The Best PC Gaming Controller

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
What is your preferred controller for PC gaming? These folks think it is the Xbox Elite. While I don’t want to be reminded of how much it cost, it really is a substantial improvement from the original. Now if only MS would make one with a repositioned d-pad and softer buttons for fighting games…

Microsoft really knocked it out of the park with the Xbox Elite Controller. At its core, it's the same great design that arrived with the Xbox One, which means it's well laid out and oh so comfy to use. But the Elite has been given a 'pro' makeover with grippy, soft-touch finishes, interchangeable rear paddles, thumbsticks, D-pad and trigger locks. The components are all made of a higher grade material, so they shouldn't wear out nearly as quickly under heavy use. Right now, this is the Ferrari of controllers for the Xbox, and with Windows 10 natively supporting it all you have to do is just plug in and play.

I've been using a wired 360 pad for a while now and I'm pretty happy with it. Only the Dpad is a little meh.
Even so I only really use a controller for 3rd person game that don't require any precise aiming (so Dark Souls, Witcher 3) and driving games (mostly in GTA, where I switch between M+KB and controller).

I use the Xbox Elite, G900 mouse, Max Keyboard Blackbird and G27 racing wheel.

The MS Elite controller is nice. Unlike most of the cheaply made garbage out there, the Elite is built like tank. I burned through two Razer gamepads before giving the Elite a shot. I even passed on the Razer Wildcat, although I hear it's nice.

Whether it's worth the price or not is subjective. I got mine at a discount for $119.99 USD, but I feel $99.99 USD is where MSRP should be. It's not like there's a lot of high quality gamepads out there.

The only cons to the Elite (other than price) are:
  • Weighs a ton (even without batteries). I guess if you build it like a tank...
  • XBox Accessories App (i.e. button remapping) doesn't work in Win7.
  • PC Wireless Adapter is sold seperately (~$25 USD).
Don't confuse the lack of app support in Win7 with the controller not working. The Elite works like a champ in Win7 even without it. In my experience, the 3rd party apps (made for 360 controllers) let your remap most things fine.

Last edited:
I started off with a Logitech F710 as my main PC gamepad. It felt good, and worked well for when I needed it (Arkham games, Darksiders, Saint's Row).

Purchased a Steam controller - felt closer to making KB+M-centric games more comfortable than a standard gamepad, but made gamepad-centric games less comfortable than a standard gamepad to me. So it doesn't see much use anymore.

Now I'm using a hand me down XBone controller from my son, and I'm pretty happy with it. Really need to get a wireless adapter for it, but it's felt comfortable to me when I've used it.

Personally, if I was going to pay $150+ for a PC gamepad, it'd be one of those quality Arcade sticks (believe Hori makes them). Seems like an arcade stick placed on my desk while playing Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat would be a dream come true.

Using an old XBox 360 controller with an adapter I got off of ebay for $5. Works great, but I've been thinking of upgrading to an XB1 controller because the ergonomics are a bit better.

Keyboard and mouse or GTFO.
I'm not using a keyboard to play roms and old games, RTS, FPS sure. Platformer, Advetnure, Puzzle, Racing? meh rather be laid back on my couch streaming it to my tv then hunched forward over a keyboard.

I use a XB1 Elite, just feels more comfortable then PS controller, PS4 controller was a huge improvement from ps3 but xb is still better for me. Plus PS controller i think still doesn't officially support PC use so it can be a pain at times. I've tried other controllers from like logitech etc but the build quality and usability just isn't matched.

I've been using a wired 360 pad for a while now and I'm pretty happy with it. Only the Dpad is a little meh.

I'm with you, I've had a wired 360 controller attached to my PC for console-style games since 2007. I actually like the feel of the 360 controller more than the Xbox One's. I find the Xbox One controller shape to be a little less comfortable. The only issue is that the dpad is terrible.

The only reason some games are shit to play with a kb/mouse, is because the developer can'T be bothered to optimize for that. I usually rage quit form those games after a few minutes of desperation. Game controllers are the worst, they're the evolutional dead end offspring of a gamepad and a joystick. Any game that can only be played with such a device is not worth to be played to me.

I am a HUGE fan of the WiiU Pro controller. I really prefer this kind of D-pad, and same level analog sticks.

41jK%2BTGzztL.jpg

Reactions: blkt
like this
I use a keyboard and mouse for everything but driving or racing games. It's just far easier to play those with an xbox controller. I also used my xbox controller for the Final Fantasy remakes. They had keyboard support but using a keyboard for them sucked.

Even so I only really use a controller for 3rd person game that don't require any precise aiming (so Dark Souls, Witcher 3) and driving games (mostly in GTA, where I switch between M+KB and controller).

