The Best PC Gaming Controller

Analog drift is my bane... maybe I should try the WiiU Pro as suggested above. It doesn't matter what model of Xbox controller, they all seem to eventually get drift. Maybe Nintendo does a better job with dead zones, but I've used and abused so many gamecube controllers and never noticed an issue. It would be nice if MS could find a solution, I'm not a big of fan of soldering in replacement sticks as a cost savings measure.
 
I have the elite controller, and It's the best. I've tried PS4, 360, normal xbone, wii u pro, logitech gamepad, Steam controller....nothing comes even close. The Elite controller just has the quality build in it...it's hefty but tough, and the analogue sticks are very springy...after about a year of usage. My only complaint is that I've had to return a couple due to button responsiveness, but those were probably edge case scenarios. Every other controller in comparison just feels cheap, and not as precise.
 
I still use and old Gravis Gamepad Pro for the most part, but have been warming up to my Wii U controller. Every now and then I still breakout the old Duke original Xbox controller with modded cable.
 
No one has mentioned the Steam controller. Shows how popular that is. Never tried it myself.
 
No one has mentioned the Steam controller. Shows how popular that is. Never tried it myself.

I have never used one myself, but normally when you hear people talk about it you don't see very positive feedback. Some like it, some hate it and stopped using it after a few dozen hours, other have kept using it long us to just force themselves to accept that they own it and have to use it. But I have never heard the response be anything extremely praising of it. Even back then people where recommending people avoid the steam controller and get an elite instead.
 
I have never used one myself, but normally when you hear people talk about it you don't see very positive feedback. Some like it, some hate it and stopped using it after a few dozen hours, other have kept using it long us to just force themselves to accept that they own it and have to use it. But I have never heard the response be anything extremely praising of it. Even back then people where recommending people avoid the steam controller and get an elite instead.
I used to have a Gravis Pad back in the mid 90s and have used a few until the Xbox 360 controller became standard. Prior to 2006, you'd need to configure the pad in just about every game. Sometimes it worked and some times it did not. Since most games are console ports these days, almost all automatically support the 360 controller and are pre configured. I don't know how it is with other controllers including the Steam controller but if you need to configure them per game again, I'd definitely not like any controller for that sole reason.
 
I've got a big stack of 360 controllers sitting in the console on my couch for local multiplayer (all synced to the PC).

Also, an Xbone Elite controller, but it's currently synced to my X1
 
I have the elite controller and I use the elite controller. Once you get used to the paddles underneath, it really begins to shine. The shortened triggers are just icing IMO along with the all the sensitivity curves you can generate. It is just a well done widget...much like the zune. :rolleyes: Which I also own. (n) I think i'm sensing a pattern. :dead:
 
I use a Belkin N52TE and mouse for most everything. Everything else is my XB1 controller, main reason for that is for streaming from my XB1 no need for a separate controller even if there might be better.
 
I have the elite controller and I use the elite controller. Once you get used to the paddles underneath, it really begins to shine. The shortened triggers are just icing IMO along with the all the sensitivity curves you can generate. It is just a well done widget...much like the zune. :rolleyes: Which I also own. (n) I think i'm sensing a pattern. :dead:

I miss my zune. Really enjoyed the UI and audio quality of it.
 
I use a wireless 360 in my left hand + a mouse in my right hand for FPS. Keymap KB to left side of the 360 controller and everything else on the mouse. Best of both worlds for me for couch gaming. For everything else I use just the 360 controller with Kontrol Freek extender on the right stick.

I played with the Elite controller in an MS store once and it does feel real nice but it's hard for me to justify the price when I have a million 360 controllers lying around collecting dust, and I'm not even using the full controller most of the time anyway.

I also own a Steam Controller. I really tried to like it, I really did, but I just do not have the patience to learn a whole new controller these days. It feels like it has a lot of potential if it is the right game (for example, a game with support for both Xbox controllers and KB/M at the same time). The level of customization that you can do with it is crazy; if you took a deep dive with it on the right game I could imagine it working out well.
 
I recently grabbed the Steam controller and the Steam Link on sale. I want to FPS game without a mouse and KB and needed a controller that would bridge this gap.
At first, I was pretty disappointed. I couldn't get the pin point accuracy with the right thumb pad. I noticed there was a firmware up date for it, so I installed it. It made a world of difference.
With some tweaking you can get GREAT performance with this controller. But you have to get use to it. It takes a certain finesse to use the right thumb pad. But there is plenty of adjustment to fine tune it.
Also for about every game there is a recommended config for the controller that works pretty well, make that your base line to customize it for your liking.
The Steam Link works GREAT. I have it wired Ethernet so there is no issues. The only complaints were people using it Wi-Fi which isn't the ideal setup. (for anything)
 
  • Like
Reactions: File
like this
What is your preferred controller for PC gaming? These folks think it is the Xbox Elite. While I don’t want to be reminded of how much it cost, it really is a substantial improvement from the original. Now if only MS would make one with a repositioned d-pad and softer buttons for fighting games…

Microsoft really knocked it out of the park with the Xbox Elite Controller. At its core, it's the same great design that arrived with the Xbox One, which means it's well laid out and oh so comfy to use. But the Elite has been given a 'pro' makeover with grippy, soft-touch finishes, interchangeable rear paddles, thumbsticks, D-pad and trigger locks. The components are all made of a higher grade material, so they shouldn't wear out nearly as quickly under heavy use. Right now, this is the Ferrari of controllers for the Xbox, and with Windows 10 natively supporting it all you have to do is just plug in and play.

