The big Scoop as I see it

BillR

Born Again Cynic
Ok, here is the deal at the moment. The other day 7im and I exchanged a number of PMs over at the other forum and I did get some answers.

The first is something VJ himself said the other day; they want and really need a cross platform client. That in itself is a major issue I have been bitching about for years now as well as the undying devotion virtually everyone in science has to coding in FORTAN.

You can Google FORTRAN till you are blue in the face and you will after all your hard work find there are only two answers.

A-It’s always been done that way.

B-It’s a very easy language to teach.

That’s it, no secrets; in the end not one person can get past those two points.

Stanford and folding are not the only ones stuck in this antique endless loop, NASA, anyone having anything to do with Astronomy, Biology and numerous other areas of research all use this common language.

One other big commonality they all share is the use of any number of the “ix” OS’s Linux, Unix, OSX (Jobs gives a lot of hardware to schools, go figure) and any other equivalent OS. There is no good reason not to use these Os’s in fact they are perfectly suited to the task.

The big bugaboo in all this is, you guessed it, Windows. There is very little written for science, or the sciences I mentioned, for Windows.

There in lies the big issue, how do you write code that performs equally on multiple operating systems?

Those who remember the Amber work units remembers how well they performed on Intel CPUs but sucked big time on AMD. In that case it was not an OS issue it was an Intel being the assholes they are issue. They would not allow the code to be compiled for both CPU’s, only theirs. Prior to that time AMD held an obvious edge over Intel.

Ok, my point. This post is from a neutral position and those who know me know that doesn’t come lightly.

Stanford, to get the data they need is forced to write code for everybody involved or face a ton of bad commentary and or people dropping out.

What Stanford won’t ask anyone to do, pay attention here, is ask as many users as possible switch to Linux. With one OS to deal with neither science or points would suffer at all, in fact both would gain in a really big way. Running dual clients on a Quad would suddenly cut your points while running a properly written core optimized for one OS would up your points.

Now, this part is just a guess, but, my guess is Stanford won’t ask anyone to do this because this is all voluntary. So, by not being honest and upfront about this whole problem they end up pissing off more people then if they would just do it and be done with it.

Instead there is a big fear of upsetting one group of users or another. Thus we end up with the cloak of secrecy we have now which is nothing if non productive.

So, all that said it is my opinion that Stanford simply announce the change and live with the bitching. For the corporate farmers, keep what you have, they produce enormous amounts of work. Windows users can use VM with one client per quad more efficiently and even the MAC guys are covered.

There, somebody said it out loud. Nobody can please all of the people all of the time, so, Stanford, stop trying.

Just so you know how serious I am I posted this at the “official forums as well. I also asked VJ and Kasson for verification on my summery.;)

FYI, Fortran is used in by Physicists, they use it even at CERN. and now the Fortran has a 64 bit version

Yes, I allowed for other uses in my post.

The point I am trying to make is simple. Too much time and resources are being wasted on trying to fit a square hole in a round peg…..or was that the other way around;)

In the past 6 years people like myself have invested in this heavily. I have stacks of Dual Socket “A” machines that are useless, Plenty of AMD boxes that are now not worth running and quite a few P-4 systems all now equally useless if you are paying for the power to run them.

Now I’m well into a new Quad farm, which makes my forth generation in major investments, for which there will be zero return.

KillerMob, Majic, King_n Cable Twin, Redshred, Gaiden relic etc have all been through this at no small expense.

All I’d like to do is get this whole thing to gel and get on with production.

A simple goal don’t you think;)

As for the VM in Windows, are there versions of VMware that allow usage of all 4 cores? I know the free Player doesn't and last I checked, Workstation was also limited to 2 cores per instance.

As for the VM in Windows, are there versions of VMware that allow usage of all 4 cores? I know the free Player doesn't and last I checked, Workstation was also limited to 2 cores per instance.
I asked this in a recent thread, and as far as VMware is concerned, it is only supported in the versions you have to pay for. However, there is a ton of other VM software that might do the trick for free. I postponed my research into the matter and haven't tried any yet, but others here are more familiar with some of this software and they might offer advice on how to proceed doing what you inquired about.

I would also suggest that the majority of folders are the one that put F@H on their home computers or gaming computer and they would lose that huge chunk of science if they required the use of linux.

I tried linux once and it was pretty hair pulling for someone who has never used it... it doesn't always play well with drivers and new hardware. Plus it out right didnt' work with one of my video cards...

