The Altcoin Thread

Is there any site where you can look at present difficulty of different coins side-by-side?
Coinwarz and CoinMarketCap don't seem to offer what I am looking for.

Coinwarz shows the (just about) up-to-date difficulty of all the coins in the second column. That's not what you're looking for?

:confused:

(I say "just about" because I noticed that their site is often cached and sometimes a handful of blocks behind on various coins)

Coinwarz shows the (just about) up-to-date difficulty of all the coins in the second column. That's not what you're looking for?

The info is there but I have not determined how to sort the rows by difficulty. I think it auto sorts the rows by Profit Ratio and you can't change it. Or if you can I am too dumb to figure it out :eek:.

hmmm is there a benefit to using multiple workers vs one at a pool?

People say technically no other than the ability to monitor each worker separately.

I disagree on the technical aspect after watching something interesting happen over the last couple days...

I have two workers, two rigs. One has a lower hashrate than the other. On a pool with VARDIFF, each worker gets assigned different difficulties. When the overall network difficulty drops to something ridiculously low (like sub 0.xxxx difficulty), the worker with the 1MH/s rate can't keep up because it isn't optimized for scan time and expire time, so it ends up with a lot of rejects because it has a high VARDIFF. Meanwhile, the rig with the much lower hashrate happily chugs along never missing a beat and not getting any rejects along the way because of the much lower worker difficulty assigned to it.

When the overall difficulty of the coin perks back up to normal levels, usually above 1.5, the other worker goes back to being completely happy and doesn't end up with any more rejected shares.

So from a technical side, I prefer the "more workers is better" idea especially if you end up working on coins with lower difficulties.

People say technically no other than the ability to monitor each worker separately.

I disagree on the technical aspect after watching something interesting happen over the last couple days...

I have two workers, two rigs. One has a lower hashrate than the other. On a pool with VARDIFF, each worker gets assigned different difficulties. When the overall network difficulty drops to something ridiculously low (like sub 0.xxxx difficulty), the worker with the 1MH/s rate can't keep up because it isn't optimized for scan time and expire time, so it ends up with a lot of rejects because it has a high VARDIFF. Meanwhile, the rig with the much lower hashrate happily chugs along never missing a beat and not getting any rejects along the way because of the much lower worker difficulty assigned to it.

When the overall difficulty of the coin perks back up to normal levels, usually above 1.5, the other worker goes back to being completely happy and doesn't end up with any more rejected shares.

So from a technical side, I prefer the "more workers is better" idea especially if you end up working on coins with lower difficulties.
ohh I see

thanks!

Hey guys. I didn't want to start a new thread, but a friend sold me two 6870's for 100 dollars. I think I am going to put them to work on some alt coins. Kinda a newbie though, anyone know of any up to date guides on setting them up? Appreciate the help as always though.

Hey guys. I didn't want to start a new thread, but a friend sold me two 6870's for 100 dollars. I think I am going to put them to work on some alt coins. Kinda a newbie though, anyone know of any up to date guides on setting them up? Appreciate the help as always though.

I originally went off this thread https://litecointalk.org/index.php?topic=7722.0

Ignore the wemineltc part with the workers and stuff unless you want to mine Litecoin there. I mean, still read through it, just don't register for the site.

Use this for the settings in cgminer https://litecoin.info/Mining_hardware_comparison

If you are lazy you can use GUIminer, it's pretty good but you will get the best results with cgminer. I suggest 3.5.0 as I got the best results with that (tried 3.1.1 and 3.7.2)

I'll tell ya the really easy way;

1. download guiminer scrypt, not regular guiminer.
2. download multibit
3. in guiminer use the default settings for that card(it lets you pick your card from a dropdown menu) turn off autostart if its on.
4. open another instance of guiminer do the same thing but select the other card
5. in the host spot type either useast.middlecoin.com or useast.wafflepool.com , you can uswest instead for those if you are on the west side. Also feel free to pick your own pool or particular coin these are the ones I use and I've made damn good money on both.
6. in port put 3333, again maybe different for different pools, make your password simply the letter x.
7. put your bitcoin address as your username, you can find that in multibit.

Run this shit 24/7, watch the money roll in.

Now you can use cgminer by itself but its harder to set up. You can tweak a lot more with it and try to get the maximum hash rate, but from looking at the hardware comparisons on wikipedia and talking to other people on here I'm getting a damn good rate from guiminer.

