the best processor under $100

brhinton89

Limp Gawd
what is the best processor under 100 dollars? the egg has a a64 4000 oem for $79 and there is a intel pentium d 820 for $99 dollars retail. i have a athlon xp 3000+ as we speak and i need an upgrade. i game and multitask. whick one would be better? :confused:

There's a lot more to consider. Do you want much future-proofing in the socket that you choose ? Do you want an overclockable motherboard ? Do you want to keep your current DDR or are you willing to spring for some DDR2 aswell?

The price of processor itself is one of the least significant things to be looking at here.

yes; mobo, ram, psu and video card are all considerations as well, especially when you are moving up from an Athlon XP setup.
If you are still constrained financially you might consider an AM2 Sempron setup but that will mean you'll have to buy new everything. If you go to s939 you can at least keep your ram and video card (yes, there are AGP s939 mobo's) and quite possibly your psu as well.

i have a good video card.(bfg 6800 gt) and i will change mobo"s, just bought a thermaltake silent purepower psu(560 watt) and i am buying new ram. i dont overclock, i just want something rock solid.i just need something to hold me over till febuary when i get my tax refund.

So you're planning to go Socket 939 with AGP then, or is the 6800GT actually PCI-E and unused with the Athlon XP rig?

Socket 775 boards with AGP are on the rare side too it seems, I can't find any that are upgradeable to a Conroe.

The big limiting factor in lots of upgrades is really AGP video to be honest :(

i might go with a MSI or a ASROCK board that has both pci-e and agp. i know the ASROCK board has both but not sure bout th MSI board. :eek: the bfg vid card is agp.

brhinton89 said:
i might go with a MSI or a ASROCK board that has both pci-e and agp. i know the ASROCK board has both but not sure bout th MSI board. :eek: the bfg vid card is agp.
Good luck trying to find an Asrock board. They don't make them anymore.

Back