Booster Shot. The shield rules! So much fun. I was using that in the DZ just marking everyone and even killing them on my own.You'll thank me later.

Ooo, I have a couple X45's with Toxic on them (want one with Harmful), that would work nicely with the Shield.

Ooo, I have a couple X45's with Toxic on them (want one with Harmful), that would work nicely with the Shield.

haha, yeah I've had an X45 with harmful on it for a long time. I just need another one with coolheaded to try it. Ballistic shield was so much fun with that setup. I found a high firearms Decisive gloves, which came with DTE and Crit Chance, and I rolled Pistol Damage on it. What other HE would work with this setup? I have to do some research, I forget all of the normal gold gear talents, lol.

Anyway, that build was great especially with a group. Firecrest was fun, but I only got to use it for a short while. Everyone on Reddit seems to like the M60 with AlphaBridge.

This is what I like about the game now.....Variety! Most gear sets are now viable. I haven't even gotten to try out Predators Mark, or even Strikers yet. I was probably selling some good stuff the past couple days. I need a bigger stash now.

This is what I like about the game now.....Variety! Most gear sets are now viable. I haven't even gotten to try out Predators Mark, or even Strikers yet. I was probably selling some good stuff the past couple days. I need a bigger stash now.

Ditto, I was researching the Seeker Mine build and the guy recommended a Backpack with "Specialized". I remember selling a couple of those the night before, lol. There is SOOO much loot I feel pressured to sort my Stash quickly and make snap judgements. Ah well, it's a good problem to have.

I need to figure out where to grind 229 Signature weapons. Hopefully there will be a map / spreadsheet soon.

Is this worth picking up again, I haven't really played since a bit after the incursion dropped.

Is the patch legitimately good like I seemingly see people saying or is that the clinging few left that thinks it's rad.

Is this worth picking up again, I haven't really played since a bit after the incursion dropped.

Is the patch legitimately good like I seemingly see people saying or is that the clinging few left that thinks it's rad.

It's actually possible to get relevant loot while playing solo now.
Complete opposite of 1.3.
They've also added activities in the open-world of the Light Zone (named bosses are back, roaming mobs, all can drop relevant loot.)

It's all personal preference.
I did finally play for a couple hours last night, after a 2 month hiatus. I had fun again.

Also, some night we all have off (I'm still working 2nd shift with 1 weekend a month for another 6-8 months) we need to have a reunion jmaker, jiminator, ghostwich.

I want to try something. I want to get a squad of 4, with 3 of us running 4pc FireCrest and Flame Turrets, and one Dedicated Healer. Maybe even all 4 FireCrest. We'll hit the open world or DZ and just fling flames every where, lol. Sounds hilarious to me. :p
LOL I'm in!

This video made me grin from ear to ear, because once he started getting into the details of the build I relalized he was describing almost exactly the build I am using right now:

Not useful for PvP, but works great for everything else (provided you can maintain fairly consistent headshots, though it is just slower if you cannot).

--

A decent Pheonix Credit farm if you need them:

Can't join you guys for now, busy elsewhere, will probably get back on when 1.5 hits. But I am suspecting things will be changed before that. I mean one of the points of rebalancing was to create more build diversity, and yeah, that has happened somewhat, but now this is the new meta, no skillpower, max armor everywhere - because the alternatives... are way less useful than this build. anyway will be interesting

Can't join you guys for now, busy elsewhere, will probably get back on when 1.5 hits. But I am suspecting things will be changed before that. I mean one of the points of rebalancing was to create more build diversity, and yeah, that has happened somewhat, but now this is the new meta, no skillpower, max armor everywhere - because the alternatives... are way less useful than this build. anyway will be interesting

Agreed. It has improved substantially, but still needs work. Still we seem to be moving in the right direction where most things are concerned.

jmaker we need to get you better internet.

