The Altcoin Thread

If AsiaCoin does even half as good as BlackCoin did my early mining will net me the highest return of my entire mining career. Sitting on just over a million AC right now and am considering cashing in BTC to buy another cool million. It's a day away from the halving and only has a week lefty of mining total and is already #38 on the charts.

If AsiaCoin does even half as good as BlackCoin did my early mining will net me the highest return of my entire mining career. Sitting on just over a million AC right now and am considering cashing in BTC to buy another cool million. It's a day away from the halving and only has a week lefty of mining total and is already #38 on the charts.

Jesus how much hash are you running with? I've got about 10k and I thought that was pretty good...

Might be interested in this. I've got one seed running and so far I'm pretty happy with it. I know you can remove the fan at stock speeds, but wouldn't you want to keep the fan over volted and over clocked?

7 slot mobo for $100ar @ newegg for those still running gpu

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157460

not sure all 7 can be used at once, I know on some of the asrock it will disable a slot

This board sucks... If you have ribbon cables still you WILL have to short them and the NIC doesn't work in linux by default. You can end up installing NIC drivers. I haven't been able to get more than 4 cards running stable on mine so I'd just buy other mobos

Might be interested in this. I've got one seed running and so far I'm pretty happy with it. I know you can remove the fan at stock speeds, but wouldn't you want to keep the fan over volted and over clocked?

I think you should keep the fan, just to keep some air moving. I have taken the fan off mine and have a 120mm fan blowing over the 4 of them. It is working fine, the seeds seem happy.

the recurring theme here is China keeps fucking shit up... either on purpose or by pure accident, either way I'd love to see the BTC/LTC world just leave that entire side of the world behind, they have been nothing but problems.

the recurring theme here is China keeps fucking shit up... either on purpose or by pure accident, either way I'd love to see the BTC/LTC world just leave that entire side of the world behind, they have been nothing but problems.

Agreed. The whole "banning" for the 4th (or is it 5th) time now is getting old. Shit or get off the pot so this can be done with.

Don't blame China for the troubles of the Bitcoin market. Blame the rest of the world for reacting this way to negative Bitcoin news from China. Apparently people are continually relying on China to be the crutch for the price of BTC.

There are times like this one, however, that I believe certain parties may be using the negative news to artificially drop the price again.... so blame the whales.

If you are going to blame the sheeple instead of china then you can't really blame the wales either. lol

How long have you people been in the btc game?

THE PRICE ALWAYS FALLS ON FRIDAY.

Holy shit, its like clockwork, it happens every fucking week. Then everyone runs here and yells..."the sky is falling, the sky is falling."

*Check BTC price*

Ok, so what did China do this time? :rolleyes:

No kidding. The funny part is people outside of China really aren't even panic selling anymore. All we do is go to Coindesk, check out the latest dama, yawn and hold.

It's like Beverly Hills 90210 over there. :p

I switched some hash over to AsiaCoin. I had them on Whitecoin but that Dafuqcoin hack took out the pool I was using and wiped their wallets before I got any auto payouts.

It also took down the BlackcoinPool, but only as a precautionary measure.

It seems more and more of these temporary mining and then POS coins are popping up. What's the consensus? Get in on the mining and then hodl for a bit? Or sale right after mining stops?

I switched some hash over to AsiaCoin. I had them on Whitecoin but that Dafuqcoin hack took out the pool I was using and wiped their wallets before I got any auto payouts.

It also took down the BlackcoinPool, but only as a precautionary measure.

Damn, that's why BC price is tanking... :(

It seems more and more of these temporary mining and then POS coins are popping up. What's the consensus? Get in on the mining and then hodl for a bit? Or sale right after mining stops?

None will be as successful as Blackcoin. It's everyone jumping on the bandwagon trying to do the same as Blackcoin did. They figure it's this successful so their coin should be too. Only time will tell of course, but I still stand by my assertion that the market isn't as kind/generous to the second comers, wannabes, or clones of an already successful coin.

Ah... I just read about Dafuqcoin.

Chalk another one up to sheeple. This is what happens when smart coin devs go bad. But this also shows how many stupid amateur pool ops just jump on the bandwagon by supporting each and every new coin as it appears without reading any wallet code.

Man.. spent weeks with switching my miners over to DarkCoin during the day when it got too hit so I could let the house AC cool X11's lower power/heat.

Had around 5k DC.. and sold when it spiked up to $2.8 each. Not a bad margin call at all.

X11 is awesome. I wonder if HiroCoin will do similar, I've got around 20k Hiro and it's still in the double-digits on difficulty.. probably a good time to stick a single 5mhs rig on it fulltime.

I'm tossing around the idea of getting scrypt asics and moving my gpus to x11. the heat in the house is killing me.

I'm tossing around the idea of getting scrypt asics and moving my gpus to x11. the heat in the house is killing me.
Do it, I've been mining exclusively X11 for a month already. Profitability is kinda meh (around 0.004btc/mh/d in scrypt hashrate) but the temps, power consumption and general wear on the rig is pretty awesome.

I have to do some looking on this X11 thing.

The cost of power isn't a huge deal to me (5 cents per kwh) but it would be nice to do some mining without my house being 90F during the day.

