The Best Gaming CPU

Maybe not, I think they took it down from Amazons AMD storefront.

I did get the order in just have to see if it goes through. (I had Amazon credit hence not exactly 449.99)
496051CD-D714-409D-968B-6DD117DA78EF.jpeg

Hmmm…. Let’s price out an itx build, might be time to shrink this ole SMA8 down.

While its good to see it performing well for its niche, I do hope this means they'll focus more on the 59xxX3D CPUs. Now they can also continue to hone the ability to overclock all the 3D Vcache procs, but they need to get the schedulers worked out on a firmware and/or microcode level instead of leaving it up to an OS based driver situation or some stupid "IF Windows Game Bar is on THEN use 3Dcache cores ELSE use other cores" nonsense.

CPU costs only, only tells part of the story.
True but there's really no viable way to compare from one manufacturer to the next, there are so many variables in "the cheapest setup" versus "similar features" (which may not be exactly similar) versus "this is the board that I would buy" that it would be impractical to add them into a cost per frame analysis and is easiest just to compare the CPU cost, but I agree cost per frame type of comparisons should stick to similar chipsets so all those other factors are equalized, is the 7600x better cost per frame than the 7800x3d or whatever would be a better metric than 13900k vs 7800x3d

True but there's really no viable way to compare from one manufacturer to the next, there are so many variables in "the cheapest setup" versus "similar features" (which may not be exactly similar) versus "this is the board that I would buy" that it would be impractical to add them into a cost per frame analysis and is easiest just to compare the CPU cost, but I agree cost per frame type of comparisons should stick to similar chipsets so all those other factors are equalized, is the 7600x better cost per frame than the 7800x3d or whatever would be a better metric than 13900k vs 7800x3d
5800x3d has way better cost per frame than a 7600x if you include platform costs. I see no real reason to ever consider a 7600x outside of saving costs, but the 5800x3d was such a good product that it casts a shadow over much of the AM5 lineup.

5800x3d has way better cost per frame than a 7600x if you include platform costs. I see no real reason to ever consider a 7600x outside of saving costs, but the 5800x3d was such a good product that it casts a shadow over much of the AM5 lineup.
That chart also uses the launch price of the 5800x3d when it can be had for $100-150 less than that these days.

True, but one reason to consider a 7600x is that you're getting your foot in the door (as cheaply as possible) in a new platform whenever it may go. Now I know AMD stated they'll support it until 2025(??) so who knows what other CPUs may come out down the line as a generational improvement over all other CPUs much like the 5800x3d did for the AM4 platform. Sure it is a bit of a gamble and a "what if" but with the 7600x there will be some level of upgrade path should you want it down the line, with the 5800x3d there is no upgrade path because you're at the end of a platform that won't advance any further.

But again everyone is going to see what things they value, I mean hell I'm still rocking a 4790k so obviously upgrading the CPU hasn't been high on my list of priorities but I do see what the AM4 platform did and I jumped in at at Zen+ I would be more than happy with the upgrades available with Zen3 now whether or not AM5 has a similar output... *shrug* if I had my crystal ball I'd be super rich now and not care about prices of stuff :)

Pretty much I was tasked with building a few "budget" gaming machines for a friend and their 2 kids. The 5800x3D is readily available, the platform is not cost prohibitive, and the missing features have almost no real-world implications outside of 4K, which these machines will not be doing 2 are at 1080p and one at 1440p.
The 5800x3D is honestly too good at what it does, I secretly wonder if internally they hate the fact they launched it as anything but a limited run part because it made purchasing anything in the product stack south of a 7700x irrelevant because the platform costs quickly outpace any savings a cheaper CPU might give.

True, but one reason to consider a 7600x is that you're getting your foot in the door (as cheaply as possible) in a new platform whenever it may go. Now I know AMD stated they'll support it until 2025(??) so who knows what other CPUs may come out down the line as a generational improvement over all other CPUs much like the 5800x3d did for the AM4 platform. Sure it is a bit of a gamble and a "what if" but with the 7600x there will be some level of upgrade path should you want it down the line, with the 5800x3d there is no upgrade path because you're at the end of a platform that won't advance any further.

But again everyone is going to see what things they value, I mean hell I'm still rocking a 4790k so obviously upgrading the CPU hasn't been high on my list of priorities but I do see what the AM4 platform did and I jumped in at at Zen+ I would be more than happy with the upgrades available with Zen3 now whether or not AM5 has a similar output... *shrug* if I had my crystal ball I'd be super rich now and not care about prices of stuff :)
Yeah but if you're already paying extra for the platform you might as well spring the extra bit for the 7800x3d assuming the build is for gaming.

Yeah but if you're already paying extra for the platform you might as well spring the extra bit for the 7800x3d assuming the build is for gaming.
I have never been a fan of "pay a bunch now for something you aren't happy with so you can spend more later to upgrade it", it always ends up being more effort than it's worth and almost never pans out for me.