I logged in for a short little trip to the DZ. I need to rethink my build and figure out what weapons will work... it's a lot like starting all over again :D

I logged in for a short little trip to the DZ. I need to rethink my build and figure out what weapons will work... it's a lot like starting all over again :D

There are 2 emergent new builds that are now popular:
For PvE - 4pc AlphaBridge with M60 / Pahkan, 2pc Nomad
For PvP - 4pc Predators Mark with Savage gloves, LVOA-C / SCAR-H Marksman
or
The still viable 4pc Sentry with Savage gloves, 870 / SCAR-H

1.5 will likely see a DZ overhaul, so as always, these are just the flavors of the day. 1.4 has added back more diversity, so even though these are popular, just about all the sets can be effective in PvE.

jmaker we need to get you better internet.

But did you at least get some gear in those 10 minutes? I'm still getting those delta errors, don't know why.

maybe something in your files is out of sync, assuming you otherwise have no issues with our internet. maybe you can try nuking your division folder and reinstallingq

I'm still getting those delta errors, don't know why.

That sucks! I still get the audio bugs where it sounds like people are running behind you and I only get like half of the first word of trash mob dialogue. I'm going to try and verify my file integrity and see if that does anything.

--

A couple of data dense videos worth a watch:

Burst and sustained weapon damage numbers for ALL 1.4 weapons

Another reason not to throw away your Tacticians Gear, plus some good generic stats during the last half of the vid

Thanks for posting all these videos Frraksurred. I can't keep up with half of the new stuff, so this helps. I still get that audio bug where you hear someone behind you, but it's not as pronounced and it's only randomly.

There's also another major bug I'm getting in the Dark Zone. Have you guys encountered this yet? When I'm about to call in an extraction, my character does the whole shooting the flare animation, but then nothing happens after that. There's no message that an extraction is in progress. I would call it, then go into cover or watch mode, and then I'm like WTF, no extraction? So anyway, that doesn't just happen to me, so they need to look at that.

I'm almost a little overwhelmed with how many different builds and weapons that I want to try now. I felt bad for ghostwich. I was like 'yeah so much loot drops in the dark zone now, we'll gear you up with whatever you want in less than an hour'......and then I got Deltad 5 minutes later. I know I play this a lot, but I'm not sure how much time you have with this game.

Still have not even tried an Incursion yet. I'm having a lot of fun back in the Dark Zone.

Watching those videos make me :(. I haven't been able to really play in the past week, I keep getting CTD while playing, sometimes game will crash after 10 mins, other times I can play for an hour before a CTD. I've tried everything to fix the problem short of uninstalling/reinstalling the game which I will be doing tonight.

So long story short: Hungry Hog + make a set that makes you happy (or do the tactician adjusted meta) as long as it has armor.

the Hungry Hog is a sought after weapon now? if i remember the count correctly i've sold 4 of them in the past. bet i won't be able to stumble on one now to save my life :D

the Hungry Hog is a sought after weapon now? if i remember the count correctly i've sold 4 of them in the past. bet i won't be able to stumble on one now to save my life :D
It appears to have gotten some buffs, including the damage out of cover, etc.

So long story short: Hungry Hog + make a set that makes you happy (or do the tactician adjusted meta) as long as it has armor.

LVOA-C and G36 are also good options as the M60 / Hungry Hog are slower rate of fire weapons and therefor not the best for every situation (such as PvP).

Same here, I must have sold a dozen of these back in 1.2, wish I had one back now. The M60 is a strong LMG this patch, and the Hungry Hog variation gets nearly a 20% base stats buff (and spawns with random talants like a no name weapon). I've been hunting for one for 5 days now and haven't seen one yet. Since the above vid, it seems everyone is looking for one.

I have however found a pretty stout M60 with Brutal, Deadly (rerolled) & Fierce and the highest base stats I've found so far. With my AlphaBridge set I add Meticulous (which is awesome on a 200 round mag), Vicious and Destructive. After modding my gloves for LMG damage, it wrecks! I still need to find a decent enough AlphaBridge Holster, and then I can replace my gloves with a Savage set, and my Backpack with a Specialized set. This will nudge my DPS up that last little bit. Then I REALLY need to work on getting my Stamina closer to 5k (at 4200 now).

