The AMD Driver Bug Thread

Cursor corruption does not just happen iwhen eyefinity is enabled. I use extended desktop with two monitors and it happens all the time. This glitch was around waaaayyy before eyefinity also.

First off, that makes no sense. What could ATi have possibly done to jack up their cards so much, that any motherboard you install one in requires a BIOS update to work correctly?
Second, that's supremely unhelpful. A lot of motherboards aren't supported anymore, meaning no BIOS updates, meaning no fix.
How is it that all other graphics card brands manage just fine on these motherboards without cursor corruption? Sounds like something ATi has to fix, not the motherboard makers.
You asked to be helped i gave you the solution, i can't tell you why it is like this just that it has been fixed.
And it worked for me on my Gigabyte ma790fxt ud5p

http://devforums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=260&threadid=122625&highlight_key=y

You asked to be helped i gave you the solution, i can't tell you why it is like this just that it has been fixed.

Requiring a motherboard BIOS update across a wide range of boards, when no other graphics card does, is not "fixed"

It makes it sound like something is majorly wrong with the graphics hardware, and they're trying to get motherboard makers to issue special patches to work around the issue.

english your first language ?

Is it yours? I should think my comprehension of the English language was fairly obvious given the manner in which I responded. I read the article and clearly sounded my dissatisfaction with their supposed "fix".

As I said in my previous reply, requiring a motherboard BIOS update does not make the problem "solved" or "fixed." The problem with the card is still there, all they've done is managed to hide it on some (not all) motherboards.

No other brand graphics card requires such a motherboard BIOS update to work correctly. That means something on these AMD cards is irreperably wrong, to the point that AMD can't fix it from their end and require some sort of BIOS hack to get around it. The issue clearly isn't solved, just covered up on a few motherboards that did get a BIOS update.

There are quite a few people out there with motherboards that have long since stopped recieving BIOS updates. What about them? The issue still persists, and always will, unless AMD can figure out some way to fix it from their end. Pointing their finger at motherboard manufacturers just seems like a way to get out of a class action lawsuit that would see them send out a batch of new cards with the currently engrained hardware issue resolved.

Last edited:
Got a problem with Crossfire not using VSync even when set to Always On in the CCC.

D3D Overrider needed for now.

What's with the low clock speed problem when playing hardware enabled flash videos? Is a bios update the only permanent fix for this?

Is it yours?
There are quite a few people out there with motherboards that have long since stopped recieving BIOS updates. What about them? The issue still persists, and always will, unless AMD can figure out some way to fix it from their end. Pointing their finger at motherboard manufacturers just seems like a way to get out of a class action lawsuit that would see them send out a batch of new cards with the currently engrained hardware issue resolved.

Nope English isn't my 1st language but i damn well understand what the issue is , i have experienced it and i got it fixed. If you took care to understand that the problem lies especially with newer mainboards (like the link said) how could you not get an update for a new mainboard.
Your nitpicking over "it is not fixed because i declare that AMD should fix their drivers" is another way of saying im to stupid to acknowledge that a fix has been posted and succes fully applied.

If you were at all serious about this issue you would _list_ all of the mainboard manufacturers which still do have this problem and _not_ treat this as a general issue.

Now fix your link on the 1st page or post which manufactures still lack a fix.

That shouldn't do anything.

Most games look at their own folder for DLL files, and if they fail to find them, immediately look at the System32 folder instead. If you copy the opengl32.dll from System32 to the game folder, you havn't changed anything, it'll still be loading the same DLL...

Most of those old games come with an old version of opengl32.dll that they load, and since they bring it, well, they don't load anything different, by overwritting it with the new one in your system32 you are forcing an override, so yeah it does do something, and i have done it since tnt2 M64 times with both ati and nvidia.

Your nitpicking over "it is not fixed because i declare that AMD should fix their drivers" is another way of saying im to stupid to acknowledge that a fix has been posted and succes fully applied.
No name calling, please.