I have never been a fan of "pay a bunch now for something you aren't happy with so you can spend more later to upgrade it", it always ends up being more effort than it's worth and almost never pans out for me.
I think the potential upgrade path on AM5 is a good argument in favor of it but not with a CPU that's basically a placeholder.

I mean sure, it's the "Super Size" argument where you pay "just a little bit more" to get "a whole lot more", I will say you need to watch out for that trap because you can often keep making that argument and end up spending a whole lot more money than you originally intended... although not so much in this case as the 7800x3d apparently is faster than the 7900x3d?

That said my argument wasn't 7600x vs 7800x3d it was rationalizing a slower am5 platform vs faster am4 platform (7600x vs 5800x3d)

I mean sure, it's the "Super Size" argument where you pay "just a little bit more" to get "a whole lot more", I will say you need to watch out for that trap because you can often keep making that argument and end up spending a whole lot more money than you originally intended... although not so much in this case as the 7800x3d apparently is faster than the 7900x3d?

That said my argument wasn't 7600x vs 7800x3d it was rationalizing a slower am5 platform vs faster am4 platform (7600x vs 5800x3d)
The reality is the 5800x3D is too good and will be a relevant CPU for the next 5 years, Heaps, SMA, direct storage, direct memory, ... all of these work to take loads off the CPU, needing to upgrade your CPU frequently to chase framerates, isn't really a thing anymore unless you are looking at 4K at which point the argument takes a different turn but even there you will hit a GPU bottleneck before you hit a CPU based on. GPU upgrades at this stage are far more important than CPU ones, engines utilizing the benefits of DDR 5 are still some 3 years out, and 1440p and below won't be taxing PCIe4 any time soon, the load time benefits from PCIe3 to PCIe5 NVME is in the single digit ms range and is not really relevant.

The AM5 platform is in a weird spot, it is ahead of its time, yes AMD will support it till 2025, but the cool features it offers over AM4 aren't expected to be in mainstream games until 2026.

It seemed like you were trying to make a case for when the 7600x makes sense but if you're already paying a premium to jump up to AM5 I don't think it makes sense to buy the cheapest CPU possible when a much better option is available for a relatively small amount when you look at the whole platform cost.

I think the 7800x3d along with improved and slightly more reasonably priced motherboards and ddr5 memory finally makes the AM5 platform a good option for a gaming build and the potential upgrade path is a selling point. If you're trying to keep costs down though it's hard to beat the 5800x3d which can be picked up along with a decent motherboard and memory for about $500. The next generation of AM5 motherboards and ddr5 memory are likely to be better and cheaper since the tech is so new which is another good reason to hold out unless you're going to take full advantage of the new platform.

Surprising set of features on that B-series board, wow. I'm going to have to start including B-series boards in my searches now.

Agreed on the RAM too. Just RDR2 alone darn near fills my 16GB I have now (I've even had it crash while paging too, but I read it might be due to a memory leak). Anyway, rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it.

Side note, I might end up going back to GSkill. I'm on my 3rd pair of DDR4 2x8GB 3200 Corsair Dominator Platinum's :mad: ... It's been over a decade since I've ran GSkill, might be time to revisit them.

Appreciate the heads up, was going to be asking the same question.
It's a B650 Extreme/B650-E board, which is basically the same as the X670 with fewer PCI-E lanes and fewer USB/SATA ports. A regular B650 doesn't have PCI-E 5.0 support like the B650-E does.

I think the potential upgrade path on AM5 is a good argument in favor of it but not with a CPU that's basically a placeholder.
With PC components, the whole "future proofing" thing is mostly a myth; a lie people tell themselves.

At least don't buy the beta test first gen of a new platform. Wait until the second or third gen of AM5 that will have the hardware level bugs and idiosyncrasies quietly fixed.

The other factor at play against buying a first gen board will be "planned soft-obsolescence" - the financial incentive AMD board partners have to obsolete them and compel upgrades to newer gen boards, regardless of AMD maintaining platform longevity as a selling point. Board partners don't actually want people buying a board that will last for 3-5 gens of CPUs.

Last edited:
Eh, no issues for me other than a few early ram issues that are gone now. If you wait until gen 3 of am5, well it's already at dead end status by then.

Much better than my early Ryzen 1600 experience.
The first gen had issues, took a lot of bios updates before that got better. EPYC wasn't much better took me and a team from Dell a good 3 months of troubleshooting to get those servers stable, then all the problems went away with a new AGESA version and they would no longer soft lock. But there was a good amount of time when Dell was looking at just Lemmon-lawing the whole stack and replacing it with the Intel performance equivalent and eating the licensing difference. We're on year 5 with that stack and it's still going strong now (actually extending the warranties on them for another 2-years to EOL), but it was one hell of a rough start.