Same here. D-pad was a lot meh.

But I fixed it by cutting out a plastic disk, fitting it under the d-pad. This made the action a lot more positive and reliable.

I'll stick with this as good enough until it wears out.

Had a chance to use the Elite, and its the real deal. The customization is just great on it.

Bit out of my price range, though. I have a wired 360 controller that's been going strong for 4+ years now. MSFT really knocked it out of the park with that one. D-pad sucks, and is better on the XB1 controller, but I am not a fan of the smaller sticks on the XB1 controller. I like that the sticks are a bit more elongated, but it would've been really perfect if they kept the diameter the same. Also prefer the triggers on the 360 controller.

I'm with you, I've had a wired 360 controller attached to my PC for console-style games since 2007. I actually like the feel of the 360 controller more than the Xbox One's. I find the Xbox One controller shape to be a little less comfortable. The only issue is that the dpad is terrible.

I totally agree with you; the 360 controller has very few downsides. Fortunately there is a fix for the dpad.
evil-d-pad1_3_2.png

I'm happy with a regular bone controller for now, being in Canada I'm looking at a 170 purchase for the elite version...

Recently grabbed the steam controller from that sale on Amazon; definitely works nice in kb+m games that you want to be lazy with :)

Edit: Curious if anyone has experience with this

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Been using an older xbox controller but after getting MK X bought an xbox one wired controller dpad is so much better for fighting games, for most other games I prefer m+kb.

I have a solution!
625d35b3-5f5f-4ade-9905-4e2c56f8c864

That would actually be good. Outside of racing games, I found a serious limitation that only something like that, or just the plain old keyboard beats a controller hands down is speed. Controllers are slow to input on, as the time it takes to move your fingers/thumbs from and to each button is detrimental to playing the game. Controllers blow, well modern non Nintendo ones do.

That would actually be good. Outside of racing games, I found a serious limitation that only something like that, or just the plain old keyboard beats a controller hands down is speed. Controllers are slow to input on, as the time it takes to move your fingers/thumbs from and to each button is detrimental to playing the game. Controllers blow, well modern non Nintendo ones do.

Yeah, as long as it does not require analog input, arcade sticks can do about anything. I have also mapped buttons to simulate a second joystick if need be (Smash TV, Assault). LOL, I just remembered playing Mortal Kombat PC DOS on a clicky keyboard (directional keys for movement, numerical pad 7,9,5,1,3 for buttons). Also gravis pc gamepad 3d model

Yeah, as long as it does not require analog input, arcade sticks can do about anything. I have also mapped buttons to simulate a second joystick if need be (Smash TV, Assault). LOL, I just remembered playing Mortal Kombat PC DOS on a clicky keyboard (directional keys for movement, numerical pad 7,9,5,1,3 for buttons). Also gravis pc gamepad 3d model

I used joysticks back in the day. :) Like that arcade stick you can keep your fingers on the buttons. :) But yea, also did mk with keyboard.

I still prefere the old sidewinder controller over all else, but since mine broke ages ago, I ended up buying a good ole Logitech Cordless Rumble Pad 2 and that and been nice. I actually liked it better than the Xbox controller, but I have not been able to compare it to the Xbox Elite controller.

I have a Logitech Dual Action gamepad (over a decade old) but rarely use it, except in FIFA, and some newer games only support xinput and not dxinput gamepads, like BF1. I also have two steering wheels, three joysticks and TrackIR. I have some other older gamepads somewhere too and have used my PS3 gamepad on PC in the past also. For FPS it is mouse+keyboard but wanted to use my Logitech gamepad in BF1 for flying and it is not detected in that game so will try PS3 gamepad when the game is released.

Last edited:
I love my XBOX Elite controller for action/adventure and driving games. Logitech G910 and G900 for everything else.

KB/M wherever feasible.

Where a controller is required, I have four DualShock 2 and a usb adapter hub. Fuckers can keep their $150 controllers.

The MS Elite controller is nice. Unlike most of the cheaply made garbage out there, the Elite is built like tank. I burned through two Razer gamepads before giving the Elite a shot. I even passed on the Razer Wildcat, although I hear it's nice.

Whether it's worth the price or not is subjective. I got mine at a discount for $119.99 USD, but I feel $99.99 USD is where MSRP should be. It's not like there's a lot of high quality gamepads out there.

The only cons to the Elite (other than price) are:
  • Weighs a ton (even without batteries). I guess if you build it like a tank...
  • XBox Accessories App (i.e. button remapping) doesn't work in Win7.
  • PC Wireless Adapter is sold seperately (~$25 USD).
Don't confuse the lack of app support in Win7 with the controller not working. The Elite works like a champ in Win7 even without it. In my experience, the 3rd party apps (made for 360 controllers) let your remap most things fine.

