The Best Game No One is Talking About

HardOCP News

[H] News
How many of you have played Driver: San Francisco? Is it really the "best game no one is talking about?" I have the game sitting here on my desk but haven't had a chance to play it yet. Every one I talk to loves the game but the mainstream press hasn't said anything about it since the game launched. What do you guys think?

While racing through a virtual San Francisco in at Aston Martin at 150 miles per hour, in pursuit of a criminal getaway car 10 yards ahead of me, I can tap a button and suddenly be watching this chase from the clouds above. I may then spot an SUV driving in the opposite direction, tag it with a tap of a controller button, suddenly be driving behind the wheel of that SUV…. then take this new vehicle, cross the median and smash it headlong into that criminal getaway car as my original car whizzes by behind it on some sort of ghostly cruise control.

The game looks great, and the jumping from car to car is kinda interesting. However, the actual driving in the game felt horrible.

When Yahtzee likes your game...it's good. :D

When I saw this bit about Driver on the main page I immediately thought of Yahtzee. I click on comments and see you both beat me to the punch. :D It isn't often I hear him gush all over a game but he certainly did that with Driver San Fran edition. He is a hoot to listen to and ripped Dead Island a new one this week and I quote "Dead Island go spoon with lathe". Ouch! :eek:

After Driver 2 the next few iterations of the series weren't very good so i never touched the series after the second.

If Driver San Fransisco is cheap somewhere i'll probably pick it up.

If no one is talking about it, there's probably good reason. Driver San Francisco is yet another driving game, and one with only middling reviews.

Wasn't everyone avoiding this game because it has that stupid ubisoft connected to the interwebs forever to play alone thing? When the game finally gets a proper release without this for 20% of the original cost then many more people will be playing probably :D

Also theres a load of higher profile games that people have been looking forward to released/being released soon etc.

I played the demo on PS3 and liked it. You guys should at least give it that much of a shot.

How many of you have played Driver: San Francisco? Is it really the "best game no one is talking about?" I have the game sitting here on my desk but haven't had a chance to play it yet. Every one I talk to loves the game but the mainstream press hasn't said anything about it since the game launched. What do you guys think?

Dark Souls will be better than Driver or Gears 3, rest assured.

While Demon's Souls was a PS3 exclusive, Dark Souls will be multiplatform, buy it, and find yourself cursing each time you die, each time you take a wrong turn that leads to your death, every mental mistake which leads to your death, and so on and so forth :p

I haven't played it but I like that they got a little creative within the driving genre.

Wasnt the original 1999 "driver" game in 'frisco too?

That game was... interesting. It was fun and had some unique things about it but it was also flawed in many areas.

games for windows live & drm online checks to play single player . pc gaming has de-volved , i'd rather spend my $ on something pleasurable like hookers once i'm done i can get rid of them unlike drm in any form , save a format . :rolleyes:

If no one is talking about it, there's probably good reason. Driver San Francisco is yet another driving game, and one with only middling reviews.

The PC version doesn't actually unlock until 9/27. That's prolly the reason.

I actually am considering buying DSF...Time to find out if that ancient Sidewinder Force Feedback wheel still works in Windows 7 x64. (not holding breath)

Wasn't everyone avoiding this game because it has that stupid ubisoft connected to the interwebs forever to play alone thing? When the game finally gets a proper release without this for 20% of the original cost then many more people will be playing probably :D

Pretty Much.

Not interested due to the DRM. The DRM itself doesn't bother me as much as the assholes that will DOS the servers and Ubisoft's utter incompetence at keeping their shit up and running. No thanks I'm not paying for a game that will be ruined by idiot IT people and douchebag kids that think they're cool by ruining other people's games.

First off, why do PC gamers ALWAYS have to bitch about DRM all the time. Yes I understand that it is in fact gay as hell that games come with DRM, and you have to have a constant internet connection on PC to play the game. Yes its bullshit we all know this, but lets face the facts. Just about every game that comes out on PC has DRM and computers these days have even shipped with DRM preloaded. in fact, go check out the latest steam updates from Bad company 2 and you will notice that in the latest patch, DRM was removed. Not one person was making a big affair about it, and more than likely nobody even knew about it.