With PC components, the whole "future proofing" thing is mostly a myth; a lie people tell themselves.

At least don't buy the beta test first gen of a new platform. Wait until the second or third gen of AM5 that will have the hardware level bugs and idiosyncrasies quietly fixed.

The other factor at play against buying a first gen board will be "planned soft-obsolescence" - the financial incentive AMD board partners have to obsolete them and compel upgrades to newer gen boards, regardless of AMD maintaining platform longevity as a selling point. Board partners don't actually want people buying a board that will last for 3-5 gens of CPUs.
AM4 offered several nice upgrade paths unless you had a MB that was limited by weak power delivery or not enough extra space to upgrade the BIOS to support newer CPUs. I upgraded my x470 board once and if gpu prices hadn't kept me from upgrading that for a couple years I would have likely upgraded it twice, the only thing I'm missing by not being on x570 is PCIe 4 which still isn't much of an issue outside of NVME benchmarks.

I think the next gen of AM5 boards will be cheaper and better overall but I doubt we'll see the issues with 600 series boards that we did with 300 series boards because it's more similar to the previous gen and motherboard manufacturers are actually putting more effort into their AMD boards again. I think the biggest change we'll likely see with the next MB gen is MB manufacturers finding more efficient ways to support PCIe 5 bringing prices back down a bit(and margins up too probably).

You can't "future-proof" everything about your PC, but a CPU can last you a while without being a liability. If you get the right one, that can be 3-5 years. Especially if you're gaming at a resolution where the CPU is only barely involved.

It seemed like you were trying to make a case for when the 7600x makes sense but if you're already paying a premium to jump up to AM5 I don't think it makes sense to buy the cheapest CPU possible when a much better option is available for a relatively small amount when you look at the whole platform cost.
Well I was thinking more of existing deals that currently pop up for 7600x like at microcenter where the cpu, mobo and ram can be had for $400 or something along those lines. But if you do piece things out you can regularly find the 7600x at $240 or in that range (and again if you get it from MC, free ram!) and $200+ starts to seem a bit less "relatively small" as that could easily a 50% increase in price, which if you're not rocking a high end GPU may be "good enough" for now. Of course if the 7800x3d drops in price like the 5800x3d did (mostly because not many paid attention to it) in a year or so, then yeah I'd sit on my hands and wait it out for price drops.

I'm still on the X370 motherboard I first got the 1700 before upgrading to 3900x which I currently have. it's been several years and I'm very impressed with the so called "planned obsolescence" on such hardware. Considering Intel's approach in the last few years. Across the board against AM4... How many Intel sockets have there been until AM5? Quite a few more than AM4 for consumers. Also, hardware design do change and may dictate socket design so what're you on about?

I'm thinking about dropping in a 5000 series to further my PC's life. Why not?

If it's stuff like uh - A fridge... that ought not have planned obsolescence or crap but in some fields, innovations led to quicker rate of obsolescence, I just don't like forced obsolescence such as OS support in some aspect and etc. but I'm fine with setting a higher min. standard provided it's not artificial limitation which may easily be supported be previous hardware sort of thing.
I'm probably rambling at this point, but the gist goes, and I agree with your remarks of don't buy the first gen. I was lucky my gamble pulled off for the AM4, I wouldn't probably done this w/ Intel based on how frequently they jump sockets.

It's a B650 Extreme/B650-E board, which is basically the same as the X670 with fewer PCI-E lanes and fewer USB/SATA ports. A regular B650 doesn't have PCI-E 5.0 support like the B650-E does.

I need to read up more TBH, I'll respond properly when I'm more knowledgeable (I'll admit, I haven't followed Mobo's as closely as I should be). I like the idea of more lanes for future-proofing (yeah, I know.... an honorable/naïve concept) but I actually do want to move over to large NVME's at some point, there's 4x lanes each. I also hate USB hubs and the spaghetti monsters they imply, I'd enjoy more native ports. I'm not happy with a lot of my setup behind the scenes (aka under the desk) and would like to plug more items directly in. I might be one of the few who actually needs the additional lanes/USB ports that an X-series applies to, but again, on the more basic X-series end.

More in my reply to erek below.

What mobo you got
That is a GREAT question I am still trying to answer myself! I'll definitely post it here and (at) you when I come to a conclusion that meets my current and future* needs. I'm one that has many old 2.5" SSD's in my current setup (bolt on another 500GB Crucial here and there, ya know) and I'd like to turn those into large NVME's at some point. At the same time though, I really don't care about the read/write speeds, I'm not ripping or doing write-intensive work, and 1-2 second better loading times... yeah, I'll rock what I got for the time being.