Currently using a 7750, a 6400k apu, and a 280x. Running 3 different instances of guiminer and banking around $6-7 a day worth of bitcoin (also my roommate plays red alert on it from time to time), and here in ohio using my killawatt and an electric calculator only using around $20 a month in electric, but ours is admittedly cheap here. Hope this helps, and watch your temps on the cards.

Last edited:
Lol!

http://blockrewards.com/?coin=DOGE

They changed the clock... it reads the correct countdown now.

No they didn't, at least for me it is showing the NEXT halving 30 days from now.

There are 942 blocks left as of 6am EST

So strangely enough it will be 9:42pm EST tonight.

Seems to be losing time so the final 4 hour difficulty might go up very high.

Difficulty was at a whopping new record high of 1902 a few hours ago.

I haven't read the 43 pages of postings here, but figured if anyone had not seen this yet, it may be of interest to some. Certainly not going to get rich from it, but free is free.

http://www.qoinpro.com/

Signing up is free. Simply sign-up today and we will credit your account with 0.00000250 Bitcoins , 0.00007671 Litecoins and 0.00604838 FeatherCoins. Furthermore, we will add more coins to your account every single day.

I haven't read the 43 pages of postings here, but figured if anyone had not seen this yet, it may be of interest to some. Certainly not going to get rich from it, but free is free.

Signing up is free. Simply sign-up today and we will credit your account with 0.00000250 Bitcoins , 0.00007671 Litecoins and 0.00604838 FeatherCoins. Furthermore, we will add more coins to your account every single day.

0.00000250 BTC - is something like 1/10th of a cent, even if they gave you that much every day, that's something like 35 cents a YEAR... there had to be a catch, even if there wasn't my time is way way wayyyyyy more valuable.

If people are going to do ponzi schemes like that, might as well be transparent about it http://ponzi.io/index2.html

So i have a problem with my friends rig, he has 2x gigabyte 270x and 2 msi 270x all with riser cards. The problem is i can only get two cards to show. These are things i have tried.
-updated bios
-tried both AMD drivers
-installed AMD 2.9 SDK
-tried BAMT and same thing.

since BAMT still only showed two i am beginning to think its a motherboard problem.

So i have a problem with my friends rig, he has 2x gigabyte 270x and 2 msi 270x all with riser cards. The problem is i can only get two cards to show. These are things i have tried.
-updated bios
-tried both AMD drivers
-installed AMD 2.9 SDK

since BAMT still only showed two i am beginning to think its a motherboard problem.

Do all four cards show up in the device manager or is it just in the mining programs?
What mining programs are you using?

-updated bios
-tried both AMD drivers
-installed AMD 2.9 SDK

Ribbon risers or USB? I know sometimes if you use the 1X to 16X ribbon style riser then the cards won't be recognized. If that's the case you need to use a jumper wire to short some pins in the slot to sense if a video card is installed or not.
http://blog.zorinaq.com/images/pcie-short-schematic.png

the 1x to 16x are powered ribbon risers. Its weird thought because i can unplug them all and leave one in thats 1x to 16x and it sees it fine. I might try swapping the cards and risers around to see if that helps.

I will try that a well,thanks!

I didn't try the short trick, but I had an eMachines that wouldn't detect video cards on the 1x where as my MSI custom build did. So, not all motherboards are created equal. I have also seen where if a card is inserted into one slot, the motherboard will disable Video card detection in another slot. You may have to disable that in the BIOS. (That is if they give you the choice)

-updated bios
-tried both AMD drivers
-installed AMD 2.9 SDK

What kind of power supply? I had a similar issue and it turned out my 750w wasn't powerful enough to get more than 2 cards to show up.

I didn't try the short trick, but I had an eMachines that wouldn't detect video cards on the 1x where as my MSI custom build did. So, not all motherboards are created equal. I have also seen where if a card is inserted into one slot, the motherboard will disable Video card detection in another slot. You may have to disable that in the BIOS. (That is if they give you the choice)
The motherboard is a ASUS f2a85-v pro,it says it can handle 3 way cfx which is why im confused.

What kind of power supply? I had a similar issue and it turned out my 750w wasn't powerful enough to get more than 2 cards to show up.

He got a corsair 1050w gold rated. i told him just to get the higher wattage ones,but hes cheap and wanted to save money.

He got a corsair 1050w gold rated. i told him just to get the higher wattage ones,but hes cheap and wanted to save money.

