The biggest FAIL in Intel Company History? But one of the MOST BEAUTIFUL CPUs ever

erek

[H]F Junkie
From the comments below!

" I spent years migrating off HP-UX on PA-RISC, because HP decided to replace both Alpha (which they got with Compaq, who got it with DEC) and their PA-RISC with Itanium, with no regards to compatibility. There was no upgrade path, Itanium port of HP-UX was really a new OS, not to mention software. Sure, there was a lot of software, but you couldn't even copy data over, you had to run whatever export/import/migration tools with all the caveats. Not to mention custom stuff some grey-bearded wizard wrote in the 90s that works fine, but you need to rewrite it for no good reason. Having to migrate over to something completely new - that changed everything. Instead of the usual "we can buy a new HP mainframe for $2M, or buy one from someone else cheaper, but invest $1M in migrating and certifying our new environment", now it was "we need to spend $1M on the migration, let's see if it's worth going for the new $2M HP mainframe". That's when my corpo got a better offer from IBM and we moved to POWER frames. How could HP be such short-sighted? It gets better: because some really old software needed updating and recompiling, so much work has been done for portability that... it was then easier to escape from the mainframe onto your standard cheap Xeon servers. HPE servers running Intel :) They're back in business, I guess? Of course they still lost a lot of money in the mean time, and the bad move 20 years ago cost them some really loyal Big Iron customers, which are now buying 10 times cheaper stuff. A win for consumers in the end :) Some people were stubborn and stuck with OpenVMS or HP-UX, so Itanium still exists and HPE (or rather its customers) are paying millions just to keep the fabs running. Pretty grim situation. "

I posted on there but HP-UX did have a PARISC binary emulator for Itanium. I have no idea how good it is since I never used it but it existed to ease transition. I've got my RX2600 sitting next to me still lol, have Windows Server 2008 and HP-UX on it. Forced migrations for architecture changes have always existed in these markets though, Sun was the only one that kept binary compatibility from the start to finish really, HP, DEC, IBM, Compaq, SGI, etc. did not.

I really have no idea what the person is saying when "you cannot copy data over" this has never been a problem they use the same filesystem and endianness. Perhaps there was some issue with their specific software but that doesn't seem like a platform limitation in that case.

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-a00021287en_us

Found doc about it: https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-c03458287

Last edited:
Reactions: erek
like this
I posted on there but HP-UX did have a PARISC binary emulator for Itanium. I have no idea how good it is since I never used it but it existed to ease transition. I've got my RX2600 sitting next to me still lol, have Windows Server 2008 and HP-UX on it. Forced migrations for architecture changes have always existed in these markets though, Sun was the only one that kept binary compatibility from the start to finish really, HP, DEC, IBM, Compaq, SGI, etc. did not.

I really have no idea what the person is saying when "you cannot copy data over" this has never been a problem they use the same filesystem and endianness. Perhaps there was some issue with their specific software but that doesn't seem like a platform limitation in that case.

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-a00021287en_us

Found doc about it: https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-c03458287
iirc, from what I read, x86 emulation on itanium was really slow, and could at most be used as a stop-gap solution while you migrated to native solutions (if they existed). Is PARISC emulation the same thing?

iirc, from what I read, x86 emulation on itanium was really slow, and could at most be used as a stop-gap solution while you migrated to native solutions (if they existed). Is PARISC emulation the same thing?
Probably a little bit faster since x86 is a complex instruction set while PA is a reduced instruction set so might be a little faster to emulate but the guy replied back saying it was not available at the time. I guess his company was probably thinking of buying a new system when the itaniums came out otherwise I don't think it would have been a big deal if they had waited.

at where i worked (98-00) our code name was Itanic (eye-tanic)

it was half as fast and cost twice as much as the machine it was targeted to go against.

i was one of many many that helped in porting our OS over with a gazillion #ifdef IA64 to do the big to little switcheroo
im not sure if the end product saw the light of day after several hundred million dollars of work

Back