That aside, I said using a GPU-specific BIOS patch (that no other graphics cards seem to require) does not fix the underlying issue with the graphics card itself. It's nice that some board makers were willing to work with AMD to negate the problem from their end, but that certainly doesn't mean the original root cause has been resolved.

If you were at all serious about this issue you would _list_ all of the mainboard manufacturers which still do have this problem
Know where I can find such a list? Most motherboard manufacturers don't like to blatantly post "this product has bugs and we wont be fixing them" on their product pages, which makes it rather difficult to compile an all-inclusive list.

I've added a link to that forum post you provided to the workarounds section, as it could help those with motherboards that have had a BIOS update released specifically to deal with this issue.

Most of those old games come with an old version of opengl32.dll that they load, and since they bring it, well, they don't load anything different, by overwritting it with the new one in your system32 you are forcing an override, so yeah it does do something, and i have done it since tnt2 M64 times with both ati and nvidia.
I'm looking and I see no opengl32.dll in my Return to Castle Wolfenstien or Quake III directories. The DLL was not installed with these games, which means they're going to the one located in System32 by default.

Also, if they came with an old version of OpenGL, there wouldn't be a problem. The older library would have a smaller number of exstensions and the games wouldn't crash...

Eariler you mentioned renaming atioglxx.dll to OpenGL32.dll (either in your System32 folder or in the game folder). That might actually do something...I'll test it out.

Last edited:
Bios updates for new hardware isn't all that unusual - I work in the enterprise IT field, and having a new driver / etc expose a fault in an older BIOS is not unusual at all. That's why BIOS updates exist.

What, exactly, was that supposed to help with? >_>

Wrong thread? Or just spam?

Last edited by a moderator:
Bot they post spam , regardless of topic always use a link in either their message or signature

I have never heard of this opengl issue.
I fired up my 5850 from a fresh clean after using nvidia cards and used the 10.5 drivers. I have used 10.6,8,9, and 10. NONE have any issue with any of these games. Infact I still enjoy tribes 2 to this day. I have done clean installs of each of those drivers. It seems odd to me some are having issues.

Everyone should have the OpenGL issue. How you've managed to get around it without knowing is a bit of a mystery... Can you give Return to Castle Wolfenstien a spin, see if it crashes immediately?

I guess it's possible the driver installer isn't working right, and the old atioglxx.dll in System32 isn't being overwritten with the newer version when you update drivers. That's all I can guess.

That particular game I will have to dig up (in the garage)
But I used the latest version of driversweeper to install each version.
The first game I always test is tribes 2 because it is THE game I care about.
The others I test later. The funny thing is that I tried all those games because I also upgraded to win 7 64bit and was worried that wouldn't work on it.

That being said... so much love is given to the 10.4s I am thinking of trying those. Seems to me most people think those are the best anyway.

Ok, I have an update on the corrupt mouse cursor issue. I managed to reproduce it on three separate systems using Catalyst 10.9.

1. HD5850 + Foxconn motherboard
2. HD5770 + Asus motherboard
3. HD5450 + Foxconn motherboard

The corrupt cursor seemingly triggers at random, most often when changing display modes (like what happens when you exit a game or switch from Eyefinity to extended desktop). All three motherboards had the latest BIOS, no further updates available.

The issue presented itself extremely frequently when running Catalyst 10.9, but went away entirely (as far as I can tell) after updating to Catalyst 10.10e. This seems like a driver issue, not anything to do with the motherboard or BIOS.

Edit: Just ran across something very strange. I got the cursor corruption to present itself, then told Windows to "duplicate desktop on monitors 1 and 2." This cloned my center screen on my left screen. The cursor was still corrupt on the center screen, but was perfectly normal on the left screen (even though both displays were supposed to display an identical image in this mode). This means the corruption is specific to one particular display head, effecting the hardware cursor overlay. That is definitely an issue with the video card, not the motherboard.

Last edited:
Updated original post for Catalyst 10.12

Summary: Nothing fixed, new bugs added. If you're happy with 10.10e, do not update.

Mods: can we get a sticky? Seems this thread is going to be useful for some time to come...

