The Battle Begins. GTX260 for $259 AR!!!!

Here is what I'm excited about. We can agree the 260 is faster than the 4850 and somewhere close to the 4870. Seems to me nvidia just filled the gap. It has 95 percent performance of a 4870 or so but with a lower price tag. I wish it wasn't mir but if the card drops to 249 I might bite. It fills the gap between the 4850 and 4870. I want 280 prices to be around 400.

I've read a few reviews that say the GTX 260 is faster. Is it possible that all the ATi hoopla lately has all of sudden made HD 4870 faster in everyone's eyes? Is there any definitive proof that the HD 4870 is clearly faster?

Here, the GTX 260 is faster @ 1680 x 1050 4AA 16AF Quake Wars...

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2321639,00.asp

But here the GTX 260 is much slower at the same res. and settings....

http://www.techreport.com/articles.x/14990/11

Both reviews use the same exact CPU at the same speed.

I can use 6 or 7 different reviews and show how one site says the 260 is faster while another site says the HD 4870 is faster. High-res. low-res. AA enabled or not.

I'd be all-in for the 260 for $260 if I could sort out which one is clearly faster...

I wasn't going to argue which was faster, I was just arguing the point that they are near a wash in performance. In this case the question is price per performance. Nvidia wins with the 260 at 260. Also 309 is not 299. 4870s are 10 over suggested on newegg. The deal you should compare us the 260 for 260 or the 12 percent off of the 4870 from best buy. 264 pre tax! That's hott.

I'm hoping these price drops mean that the 55nm variants are coming soon. It usually takes a few months after a successful re-spin before cards make it into the retail channel, which would mean for Sept availability, the 55nm GPUs would need to be in production (at the fabs) now.

go to anand and tom you will who is the fastest one :D nice now nvidia guys trust tweaktown even in hard review in apples to apples 4870 wins in crysis and assassin creed that makes two wins against one

Anand's numbers can't be relied on as they aren't real world benchies and last time I checked wasn't Tom's a taboo word?

go to anand and tom you will who is the fastest one :D nice now nvidia guys trust tweaktown even in hard review in apples to apples 4870 wins in crysis and assassin creed that makes two wins against one

Are you suggesting tweaktown are FOS and posted fake scores? I think the results depend on the PC configurations, settings used and which games are benched. The fact is that both cards are worth buying for $300.00 and neither one is all that much better than the other. YMMV. I personally would rather stick with Nvidia and now that NCIX messed up my 4870 order I may well get a 260 instead.

Cant we all just be happy that prices are coming down? Isnt that the best part overall?

Are you suggesting tweaktown are FOS and posted fake scores? I think the results depend on the PC configurations, settings used and which games are benched. The fact is that both cards are worth buying for $300.00 and neither one is all that much better than the other. YMMV. I personally would rather stick with Nvidia and now that NCIX messed up my 4870 order I may well get a 260 instead.
don't know tweaktowns reviews always look weird i don't trust them that much

Anand's numbers can't be relied on as they aren't real world benchies and last time I checked wasn't Tom's a taboo word?

Yea, really. He is suggesting I'm a noob because I used tweaktown and here he is suggesting Tom's Hardware instead. :rolleyes:

and last time I checked wasn't Tom's a taboo word?

Around here, you bet yer ass! I use to frequent that site years ago until they started their on HardNews. Now where did they get that I idea I wonder? They were thieving bastards back then but didn't they sell the site?

I'm glad I did have the extra cash to buy that HD3870 this week. Looks like a price drop is coming!

Why are all you infant post-whores bitching anyway? Competition is good for your pocketbook.

Looking for some help/suggestions to ease my mind. I haven't had anything to do so I tried to help myself, put together a spreadsheet (can publish it if anyone wants to see it) with numbers for the gt260, hd4870 and hd4850 from 10 different review sites.... this definetly hasn't helped at all.

I bought an HD4850 from BB for $150, modded the bios for 730/1175. I game at 1680x1050. Do I keep this HD4850 or do I return it (still have a week or so left on my 30 days) and get this msi GT260 or an HD4870?

Thanks for any and all help!

-Flak

Yea, really. He is suggesting I'm a noob because I used tweaktown and here he is suggesting Tom's Hardware instead. :rolleyes:
yeah nice ignoring other sites that i've said anyway believe what you wanna believe i don't care

I've read other reviews besides tweaktown. I've explained to you why there is a variance too. I chose to use tweaktown to illustrate my point. The scores speak for themselves. 4870 will win some and 260 will win others. What it comes down to is which one has less issues with compatibility, provides best frame rate for the games I play and has the best price. It was the 4870 yesterday but today I am not so sure.

@Neonflak

I'm interested in seeing your spreadsheet scores.

nice work.. looks like the gtx260 is a better deal at the $259 price point.

I don't need to insult you to ridicule you with numbers:

http://techreport.com/articles.x/14990/9

Only in GRID and Assassin's Creed does the HD 4870 prove to be better than the GTX 260. In everything else, the GTX 260 is either slightly slower or slightly faster. And as the resolution increases, the GTX 260 gains ground.

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTUyNCw0LCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

The GTX 260 and HD 4870 are matched in Crysis, Edge for the HD 4870 in Assassin's Creed and GTX 260 better in Age of Conan.

So what do you have to say about intelligence and ignorance again ? I don't expect much from a fanboy, but you could at least read...

and turn on 8xAA the hd 4870 beats even the mighty gtx 280 in most games at high resolutions, sorry if you really wanna know the truth, there it is. it is sad that people just want something to be faster and talk about high resolution and than totally ignore the real truth and the truth is it whoops ass at 8xAA, want a review check out firingsquad.com, and their 8xAA review, the hd 4870 beat even the gtx 280 in all but one test.

sorry i know truth hurts.

and other truth is that it is one hell of a deal for 260, and I would even cosinder buying one, but I don't have an nvidia mobo, and I can only do crossfire in the future.

I'm hoping these price drops mean that the 55nm variants are coming soon. It usually takes a few months after a successful re-spin before cards make it into the retail channel, which would mean for Sept availability, the 55nm GPUs would need to be in production (at the fabs) now.

trust me 55nm is not that close, otherwise nvidia would not have bothered releasing the gtx 280 at 65nm, and even at 55nm it will still be a big chip and yields won't be that high either, nvidia needs this chip on 45nm if they really want it to succeed.

i don't have an nforce mobo.. still on the 965p-DS3 train

The 4870X2 should be around GTX 280 SLI perhaps a little better for all we know, this is at least what vantage results imply. The lead could perhaps be increased with OC, but maybe the power supply of the card is a bit lack luster to deliver the necessary power for that.

Back