The Battle Begins. GTX260 for $259 AR!!!!

If you're gonna compare performance at high resolution wouldn't it be better to equalize the available memory a bit? The 260 only seems to be within the 2-5fps area when the 4870 actually runs out of VRAM. Throw in a 1GB 4870 and I doubt even at high res it would hold up.

Another blatant display of fanboyism...

Read reviews will you ? The GTX 260 is equal to or better than the HD 4870 at higher resolutions. Much better now, with prices like these. Also, the HD 4870 needs a hell of an overclock to beat the GTX 280 at 2560x1600.

Really? It just needs another 512MB of VRAM. :rolleyes:

At that pace, the GTX 280 is GAME already even with the 4870 at 10%/15% OCed. Stop your fanboyism.

Can we stop the fanboy train. I mean it`s great and all but what does it have to do with the topic at hand...nothing. Back to the point: I think it`s awesome that we are seeing NVidia drop prices because it makes us as the consumer win. Whatever route we choose it`s still success and it`s not ridiculously expensive :D. (I wish those prices were true in Canada too)

Yeah the 4870 does look like it beats the gtx 260 overall on techreport, but barely in most cases and it certainly doesn't match a 280. Although I would say the price of the 280 doesn't justify the performance. I am excited the prices are dropping however. Maybe there will be 4870's with no rebate at 250, wouldn't that be a nice dream. :)

Can we stop the fanboy train. I mean it`s great and all but what does it have to do with the topic at hand...nothing. Back to the point: I think it`s awesome that we are seeing NVidia drop prices because it makes us as the consumer win. Whatever route we choose it`s still success and it`s not ridiculously expensive :D. (I wish those prices were true in Canada too)

The prices I'm seeing over my country is still 150% more expensive for GTX260 vs HD4870 (RM1500 vs RM1000) so it applies. The 9800GTX is more expensive than the 4870 too.

Just because they threw down some candy in some certain territory doesn't mean everyone must suck up to it as THE definitive reasonale. nVidia always plays this game as PR outlets will pick it up and spread it (US prices on certain cards with MIR) while prices around the world... well, have fun with that.

ATI has so much goodwill (I'm betting people will LOL about this, but it's true. Monthly drivers, no ****ing crap .INF modding, no obnoxious Focus Group members) spread around that only fanboys ignore it completely.

You can bet your mother AMD will lower 4870 prices below 260gtx and the ATI card is still a 8xAA/16xAF monster compared to it's rival.

Just to let you know I wasn`t referring to you specifically, Lost, but to the whole thread about the fanboy thing. I used to have a 9600 Pro then I got an X850 XT PE, then an X1900XTX, then an 8800GTS 512, I`m staying neutral. I dislike nvidias pricing scheme but I also dislike the previously horribly crashing ATI drivers, and as a Linux user I also dislike ATI`s lack of support for Linux. So I am by no means a fanboy if that is what you were accusing me of being.

Really? It just needs another 512MB of VRAM. :rolleyes:

At that pace, the GTX 280 is GAME already even with the 4870 at 10%/15% OCed. Stop your fanboyism.

You already aced your fanboy test 26 days ago Lost!. No need for more.

ATI has so much goodwill (I'm betting people will LOL about this, but it's true. Monthly drivers, no ****ing crap .INF modding, no obnoxious Focus Group members) spread around that only fanboys ignore it completely.

You bet people will laugh...

I thought a fanboy was a fanboy, no matter where his/her loyalty was, but damn...this is getting ridiculous for ATI's fans. From "remorse threads" to constant threads about "the end of NVIDIA" to "ATI has so much goodwill"...:rolleyes:

Get one thing straight. AMD/ATI doesn't care about you, only your money. NVIDIA doesn't care about you, only your money and same goes for AMD, Intel or any other big company. You like certain products from a certain company more than any other, fine. But damn, wake up...

Silus would you just drop it?
Move on ignore the thread.
These prices are rather good Im loving this competition.
Last generation was only saved (price wise) by the 3x00 series of GPUs then finally Nvidia brought some real force to the market. This gen is low prices right off the bat and I am glad to see this. 4870 is a better buy than the 260 it seems and Nvidia obviously knows that. Now how low can Nvidia go compared to Ati in the price sector hrm?

Silus would you just drop it?
Move on ignore the thread.

Oh I will. It just saddens me to see this forum go down the drain with so much FUD.

{NG}Fidel said:
These prices are rather good Im loving this competition.
Last generation was only saved (price wise) by the 3x00 series of GPUs then finally Nvidia brought some real force to the market. This gen is low prices right off the bat and I am glad to see this. 4870 is a better buy than the 260 it seems and Nvidia obviously knows that. Now how low can Nvidia go compared to Ati in the price sector hrm?

The 8800 GT was released before the HD 3800 series. Not to mention that NVIDIA had the 8800 GTS 320, that offered high-end performance, for a very good price, not too far off the release of G80. Just FYI.

The 3870 and 3850 brought the prices down silus.
I never said Nvidia didnt have a good card just that the prices were too high.

The 3870 and 3850 brought the prices down silus.