For them to truly get people to linux they need to do something like NoFred's CD... I never tried that... but the point being it has to be simple and painless.

Yes, I allowed for other uses in my post.

The point I am trying to make is simple. Too much time and resources are being wasted on trying to fit a square hole in a round peg…..or was that the other way around;)

In the past 6 years people like myself have invested in this heavily. I have stacks of Dual Socket “A” machines that are useless, Plenty of AMD boxes that are now not worth running and quite a few P-4 systems all now equally useless if you are paying for the power to run them.

Now I’m well into a new Quad farm, which makes my forth generation in major investments, for which there will be zero return.

KillerMob, Majic, King_n Cable Twin, Redshred, Gaiden relic etc have all been through this at no small expense.

All I’d like to do is get this whole thing to gel and get on with production.

A simple goal don’t you think;)

I guess I don't get it.

Is the reason for you post:

1. to say stop supporting Windows clients, or live with the issues
-or-
2. Make the socket A/P4 machines productive and valuable again?

Abandoning Windows would be suicide.

I agree.

If anything, they should code for Windows and drop Linux. Mainly because Stanford can ride tthe Microsoft wave. Just strictly for the number of Windows users.

I think what he is saying other science programs have figured this part out and don't have the transparency issues we are seeing in F@H?

/shrug... I too am a bit confused...

Please excuse me BillR, but I'm one one of the people that don't get it either. :confused:

As much as I do love winders, I have 4x retail copies of WinXP 32 bit (I have made a "slipstreamed" disk with SP3), I also have 1x WinXP 64 bit retail copy disk (what a hassle) and I'll probably go with VISTA Premium once some of the problems are straightened out (I figure it's like when WinXP first hit the bricks)

The deal is I use WinXP ATM on my main boxen (Q6600) because it seems to be compatible with just about everyything and I think it's used by most of the computer people out there making it easy to ask for help (private individuals use on PC's, and discounting MAC users, but not in anyway putting them down) ;)

But I have ATM 2x dedicated folders (E6600's) and my "main" boxen (Q6600) is also folding 24/7. The 2x E6600's fold in Linux 64 bit and will remain so because while it's not as universal IMO as winders, it seems to fold much better (LinuxSMP) and also, IMO, they've made it so easy to setup and tweak (the open source thing) it's not funny. :D

In my adventures of messing around with computers I have managed to just scratch the suface in a few of the "higher level" languages (it's been a while, is that term outdated?, like Denniis Ritchie's C, a little C++, some Pascal, the old outdated COBOL and, of course, BASIC) Let's just say I learned how to say "Hello World" in a few languages (in some of the languges that's about it :().

The fact I can go into the Linux code and modify it (unlike winders) is probably what attracts me and a lot of other people over to Linux (of course that's not the only attraction) because most computer people IMO are "born tweakers", they've just got to get under the "hood" and make adjustments (ie OC'ing, adding functions, modding things, etc) It seems "no matter what" a computer person is gonna' try and make it better, that's why IMO F@H is so perfectly matched with computer "nuts". :p

I'm sorry this post is so long winded and I am very appologetic if it's also missing that "great point in tha' sky", in other words "off topic"

Basically, Bill is saying that Windows is as much the reason the clients and progress with the performance of clients is held back. Since the *nix based OSes and their offshoots share a similar codebase, it would be easy to write one client with optimizations much better than what we see now. This is not possible at the moment because Windows clients require a lot more work to get to a similar performance level as the *nix clients. This can be seen with the Windows SMP vs Linux SMP clients. Linux SMP clients have generally been faster and more stable on the same hardware.

If Stanford wasn't so concerned about keeping the performance of the clients between the *nix and Windows OSes close, the clients for the *nix OSes would likely be performing much better. However, Stanford is afraid to piss off Windows users and therefore spends much more time on the Windows clients trying to keep them up to speed with *nix clients while basically ignoring the *nix clients until it's time to design a new one.

This can also go another way.Completely drop support for future Windows clients while leaving the current ones running just fine (getting the SMP out of beta first I'm sure) and concentrate solely on *nix clients for the future increasing the speed of the clients compared to the current ones greatly.

By dropping the Windows client, manpower could be dropped or switched to something else and still increase the efficiency with the *nix clients greatly.

I am only going from memory on this, but I believe each time a new client is released, the *nix client always seems to have at least a small performance advantage to begin with. It normally takes a couple version changes to the Windows clients to bring them up to par with the original *nix client.

