The big question- ZALMAN 9500 or BIG TYPHOON?

Noni

Limp Gawd
Which one?

I think the zalman looks great, but whats the difference in performance?

Thanks.

I have been investigating for many weeks and I can just say Scythe Ninja is the winner in my books. However I wanted to buy it for a new rig I'm building but the Ninja seems to be too told for my case. It will fit but very close to the side pannel 150mm toll. So I chicken out and bought the new
Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro after reading this review and also as current owner of a Freezer 7 for my P4 3.2 running cool @ 3.8

Check this review out:

http://www.3dxtreme.net/index.php?id=acfreezer64pro1

I should be getting my new Freezer 64 Pro in few days and I will post results for my new Opteron 175

I have the Big Typhoon with a Panny Panaflo 2750rpm 120mm x 38 mounted on top and it's awesome. Prolly within a degree or two or three of water cooling.

Even better than the Hyper +6 I had and that was nice also.

I've also owned 2 XP-120 Heatsinks, so far I would have to say the Big Typhoon has done the best job for me and thats saying a lot.

xXxDieselxXx said:
I have been investigating for many weeks and I can just say Scythe Ninja is the winner in my books. However I wanted to buy it for a new rig I'm building but the Ninja seems to be too told for my case. It will fit but very close to the side pannel 150mm toll. So I chicken out and bought the new
Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro after reading this review and also as current owner of a Freezer 7 for my P4 3.2 running cool @ 3.8

Check this review out:

http://www.3dxtreme.net/index.php?id=acfreezer64pro1

I should be getting my new Freezer 64 Pro in few days and I will post results for my new Opteron 175

Ehh...I don't really like that review. Only the occt graph to show temps.(occt is buggy at best imho) They stopped p95 and showed idle temps and said, "we were about 19c at load..nobody else could compete...they all failed at 60c+".
Sounds like a sponsored review to me.

Of the two choices, the Big Typhoon has gotten a lot more "street cred" than the Zalman. even on this forum, where members take every opportunity to bash a Thermaltake product. That should tell you something. I do like and use the Ninja though :)

Scythe Ninja is expensive as hell here. £45 (more expensive than the zalman 9500).

Hmm, Ill try for the Big typhoon then, if not I'll go for the zalman (personally I like the zalman better).

Thanks people.

I have the Zalman 9500 with my Opty 170 and it has about low 40'sC on load which is good for me. I didn't go for the Typhoon because of its heftiness, its like 813g while the Zalman is 530g I think (AMD recommends 450g on HSF) and I prefer the design of the zalman over the Typhoon. Of course the 9500 is pricey compared to the Big Typhoon. From what I read the Ninja (665g weight)is also a very effective HSF as well, but like 1-3 degree difference between all three. Depends on what your looking for, size, price, weight, eye candy, design and effectiveness. They are all good heatsinks and will get the job done for you whether your OC'ing or not. :cool:

I just put the CNPS9500 in my rig to replace a CNPS7000B. Wow. So light. So pretty. So so so effective. I couldn't make my chip go over 44°C no matter what I tortured it with. Idles in the mid 30°C's. It also improved the airflow of my case. Pushing the hot air right out the back exhaust fan dropped my all my temps. Even my gpu is running 1-2°C cooler thanks to the improved airflow.

The 9500 is hands down the best air cooler you can get imo. Try and snag it on sale to make it really worth it.

CNPS7000B
Idle 42°C / Load 55°C

CNPS9500
Idle 35°C / Load 44°C

Very very effective and beautiful cooler.

I can't say much for the others, but what I can say is that the Big Typhoon will get the job done. Keeps my CPU nice and cool. Either way, I don't think you will see that much of a difference, they are all optimal HS/Fs.

Back