The Altcoin Thread

You would get half and the people who never mined a single coin, never took the risk, never paid for the electricity, never bought the expensive GPUs and never took the time to know or understand anything about setting up the system and software would get the other half.

So yeah, it's just like being self-employed. ;)

That's the American dream right?

hmmm if someone is successful at undervolting at around .98-1.050 they should share the brand/and bios

i couldn't really undervolt my powercolors
haven't tried any others yet

Nice temperatures, how did you get to 0.968v? On VBE I only see 1.0 or 0.975 when I load my bios. Using a Sapphire 270 BTW.

On vbe7 it's just a text box, so I put in 968 and hit save. May depend on the type of VRM on the card as well.

hmmm if someone is successful at undervolting at around .98-1.050 they should share the brand/and bios

i couldn't really undervolt my powercolors
haven't tried any others yet

The lowest I got my powercolors 7950 were 1.056
any lower and they crash

It's .... FRIDAY!

Looks like some big holders needed some profit taking. Or there's some news I didn't read up on yet.

It's .... FRIDAY!

Looks like some big holders needed some profit taking. Or there's some news I didn't read up on yet.

only actual news I came across was app store related so it should bounce back just fine unless there's actual news. Apple people tend to be the dumbest though so perhaps they're scared

It's .... FRIDAY!

Liquidity issues at MtGox. Nothing that hasn't been an issue for the past forever and a day.

Ok... triggered more than a few sell orders I see... sucks for them.

yup -- big tank in the BTC market.... who cares. It might drop some more, but it will rise again, always does.

Just holding.... my whopping 41LTC and 1BTC. So as you can tell I'm a whale of a player *lol*

Tried playing with VertCoin last night -- after I realized the "half hash" rate was indeed normal.... was mining on one of the bigger pools, and noticed that even though the avg time to solve a block is something like 2.5 minutes, these guys were getting a block every 45 minutes to an hour. The fact I was only putting in 2.1Mhash into a pool of something like 4000Mhash (my actual has rate in any other altcoin is actually 4.3Mhash, why vertcoin halves it, no idea)

Either way -- theoretical max coins I could have pulled in a day at those rates was 13VTC - i only saw 0.30 coins after an hour of mining. So I stopped -- something very fishy going on with either that pool, or the entire VertCoin network/client.... sticking with tried and true DOGE/LTC.

WDC is turning out to be a huge disappointment - they were supposed to do something BIG in feb, but turns out they have had nothing but problems (along with MtGox) minded 1.1K WDC that's slowly turning to worthless shit. I know the instant I sell the price will rebound and I'll be screwed (same thing that happened to my 1 million plus DOGE I sold off before it blew up)

I've been mining COINo for the last day. I've been meaning to set up a pool for it for a while, but never got around to it. It's one of those that was flying quietly under the radar for me though along with KDC and CASH. Unfortunately I only have so many rigs/miners and not enough time.

Why it mtgox so important though - I don't get it.

There are now half a dozen other exchanges without liquidity problems.

WTF JUST HAPPENED???? Everything just tanked!! Bitcoin lost $200 in almost a day!

http://bitcoinwisdom.com/markets/mtgox/btcusd

They've announced that they are holding all BTC withdrawals until at least Monday. Therefore, panic selling.

Last I checked, they were still tops with regards to total volume. Over time, I'm sure they'll be replaced by stronger exchanges as their inability to cash out to USD probably hurts them quite a bit.

When bitcoin first started out, they were THE benchmark for fiat exchanges. Then when crap started hitting the fan and they began to scam out and started falling under the scrutiny of the US government, they retreated away from the US market but were still extremely popular overseas. People seemed to ignore all of their issues though, but I'm not sure why. It's not like they offered anything other than higher prices. My guess is they were Ponzi scheming to keep those prices propped up, and now they're paying for it.

Gox sold a ton of coins back when they were near $1k last time and now they have to cover so they're driving the prices down. This is nothing but a scam by the gox leadership.

And to think MTGOX used to be a magic the gathering trading card exchange for just one year before they moved to bitcoin. Pretty weird transition.

And to think MTGOX used to be a magic the gathering trading card exchange for just one year before they moved to bitcoin. Pretty weird transition.
so if you held the kind of cash they do at what point do you just say yeah I'll go buy a country and be untouchable?

GOX lost my business when I was unable to cash out directly via Dwolla -- that worked great for me for quite a long time.

Granted I was small time -- still am.

The fact their prices have always been inflated, just weird, what's the point of any of that, sure I can move my BTC to GOX but then it's trapped there at an inflated price doing nothing.

Last I checked, they were still tops with regards to total volume. Over time, I'm sure they'll be replaced by stronger exchanges as their inability to cash out to USD probably hurts them quite a bit.

Gox is not the largest BTC exchange and has not been for some time.
http://bitcoincharts.com/charts/volumepie/

Bitstamp handles 66% more volume than Gox. BTCe also handles more volume than Gox.
Frankly, I don't understand why people even use Gox or talk about it anymore.