Hmm yeah that should be enough. Does the PSU have enough actual PCIe power outputs, or is he using the molex adapters? That's the other issue I had, the molex adapters never worked for me. Whatever card was plugged in using those just didn't show up, I had to use actual PCIe leads straight from the PSU.

mtgox needs ddos'd over and over till they just shut down. I think the price of bitcoin would be far more stable and would be looked at more seriously as a currency if it would just go the fuck away.

This market is about to get capitulated. I'll be waiting at the bottom with my order. Til the next bubble! (hopefully i can somehow amass ~100 BTC before it happens again)

No they didn't, at least for me it is showing the NEXT halving 30 days from now.

There are 942 blocks left as of 6am EST

So strangely enough it will be 9:42pm EST tonight.

Seems to be losing time so the final 4 hour difficulty might go up very high.

Difficulty was at a whopping new record high of 1902 a few hours ago.

That's funny, the correct time was there as of the time I posted last night. If it was reading 30 days for you when you posted this morning, it's reading 27 days right now... LOL. Man, how time flies.

I think everyone is still expecting a DOGE push when the actual block reward split happens... it may still happen, or it may not. But it sounds like a whole bunch of miners are jumping on for the last few days/hours/minutes just to try to get a few extra coins thinking that maybe it might go up again.

If it doesn't go up again, I'm very tempted to just hold until the next block reward halving in a couple months. It's not that long to wait. Or at least wait until the next pump & dump cycle to offload a few. Was hoping for at least 300 Satoshis.

Hmm yeah that should be enough. Does the PSU have enough actual PCIe power outputs, or is he using the molex adapters? That's the other issue I had, the molex adapters never worked for me. Whatever card was plugged in using those just didn't show up, I had to use actual PCIe leads straight from the PSU.

He acutally has molex on one,and that one gets like a 1/4 of the hash rate it should be getting, I told him this was an issue but he doubted me. It looks like his psu only has enough slots for 3 gpus

Try the Molex connectors on one of the cards that is showing up and plug in the pcie connectors that are working into a card that's not showing up.

I just spent the majority of today getting a 4th card on my main rig. After I connected everything, mobo wouldn't come on. Tore the whole thing apart, put a new mobo in, it booted. Tore it all back down then original mobo back and it came on. Then Windows saw the 4th card but wouldn't detect one of the other ones. Uninstalled all the display adapters in device manager and a couple reboots later they all showed up.

Windows can be picky when adding new cards, but I have a feeling your issue is those Molex connectors.

Max got pumped 500% today. I made ~0.4 extra BTC on some coins I was still holding. I think I'll just mine this coin for a while. With pump and dump activity like this, it could be far more profitable to mine it over anything else. I know it had one of the shittiest launches in all of crypto history, but I don't care. If it gives me more BTC in the end, I will mine it. So now I am mining MAX with NOBL as the backup.

Also, my final motherboard + 750W PSU gets delivered today. I'll finally be at 100% mining potential, which I have not been at for a while because of RMAs, and ordering too many GPUs. It's going to feel good! Then once I re-arrange my setup (will throw 5-6x on my single 1300W G2, and put the now RMA'd X850 in my computer), I should be able to open up a slot or two for possible future GPUs, should I buy moar! But I'm really done for a bit for now though. The mining room has been a complete mess for the past month, and I just need to get it all into nice racked and easy to maintain setup. Just waiting on those USB risers now... which could take another 1-2 weeks. :(

I feel you. I'm down two 280x at the moment, because I'm out of watts hah. Most of my PSU are running at damn near 100% rated duty cycle if not past. Blargh.

Max got pumped 500% today. I made ~0.4 extra BTC on some coins I was still holding. I think I'll just mine this coin for a while. With pump and dump activity like this, it could be far more profitable to mine it over anything else. I know it had one of the shittiest launches in all of crypto history, but I don't care. If it gives me more BTC in the end, I will mine it. So now I am mining MAX with NOBL as the backup.

Also, my final motherboard + 750W PSU gets delivered today. I'll finally be at 100% mining potential, which I have not been at for a while because of RMAs, and ordering too many GPUs. It's going to feel good! Then once I re-arrange my setup (will throw 5-6x on my single 1300W G2, and put the now RMA'd X850 in my computer), I should be able to open up a slot or two for possible future GPUs, should I buy moar! But I'm really done for a bit for now though. The mining room has been a complete mess for the past month, and I just need to get it all into nice racked and easy to maintain setup. Just waiting on those USB risers now... which could take another 1-2 weeks. :(

I know I'm going to regret this :)
but what setup guide did you use for MAX?
After effing with the different miner of Vertcoin for hours and immediately realizing I was too small to get anywhere with it, I've shied away from the effort to compile a one-coin-only miner.
But I can't resist the challenge if I can get a tip where to start.