Sponsored ad-article on WindowsCentral.
 
The only reason some games are shit to play with a kb/mouse, is because the developer can'T be bothered to optimize for that. I usually rage quit form those games after a few minutes of desperation. Game controllers are the worst, they're the evolutional dead end offspring of a gamepad and a joystick. Any game that can only be played with such a device is not worth to be played to me.

I agree actually, and yet, for some stupid reason I can't completely understand myself, I just bought a Steam Controller. It came in Friday, I turned it on, and back off and didn't even try to use it the entire weekend. Impulse buy, stupid waste.
 
I agree actually, and yet, for some stupid reason I can't completely understand myself, I just bought a Steam Controller. It came in Friday, I turned it on, and back off and didn't even try to use it the entire weekend. Impulse buy, stupid waste.

You know I keep looking at one. Always ends up in the amazon cart to be removed because "not today" and then back again later. rinse repeat lol.
 
Controllers need to have more buttons underneath, all those useless fingers just sitting there and we expect the thumbs to do everything
 
A combination of the Xbox One (or Xbox 360) controller and PS4 controller does the trick. I feel the Xbox pads are better with analog functionality while the PS4's d-pad style and placement make it ideal for anything that uses digital movement. As of now the PS4 controller can be a little finicky thanks to it never being officially supported. However that will change next week with official drivers and a Sony wireless dongle.
Obviously KB/M, too.
 
I agree actually, and yet, for some stupid reason I can't completely understand myself, I just bought a Steam Controller. It came in Friday, I turned it on, and back off and didn't even try to use it the entire weekend. Impulse buy, stupid waste.

I say do the firmware update and give it a chance. I thought it sucked until I did the firmware update.
 
Logitech G13 + a good mouse.

Mostly because I can use the thumbstick for WASD and I still have tons of keys available - an ideal setup for an MMO or any game with a lot of commands.

For simple FPS games, I just use a keyboard and mouse.
 
I say do the firmware update and give it a chance. I thought it sucked until I did the firmware update.

That only fixes part of the problem with console games.

I could wrap my hatred of them up into three general areas.

1. The limitations of controllers.

2. 3rd Person View focused experience, It makes you feel like your watching yourself instead of doing yourself.

3. Menu driven hell.

Now I know not all consoles suffer from all of these at once, but in the end it comes down to a 2 out of 3 decsion, take your pick which two you want to suffer from.

That's been my feeling of it all.
 
Tied between keyboard + mouse and the Xbox 360 controller. Though new bluetooth Xbox One S controller may supplant the latter.
 
Corsair K65 RGB + Razer Diamondback

I can't game with anything else
 
I gamed on a zboard merc keyboard for a LONG time and it finally died. Gaming hasn't been the same for me since :( I miss that keyboard layout.
 
Corsair K65 RGB + Razer Diamondback

I can't game with anything else

I use a K70 and Logitech M400-S.

I can't say I swear by the K70, I like the fell, sort of, but I don't like the height of the keys and the long key stroke action. I am very used to the old Logitech Slim keyboards that were much more like a laptop keyboard, very low profile keys with a very short stroke. I also was a die hard MX-518 fan and the M400-S is like the closest thing I have found to it. The mouse I am pretty happy with, the keyboard not so much.

Some programmers up here at work have some Dell Keyboards and I happened to be on one doing some work on their workstation and I liked the feel, I maybe should hunt one down.
 
I use a K70 and Logitech M400-S.

I can't say I swear by the K70, I like the fell, sort of, but I don't like the height of the keys and the long key stroke action. I am very used to the old Logitech Slim keyboards that were much more like a laptop keyboard, very low profile keys with a very short stroke. I also was a die hard MX-518 fan and the M400-S is like the closest thing I have found to it. The mouse I am pretty happy with, the keyboard not so much.

Some programmers up here at work have some Dell Keyboards and I happened to be on one doing some work on their workstation and I liked the feel, I maybe should hunt one down.
I only game with my K65. I'm a terrible typist on mechanical keyboards. I'm so much faster, more accurate with the low profile, laptop style keyboards. I use and love my Logitech K810 Bluetooth keyboard for everything EXCEPT gaming.
 
OK, I tracked down that Dell keyboard I liked the feel of, it's a U473D.

It has an onboard USB hub good for a couple of ports but it's much older so it won't work for USB3.0 and it doesn't supply a lot of power so don't expect that much out of the USB hub.
 
Back
Top