After they go bankrupt and have to shut down their Bitcoin exchange, next they will move to selling Barbie dolls and accessories.

Any CPU miners [H]ere? Quark's latest drop has made it so I can only just break even.

Are there any good resources for CPU coins? something where I could filter by quark's alg would be nice instead of just sha256/scrypt.

I'm actually trying out some XPM mining, although I am a bit confused about it. It seems you just download the client(or in my case I downloaded the High Performance one) and just mine with the wallet. I assume I have to wait for it to sync before it actually mines.

Only doing this on the side though with my 3770k @ 4.5ghz.

Gox is not the largest BTC exchange and has not been for some time.
http://bitcoincharts.com/charts/volumepie/

Bitstamp handles 66% more volume than Gox. BTCe also handles more volume than Gox.
Frankly, I don't understand why people even use Gox or talk about it anymore.

It has been a while since I last checked ;-).

After they go bankrupt and have to shut down their Bitcoin exchange, next they will move to selling Barbie dolls and accessories.

I'd be fine with it going back to Magic Cards. If they can bring back USD withdrawal, I've got a bunch of rare Beta/Unlimited/Revised cards that I could unload.

Any CPU miners [H]ere? Quark's latest drop has made it so I can only just break even.

Are there any good resources for CPU coins? something where I could filter by quark's alg would be nice instead of just sha256/scrypt.

I've been mining PTS for the past few days on my "Folding Rig 1" box in my sig. Earnings have been about .4 PTS per day and 1 PTS is going for 0.015 BTC on Cryptsy right now. Not a great return, but it is at least paying for power. I think there's been some cudaminers developed for it though, so that will likely make the CPU aspect of it irrelevant soon.

For the cpu coins, do you just solo mine or do you go on a pool?

For the cpu coins, do you just solo mine or do you go on a pool?

you can do either, though I've been solo mining since I do not like pools and I have enough mining power that I'm not waiting days in between blocks.

you can do either, though I've been solo mining since I do not like pools and I have enough mining power that I'm not waiting days in between blocks.

I only have a single 3770k @ 4.5ghz, so not sure how well I'm gonna do, but I'll mine Primecoin for a little bit once the wallet finally catches up. It's probably not gonna be worth it, but it's fun to try something new :p

So no doubt, the exchanges are the crappiest part of this whole mining experience.
I've not been able to get the OpenID to work on CoinedUp for 4 days, so no login, and they have sent one silly response to my emails saying "Are you still having the problem?"
And now Cryptsy has gotten so slow crediting anything I send there that I can plan no price/trade strategy that means a damn thing. Price peaks come along and I still have nothing on my balance sheet.
And I thought getting the cards tuned and running stable was hard....

WDC is turning out to be a huge disappointment - they were supposed to do something BIG in feb, but turns out they have had nothing but problems (along with MtGox) minded 1.1K WDC that's slowly turning to worthless shit. I know the instant I sell the price will rebound and I'll be screwed (same thing that happened to my 1 million plus DOGE I sold off before it blew up)

I think that was scheduled for Feb 20th, so still some time there. If we hit March and nothing happens with it, I'm bailing. But I'll give it the benefit of the doubt for now...

Well, with Cryptsy you kind of have to have your coins stored there if you really want to get in on the peaks. Or, you can just keep some BTC in there when the time comes for a pump. It does work if you just want to sell at whatever price though, and coinbase has made getting $ for BTC much easier.

I think that was scheduled for Feb 20th, so still some time there. If we hit March and nothing happens with it, I'm bailing. But I'll give it the benefit of the doubt for now...

Only problem with WDC is that it seems Sharmbeck is having some problems and not being upfront about them. Something about regulations.

Good god, the USB riser folks are approaching $30/each. At that price I might as well learn to make my own.

Good god, the USB riser folks are approaching $30/each. At that price I might as well learn to make my own.

You can get them from China for around $17 if you're willing to wait ~1 month for shipping. I'm tempted to order a bunch.

So it looks like Primecoin recently(maybe not so recently?) had a difficulty change that decreased the rates by a lot. "meh".

Here's something you don't see everyday, 101% efficiency on WU

It is still at 99%, this wasn't a fluke, not sure what is going on. Hope I am getting "paid" for those shares.

http://i.imgur.com/oXv6s0m.png

See why raw khash/sec doesn't matter? It's all about the WU

Well, I started building my mining rig last night. I received my 2 other 280x's this afternoon as well as my riser cards, so I should be pretty much good to go to start mining this weekend. I'm replacing the sweet motherboard mount with something a little more pleasant looking, but otherwise the setup is pretty much complete.

The room that the system is in is at my dad's business in a spare office (which is only used for physical file storage) and it's not heated and currently about 50*F. I will have a fan blowing across the cards from the front to keep air moving, but I think it should stay pretty cool especially because of how cold it is outside (-2*F now). There's a window mount AC unit in the office for summer.

I'm going to move the video card shelf down a couple of rungs.

20140206_204035_zpsf81f20fa.jpg

Back