Basically, Bill is saying that Windows is as much the reason the clients and progress with the performance of clients is held back. Since the *nix based OSes and their offshoots share a similar codebase, it would be easy to write one client with optimizations much better than what we see now. This is not possible at the moment because Windows clients require a lot more work to get to a similar performance level as the *nix clients. This can be seen with the Windows SMP vs Linux SMP clients. Linux SMP clients have generally been faster and more stable on the same hardware.

If Stanford wasn't so concerned about keeping the performance of the clients between the *nix and Windows OSes close, the clients for the *nix OSes would likely be performing much better. However, Stanford is afraid to piss off Windows users and therefore spends much more time on the Windows clients trying to keep them up to speed with *nix clients while basically ignoring the *nix clients until it's time to design a new one.

This can also go another way.Completely drop support for future Windows clients while leaving the current ones running just fine (getting the SMP out of beta first I'm sure) and concentrate solely on *nix clients for the future increasing the speed of the clients compared to the current ones greatly.

By dropping the Windows client, manpower could be dropped or switched to something else and still increase the efficiency with the *nix clients greatly.

I am only going from memory on this, but I believe each time a new client is released, the *nix client always seems to have at least a small performance advantage to begin with. It normally takes a couple version changes to the Windows clients to bring them up to par with the original *nix client.

Thank you for the explanation SmokeRngs, you know how us "understanding challenged" people are. ;)

There is no doubt IMO Windows is greatly responsible for the advancements in computer technology because they made computers understandable and advantageous for the "common people" I think it would be a very grave mistake to drop winders because I think most of the boxen out there are winders and most people, IMO, use their computers for tasks other than F@H. (dedicated 24/7 folding boxen) :)

I don't think it's any secret that there are some languages more efficient and better for certain puposes than others, but they're use is not nearly as widespread as F@H, has as many diverse users as F@H or has as many different kinds boxen as F@H. (that could be why Linux is more suited for folding, but most people use winders)

Not having near the ability or experience the F@H programmers have I really have no idea how hard or easy it would be to keep the Linux and Windows OS's closer in performance to each other in using the Folding at Home clients.

Just my uneducated $0.02 cents :p

so your saying we should all drop windows for *nix becuase some scientists refuse to learn a programming language that wasnt found on the rosetta stone?

i dont think so

nice try tho

im sure work wont mind me installing linux on our workstations, dont think anyone will notice :rolleyes:

lol

i think its a great idea, drop windows support, please... then i wont have to think twice about moving to WCG or no project at all

Finally

Most of you got it!​

Now, if you were Stanford and had to satisfy your entire user base of Windows, Nix people OSX people etc. what would YOU do?

It’s not a conspiracy of hiding the truth from everyone, the fact is if they released a magic new core today that was optimized for NIX and would use 100% of a Quad or dual Quad system the windows folks would all over them

Reverse the situation and the NIX people would scream just as loud.

Either way Stanford is going to take such a truckload of heat it would appear wiser to them to say nothing right now.

Now, go back and read between the lines of many of the past but recent posts and the Stanford dilemma becomes a bit more transparent.

How would you all solve this problem were you Stanford?

BillR, you did sum the whole situation very well and that's precisely why they are struck between a rock and a hard place when it come to this. However, there is a factor they forgot to consider : They should have adjusted so the points value between the new "magic" and running 2x SMP is the same then avoid releasing the "magic" WU to Windows till the new "magic" core is ready.

They could have avoided the issue by not letting the 2665 WU in the wild before testing is fully done.

Drop support for nix/mac and focus on PS3/WIN/GPU?

fahvd5.jpg

The real solution is this:

Bench each WU on each platform with the rule that 1760 PPD is the goal.. adjust accordingly... So yes maybe windows would do less science but at least its an even playing field. Every single WU then would have varying points based on platform... simple... sorta...

The real solution is this:

Bench each WU on each platform with the rule that 1760 PPD is the goal.. adjust accordingly... So yes maybe windows would do less science but at least its an even playing field. Every single WU then would have varying points based on platform... simple... sorta...

It's hard to do this as-is. However, Stanford has the capabilities to do like that : For a certain WU, if it perform differently in Linux and Windows, make 2 sub-wu (example : 2667-2668) where 1 is for Linux with X points and 1 for Windows with Y points. Adjust the assignment server to limit each one to a certain platform and they can get enough work back (the back-end in the WU is the same, no matter the core so science is still done).