--

Saw my first hacker since before 1.3 last night. He was 1-shooting people with shotgun from sniper range and teleporting all over so you couldn't shoot him. He cleared out the server we were in so no one was left but NPC's. Rogues are a thing again, but I see them maybe 20% of the time. Most my time in the DZ has been nearly effortless farming (with a 4 man crew of randoms, not solo). There is so much loot we have to either be really picky, or extract every 1.5 Landmarks. Shot, we get enough gold / green drops off the trash mobs at the extraction, we could probably extract after each landmark. We don't even have to run circuits anymore. One landmark and a nearby Subway and you've got more loot than you can carry. The Park area and the Midtown area turn over so fast you cannot extract fast enough.

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if Massive doesn't eventually nerf the drop rates a little after their player numbers have returned. Depends on how many people complain about it being too easy I guess.

Last edited:
I will say, speaking as someone who was stuck between hard/challenging pre-patch, the drop rates seem absurdly high for the difficulty now. Granted, getting "god roll" weapons should still take awhile, and I've seen wide ranges where some stuff is effectively useless, but still...

Is this game worthwhile for single player? I have little to no interest in multiplayer/pvp, or commoditized online items farming.

yes, moreso than ever before. lots of people like to do SP but could not effectively because the best content required the highest difficulties. Those difficulties were brutally punishing for SP since they required coordinated teams to complete and SP could not kill fast enough. The last patch fixes all that and gives SP many additional surviveability tools.

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if Massive doesn't eventually nerf the drop rates a little after their player numbers have returned. Depends on how many people complain about it being too easy I guess.

At this time what would be the point of nerfing drops? Word Tiers gave them a way to gate/meter progress, and PVP is still kind of a nebulous conceptual thing.

I'd say, keep the drops as they are, adjust things like armor and skills, and get to the rest of their planned DLC. 1.4 fixed a lot, for sure, but with the EOY releases I don't think we'll ever see the support or playerbase come back :(

At this time what would be the point of nerfing drops? Word Tiers gave them a way to gate/meter progress, and PVP is still kind of a nebulous conceptual thing.

I'd say, keep the drops as they are, adjust things like armor and skills, and get to the rest of their planned DLC. 1.4 fixed a lot, for sure, but with the EOY releases I don't think we'll ever see the support or playerbase come back :(

There is no point in nerfing drop rates now, and if Massive did choose to do that, I highly doubt it would be any time soon. As you pointed out, there are lots of other things for them to focus on, and currently I'm sure they are more interested in whatever gets their player base back.

--

This is long, but exceptionally good discussion:

Last edited:
State of the Game

• Console fixes coming
  • 1.5 "soon"
  • PTS returning for 1.5, including wanting to test Armor penetration (like what is on Assault Rifles and with the Destructive talent) in PvP, plus potentially stacking this ability overall

Last half was Q&A with no real new info.

Marco makes some incredible videos, kudos to him. This looks like something that may get nerfed ahead. seems quite a bit easier to make than the solo build shown earlier

Lol, yeah I've been running that build for over a week now. Why in the world would this get nerfed? Nobody used the Ballistic Shield pre 1.4. Now it's fun. There's still some bugs with it like me not being able to call extraction and even the shield getting clipped on objects in the map. Dammit, now more people are going to be running this. I've only seen 1 other person use this in the Dark Zone and it was just some random we picked up one time.

His build is probably the more balanced and smarter shield build. I went the extreme the other way. Just straight firearms, glass shieldy. All my mods are probably firearms w/armor, and all performance mods are Ballistic shield damage. And I go with the Assault shield. I even opted for a Sentry holster for some extra pistol damage. I probably will use a vigorous chest and I too use Booster Shot. Talents I use are One is None, On the Move, Shrapnel, and prob Combat Medic. And I too have an X45 with Harmful for the second talent. The highest I've seen on my character screen is 321k dps for the pistol, lol.

I agree with him that it's different and a lot of fun. Of course my problem is when I get shot from behind or get flanked. Them I'm done with how squishy I am. But I have defended myself against 2 or 3 people a couple of times now. I haven't used it in a couple of days because I keep on trying different builds.

