The Altcoin Thread

It's a marketing tactic I think, a great one because now how many of us have gone to the site that wouldn't have any other way?

The one thing LTC has going for it that I love is the fast transaction time. Moving BTC around is just plain slow in comparison.

Saying that LTC lost "real value" due to ASIC's can't be true, if that was the case... BTC should by that statement have no value since the only thing keeping it's network up are the heavy hitters and big bankrolls behind them.

I'd love to see LTC spike back to 40 dollars, even for an instant. I'd cash out the 50 LTC I own and continue to mine VTC. Still remember the days of trying to milk every last BTC I could with dual 6950's when I could have bee mining LTC at something like 2000 coins per month. Hindsight eh?

BTC is safe because it is an old player in the market. It is the defacto standard. I see tons of stores/services that accept Bitcoin. They don't accept Litecoin. That gives BTC value. As others have said, Litecoin got its bump by being for the GPU miners. It attracted capital from big players. Those big players are likely going to keep it afloat for some time, but I doubt it'll be what it was before. Unless they seriously start paying places to take it and drive up the reasons for using it, it has no purpose besides being a cheaper coin. In contrast, coins like DRK are trying to push better anonymity - that separates it from BTC on a technical level outside of being just a different algorithm.

I wasn't saying LTC was going to crash out, I was just stating that it lost a lot of its ability to drive a large valuation.

Also as a note, scrypt-n is paying pretty well on Nicehash. It's around 3x scrypt, since it's usually about half as fast, you can gain some ground with that. It usually pays double what scrypt pays.

Anyone using this new Nicehash feature? https://nicehash.com/multialgo/

I assume you have to use their Sgminer for that to work. You effectively apply your card settings on a per pool basis, which is smart as you only need one config file.

Now, I'd assume you could leave out the algos you don't want to do and just setup a backup pool elsewhere.

So, I once had faith in LTC that it might become the "silver" to BTC's "gold"... not today! I'm out once and for all. I took a small hit on my holdings, but I'm done with LTC.... unless it shows some backbone like it had months ago, it has now just become another shitcoin. I'm done with it unless it starts recovering to .025 or .030 or something... (ya I know... "fat chance").

On a side note, I guess it's not exactly the best time to be one of those guys sitting and waiting for their KNC Titan to be delivered huh? I'm not one of those guys, but I can just imagine the thoughts going through their heads seeing their honey pot going south like this.

So, I once had faith in LTC that it might become the "silver" to BTC's "gold"... not today! I'm out once and for all. I took a small hit on my holdings, but I'm done with LTC.... unless it shows some backbone like it had months ago, it has now just become another shitcoin. I'm done with it unless it starts recovering to .025 or .030 or something... (ya I know... "fat chance").

On a side note, I guess it's not exactly the best time to be one of those guys sitting and waiting for their KNC Titan to be delivered huh? I'm not one of those guys, but I can just imagine the thoughts going through their heads seeing their honey pot going south like this.

Good call. You're better off sticking to straight up BTC over LTC since there is no longer a difference between the two (sorry but a different algo that supports asics, 4x the coinage and 1/4 the confirm time are not features). BTC offers first-mover advantage, more brand recognition, and a greater infrastructure/capital investment than LTC.

Good call. You're better off sticking to straight up BTC over LTC since there is no longer a difference between the two (sorry but a different algo that supports asics, 4x the coinage and 1/4 the confirm time are not features). BTC offers first-mover advantage, more brand recognition, and a greater infrastructure/capital investment than LTC.

Ya, I don't know what made me think that there might have been hope for it. I suppose it was partly the BTC-e trollbox.... you know the "I guarantee there will be a LTC pump within 2 weeks" crap that gets spewed every so often.

But, I forgot the first cardinal rule of BTC-e trollbox.... "Do not believe ANYTHING you read in BTC-e trollbox!"