Honestly, I've bought this proc today, and my real research for the mobo and the rest begins tonight through this weekend. I also haven't had the time to dig into optimal memory for these new Ryzen's either. I recall faster/fastest memory (even searching extra for B-die memory) really benefitting them prior to the 7k series, but maybe that's changed.

I'd certainly love to hear more about what others are planning on running with their 7800x3D's!

That chart also uses the launch price of the 5800x3d when it can be had for $100-150 less than that these days.

I get why HUB did it, going by MSRP to have stable pricing references but the 7700 is better than what is listed by far than the X model. It is more overpriced nonsense like the old 3700x vs 3800x etc.. Same with the 7600 though I think that is only $10-20 difference in market price right now instead of $50.

What mobo you got
I ended up landing on this mobo with the help of Armenius (thanks again man!)

https://www.newegg.com/asus-rog-strix-b650e-f-gaming/p/N82E16813119604?Item=N82E16813119604

Aside from that, he recommended to me the rest of the heart of the build:

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-64gb/p/N82E16820374443?Item=N82E16820374443
https://www.newegg.com/western-digital-2tb-black-sn850x-nvme/p/N82E16820250247?Item=N82E16820250247

I did snag a few other parts as part of the great hardware shuffle-down (to the wife's PC and my new HTPC)/my own rigs refresh (can't wait for this guy in particular), but I'm expecting to start building the new PC here ~April 25th. So excited!

Last edited:
I ended up landing on this mobo with the help of Armenius (thanks again man!)

https://www.newegg.com/asus-rog-strix-b650e-f-gaming/p/N82E16813119604?Item=N82E16813119604

Aside from that, he recommended to me the rest of the heart of the build:

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-64gb/p/N82E16820374443?Item=N82E16820374443
https://www.newegg.com/western-digital-2tb-black-sn850x-nvme/p/N82E16820250247?Item=N82E16820250247

I did snag a few other parts as part of the great hardware shuffle-down (to the wife's PC and my new HTPC)/my own rigs refresh (can't wait for this guy in particular), but I'm expecting to start building the new PC here ~April 25th. So excited!

Pretty sure you're going to be happy with that motherboard and SSD. I have both of them and they've been trouble-free and fast. The only think about that motherboard that should be mentioned is that both the NIC and WiFi aren't part of the Windows default install drivers. Meaning, if you do a fresh install it won't know what to do with either of them. You'll need to either install them separately (via a disk during your Windows install) or you need to use one of the tricks to install Windows with a local account. I prefer the latter since it also lets you name your user account folders and it can still be linked to a Microsoft account later. Either way, it's a minor inconvenience. Enjoy the new build!

Appreciate the heads up man, and thanks! First truly new build since my 4690k!

I'll have those networking drivers on a flash-drive prior to the Windows install and I'll gladly do the offline local account trick :p Don't want it linked to MS anyway.

Appreciate the heads up man, and thanks! First truly new build since my 4690k!

I'll have those networking drivers on a flash-drive prior to the Windows install and I'll gladly do the offline local account trick :p Don't want it linked to MS anyway.
you don't even need a new CPU w/ DLSS3, bud

Pentium + RTX 4070: DLSS saves this cursed combo​

1681759959193.png

5 hours ago — They built a “gaming” desktop with a Pentium Gold G7400 CPU, which is going for just $70 at Best Buy today, with a new $600 RTX 4070 graphics ...
$70.00

you don't even need a new CPU w/ DLSS3, bud

Pentium + RTX 4070: DLSS saves this cursed combo

View attachment 564909

5 hours ago — They built a “gaming” desktop with a Pentium Gold G7400 CPU, which is going for just $70 at Best Buy today, with a new $600 RTX 4070 graphics ...
$70.00
Doesn't look like he overclocked the G7400, so I wonder how much more performance you could get. I'll note that this requires a motherboard that supports BCLK overclocking on the Intel 12th gen CPU's, which even the cheapest (an ASROCK B660M PG RIPTIDE), is going to cost more than a basic B660 motherboard.

Reactions: erek
like this
Doesn't look like he overclocked the G7400, so I wonder how much more performance you could get. I'll note that this requires a motherboard that supports BCLK overclocking on the Intel 12th gen CPU's, which even the cheapest (an ASROCK B660M PG RIPTIDE), is going to cost more than a basic B660 motherboard.
Was that sarcasm or what? Hmm 🤔 🧐

you going to?
Sorry, my sarcasm doesn't transfer well apparently :(

Absolutely not! I haven't been this excited for my own builds and shit since I last redid my setup like 5 years ago (I've been mainly just dropping graphics cards in since then....). I'm so stoked for this. Rebuild mine with the new shiny, so I can rebuild my Wifes with my 7700k and her 3060Ti, so I can build myself a HTPC with the still-living 4690k build I mentioned in my post a couple above with a (I hope) still kicking 1050Ti.

I call it The Great PC Component Trickle-Down of 2023 :D

Back