Posted by kasson on Fri May 16, 2008 8:38 pm over on the Folding Forum.

We don't normally post regarding projects that are still in beta testing, but we wanted to make an exception in this case:

The SMP client has been yielding a number of important results for us, but its speed has been limited by less-than-ideal scaling (and less-than-optimal CPU utilization) on 4-core and higher systems. We have spent a lot of time working on this and have a new version of the A2 core that does *much* better in this regard. The first versions of this new core are almost ready for release.

Running project 2662 on this new core, we see CPU utilization of >95% on both 4-core and 8-core machines.
In conjunction with the release of project 2662, we have decided to increase the points value of its sister project (using the A1 core), project 2665. New assignments of both projects will now be worth 1920 points. This make the 2665 points yield more similar to most A1 projects; it will also substantially increase the 2662 points yield.

Because the SMP portion of our project does not operate in isolation and because we value donors to all portions of the project, in the long term we will have to re-examine the normalization of SMP points yield relative to standard and GPU clients. We will also be introducing some additional bonus schemes. But these are things to come.

Thanks for folding!

/End Quote.

Luck .............. :D

Woot Tigerbitten that is awesome news!

VJ added that eventually, they will reevaluate the points allocation *project-wide* to better reflect the value of science. Right now, it's a bit unbalanced.

VJ added that eventually, they will reevaluate the points allocation *project-wide* to better reflect the value of science. Right now, it's a bit unbalanced.

Not to piss in anyone's cereal, but this had been stated many times before.

Posted by by VijayPande on Fri May 16, 2008 9:30 pm over on the Folding Forums.

I should add that with the new high performance cores starting to mature, I am going to look to rebalance points project wide, including *all* clients. There are some disparities that need to be resolved in some uniform way, with the goal of pushing what's best for the science that's running right now.

/End Quote.

The points rebalance may well happen some time soon.
The last true one was when they changed to a P4 to bench the work-units.
It will be interesting to see which client gains PpD and if any loose some.

Luck ............... :D

Ok, this seems entirely too easy of a solution, so there's got to be something I'm missing. With as small of a performance hit you take running a VM, might it make sense to dump the Windows clients and go Linux exclusive? Then, instead of developing separate clients for different platforms, just create some user friendly installation packages to get the Linux client up and running in a VM.

Is it that the logistics and/or licensing considerations are just too much of a nightmare to get something like this to work?

Ok, this seems entirely too easy of a solution, so there's got to be something I'm missing. With as small of a performance hit you take running a VM, might it make sense to dump the Windows clients and go Linux exclusive? Then, instead of developing separate clients for different platforms, just create some user friendly installation packages to get the Linux client up and running in a VM.

Is it that the logistics and/or licensing considerations are just too much of a nightmare to get something like this to work?

Its the lack of CPU scaling thats the main issue with VM's.
Because the client is hidden inside the VM, it never gets the signal to slowdown as the non-folding CPU load increases.

Plus most free VM's are limited to 2 CPU cores, not 4.

Luck ............. :D

Interesting reading. As a new folder, I have ALOT to read up on and learn. That's why I'm here... this place is a virtual cesspool of knowledge and information... :D

Seriously, thanks to BillR for bringing this up for discussion. As a new folder, and having NO knowledge or desire to deal with unix ( since I currently am running on my everyday system which runs...you guessed it..Windows), I'd probably drop FAH for WCG if they dropped Windows support. When I can afford to expand to dedicated machines, I'd certainly look at learning enough to get nix running for the science increase..

Just my noobish .02

0.png

Interesting reading. As a new folder, I have ALOT to read up on and learn. That's why I'm here... this place is a virtual cesspool of knowledge and information... :D

Seriously, thanks to BillR for bringing this up for discussion. As a new folder, and having NO knowledge or desire to deal with unix ( since I currently am running on my everyday system which runs...you guessed it..Windows), I'd probably drop FAH for WCG if they dropped Windows support. When I can afford to expand to dedicated machines, I'd certainly look at learning enough to get nix running for the science increase..

Just my noobish .02

0.png

Don't worry, every time you think you finally got things figured out, they go and change everything on you again. :D

The last true one was when they changed to a P4 to bench the work-units.
It will be interesting to see which client gains PpD and if any loose some.

Interesting what will be the new "benchmark" system. Dual Core? Quad Core? Octo-core?

yes, a virtual sewer of knowledge! :D

Back