Well, first off I can't speak for PC users of this new driver game. But since its on a console, you better be prepared for a sub-par port or experience. I own this game on my xbox, and although the graphics aren't the best, the sound and gameplay(at 60fps too!) is truly enjoyable.

Yes all of the games in the racing genre have shitty story lines, except for maybe NFS: Underground series. This one is actually well thought out, the driving experience is better than most racing games and there is a fair amount of cars(170+). Believe me I've played just about every racing game since Mario Kart onwards.

INB4 GTFO Ubisoft employee
TL;DR: PC gamers bitch too much; Should just STFU and enjoy a quality game (which ubisoft hasn't made in a long time)

Seriously though its a good game, and if you don't believe me, then go pirate it.

Ubisoft game? No thanks.
And this is why nobody is talking about it.

Ubisoft has labored long and hard to build its dickbag reputation, and I think they've finally done it...the camel's back is broken and they've been written off entirely.

Even Actiblizzard hasn't yet achieved that level of animosity against themselves. Then again, they don't seem to be systematically waging a war on gamers, either.

Ubisoft has labored long and hard to build its dickbag reputation, and I think they've finally done it...the camel's back is broken and they've been written off entirely.

Even Actiblizzard hasn't yet achieved that level of animosity against themselves. Then again, they don't seem to be systematically waging a war on gamers, either.

I think it has a lot more to do with the fact that there are just too many good games coming down the pipe like Rage in two weeks, and Skyrim in 6 weeks that why would I bother with this. Hell, I am still playing Fallout New Vegas - so maybe I am slow.

First off, why do PC gamers ALWAYS have to bitch about DRM all the time. Yes I understand that it is in fact gay as hell that games come with DRM, and you have to have a constant internet connection on PC to play the game. Yes its bullshit we all know this, but lets face the facts. Just about every game that comes out on PC has DRM and computers these days have even shipped with DRM preloaded. in fact, go check out the latest steam updates from Bad company 2 and you will notice that in the latest patch, DRM was removed. Not one person was making a big affair about it, and more than likely nobody even knew about it.

Well, first off I can't speak for PC users of this new driver game. But since its on a console, you better be prepared for a sub-par port or experience. I own this game on my xbox, and although the graphics aren't the best, the sound and gameplay(at 60fps too!) is truly enjoyable.

Yes all of the games in the racing genre have shitty story lines, except for maybe NFS: Underground series. This one is actually well thought out, the driving experience is better than most racing games and there is a fair amount of cars(170+). Believe me I've played just about every racing game since Mario Kart onwards.

INB4 GTFO Ubisoft employee
TL;DR: PC gamers bitch too much; Should just STFU and enjoy a quality game (which ubisoft hasn't made in a long time)

Seriously though its a good game, and if you don't believe me, then go pirate it.

DRM in an intrusive manner only serves to hurt the legitimate consumer. I remember when AssCreed II came out and their PC DRM servers crashed for days under the load of people. But those who pirated it could play the games fine. It's literally telling the consumer that we don't trust you, and we won't let you enjoy your game that YOU purchased - so we'll punish you for it instead.

If a DRM system constantly needs to be defended, something must be wrong. As a developer you will never win over any fans if you constantly let everyone know how much it costs to develop a game and how much money you lose. I don’t like always-on DRM solutions at all, since they offer nothing to the consumer. If you continuously give something extra for registering and being online, and award them for actually paying for and playing your game, it’d be different, but always-on DRM only says: ‘Thank you for buying our game, we trust you as far as we can throw you.

That's a quote from the Devs of one of my favorite PC games in the last few years - Just Cause 2. And I agree with every single point he makes. I don't pirate games anymore - haven't for years. But when games like From Dust, and Driver, or any other games launch with these bullshit, always-on intrusive DRM systems, I don't purchase them. I don't pirate them. I don't download them. I don't put them anywhere near my system - period.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/09/06/avalanche-on-drm-doesnt-nothing-useful/

Drivers and graphics looks pretty sweet. Too bad the pedestrians dodge. :) Would be interesting to see what more reviewers say once they get their hands on it. Interesting concept, though. Might get worn out.

First off, why do PC gamers ALWAYS have to bitch about DRM all the time.
It is a PITA to deal with and does absolutely zero to curtail piracy. Only legal buyers suffer. The hours I have wasted on Windows activation are hours I would like back. You pay extra (time) for legal purchases.