The 5850's I have are unable to crossfire. I check the box, click apply, and the check disappears. This is a serious bug in my opinion.

This update broke my display ports. (10.12)

None of my adapters work now in windows. Rolling back to hotfix.

Oh this is doubly hilarious. I start the uninstall, and the second it starts uninstalling drivers, boom, the screen comes up. Reinstall, screen down. Uninstall, screen up.

I <3 ATI.

Had two screen freezes with the 10.12s now.

It's not a BSOD because I can hear music playing from iTunes in the background.

Second time it froze I was just changing the MLAA setting in the CCC2.

Putting my cards up for sale and switching to a 580GTX. Not worth the hassle. Moving on.

Rolled back to 10.10e. Works fine, unless the DP screen goes to sleep, then I have to reboot to wake it up. At least it comes up though.

If the 12.13s don't fix it, I'll be throwing in the towel. Especially if it disables all the DP ports like the 10.12s did.

Yeah, I've noticed... and now he's changing jobs within AMD. Figures...

Is there an inbox we can complain to, or a phone number we can call, to complain about these issues directly to AMD?

I've got an issue with a pc I upgraded for the sister-in-law, Biostar TA785GE 128M onboard HD4200, 2GB DDR2 6400 RAM, and a 7750 Black edition cpu

Using Windows XP SP3 home and the 10.11 Catalyst driver the system is really slow to get to the desktop and if I use the search function and look for *.txt files it hangs ati2dvad.dll in an infinite loop. Remove the 10.11 series driver and install 9.10 and everything is perfect. I have not tried other 10 series drivers this is just a web/home office pc and does not play games heavier than solitare.

Are the drivers this bad? I was thinking about getting some 6970s but reading thru this makes me want go with a 580GTX.

i have installed the 6970 10.12a hotfix drivers and i have not had a single crash

had the car for a day running win 7 64bit

most bsod issues are dude to bad ram or powersupply

no the drivers aren't that bad, this thread is pretty overplayed.

I have used ati for a decade, and nvidia probably the same amount, ati isn't any different really, it's just personal preference and overly vocalized whining.

my dad, who is borderline stupid about some stuff since he got older, runs only ATI on his machine and he has no problems what so ever, running multiple monitors gaming HD video, he hardly ever has a problem and when he does it's cause he changed something by mistake.

I've got an issue with a pc I upgraded for the sister-in-law, Biostar TA785GE 128M onboard HD4200, 2GB DDR2 6400 RAM, and a 7750 Black edition cpu

Using Windows XP SP3 home and the 10.11 Catalyst driver the system is really slow to get to the desktop and if I use the search function and look for *.txt files it hangs ati2dvad.dll in an infinite loop. Remove the 10.11 series driver and install 9.10 and everything is perfect. I have not tried other 10 series drivers this is just a web/home office pc and does not play games heavier than solitare.

just stick with the 9.10 or 9.12 there isnt anything in the 10.xx or newer drivers that effect the HD4200 IGP.

Are the drivers this bad? I was thinking about getting some 6970s but reading thru this makes me want go with a 580GTX.

like stealthy said, no the drivers arent that bad. its just a bunch of crying because people didnt get what they wanted. the drivers work 99% of the time for 99% of things. minus openGL stuff for games no one really plays.

Good to know, I know I'm using a 4890 right now and haven't had any issues. I was just hoping the new gen cards weren't that bad, haha. Yeah going to grab some 6970s now. Thanks for the info.

Last edited:

The drivers are pretty bad right now...

- Bug #1 (OpenGL Extension Limit) is killing older OpenGL games on a lot of systems. It should be killing them on all AMD cards, but a limited number of people have reported success running these OpenGL games without hacks.
- Everyone has Bug #2 (PowerPlay Downclocking) if they have an HD 5830 or higher.
- Everyone has Bug #6 (ATi Overdrive Idle Clockspeed) if they're running Catalyst 10.12 with an HD5830 or higher.

- Bug #4 (6400k Glitch) has been resolved.
- Bug #5 (Cursor Corruption) has been resolved.
- Bug #3 (DXVA GUI Artifacting) needs further testing. Has not been checked in 10.12 yet.

