the best 4k, 120hz, active shutter, gaming monitor?

TheBuzzer

HACK THE WORLD!
trying to find a very good monitor to upgrade to, I haven't been keeping up with monitor releases and not even sure if anything good is out yet. So trying to find a 4k res, 120hz, active shutter type gaming monitor.

Active shutter when I went to ces looks a lot better than normal polarized glasses type monitor. So trying to get a great monitor to replace my old 24" display.

If there is no such monitor out yet I will keep waiting.

there isn't even a 120Hz 4K TV out yet let alone a 120Hz 4K monitor.

you will likely see a 2560x1440 120Hz monitor well before a 3840x2160 one.

either display would need displayport 1.2 and I don't know about you but I wouldn't want a 3840x2160 TN screen with bad viewing angles and inaccurate color rendition.

On the plus side you can get a 4K screen for an average of $30,000 USD

on the downside Samsung lost 2 prototype 55"OLED screen being shipped to IFA and now the y are suing LG over OLED so the availability and prices wont move in the short term and more likely there will be 84" LCD 4K screens out as the only option and those will be impractical and pricey versus a 4K projector will be at around $10,000-$15,000

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4K_resolution#List_of_4K_monitors_and_projectors

I'd say that is unlilekly to happend within following 5 years. Probably even 10 years.

Seems like it's high res 60hz or low(er) res 1080p 120hz for the foreseeable future

lol 4k 120 Hz. With how slowly tech has been moving, I'd say around 2020.

We'll probably see a 4K monitor within a year or two, most likely in the form of a Retina Thunderbolt Display. However, it won't be 120 Hz.

I'd definitely like some high-res 120 Hz goodness too.

much of the blur\smearing reduction on high motion\fov movement is a combination of very low response time displays combined with aggressive response time compensation , not just the refresh rate alone. This blurring\smearing is a major flaw in lcd tech and even though 120hz +very low response time+agressive rtcTN gaming monitors have an appreciable amount of blur reduction when compared to other lcds, they still smear out details badly during motion. Some 4k screens are likely to be va panels for the black levels since a lot of them will be aimed toward movie watching. and va and tvs in general have their own additional negative tradeoffs when used as monitors. ips panels also have poor response time (= bad smearing during motion frame transitions) no matter what the hz, and both ips and TN displays have inferior black levels.

Sorry bud your only option is 8k OLED 100hz passive 3D. Sorry to disappoint.

That wikipedia entry shows a Panasonic active shutter 3D 4K TV available?

Of course you'd need half a million $ and according to the specs, it's a 152in TV weighing 590kg and consuming 4500W of power :D

And if it's like the 103", it requires 220. That was the dealbreaker for us at work.

This blurring\smearing is a major flaw in lcd tech and even though 120hz +very low response time+agressive rtcTN gaming monitors have an appreciable amount of blur reduction when compared to other lcds, they still smear out details badly during motion.
Hopefully, a lot of this can be solved by the addition of a scanning backlight combined with 120Hz, to provide similiar sharpness of fast motion as "480Hz" (without requiring a higher refresh).

Scanning backlights are found in high end-HDTV's. (Google Sony XR 960, or Samsung CMR 960). What I don't want to see is the motion interpolation (input lag), but it is technically possible to do a scanning backlight, without input lag, and without motion interpolation.

I'd be very happy with a 30inch 1440p 120hz monitor for now. do you guys know anything about that?

I'd be very happy with a 30inch 1440p 120hz monitor for now. do you guys know anything about that?

A few points:

1) 30 Inch and 1440p are somewhat mutually exclusive. 1440p is 27Inch, 1600p is 30Inch (both are 2560x). While it isn't impossible to make a 30Inch 1440p monitor, nobody will do it.

2) Assuming 27 Inches is good enough for you at 1400p, there are 2 places where you can obtain 120Hz-capable 27Inch 1440p monitors right now. They are:

OverlordComputer.com (currently preordering, $465USD + Shipping, expecting delivery late October or early November). DO NOT buy this without the pixel perfect option unless you are happy with stuck/dead pixels. This is simply a function of how offering pixel perfect works. Many/Most/All the perfect panels are sold as "pixel perfect".

120hz.net (currently available, $555 USD (400+155 flat rate shipping), ships within 2 days, shipping time is less than a week). No pixel perfect option, so they are all rolling the dice, but your chances seem decent. Mine is flawless :p

The monitors are the same panel, very very similar internals, but a slightly different case/bezel. They both only accept Dual-Link DVI input. They both require overclocking to hit 120Hz, so read up on whether or not your GFX card can do it (the GFX card and drivers are the limiting factor with these, usually).

