The AMD Driver Bug Thread

I'll just stick with older ATI/AMD drivers that work based on how their latest drivers most of them and the Upcoming ones they release 11.5 or 11.6 whatever ones.. will be buggy.

Based on the same issue of ATI install manager saying its installing the suite but falsely not installing it.
Im sure someone will file a lawsuit against ATI/AMD i would if i were wealthy enough about how their Drivers are Falsely giving false reports of saying its installing something when its not.

Im referring to the catalyst suites. It says it then u restart your pc hoping to see the ATI logo around the taskbar area but its non existent.

Looks like the newest drivers fixed my adobe hardware acceleration driver failures. 4 days since the update and absolutely zero driver failures. That makes me a happy turtle!

Alright, AMD has sent me a set of video drivers, video BIOS, and chipset drivers to try out. Going to install everything and see what happens.

Wish me luck. Hopefully my rig doesn't explode :p

Have they told you to try them one-by-one in some specific order, or just to upgrade everything and then see if it works?

I would like to add. I recently had to go back to 11.2 Drivers because I was having numerous issues with 11.4 drivers (not preview).

I recently started playing Mass Effect 2 again. EVERY single time i used any form of Anti Aliasing it would crash randomly with grey/brown lines like an old GSOD and I would have to hard restart. Going back to 11.2 fixed this issue.

I just last week installed Bad Company 2 again. AND the same this with this game....I would play about 10-15 minutes, and BOOM GSOD or Brown screen of death.

after the last time of BC2 crashing and making me hard reboot, I went to un-install the 11.4 drivers first, and Windows BSOD on me while i was TRYING to un-install the 11.4 drivers.

As of Thursday since I re-installed the 11.2 drivers, I played over 4 hours of BC2 with 8xSSAA going with no issues what soever.

I played a good 2 hours of Mass Effect, and it seems rock solid.

I hate to say it, but stay away from the 11.4 Drivers

I would like to add. I recently had to go back to 11.2 Drivers because I was having numerous issues with 11.4 drivers (not preview).

I recently started playing Mass Effect 2 again. EVERY single time i used any form of Anti Aliasing it would crash randomly with grey/brown lines like an old GSOD and I would have to hard restart. Going back to 11.2 fixed this issue.

I just last week installed Bad Company 2 again. AND the same this with this game....I would play about 10-15 minutes, and BOOM GSOD or Brown screen of death.

after the last time of BC2 crashing and making me hard reboot, I went to un-install the 11.4 drivers first, and Windows BSOD on me while i was TRYING to un-install the 11.4 drivers.

As of Thursday since I re-installed the 11.2 drivers, I played over 4 hours of BC2 with 8xSSAA going with no issues what soever.

I played a good 2 hours of Mass Effect, and it seems rock solid.

I hate to say it, but stay away from the 11.4 Drivers

been using 11.4 since the first beta on both desktop and my Macbook Pro..

No issue so far except the mouse lag..

I've been testing the new BIOS and drivers, and...they havn't really changed anything so far. Here's the rundown:

2. PowerPlay Downclocking:
Unresolved. No change in behavior.

5. Cursor corruption:
Unresolved. Fix will be in Catalyst 11.5

6. AMD Overdrive Idle Clockspeed:
Unresolved. No change in behavior.

7. CCC Profiles not properly applied:
Unconfirmed. System has not been tested long enough to confirm.

8. Cursor Lag:
Unresolved. Fix will be in Catalyst 11.5

9. Slow Display Mode Switching:
Unconfirmed. System has not been tested long enough to confirm.

Edit 1: They've managed to add a new bug in the process of...not fixing anything. AMD Overdrive is now compleatly FUBAR, in that the only thing it can do now is change fan speed. All other options are gone, as are the clockspeed and temperature readouts.
Edit 2: Here's a screenshot of the damage...

captureuta.png

Last edited:
I just want to point out that the front page says switching to drivers earlier than 11.1 resolves the slow mode switching problem. Well, I've switched back to 10.12 to try and get away from it and the problem is still present. A little google searching shows some posts on the amd forums complaining about after 10.12 was released. Just thought maybe the OP should be updated, b/c I think you actually have to go back to 10.11.