(8Mhash worth of scrypt across 13GPU's)

is x11 like Scrypt-N at all? where hash rates are halved but still normal?

What's the typical power savings you are seeing percentage wise?

How long have you people been in the btc game?

THE PRICE ALWAYS FALLS ON FRIDAY.

Holy shit, its like clockwork, it happens every fucking week. Then everyone runs here and yells..."the sky is falling, the sky is falling."

Sell thursday, buy back friday, it's a nice cycle.

I have to do some looking on this X11 thing.

The cost of power isn't a huge deal to me (5 cents per kwh) but it would be nice to do some mining without my house being 90F during the day.

(8Mhash worth of scrypt across 13GPU's)

is x11 like Scrypt-N at all? where hash rates are halved but still normal?

What's the typical power savings you are seeing percentage wise?

The mining applications for x11 are not currently as optimized as they could be, but even with that the hash rate is still more than double Scrypt instead of the half you see using Scrypt-N. It's currently only 3.5x-4x faster than a CPU, and doesn't truly push the card to it's limits - this is due to the fact that it's wrapping 11 different algorithms into the calculations as an ASIC-preventative method.. instead of SHA-256, or Scrypt, or Scrypt-N, or Scrypt-Jane, x11 uses blake, bmw, groestl, jh, keccak, skein, luffa, cubehash, shavite, simd, echo in sequence. Due to it not pushing the card to the max, it runs pretty cool temperatures (roughly 40-60% fan for me @ 72C) and uses about 60% less power than Scrypt does allowing you to build systems with one less PSU (a single 1300w PSU can run 6x R9 290x's on a x11 rig, as opposed to the bare minimum of 2000w for Scrypt).

For example, using a single R9 290X at absolute optimal settings:

Scrypt: 990khash @ 350w
Scrypt-N: 460-480khash @ 375w
x11: 2500khash @ 150w

Some speculate that there is a "private" x11 build of cgminer that unleashes it's true potential and runs around 5000mhash per R9 290X. I'd hesitate to believe this is true, personally. People complaining about it's "efficiency" vs. CPU's also miss the obvious points that it's far more than efficient enough - even with x11 only being about 3.5-4x faster than a CPU, it's still far more power efficient, if you say compare a R9 290X to a X990 Extreme using x11 you get the following:

R9 290X: 2500khash @ 150w
Intel i7 X990 @ 3.47GHz: 69khash per thread x 12 = 828mhash @ 130w

I personally feel that x11 will be the next Scrypt (NOT Scrypt-N or Scrypt-Jane), and as such have been banking a lot of coins - mined a ton of DarkCoin early and sold it for a VERY high profit at $2.8 (mined around 5k of 'em before it hit that high), and have been slowly accumulating HiroCoin since it's still in double-digit difficulty levels.

Hopefully that answered your questions!

Last edited:
note above, scrypt should be in KILOhash, not MEGA. X11 is accurately represented in megahash.

Where can I find the X11 Linux distribution.
I'd like to try and build that since I just stopped Scrypt mining due to the basement approaching 90F.
I refuse to turn the AC on down here but to survive I had the floor fan on high about 2 feet from my chair and I was still sweating a little. ;)

Where can I find the X11 Linux distribution.
I'd like to try and build that since I just stopped Scrypt mining due to the basement approaching 90F.
I refuse to turn the AC on down here but to survive I had the floor fan on high about 2 feet from my chair and I was still sweating a little. ;)

I'd suggest using BAMT 1.6.0.

I just put up x11 on my pool... but if you mine on it you must accept BlackCoin. ;)

x11 miner -> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=475795.0

I'll mine scrypt for a little bit longer, but I am definitely switching to x11. From briefly trying it out, I'd rather just take some less profit mining x11 than having to deal with the heat, noise, undervolting, and etc of scrypt this summer.

I think I may, or at least give it a whirl. After crunching some numbers, I'd make more (or same) mining HIRO/DRK, with the benefit of way less power/heat.

Thanks for the help. I have it built now on my Linux boxes.
What pools are you using for Dark and Hiro?

Thanks for the help. I have it built now on my Linux boxes.
What pools are you using for Dark and Hiro?

I would just setup your own P2Pool for Dark or Hiro, especially with the amount of hash power you have. It's really not difficult to setup a node (can even do it in a virtual machine) and when you're right on top of your own node, you get almost no latency and rejects. The first 12 hours the payouts are low (they ramp up), but once P2Pool is going full swing, it's just really nice and convenient, and payouts from the P2Pool network go straight into your wallet.

I just put up x11 on my pool... but if you mine on it you must accept BlackCoin. ;)

x11 miner -> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=475795.0

I'll mine scrypt for a little bit longer, but I am definitely switching to x11. From briefly trying it out, I'd rather just take some less profit mining x11 than having to deal with the heat, noise, undervolting, and etc of scrypt this summer.

Just switched my main box (which is in the main room and heats up quite a bit) to X11 and your pool. The lower temps are awesome. Really like the stuff you're doing with the pool.

So, Whitecoin was fun, what's next?

I moved the video cards over to X11, Darkcoin. So nice to not have my ears bleeding from 290x's.

Gridseeds are going to the new Particle multipool.

Back