Three major bugs fixed, three major bugs remaining (and Bug #6 was just added by 10.12). Basically, if you get an AMD card (HD 5830 or above) now, you WILL have some kind of issue with PowerPlay (Incorrect idle clocks, secondary monitors flickering, heavy performance loss while video is playing or paused, etc).

Last edited:
just stick with the 9.10 or 9.12 there isnt anything in the 10.xx or newer drivers that effect the HD4200 IGP.

like stealthy said, no the drivers arent that bad. its just a bunch of crying because people didnt get what they wanted. the drivers work 99% of the time for 99% of things. minus openGL stuff for games no one really plays.

Didn't get what they wanted?

I want the displayports to work. With the 10.12s, they don't. With the 10.10s, they do, although not reliably. I'd say my request is a reasonable one. I expect there's going to have to be a BIOS flash like there was for the 5XXX series.

Been through 2 different DVI adapters, 2 different VGA adapters, 2 different systems (100% different builds, minus OS), and 2 different cards. All the same.

Yay.

First post has been updated to better reflect current bug status. Resolved bugs have been collapsed.

- Bug #1 (OpenGL Extension Limit) is killing older OpenGL games on a lot of systems. It should be killing them on all AMD cards, but a limited number of people have reported success running these OpenGL games without hacks.

Don't have an issue with Quake 3, and have never had an issue with any version of Catalyst that was released in 2010. I've run 5850s, 5970, and now 6970.

Don't have an issue with Quake 3, and have never had an issue with any version of Catalyst that was released in 2010. I've run 5850s, 5970, and now 6970.
The rest of us would love to know how you've pulled that off. Quake 3 and Return to Castle Wolfenstein crash instantly on every AMD system I have, and many others in various threads have confirmed the issue.

All I can figure (and this is a blind guess) is there's a bug in AMD's driver installer that causes it to fail overwriting atioglxx.dll when updating. The old DLL stays in place, no issues with OpenGL games.

Edit: Here's a log dump from Return to Castle Wolfenstein. The log file simply cuts off in the middle of loading OpenGL extensions (there are too many for the engine to handle). An extension limit would fix things right up.
Code:
logfile opened on Sat Dec 18 20:44:28 2010

...detecting CPU, found AMD w/ 3DNow!
----- Client Initialization -----
Cmd_AddCommand: map_restart already defined
----- Initializing Renderer ----
-------------------------------
----- Client Initialization Complete -----
----- R_Init -----
Initializing OpenGL subsystem
...initializing QGL
...calling LoadLibrary( 'C:\Windows\system32\opengl32.dll' ): succeeded
...setting mode 4: 5292 1050 FS
...using colorsbits of 32
...calling CDS: ok
...registered window class
...created window@0,0 (5292x1050)
Initializing OpenGL driver
...getting DC: succeeded
...GLW_ChoosePFD( 32, 24, 8 )
...65 PFDs found
...hardware acceleration found
...PIXELFORMAT 2 selected
...creating GL context: succeeded
...making context current: succeeded
Initializing OpenGL extensions
...ignoring GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc
...using GL_EXT_texture_env_add
...using WGL_EXT_swap_control
...using GL_ARB_multitexture
...using GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array
...WGL_3DFX_gamma_control not found
...GL_ATI_pn_triangles not found
...ignoring GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic
...GL_NV_fog_distance not found