Is this game worthwhile for single player? I have little to no interest in multiplayer/pvp, or commoditized online items farming.

Yes, for sure. I just picked it up a couple of weeks ago and I'm really, really enjoying the game. It's quite fun solo. I just hit world tier 3 and still having a ton of fun.

Hey guys, I put this game down after playing for the first week for reasons not pertaining to the game. I just started again last night and when I try to use the automatic matchmaking it just spins and nothing. I am only level 17 but I thought there had to be people still playing or coming back with the new 1.4 build. Maybe Im doing something wrong! Any suggestions? my name in game is "budd74" incase someone could help a old guy out a little;)

Hey guys, I put this game down after playing for the first week for reasons not pertaining to the game. I just started again last night and when I try to use the automatic matchmaking it just spins and nothing. I am only level 17 but I thought there had to be people still playing or coming back with the new 1.4 build. Maybe Im doing something wrong! Any suggestions? my name in game is "budd74" incase someone could help a old guy out a little;)

I imagine most the community is over level 30, which is why you're having trouble finding people. You are not doing anyting wrong, the spinning animation is just there to tell you it is looking for players. I use it a lot going into the DZ, and I get the same animation.

I would gladly come help you out, unfotunately my character would make all the enemies level 25 or higher and consequently make the game no fun for you. Now, if you ever want to power level (level to 30 as fast as possible), we can get a group of us to esocrt you through all the missions. It will get you to level 26, roughly, and then you can do side missions to finish the last few levels off. With all that said, I don't recommend it for your first character. The most enjoyable part of this game is the 1-30 leveling "campaign". I would take my time and enjoy it. After you've gotten one character there, then if you want to speed boost another, try the power leveling tip above.

I've over 600 hrs in the game now, and there are guys here with more than me, so feel free to ask questions. Most of us enjoy helping out.

I think I'm going to try out FireCrest tonight. I've got my AlphaBridge and Predators Mark builds pretty much where I want them. My Ballistic Shield build still needs work as I found out last night, but I need to farm some "resilience" mods for it. It's time I burn everything to the ground, lol. jiminator haven't you been running some FireCrest? Got any tips for me? What 2pc do you like? How did you balance Firearms, Stamina and Electronics? Any weapons and weapons talents you found useful for the build?

I think I currently have a Vigorous chest and Savage gloves, and then the 4pc FC. I'm using the talent that ignites enemies within a 10m radius, but I don't remember what weapons I have on that character. Think I may have the Liberator in my backpack, but a Brutal G36 as my main. Any help would be useful, thanks in advance.

--

So last night I had some fun. An old friend who hadn't played in a while joined me, then one of the Randoms was new to 1.4 as well, so I got to play Instructor for a while. A solo player tried to Rogue us in almost comic style. It did not end well for him, but we had a good laugh.

Later after everyone had bailed I tried my Shield build in the DZ for the first time. It worked well enough for PvE, albeit painfully slow. PvP however I did not fair well at all. I had medium Firearms, high toughness and lower medium Electronics. Was using the build Marco highlighted with my best Harmful pistol and 870. Ran into lots of Rogues, and none of them had a problem taking me down. I may need to rebalance into Firearms. I definitely need to get my armor higher and find some better mods (new character).

One of my alts runs firecrest and the turret is really fast on it's cool down with nothing in electronics. I think mine is firearms heavy with a decent AR and SMG although if I had another good LMG I'd likely be using it instead of the SMG but only one across all four characters so far. I find firecrest to be simply fun for anything below the toughest stuff but the turret isn't quite as effective against a full room/street ful of elites. My turret is almost never destroyed unless there are several heavy types. I can't recall what my mods are but I changed them away from health after seeing how tough they are. Range and damage maybe.

It's a really fun set, I'd recommend everyone throwing a set on an alt at least to play around with.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I think I have a specialized back pack and a reckless chest as my other two items. Nomad, lone star, whichever one is stability if ar/mmr would probably all be fun as well depending on your play style.

Back