The Cycle : Season 1 (The Lost Prospector) F2P on Epic

Burticus

Supreme [H]ardness
https://www.thedrastikmeasure.com/2019/10/22/yagers-the-cycle-season-1-begins-today-pc/

I know everyone here just LOVES the Epic store... LOL. But anyway today I saw a new F2P game there called The Cycle. I haven't played it, downloading now, but if you are bored, cheap, and have time to kill, go look at it.

Just from the video it kind of reminds me of Apex Legends vs Team Fortress 2 vs Destiny (and I'm sure one could tack on a few more similar ones in there)

Hey, free is free, right?

"The Cycle is a match-based first-person shooter with a focus on PvEvP action: complete jobs, defeat hostile lifeforms, gear up with new weapons and powers, out-score other prospectors, and make it off the planet alive before it kills you. The Cycle delivers a competitive multiplayer experience where everyone can survive, but how you choose to stake your claim can make all the difference — form squads with friends, make uneasy alliances with strangers, or go it alone."

PSA - I have nothing to gain nor do I endorse this game, I was bored and thought I'd share something new. Don't frag the messenger! :)

There are three things in the title alone that makes me cinge:

1. Season 1 = Live service games
  2. F2P = Mictrotransaction based game
  3. Epic store = The only player in town daring to be brave and bring exclusivity practices to the PC

Looks exactly like a Fortnite-styled Hunt: Showdown clone, but I feel like that is giving it too much credit... looks generic as all get out.

Sorry, hard pass from me.

epic is entering the aesthetic territory where their games look like it could be something fake created for a movie or tv show where they needed it to scream "I AM A VIDEO GAME"

I thought it was fun when I played a couple months ago.
It isn't pay to win at all.
It's an interesting mix of PvE and PvP, and the thing where you can sort of ally with someone but they could betray you later was pretty cool. The flying mining ships and stuff are pretty cool too.

I'll probably try it again sometime with a group of friends.

I'll admit I'd at least be interested in the "PVEVP" dynamic bringing something ostensibly new (though Hunt and Firefall did that before) to the "royale" genre. I don't even necessarily hate the "battle pass" system, but its always annoying that it is atop other things you need to pay to get, lootboxes etc - it isn't like you pay for the Battle Pass and you get all the cosmetics in the game as unlockables etc. With all the cosmetics they mentioned though, it looks like this is going to be again highly predicated on microtransactions / lootboxes (or is that "recurrent user spending" and "surprise mechanics" these days?) .

Of course the big frustration is the Epic Store. I object to how they've behaved on just about every level, but I'm honestly surprised that that Epic would "want" this to be an exclusive, given that Fortnite is their cash cow. The aesthetics and part of the gameplay loop basically seem to tap the same audience as Fortnite, so I'd be surprised if they'd have offered an exclusivity deal for something like this. Bad ideas all around though on exclusivity. Hell, if it wasn't for that I'd probably give them a try just to be fair.

I thought it was fun when I played a couple months ago.
It isn't pay to win at all.
It's an interesting mix of PvE and PvP, and the thing where you can sort of ally with someone but they could betray you later was pretty cool. The flying mining ships and stuff are pretty cool too.

I'll probably try it again sometime with a group of friends.

dang, i might have to install the epic client and give this a go now. looks really fun!

how much are they paying you. i want in.

So I played some training missions and the game looks quasi interesting, almost like a multiplayer No Mans Sky (when you're on the planet). The gfx look crisp but cartoony-ish so 4k is overkill for this game, even with settings maxxed it all still looks kinda .....I need to screw around with the controls more, most things work fine by default with a controller but I still had to use keyboard for some things. And all the action prompts refer to keyboard anyway.

I don't have a ton of interest in collecting resources to buy a better gun, to kill more creatures, to get more money, to buy a better gun, etc etc. So this one is probably not for me. But hey it didn't cost anything to figure that out, so that's a plus.

Back