GL_VENDOR: ATI Technologies Inc.
GL_RENDERER: ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series 
GL_VERSION: 4.1.10362 Compatibility Profile Context
GL_EXTENSIONS: GL_AMDX_debug_output GL_AMDX_vertex_shader_tessellator GL_AMD_conservative_depth GL_AMD_debug_output GL_AMD_depth_clamp_separate GL_AMD_draw_buffers_blend GL_AMD_name_gen_delete GL_AMD_performance_monitor GL_AMD_sample_positions GL_AMD_seamless_cubemap_per_texture GL_AMD_shader_stencil_export GL_AMD_texture_cube_map_array GL_AMD_texture_texture4 GL_AMD_transform_feedback3_lines_triangles GL_AMD_vertex_shader_tessellator GL_ARB_ES2_compatibility GL_ARB_blend_func_extended GL_ARB_color_buffer_float GL_ARB_copy_buffer GL_ARB_depth_buffer_float GL_ARB_depth_clamp GL_ARB_depth_texture GL_ARB_draw_buffers GL_ARB_draw_buffers_blend GL_ARB_draw_elements_base_vertex GL_ARB_draw_indirect GL_ARB_draw_instanced GL_ARB_explicit_attrib_location GL_ARB_fragment_coord_conventions GL_ARB_fragment_program GL_ARB_fragment_program_shadow GL_ARB_fragment_shader GL_ARB_framebuffer_object GL_ARB_framebuffer_sRGB GL_ARB_geometry_shader4 GL_ARB_get_program_binary GL_ARB_gpu_shader5 GL_ARB_gpu_shader_fp64 GL_ARB_half_float_pixel GL_ARB_half_float_vertex GL_ARB_imaging GL_ARB_instanced_arrays GL_ARB_map_buffer_range GL_ARB_multisample GL_ARB_multitexture GL_ARB_occlusion_query GL_ARB_occlusion_query2 GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object GL_ARB_point_parameters GL_ARB_point_sprite GL_ARB_provoking_vertex GL_ARB_sample_shading GL_ARB_sampler_objects GL_ARB_seamless_cube_map GL_ARB_separate_shader_objects GL_ARB_shader_atomic_counters GL_ARB_shader_bit_encoding GL_ARB_shader_objects GL_ARB_shader_precision GL_ARB_shader_stencil_export GL_ARB_shader_subroutine GL_ARB_shader_texture_lod GL_ARB_shading_language_100 GL_ARB_shadow GL_ARB_shadow_ambient GL_ARB_sync GL_ARB_tessellation_shader GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp GL_ARB_texture_buffer_object GL_ARB_texture_buffer_object_rgb32 GL_ARB_texture_compression GL_ARB_texture_compression_bptc GL_ARB_texture_compression_rgtc GL_ARB_texture_cube_map GL_ARB_texture_cube_map_array GL_ARB_texture_env_add GL_ARB_texture_env_combine GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3 GL_ARB_texture_float GL_ARB_texture_gather GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_ARB_texture_multisample GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two GL_ARB_texture_query_lod GL_ARB_texture_rectangle GL_ARB_texture_rg GL_ARB_texture_rgb10_a2ui GL_ARB_texture_snorm GL_ARB_timer_query GL_ARB_transform_feedback2 GL_ARB_transform_feedback3 GL_ARB_transpose_matrix GL_ARB_uniform_buffer_object GL_ARB_vertex_array_bgra GL_ARB_vertex_array_object GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object GL_ARB_vertex_program GL_ARB_vertex_shader GL_ARB_vertex_type_2_10_10_10_rev GL_ARB_viewport_array GL_ARB_window_pos GL_ATI_draw_buffers GL_ATI_envmap_bumpmap GL_ATI_fragment_shader GL_ATI_meminfo GL_ATI_separate_stencil GL_ATI_texture_compression_3dc GL_ATI_texture_env_combine3 GL_ATI_texture_float GL_ATI_texture_mirror_once GL_EXT_abgr GL

Putting atioglxx.dll allows the game to start normally, with a greatly reduced number of extensions shown in the logfile.

Last edited:
Didn't get what they wanted?

I want the displayports to work. With the 10.12s, they don't. With the 10.10s, they do, although not reliably. I'd say my request is a reasonable one. I expect there's going to have to be a BIOS flash like there was for the 5XXX series.

Been through 2 different DVI adapters, 2 different VGA adapters, 2 different systems (100% different builds, minus OS), and 2 different cards. All the same.

Yay.

With my 6950s, I received 2 MDP-DP adapters. One of them was faulty and caused link failures.

It's not always the drivers, cards, or a PEBKAC issue.

Back