Last edited:
A few points:

1) 30 Inch and 1440p are somewhat mutually exclusive. 1440p is 27Inch, 1600p is 30Inch (both are 2560x). While it isn't impossible to make a 30Inch 1440p monitor, nobody will do it.

2) Assuming 27 Inches is good enough for you at 1400p, there are 2 places where you can obtain 120Hz-capable 27Inch 1440p monitors right now. They are:

OverlordComputer.com (currently preordering, $465USD + Shipping, expecting delivery late October or early November). DO NOT buy this without the pixel perfect option unless you are happy with stuck/dead pixels. This is simply a function of how offering pixel perfect works. Many/Most/All the perfect panels are sold as "pixel perfect".

120hz.net (currently available, $555 USD (400+155 flat rate shipping), ships within 2 days, shipping time is less than a week). No pixel perfect option, so they are all rolling the dice, but your chances seem decent. Mine is flawless :p

The monitors are the same panel, very very similar internals, but a slightly different case/bezel. They both only accept Dual-Link DVI input. They both require overclocking to hit 120Hz, so read up on whether or not your GFX card can do it (the GFX card and drivers are the limiting factor with these, usually).

I now have the samsung s27a950d and it's a okish monitor. i am not interested in another 27" monitor as my current monitor big pixels' don't bother me. I want a 30 inch monitor that can do 120hz. 1600p is fine with me.

Note that while a 30" 2560x has +80px top and +80 px bottom vs the 27" -- the 30" does not have any more pixels across the width than the 27" , its pixels are just that much larger.

The 80px top and bottom size 'gap' would be much smaller size-wise at the same pixel sizes --> .75 inches top and .75 inches bottom (3/4inch top and bottom) 1.49" total to be exact if both were 108.8ppi.

Another way to look at it on more equal terms is that if you moved the 30" panel back enough until its width (and ppi) looked equal to the 27" to your viewing perspective, there would be .75" peeking out top and bottom (about the diameter of a dime coin) in relation to the 27" screen, 80px tall each.
Perceived pixel size is relative to viewing distance also of course. At the distance I view my 27" 2560 x 1440 ips for all desktop/apps/browsing, and my 27" 120hz 1080p TN for gaming, they are great for their respective tasks imo. The exact same (other than rez) 27" 120hz TN monitor at low response time + High RTC theoretically available at 2560 x 1440? Might be worth consideration, but at a FPS hit of course, and with the price of all the 120hz TN's currently I'm sure it would be at a price that wouldn't make it worth it to me. In fact I got my 120hz tn on sale for $399.99 before they shot up to almost $600, or I prob would not have bit.
I don't have interest in higher hz ips as I said, because ips smears a lot worse. Even TN with its considerably lower response times and aggressive RTC (which again is integral to why it smears less), smears - but appreciably less than a 7 - 10ms+ ips lacking in the response time and RTC factors even if quoted at 120hz.

In the case of modern, low response time + overdrive 120hz*input* LCD computer monitors - the response time compensation ~ overdrive combined with the screen update rate to the pixels (not the fps) comes into play from what I understand. According to this article, at 8.3ms per screen update (120 screen updates/second ~ 120hz) on high/very high overdrive, the pixels "relax" much faster than at longer screen updates of 60hz at 16.6 ~ 16.7 ms each. These updates are sent regardless of your frame rate, resulting in some duplication at lower frame rates, but the overdrive at 8.3ms per screen update should still reduce the smearing.
If this review is correct, it might give some insight. It also has some nice diagrams and further details on the page linked beyond what I pasted below, and on the 60hz testing on the page that comes before it.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/monitors/display/samsung-sm2233rz_10.html#sect0
What about 120Hz then? Subjectively, RTC artifacts disappeared when I changed the refresh rate, but why?

The response time does not change much. The average is 3.3 milliseconds (GtG), which is only 0.1 less than at 60Hz. This difference may be just due to measurement inaccuracies.

The RTC error in percent is somewhat lower: an average of 7.3% and a maximum of 40%. This is better than at 60Hz (9.6% average) but not much different.

The RTC error relaxation time is the answer. The diagram is made to the same scale as for the 60Hz refresh rate so that you could easily see the difference. The average relaxation time was 15.2 milliseconds but now is only 6.6 milliseconds. It means that the RTC errors are not just lower but also vanish from the screen faster!

I want to illustrate this with a series of pictures showing the movement of a black square along a gray background at 60Hz and 120Hz refresh rates. The square is moving from left to right and its movement is captured each 8.3 milliseconds – the picture update period at a refresh rate of 120Hz.

Back