The Altcoin Thread

The guy describing it in the first post sounds like he's Wolong.
- runs an alt coin investors group
- made lots by "investing" in coins blah blah blah
- was part of successful coin launches so the Wecoin group contacted him to help with the launch.

it certainly does have scam written on it if it's Wolong.

what makes people think sha3 is asic resistant, it most certainly does not look resistant at all

what makes people think sha3 is asic resistant, it most certainly does not look resistant at all
It's not resistant at all, it's just not worth making an ASIC for (yet). If it takes up, BTC-level ASICs will rain down very fast.

Somehow, I seem to think all ASICs capable of SHA-256 would, with little to no modification, be able to do SHA-3. But that's just my own theory based on what little I know of either algorithm.

Last edited:
SunnyD you has PM! Please forward my idea to other pool operators you may know if you're unable to be up for the task! ;)

And lol, I was mining RDD on my P2Pool node for the past day thinking I hit jackpot on mining, until I redid my calculation and realized I missed a decimal place.

Last edited:
Somehow, I seem to think all ASICs capable of SHA-256 would, with little to no modification, be able to do SHA-3. But that's just my own theory based on what little I know of either algorithm.

An entirely new ASIC design would have to be made to support SHA-3. Not difficult for those with the know-how, but it is costly. I would say none of the SHA-3 coins have a market cap that would warrant the investment. If we see an SHA-3 coin with a $100M market cap I guess that could change things.

Although I don't think the SHA-3 spec is even finalized so if an ASIC was made, it could be rendered useless quick if changes are made to the algorithm and the coin creator decides to implement them.

looks like doge is about to flatline if it continues on this trend

it's @ 136. yes it's down from it's high of 200... but for awhile i was selling doge at 140. I would not put the fork in it.

yup - i still plan to hold a bit of DOGE as we approach another split here in a month or so. Price might shoot up randomly for some tidy profit.

I was pleased how I sold off at the damn near perfect time during the last DOGE rise, always a good feeling.

Biggest mistake so far is Worldcoin for me - sitting on 1600 WDC, should have sold when they were 50 cents each, last time I checked it was something like 9 cents. *shrugs* it will be one of those coins I hold to it's death hoping for one last huzzah

looks like doge is about to flatline if it continues on this trend

And remember, it was around 70 Satoshis for the longest time until it was pumped above 100 and then pumped eventually to 300. It may be in line for a bit of a boost when we get a bit closer to the split... how high and if it even happens at all remains to be seen.

do you guys know any reason about peoples start selling miner cards (290, 280x)
i seen lots of deals in fs thread, i was planning to buy 2 or more
so highend maxwell out soon? or asic miner? or difficulty?
thanks

thanks

Maxwell? no.

Gridseed may be a possibility - the units are actually available and making it into the hands of regular miners. 350khs @ 8w is amazing - i am about to order one to play around with. If it's all that it is cracked up to be, i may be going with those.

Difficulty is a bit irrelevant with the multipools.

There are lots of bandwagon pseudominers who do not have the mental toughness necessary to maintain faith in virtual currencies. I don't make fun of them, but you are either in this mining thing or not.

thanks

Profitability has been down for the past monthish and the outlook isn't looking very rosy, so those who got in expecting $30 per card per day are finding the current earn rate to be too low for their liking. Therefore, they're trying to cash out on the hardware to gain that way instead.

Zoomhash.com

I can confirm friends getting units. Their shipping is also very reasonable.

I got mine from Zoomhash, but a couple of warnings : If you're buying the 10 or 20 packs, they are shipping from China, not LA. Also, none of the units or packages he sells come with power supplies, so you'll have to get your own.

thanks for all reply
since i don't care about electric bill
these asic miners looks little pricy

The Gridseed ASIC looks interesting but will it work with cgminer? I'm assuming so since cgminer is really designed for SHA mining and those USB ASICs already exist. A 750 Ti would be the closest comparison to the Gridseed right now.

750 Ti = 300 hash at ~65W
Gridseed = 350 hash at 8W
R9 270 = 480 hash at ~150W

Regarding recent scrypt profit, yeah it's gone way down even since Jan/Feb when 1Mh would pull in $15+ a day. It's still profitable for most but not by much.

The Gridseed ASIC looks interesting but will it work with cgminer? I'm assuming so since cgminer is really designed for SHA mining and those USB ASICs already exist. A 750 Ti would be the closest comparison to the Gridseed right now.

750 Ti = 300 hash at ~65W
Gridseed = 350 hash at 8W
R9 270 = 480 hash at ~150W

Regarding recent scrypt profit, yeah it's gone way down even since Jan/Feb when 1Mh would pull in $15+ a day. It's still profitable for most but not by much.

They actually use CPUMiner, but it will work with modded CGMiner. See here.

That being said: profitability is still incredible compared to last summer when BTC was under $100 per.

looks like there is a bunch of 1 terahash BTC miners shipping this month for $4000

is 1 terahash even useful anymore for BTC ?

let's see...

yeah they will make a whopping 0.13 BTC per day

while gridseed looks cool (and great they have a product going to to customers).... it simply doesn't make any sense to buy one here where I'm paying 5.5 cents per kWh.

The only way they could tempt me to buy would be if each unit pulled 600ish khash (power use could double for all I care) and still keep the same price they have. At that point you'd be getting 600khash per unit for ~250 dollars.

If you were paying 25 cents or something crazy per kwh then I could see these actually paying off somewhat reasonably.