I feel you. I'm down two 280x at the moment, because I'm out of watts hah. Most of my PSU are running at damn near 100% rated duty cycle if not past. Blargh.

That's a bummer. My electricity prices aren't the best - $0.13 max tier right now, and $0.165 over the summer months, but at least that is the highest it goes with no cap. And I know my PSUs are near their limit too. I'm running 4x7870s on a 660W, and 4x R9 270x on a 750W. Every once in a while Newegg has some good deal on a SeaSonic gold rated PSU (and even Platinum now - the 660W I have is Plat), and I've just been buying those slowly over the months building rigs around those. They really do run well and get the job done.

I know I'm going to regret this :)
but what setup guide did you use for MAX?
After effing with the different miner of Vertcoin for hours and immediately realizing I was too small to get anywhere with it, I've shied away from the effort to compile a one-coin-only miner.
But I can't resist the challenge if I can get a tip where to start.

MAX is easy to setup. Download cgminer 3.7.2, then download an updated cgminer made for SHA-3 keccak from max.1gh.com. Overwrite the files in your current cgminer directory with the ones download for keccak. From there it's almost exactly the same a scrypt batch file, except "--keccak" instead of "--scrypt". Intensity doesn't do anything, and there's no core/mem tweaking, so just crank the core as high as you feel to get the most performance out of it. I personally mine on smalltimeminer as my main pool, without dwarfpool as my first fail over, and 1gh as my second failover.

That's a bummer. My electricity prices aren't the best - $0.13 max tier right now, and $0.165 over the summer months, but at least that is the highest it goes with no cap. And I know my PSUs are near their limit too. I'm running 4x7870s on a 660W, and 4x R9 270x on a 750W. Every once in a while Newegg has some good deal on a SeaSonic gold rated PSU (and even Platinum now - the 660W I have is Plat), and I've just been buying those slowly over the months building rigs around those. They really do run well and get the job done.

MAX is easy to setup. Download cgminer 3.7.2, then download an updated cgminer made for SHA-3 keccak from max.1gh.com. Overwrite the files in your current cgminer directory with the ones download for keccak. From there it's almost exactly the same a scrypt batch file, except "--keccak" instead of "--scrypt". Intensity doesn't do anything, and there's no core/mem tweaking, so just crank the core as high as you feel to get the most performance out of it. I personally mine on smalltimeminer as my main pool, without dwarfpool as my first fail over, and 1gh as my second failover.

your running 4x 270 on a 750 undervolted?

I might try 5x on a 1000w g2 then since I have 5 I ordered last week arriving tomorrow.

........MAX is easy to setup. Download cgminer 3.7.2, then download an updated cgminer made for SHA-3 keccak from max.1gh.com......
And there's my first issue...I'm running Linux exclusively so I have to build the updated keccak for my install.
I suppose you are running Win....

I just setup for MAX... gonna run it for a few days to see what I get.

I am liking it so far just for the reduced temps over scrypt.

your running 4x 270 on a 750 undervolted?

I might try 5x on a 1000w g2 then since I have 5 I ordered last week arriving tomorrow.

No. My 270s are not undervolted. They are ASUS R9 270x and the voltage seems locked (they run 1.11-1.15v under load). I'll need to search or make a custom bios to undervolt them, but for now they have been mining keccak at 1150mhz for days without issues. You could definitely run 5, and maybe even 6 (if you undervolt) on the 1000W PSU. I have 4x 7870s on the 660W PSU, but though those are unvolted a little bit. They're running ~0.95v load. But, if I could run 4x on a 660W PSU, I'd say you could even do 6 on the 1000W.

The PSUs are barely warm to the touch too. I think as long as you keep them well ventilated, you'd be surprised at what you can get out of them.

Core32 yes I am using Windows on all of my miners. Good old never to be registered versions of Windows 7. :p

Well, here's hoping it triggers a bit of a bump to 300 or something (ya, I know... wishful thinking). Otherwise I'm holding my DOGE until the next split.

Sitting on 4.5M... trying to get the most I can from it.

EDIT: Of course, even if I do sell it for a good price, now the BTC it gets traded into is going to be worth shit unless I hold that too.

Last edited:
Back