Hey everyone, just a heads up:

I just got an email from "[email protected]" (two actually) claiming the following:

"Dear User

Successful authorization.

0.758484 BTC Has been Send To another account

To show invoice , Download From Attach

Regards,

Administration of btcguild.com"

And then there is an attachment of "Invoice_btc487744.jar"

heh, tricky tricky, no way am I opening that!

I used BTC Guild years ago but I have not in awhile and do not believe I ever used this email address with them (a personal domain). Also, i don't ever remember leaving any bitcoin with them, much less that much... I totally would have sold that a long time ago :).

I just wanted to give everyone a heads up on what appears to be a shady email. I'm not sure if the btc guild email has been compromised or if they are just spoofing the info at btcguild.com address but be on the lookout and don't open any attachments, especially executable ones 0.o.

On a different note, wow it has been a long time since I've posted in this thread. It is summer here so I ahve not been mining, and I see that the algorithms are going by super fast (X13?? I though X11 was the new up-and-comer heh) now. Are people still mining the alt-coins?

Ya, I don't know what made me think that there might have been hope for it. I suppose it was partly the BTC-e trollbox.... you know the "I guarantee there will be a LTC pump within 2 weeks" crap that gets spewed every so often.

But, I forgot the first cardinal rule of BTC-e trollbox.... "Do not believe ANYTHING you read in BTC-e trollbox!"

Ah yes, BTC-e... bunch of LTC bagholders. It's scary over there.

Scam? Bribery? Could it be?! NO! Heaven forbid! Not in crypto!

If anyone cares, for your entertainment, CRYPT, the coin that everyone thought was doing so well the past few days and the one that people thought would get added to BTC-e next, well... here unfolds the drama:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=618377.2140

The drama sorta starts with post #2094 (a couple of pages back, but quoted again in post #2145) and gets really juicy at post #2156.

Even more juicy are the details revealed in the Pastebin post about the BTC-e deal.

I personally don't care if the whole story is true or not... I figure there are people now who are more leery of touching CRYPT. I know I am.

Last edited:
Back again after a year, first cold front of the year is coming through this weekend and wondering if I should re-assemble the miner.

Anything worth mining via 7950s anymore? Could never sell my cards.

Back again after a year, first cold front of the year is coming through this weekend and wondering if I should re-assemble the miner.

Anything worth mining via 7950s anymore? Could never sell my cards.

That's a negative. Nothing is good out to mine. I'm actually about to put my miners to sleep for the moment being.

That being said, i am positive some time in near future someone else will come up with the next "Scrypt" algo where GPUs will be back in the mix again.

yup -- been parting out my few rigs lately.

Even with winter approaching I didn't see it worth the effort or the electricity. Doesn't help that I just had to renew my electric contract and the terms were mega-shitty vs what I had previously. (was getting 5.2 cents per kwh (avg cost after all fees/charges) Now I'm more at the 9.X something cents per kwh.

Oh well -- I'm not really home much anyway -- travel for work these days to oil rigs. All I'm worried about is making sure my pipes don't freeze. (not a huge problem in north texas)

Not fun to see my million dogecoin value has completely tanked, so much for retirement, lol

It was worth $1000 at one point but nooo, I just couldn't sell, silly me.

Not fun to see my million dogecoin value has completely tanked, so much for retirement, lol

It was worth $1000 at one point but nooo, I just couldn't sell, silly me.

How did you ever expect it to go higher than the 250ish satoshi's it was at? There were/are literally tens of millions of them being mined every day. It's the same with bitcoin, there just isn't enough money going in anymore to keep the value really high.

How did you ever expect it to go higher than the 250ish satoshi's it was at? There were/are literally tens of millions of them being mined every day. It's the same with bitcoin, there just isn't enough money going in anymore to keep the value really high.

There was a lot of talk about dogecoin being the second litecoin but then tons of other alt coins flooded the market and drove the price down.

Dogecoin wasn't innovative. The value was all artificial from reddit lol

Back