I still could never figure out -- if I had a company that made ASICs like this -- soon as one rolls off the assembly line - it would go into a 4 or 8 week "testing" cycle of mining on my behalf, basically to pay for itself in terms of manufacture and R&D. *THEN* i'd sell it for big bucks.

Be sure you actually are paying 5.5 cents

My listed rate is 5 cents

after fees, taxes, "fuel surcharge" and other nonsense, when I divide the final power bill dollar cost by KWH used, it is actually 15 cents per kwh

but yes, gridseed is a bad idea, it is a 1st generation scypt miner and they will only get faster and cheaper - these will never pay for themselves with difficulty constantly increasing and they will never do sha3, etc.

Paying $.32 per KW/hr here.

Have a six-card GTX 750 Ti rig going at 1750 KH/s drawing 450W at the wall.

It takes $3.46 of power per day to run this rig. Generally, it eats about half the rig's revenue in today's altcoin environment.

So, yah, gridseed units would make sense to me on a purely power expense basis. But there are currently other factors (people seem to be having trouble with them, etc.).

--H

For those that care, RUBY is being pumped.

Was 540 Satoshis, now at about 2000.

EDIT: Well, that didn't last long.

Last edited:
I also heard those gridseed chips require a lot of babysitting. Like...up for a couple hours, crash, then have to hard boot, wait 10 min for it to power up, then start hashing again.

I generally tend to stay away from any first gen electronics, and these scrypt asics pretty much reinforce my standing. They'll get better, no doubt, but right now with the price and stability issues, it just doesn't make sense unless you just want something to tinker with.

I also heard those gridseed chips require a lot of babysitting. Like...up for a couple hours, crash, then have to hard boot, wait 10 min for it to power up, then start hashing again.

I generally tend to stay away from any first gen electronics, and these scrypt asics pretty much reinforce my standing. They'll get better, no doubt, but right now with the price and stability issues, it just doesn't make sense unless you just want something to tinker with.

They work better without using the controller, that thing is a pain in the arse start to finish. Just using a modded version of cgminer is a lot more stable.

Here is a dumb question but if you are mining yourself with cudaminer how do you get paid? I assume you put your "wallet" information into your .bat file.
I've watched a few youtube vids but I still don't really get it, least not yet.

It's probably better to just join a pool like coinhuntr I've seen mentioned here, add your hash power to the group and pay 1%.

Here is a dumb question but if you are mining yourself with cudaminer how do you get paid? I assume you put your "wallet" information into your .bat file.
I've watched a few youtube vids but I still don't really get it, least not yet.

It's probably better to just join a pool like coinhuntr I've seen mentioned here, add your hash power to the group and pay 1%.

Whether you use cudaminer (for nvidia) or cgminer/sgminer/kalroth (for amd), you will put your username and password along with the pool information (or local address if solo mining). If in a pool, on the website, you would link your wallet.

For those that care, RUBY is being pumped.

Was 540 Satoshis, now at about 2000.

EDIT: Well, that didn't last long.

I was able to get in on that while it was still at 5 diff, but I couldn't get it to the exchange in time... I've got a thousand or so on a sell order 1500 sats crossing my fingers. Hopefully somebody will clear out the orders overnight, but back to ScryptGuild in the meantime.

Dang what happened to doge?

Writing has been on the wall for weeks. Doge got stale. Also, the creators ignored the issue with mulit-pools being able to predict when to mine the most profitable blocks until everything had already gone south.

Writing has been on the wall for weeks. Doge got stale. Also, the creators ignored the issue with mulit-pools being able to predict when to mine the most profitable blocks until everything had already gone south.

I was wondering, my scryptguild value actually went backwards last night, lol

Somehow I have a feeling that the random block thing isn't the reason why DOGE is still declining. I do, however, feel that it is because it's getting stagnant. There's too many people mining it, not enough uses for it.

But besides that, there is no easy fix for the random block issue other than to remove the randomness and make every block worth a standard number of coins, though, again, I don't believe that's the source of the issue with DOGE's value. That's like having a car with an engine problem and thinking that changing the tires will fix it.

Looks like I may have to bite the bullet and get out of DOGE for the time being... buy back in when it hits the basement.

Somehow I have a feeling that the random block thing isn't the reason why DOGE is still declining. I do, however, feel that it is because it's getting stagnant. There's too many people mining it, not enough uses for it.

But besides that, there is no easy fix for the random block issue other than to remove the randomness and make every block worth a standard number of coins, though, again, I don't believe that's the source of the issue with DOGE's value. That's like having a car with an engine problem and thinking that changing the tires will fix it.

Looks like I may have to bite the bullet and get out of DOGE for the time being... buy back in when it hits the basement.

Yeah, there are rumors circulating about ANOTHER hard fork to remove the random block reward (which, lets be honest, was fucking retarded to begin with) and also a 10 min diff retarget. I dumped all my doge at a loss at 147.

I think it would take quite a bit for me to sell at a loss as mine was all mined. Even the stuff I bought with LTC (when I sold LTC because it was stagnant) I bought with LTC that I mined. I can get most of my LTC investment back if I traded it now... that might be a better idea than holding DOGE. Though I still think it will be quite a wait for LTC to go up as well. May as well just hold the BTC... that may be the best of the options.

Of course, I'm at work now and can't actually sell anything at the moment because it's all sitting in my wallet on my computer at home. So, I guess I'll have to get used to the thought of selling DOGE at a price possibly a little lower than it is right now.

Or I could just continue to gamble and hold the whole thing.

Last edited:
Back