No. The HD 3870 was cheaper because it didn't perform as well as a 8800 GT. AMD even increased the price a bit, to take advantage of the fact that 8800 GT's, due to supply/demand issues, was selling for over $250.

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/13685

What drove the prices down further was in fact the 9600 GT:

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/14379

My GTX280 will arrive from step-up in a week or so, and then I don't have long to wait to see if I should sell it and my 8800 GT 512s toward dual 4870x2 ...or break the shrink-wrap and stay with a single-GPU on my primary display. That's good, because I'm not very patient when it comes to waiting on gear.

I'm real interested in hearing other's experience with microstutter (or lack thereof) and how well the drivers deal with 3 monitors in XF. I've heard for a while that DVD playback is subjectively better on ATI, so I wouldn't hesitate switching if the gaming performance is significantly better (and smoother).

No it didnt perform as well but it was the best bang for the buck.
Like I said
But AMD's 3x00 series brought such great performance for such a dirt cheap price that Nvidia was pressured.
What created the 9600GT was in fact the 3x00 series.
And Nvidia reacted with a great card for a great price.

Doesn't the 4850 surpass the 260, in just about every way? Plus if you were to overclock it, well, yeah.. :eek:

You mean the HD4870.. the HD4850 is around/above 9800GTX level not GTX 260.

I thought a fanboy was a fanboy, no matter where his/her loyalty was, but damn...this is getting ridiculous for ATI's fans. From "remorse threads" to constant threads about "the end of NVIDIA" to "ATI has so much goodwill"...:rolleyes:

Get one thing straight. AMD/ATI doesn't care about you, only your money. NVIDIA doesn't care about you, only your money and same goes for AMD, Intel or any other big company. You like certain products from a certain company more than any other, fine. But damn, wake up...

Slius this the same thing that happen back when NV was flogging ATI/AMD. We had a lot of nV fans claiming everything under the sun about out ATI was dead, the new NV card were the best thing ever, ect... so we just have to deal with it and ride on. I think every company needs this kick in the pants once in a while to keep them honest and driving for positive change.

I wonder if ATI will release their 4780X2 early to stop all this madness?.....or perhaps will it start a new madness?

COME OUT ALREADY! I am running on a spare ati
3450.....I can't wait any longer!

I wonder if ATI will release their 4780X2 early to stop all this madness?.....or perhaps will it start a new madness?

COME OUT ALREADY! I am running on a spare ati
3450.....I can't wait any longer!

i think it'll only add to the madness. since the 4850 and 4870 came out everyone has been saying how much crap nV is in. Then came the news of their stock dropping 30%. I'm sure once the 4870X2 comes out and whips the pants off the GTX280 ppl will say nV will shut its doors. You can't win em all. I'm just happy we get a choice instead of being forced to buy from one company.

I couldn't wait any longer either, so I just ordered the GTX260 for $260AR last night. Would've really liked the 4870x2 but I'm not sure I could justify a $500 videocard. But damn, I wanna see some numbers on that thing.

Yeah, this is kind of thing that makes me think that 4chan's behavior isn't due to it just being 4chan. /g/ was/is doing the exact same thing on both sides now and it's annoying as fuck.

I glad I refunded my 280 before time was up and ordered a 260. Whew I almost got caught.

Clock and memory frequencies are easy to match, but you're still bound by the 448 bit memory interface and 48 less Stream Processors. Less ROPs too.

My GTX 260 is at http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/2rvyz/

650/1425/1250mhz - which gives me 140GB/sec bandwith. Now I'm not discounting that a GTX280 is still faster, but at 1920x1200 the GTX260 at these speeds is pretty beastly; not to mention the price they're coming down to.

Here is what I'm excited about. We can agree the 260 is faster than the 4850 and somewhere close to the 4870. Seems to me nvidia just filled the gap. It has 95 percent performance of a 4870 or so but with a lower price tag. I wish it wasn't mir but if the card drops to 249 I might bite. It fills the gap between the 4850 and 4870. I want 280 prices to be around 400.

Guys, remember... fanbois get bro-raped.

Anyway, how does one 260 stack up against two 8800GT cards in SLI?

Here is what I'm excited about. We can agree the 260 is faster than the 4850 and somewhere close to the 4870. Seems to me nvidia just filled the gap. It has 95 percent performance of a 4870 or so but with a lower price tag. I wish it wasn't mir but if the card drops to 249 I might bite. It fills the gap between the 4850 and 4870. I want 280 prices to be around 400.

You mean GTX260 is now to HD4870, what latter is to GTX280 price/performance wise... HD4870 just got it's real nemesis :D

Do you guys really think that ATI won't respond next week or the week after (the latest) by discounting the 4870?
Whatever price movement we're seeing now is the first attempt by nVidia to maintain the market share since it's starting to loose to ATI and quite badly.
ATI will follow by lowering its prices on the 4870s when they become widely available. Shouldn't take longer than a week for that to happen.

Competition is never bad.

And Silus, you are completely ignoring the fact that people in other countries sometimes face huge price differences versus what we have here in the states. I'll bet if your choices for high end video cards were $500usd and $1000usd that you'd be singing a different tune, especially when it comes to price and performance.