Are you sure we're talking about the same bug/glitch? What steps would I take to reproduce what you're experiencing?

As far as I know, I'm talking about the slow display mode switching bug, the last one on your list. Manifests itself everytime I load a 3D application (in full screen mode. works just fine if I start in windowed mode). One screen goes black followed by the second and they sit there black for up to 30 seconds. Then it goes back to desktop. Then the first monitor goes black again, followed by the second and again the both sit there for 30 seconds or more. Then the game usually starts...or it might go through the cycle a third time before finally starting. It disappears for up to a day if I restart the computer, but it always comes back.

After finding this thread, I went back to 10.12 as the OP seemed to indicate. Uninstalled previous drivers and also ran driver sweeper before installing 10.12. But it didn't get rid of the problem. I figured something else might be wrong, so I did some more google searching and found this thread.....

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=279&threadid=144759

....which seems to suggest that it was also a problem for 10.12. I reinstalled 10.11 tonight, so hopefully that finally gets rid of it.

Not fixed in 11.5a.
Don't be so quick to claim that...remember, AMD's installer is pretty buggy as well.

I was still seeing the problem after upgrading directly from 11.4 to 11.5a, but then I checked some file versions and discovered the installer had screwed up and failed to overwrite some of 11.4

Uninstalled AMD's drivers, booted into Safe Mode, ran Driver Sweeper, booted normally, THEN I installed 11.5. Now the cursor lag is gone.

Don't be so quick to claim that...remember, AMD's installer is pretty buggy as well.

I was still seeing the problem after upgrading directly from 11.4 to 11.5a, but then I checked some file versions and discovered the installer had screwed up and failed to overwrite some of 11.4

Uninstalled AMD's drivers, booted into Safe Mode, ran Driver Sweeper, booted normally, THEN I installed 11.5. Now the cursor lag is gone.

Good news. I always go to remove programs in control panel and uninstall ALL of the ati files then boot into safe mode and run driver sweeper for safe measure. So How should I go about installing 11.5? install 11.5 then the 11.5a hotfix THEN the crossfire drivers or whatever?

Just install 11.5a, it's a complete driver package. After that's installed you can install the latest CAP so crossfire works right.

Don't worry, I did the same thing you did and the issue still persists.

Don't know what to tell you, it's gone on all three systems with AMD graphics that I have on hand here... Edit: you installed straight to 11.5a, right? If you installed 11.5 before installing 11.5a, you may still encounter the issue.

What, exactly, are you seeing? Is the cursor on time-delay, or are frames dropped/missing?

No 11.5 beforehand, just 11.5a.

It's this issue. Much more prominent in games (such as if you were to open Steam's overlay in a game and reproduce the steps there.. game would drop to 5fps or so).

First post has been updated for Catalyst 11.5a. Details are subject to change as AMDs changelog is verified against real-world testing.

I also had an hour-long call with AMD this morning. They managed to fully reproduce Bug #2 (PowerPlay Downclocking) and #6 (AMD Overdrive Idle Clockspeed) on their end. Clockspeed glitches and screen flicker were both verified, so now their software engineers are going to take a look and see what's causing it.

It's this issue. Much more prominent in games (such as if you were to open Steam's overlay in a game and reproduce the steps there.. game would drop to 5fps or so).
The game itself is dropping to 5 FPS when you move the cursor in circles in the top-right corner? The "cursor lag" problem normally just makes it look like the cursor (just the cursor, not anything else) is dropping frames when you move it through the effected portion of the display, what you're describing is something new...

First post has been updated for Catalyst 11.5a. Details are subject to change as AMDs changelog is verified against real-world testing.

I also had an hour-long call with AMD this morning. They managed to fully reproduce Bug #2 (PowerPlay Downclocking) and #6 (AMD Overdrive Idle Clockspeed) on their end. Clockspeed glitches and screen flicker were both verified, so now their software engineers are going to take a look and see what's causing it.

just wanted to say that its really nice to see that there is someone here actually talking to AMD and they are actually listening..

just wanted to say that its really nice to see that there is someone here actually talking to AMD and they are actually listening..

You can talk to AMD too. Just use the Catalyst Crew Feedback on the driver download page.