Blah blah blah, whine, ubisoft, <repeat>Blah blah blah, whine, ubisoft, <repeat>Blah blah blah, whine, ubisoft, <repeat>Blah blah blah, whine, ubisoft, <repeat>Blah blah blah, whine, ubisoft, <repeat>Blah blah blah, whine, ubisoft, <repeat>Blah blah blah, whine, ubisoft, <repeat>Blah blah blah, whine, ubisoft, <repeat>Blah blah blah, whine, ubisoft, <repeat>Blah blah blah, whine, ubisoft, <repeat>Blah blah blah, whine, ubisoft, <repeat>Blah blah blah, whine, ubisoft, <repeat>Blah blah blah, whine, ubisoft, <repeat>Blah blah blah, whine, ubisoft, <repeat>Blah blah blah, whine, ubisoft, <repeat>Blah blah blah, whine, ubisoft, <repeat>Blah blah blah, whine, ubisoft, <repeat>Blah blah blah, whine, ubisoft, <repeat>Blah blah blah, whine, ubisoft, <repeat>Blah blah blah, whine, ubisoft, <repeat>Blah blah blah, whine, ubisoft, <repeat>Blah blah blah, whine, ubisoft, <repeat>Blah blah blah, whine, ubisoft, <repeat>Blah blah blah, whine, ubisoft, <repeat>Blah blah blah, whine, ubisoft, <repeat>Blah blah blah, whine, ubisoft, <repeat>Blah blah blah, whine, ubisoft, <repeat>Blah blah blah, whine, ubisoft, <repeat>Blah blah blah, whine, ubisoft, <repeat>Blah blah blah, whine, ubisoft, <repeat>Blah blah blah, whine, ubisoft, <repeat>Blah blah blah, whine, ubisoft, <repeat>Blah blah blah, whine, ubisoft, <repeat>Blah blah blah, whine, ubisoft, <repeat>Blah blah blah, whine, ubisoft, <repeat>Blah blah blah, whine, ubisoft, <repeat>Blah blah blah, whine, ubisoft, <repeat>Blah blah blah, whine, ubisoft, <repeat>

I hope you cut and paste, otherwise that was probably a tedious post.

Anyway, the original Driver game was kinda cool. I'll check this one out.

0%, really?
Looks like no one took the time to actually read that "review".

...You don’t even have to play the game to realize that -- I sure didn’t*.

* If you haven’t realized by now, this is not an actual review of Driver: San Francisco.

They are apparently boycotting Ubisoft due to their DRM. I frankly do not give a damn about any DRM 'cause there is always a crack available shortly after the game is released. I paid for the game I will damn well do whatever I please with it.

Looks like no one took the time to actually read that "review".

They are apparently boycotting Ubisoft due to their DRM. I frankly do not give a damn about any DRM 'cause there is always a crack available shortly after the game is released. I paid for the game I will damn well do whatever I please with it.

Yea but, sowhat?

Why post a "review" listed at 0% when it isn't a "review". They just want clicks for it

The PC version doesn't actually unlock until 9/27. That's prolly the reason.

I actually am considering buying DSF...Time to find out if that ancient Sidewinder Force Feedback wheel still works in Windows 7 x64. (not holding breath)

If it's USB, it should. My Sidewinder FFB2 joystick still works fine in Win7 x64.

Will the PC version have support for a driving wheel? I belive the PS3 version do not, which is rather sucky.

Just because it is the best game that nobody is talking about does not mean that it's a great game...
There has been an abundance of great games. There is only so many games people can play, and with Ubisoft's 'anti piracy' mechanics they put another nail in the coffin.
Also I see many people shift to indie and mobile games, they play a few AAA titles, but those have to be amazing.
This of course puts a lot of pressure on the studios to succeed with their games. It also means that it is easier to enter the market with small fun games.
So in the end the customer benefits, because we have a selection of so many amazing games that even decent games might now be where bad games used to be before, in terms of sales.

Oh they're getting there. With MW2..er I mean MW3 coming out, Di*einafireunlessyoureonlineallthetime*ablo 3, the separate exp packs for each race of Starcraft, and exp packs for WoW that might as well be DL'd content for half the price. Thank you Bobby Kotick, you're the numba-supa star.

Back