Totally agree, I've been wanting one of these controllers for a while, but I just can't justify the price. $99 is my target price, not a penny more. I know it's a great controller, but I feel like $129 is starting a dangerous precedent. Just like with graphics cards continually pushing the envelope of what the market will bear, I don't want to end up with $300+ controllers and be stuck with the junk they'll release at $50.

KB/Mouse, and if that isn't appropriate (Dark Souls series, Hyperlight Drifter, emulators, racing games, etc) the PS4 controller is great. Even lets you use the touchpad in place of the mouse if a game doesn't have complete controller support.

Agreed. Other than performance (graphics eye candy, etc) there really aren't any limitations with a keyboard and mouse. It's very similar to the Apple vs PC "user" debate.

Agreed. Other than performance (graphics eye candy, etc) there really aren't any limitations with a keyboard and mouse. It's very similar to the Apple vs PC "user" debate.

I like driving with a wheel or controller. kinda hard to drive using the kb/mouse.

This works well for FPS and birds eye RTS but it sucks ass for anything that needs analog directional controls (which is a hell of a lot of games).

Been using an Xbox 360 controller for at least 5 years. It is better than anything I have used before it.

This works well for FPS and birds eye RTS but it sucks ass for anything that needs analog directional controls (which is a hell of a lot of games).

Been using an Xbox 360 controller for at least 5 years. It is better than anything I have used before it.
I agree. I been getting my butt handed to me on Overwatch using a 360 controller. Just too slow to match those keyboards and mice.

I have used numerous controllers (iBuffalo SNES gamepad, Sega Saturn Gamepad hooked up to USB converter, XB1, F310 and Steam controller), and my conclusion is, whatever controller you prefer, the best version is ALWAYS the original version.

The iBuffalo SNES controller works well, but the D-Pad felt really sticky and light (may or may not be a bad thing for some, but it felt weird for me since all of my other controllers has been quite heavy), and I have heard of nothing but bad stories about the Sega Genesis rebooted controller, so I decided to get a 2nd hand Saturn with a USB dongle, which, for the most part, feels sturdy and is completely useable, albeit not ideally.

The only controller I haven't used to any great extent is the Steam controller, I was dissappointed in that I wasn't able to get it to work like a customisable controller (XB1 controller is almost entirely uncustomisable) and was only got it to work like a KM/B emulator, which makes motions very jagged (EG in FF8, the character only moves in 8 directions, despite that it can move freely with a controller, and I can only get Steam controller to emulate the 8 directions). I haven't looked very deeply into the controller though, so I may play around with it later on.

I prefer KB/M whereever possible, but there are games where KB/M isn't necessary (FF games and emulators in general for example, or platformers and shoot 'em ups) and a controller works just as well, that's when I switch to controller to increase my freedom of sitting pose and location (lean back, couch, etc).

I like the 'feel' of the XB1 controller better, fits my hand better and comfortable to hold, and buttons feel solid, my only gripe is that the D-Pad is small and is really not designed to be used as a D-Pad from a game pad, more like for selection screens.

Someone needs to design a racing controller like we use on R/C race cars. it would be perfect.

Wheels/Pedals are over-priced for what you get out of them on console race games.

For most stuff, KB/Mouse.

There are some games that are better suited to a gamepad. My choice of gamepad is a Logitech Gamepad F310. Has an Xbox mode as well for those games that use X-input.

And for Racing games, my old Logitech Momo wheel and pedals.

For flight sims on XP or higher - Saitek X36 HOTAS setup. I've tried the X45 and didn't like it as much. The x52 is just about the same from the looks of it.. but a bit fancier. The X36 just feels better.

For flight sims on Win98SE and DOS - Thrustmaster Mark II Flight Control System and Mark II Weapons Control System (Best HOTAS system there ever was back then IMO) Fully programmable through a script that you have to upload to the WCS. And yes, I have this setup. Stupidly got rid of my original set years ago.. but then found a NIB set on ebay around a year or so ago for cheap and picked it up.

How can you even have a single preferred controller for everything? Makes no sense. Guess it is just part of being a console peasant. :ROFLMAO:

I have always heard that the elite controller is great for those that want to use a controller. The fact that it keeps getting reconfirmed shows that it must be a good choice for those that like using a controller.

I've been using the original Logitech Wingman Rumblepad (1st gen) since it came out, and have one still BNIB.

However, since Windows 7, it has been a bit...wonky.

Recently moved to a wired XB1 controller and have adjusted quite well to it. Still doesn't hold a candle to my previous gamepad.

Back