Me personally, I'm pissed that this price drop occurred so fast. My stepup that was about to expire forced my hand. If I had a little longer, I might have been able to trade to the 260 without as much out of pocket.

But don't think I won't sell that puppy to some Nvidiot who just has to have SLI and grab a 1gb HD4870 or HD4870x2 if it proves to be all that. I game at 1920x1200, so I'll take what I can get for the best price at the high end.

$50bux rebate will be bad if they don't accept it or "lost it".
And since I am paying tax, I prefer a smaller rebate but a bigger price cut.

I honestly don't know if ati will lower their prices. I mean price for performance nvidia is settling with ati. If you go with your thought, in 1 month 4870s will be 100 bucks. You have to realize that moving a 4870 to 249 and a 4850 to 149 pushes their low end 38xx down to nothing. High end cards are show boats with low profits, low to mid end cards are the cards real people buy. They produce the highest quantity and have the largest profits on them. Want to know why we have low availablity at launch? The cost per item is so high that they lose money, but after producing enough items they begin making that loss back and then some.

360 ring a bell? 1200 loss per system at launch? Yeah they're making profit now on them.

Its a game, a war. Nvidia sold their new series high in price because they were the early bird. Now its time to be competative.

If the 4850 was 149 the 3870 would have to be 99 the x2 129 and the 3850 49. Awesome prices but keep dreaming. Is at hardforum represent a tiny population of people on the cutting edge. In main stream computers, you will still see the low end cards.

As a matter of fact, I know a lot of neglagent people that associate Intel and nvidia as the best, along with Sony. Name recognition. I think everybody that's concerned with nvidias financials are impatient. Ati survived 2 generations of medocre launches, 29xx and the 38xx. Yes, you can argue the 38xx being a great bang for buck but nvidia fought back with the 8800gt. What about all that money nvidia banked during the last .... What 2 years since the 8800gtx came out?

Don't get me wrong I'm no fanboy. As a matter of fact I hate green and red since I'm a Michigan wolverine fan. I'm playing devils advocate.

I agree the nvidia launch was week with only 2 real new cards, no hype on a dual gpu single card and high prices.

I think the larger memory busses are premature since most users are around 16xx by 1xxx resolutions. That's where the real fight is. 280 gtx this at 2k resolution this, but My monitor doesn't support that and I'm assumeing most of yours don't either.

I think this price drop is well due and will put all the cards in the market. The 4870x2 will keep the 280gtx low in price.

Next you need to ask yourself about sli 280 verse quad 4870. So far quad gpu has been more bragging that real gusto. I'm willing to bet that even though the 4870x2 xfire will have 4 gpus, sli 280 will be near the performance due to multi gpu scaling. What about 280 tri sli verse quad xfire?

Its exciting and interesting for all of those that haven't bought a 4870 yet. I'm glad I waited. I'm on an x38 so single gpu with nvidia is a must or xfire with ati.

Well I bit, $310.91 with 2-day shipping minus $40 rebate.

you made a good call.

No, I mean your point is true but they don't just care about your money. Right Now ATI is in a pretty ugly marketing position. Its in the public headspace Nvidia is the superior company. So when it comes to customizing your dell you click the GTX260 or GTX280 rather than the HD4870 even though the HD4870 will save you a significant wad of cash for similar performance. ATI needs to prove that their technology is superior to that of Nvidia's, and that takes alot more than nice ati friendly reviews. The fraction of the public that does they're homework (or, hell, just post a "I need a build from a botique help me out thread" and we'll do your homework for you) is very slim.

From a technical standpoint the RV770.... well its about as large as the G92 and it can take down the G92... but it's larger than the G92b so really its just inline with the performance/silicon space liniar graph. This puts us right back where we were with the initial release of the X1800 and 7800. Its just a race to shrink the dies now, which is good news for us!

No it didnt perform as well but it was the best bang for the buck.
Like I said

But AMD's 3x00 series brought such great performance for such a dirt cheap price that Nvidia was pressured.
What created the 9600GT was in fact the 3x00 series.
And Nvidia reacted with a great card for a great price.

note: RV670 is HD3850 and HD3870 (and soon to be HD4650 and HD4670?)
A GPU development cycle takes 3 years. A refesh cycle takes 1.5 or 2. When the R600 was released the RV670 was already in the works. ATI got luckey, they hit Nvidia where it hurt and that target was pretty damn tiny. The G93 (9600GT core) was in the works during the same time. Nvidia recognized they could have a potential problem with their line up long before the RV670 showed it to them.

Doesn't the 4850 surpass the 260, in just about every way? Plus if you were to overclock it, well, yeah.. :eek:

no. lol. HD4870 touches the GTX280 from time to time. I think the GTX280 doesn't have enough ROPs.

nvidia GTX 260 is still 256+ EUR

while
HD 4870 200+ EUR
HD 4850 138+ EUR

NO CHANGES AT ALL!

Nvidia every-where-else-but-america pricing is always slow. It will come down. The good board partners in the states, like EVGA, XFX, and BFG still have their prices in the stratosphere.

Back