The game itself is dropping to 5 FPS when you move the cursor in circles in the top-right corner? The "cursor lag" problem normally just makes it look like the cursor (just the cursor, not anything else) is dropping frames when you move it through the effected portion of the display, what you're describing is something new...

No, that's the issue. The cursor seems to update once every second instead of the monitor's refresh rate every second. By some games's fps drop, I'm going by what Fraps says (but that's not always accurate, especially with DWM).

Bug #2 has been around for a while and is ridiculously easy for people to run into. I would be somewhat horrified if this was *new* information to them.

No, that's the issue. The cursor seems to update once every second instead of the monitor's refresh rate every second. By some games's fps drop, I'm going by what Fraps says (but that's not always accurate, especially with DWM).
Alright Snoknight, let me get some information from you so I can relay it back to AMD.

1. What's the exact make an model of your card?
2. Is it a reference or non-reference model?
3. Open up Catalyst Control Center > Information > Hardware
4. List what you have for "BIOS Version," "BIOS Part Number," and "BIOS Date"

Bug #2 has been around for a while and is ridiculously easy for people to run into. I would be somewhat horrified if this was *new* information to them.
Yeah, I'm trying hard to avoid jumping to that conclusion as well...

VisionTek 4850, reference. Also happened with the same card and the dual-slot VisionTek 4850 in CF, but I don't have that configuration anymore (negative CF scaling in BC2 half the time).

Code:
BIOS Version	011.003.000.000	
BIOS Part Number	113-B50102-103	
BIOS Date	2008/05/23

Last edited:
Ok, that was VERY helpful. I've only been testing against HD 5800 series cards, this is the first I've even heard of someone with an HD 4000 series card having cursor lag at all.

From what I can tell with the limited HD 4000 series hardware I have on hand, the fix included in Catalyst 11.5a only has an effect on the HD 5000 and HD 6000 series cards, while HD 4000 (and earlier) cards are ignored.

I'll pass this information along to AMD.

Here is a thread that explains why you see downclocking with hardware accelerated video. This is a hardware limitation and can not be fixed with a driver update.

Link

Here is a thread that explains why you see downclocking with hardware accelerated video. This is a hardware limitation and can not be fixed with a driver update.

Link

I don't believe that for a second. If you force the card into higher clocks the videos will still play fine. They could fix this with a check box option if they wanted to. Maybe UVD isn't working when that happens, but more people would rather have that than have their games run like total shit for what appears to be no reason.

Especially since AMD is still pimping Eyefinity multi monitor setups, its a joke that their cards cannot handle something basic like watching a video and gaming at the same time. A lot of people buy multi monitor setups just to do this!

Last edited:

My experience with the cursor lag box is the same as he's mentioning. My cursor obviously skips around, but my FPS are also affected during the state.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x--AfZpihPs

I made this video a few months ago when I first noticed the bug (back before I figured out upgrading drivers caused the problem). My only experience is in this game, but I also noticed that if I'm in at the Windows desktop, and if I move the mouse around that corner my mouse skips also. So for me it wasn't ONLY in games :)

Can't wait to get home and try the 11.5a

I had the 11.4's (WHQL) and I had a problem with a lot of games experiencing a blackish blinking. I reverted back to my old drivers (11.1 I believe) and my games look fine. I hope I don't have this problem with the 11.5a's.

Link
You're absolutely right, a driver update can't fix it because the card is overriding the driver internally.

A Video BIOS update, on the other hand, could solve the problem. There's nothing stopping AMD from pushing a BIOS update out (indeed, they've already sent me one new BIOS). I've already demonstrated that it's possible to botch together a work-around using a limited BIOS editor, so it seems pretty likely that they'll be able to devise a proper solution.

You're absolutely right, a driver update can't fix it because the card is overriding the driver internally.

Then why do videos continue to play if you setup a profile that forces the card to stay at high clock speeds?

A Video BIOS update, on the other hand, could solve the problem. There's nothing stopping AMD from pushing a BIOS update out (indeed, they've already sent me one new BIOS). I've already demonstrated that it's possible to botch together a work-around using a limited BIOS editor, so it seems pretty likely that they'll be able to devise a proper solution.

That might work but it might not be fixable via a bios update either.

Back