The Altcoin Thread

Is your memory Elpida or Hynix? My 290 gets 880 at the worst. My 290's with Hynix memory get 970 hash. A 290X should do better than either of those.

Elpida...

I know it should do better but I haven't had the time to tune it. I will eventually get it up there.. I just installed it last night.

Well I'm jumping in head first to this whole mining thing and bought 4 280x's and associated parts this weekend (2 750W Corsair CXs, 32GB SanDisk SSD, A6-5400K, Gigabyte GA-F2A88X-D3H). Hopefully everything arrives this week so I can put everything together this weekend. I'm mostly doing this for a hobby, if money comes of it that's cool, too. ;)

I'm going to run it open air ala http://imgur.com/a/IISox#OeXLhKn

Well I'm jumping in head first to this whole mining thing and bought 4 280x's and associated parts this weekend (2 750W Corsair CXs, 32GB SanDisk SSD, A6-5400K, Gigabyte GA-F2A88X-D3H). Hopefully everything arrives this week so I can put everything together this weekend. I'm mostly doing this for a hobby, if money comes of it that's cool, too. ;)

I'm going to run it open air ala http://imgur.com/a/IISox#OeXLhKn

That is a clean system, my plastic crate looks like shit compared but it works.

Ah that reminds me, remember my idea to use shoe racks instead of plastic crates?

Check this one out http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004BDP656/
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81vknv8eDmL.jpg

Imaging it upside down so the fixed top shelf would hold the motherboard on the ground.

Then take out the middle rails so it is an open frame and sit the cards on that or hang them from it.

Hopefully the middle shelf can be moved up/down and is not fixed in place and can be nailed afterwards.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
At stock speeds the 290's get about 830-850. Not sure where you are getting this 970 hash rate. O/Ced yes, but many 290 cards can't hit 1500 memory. Anytime I O/C card, I always loose hash rates thus I keep them @ stock.

At stock speeds the 290's get about 830-850. Not sure where you are getting this 970 hash rate. O/Ced yes, but many 290 cards can't hit 1500 memory. Anytime I O/C card, I always loose hash rates thus I keep them @ stock.

Eh, I've owned 8 R9 280 reference and they ALL hit 880 hash except for one that has Hynix memory and does 970. I've owned 6 Sapphire Tri-x 290's that each have Hynix memory and four of them hit 970 hash, and the other two hit a little less because they can't get to 1110 core.

clevermining looks pretty good. I have been switching back and forth between mining WDC directly on sharmbecks and general mining on Hashco.ws

People in Saint Louis can now buy donuts with dogecoin.

If pizza places start doing this, I will be in serious (weight) trouble.

Psst... hot tip...

Cryptsy will be adding CASHcoin to the exchange in the next batch of updates!

Point your rigs to cash.poolminewith.us and let's get some coins ready to go before it happens!

Last edited:
I just ordered 4x ASUS R9 270x for $182 ea off Newegg (Open Box, DC2 tops). But, these better actually be "open box" and not refurbs. If they are refurbs then they are going back. With open box I should get 80% warranty time on these since they are still somewhat recent releases.

If the GPUs stay I'm going to have build something custom for all of this now... I might actually have start selling off some cards I do not want. I'm really trying to setup identical GPU rigs now (or close to it) because I hate dealing with mixed GPU rigs.

http://www.clevermining.com/start

Anyone tested this pool yet?

Edit: tossing 3mh/s at it, see how it goes.

I'd like to see how this compares to both Middlecoin and Wafflepool... Wafflepool still has the lowest fees at a flat 1%, but I'm wondering how the various algorithms compare for profitability.
I was about to try Wafflepool, but decided I'd stick to my DOGE target for now... now I see this posting about Clevermining and am curious about which one's the best.

wtf it keeps stopping and starting for me after about 10 mins....

Wafflepool?
Been mining it for about 20 hours now and have not experienced that. But then again I was not monitoring it constantly all day.
The profit looks "ok" for the first 24 so I will let it run for another 24 to see if it holds up.

Edit: Doh! I see you meant CleverMining...well the info is still good :)

wtf it keeps stopping and starting for me after about 10 mins, would stick with middlecoin but I have seen one payout for a buck then nothing over the course of a week.

clevermining keeps hitting my failover as well. I think I'll put waffle into the rotation

I went ahead and pointed all but 1 system at waffle for the night to see how they do. These massive rejects from middlecoin and the 1024 diff just aren't OK with me.

I went ahead and pointed all but 1 system at waffle for the night to see how they do. These massive rejects from middlecoin and the 1024 diff just aren't OK with me.

Looking forward to hearing what your results are like!

just switched to waffle myself so far it seems to be going great without any disconnects unlike clever, would highly suggest everyone stay away from clever pool till they get their shit straight.

just switched to waffle myself so far it seems to be going great without any disconnects unlike clever, would highly suggest everyone stay away from clever pool till they get their shit straight.

Thanks for the advice!

I would also like to hear your experiences with wafflepool.

Woohoo! Thanks guys! The cashcoin pool is hoppin' tonight! (Gee, I wonder why.)

Personally, I just love to see shit I put together get used. That puts a smile on my face. Makes it worth doing.

Is no-one mining on trademybit? I was thinking it was among one of the more profitable ways to go but I don't see it mentioned much in this thread.

Waiting very impatiently for my cards to show up so I can join the fun.

Mining doge until it block halves then going to check wafflepool. Also have high reject rate on middlecoin and waiting for the magical bios for 290.

I'd like to see how this compares to both Middlecoin and Wafflepool... Wafflepool still has the lowest fees at a flat 1%, but I'm wondering how the various algorithms compare for profitability.
I was about to try Wafflepool, but decided I'd stick to my DOGE target for now... now I see this posting about Clevermining and am curious about which one's the best.

Just started giving wafflepool a try, so far so good. Was getting way too many rejects on middlecoin recently.

Who's mining VertCoin? I guess that's "the next big thing", and I guess it looks like it now that it hit Cryptsy.

I tried it late yesterday.
What a pain to get started.
Can't use the standard cgminer and you'll have to completely re-tune your cards.
Hash rates are a little worse than half normal rates.
The pool I was on had flaky numbers all over the place, estimating I would make over $400 a day. :)
WRONG!

my first waffle payment came a little while ago. I used the same BTC address with them just because I didn't feel like changing the config files but I probably should. http://wafflepool.com/miner/1NTvuMNmo99UhnBcBoU1GYd9vLEFeyefUi

I plugged in with them last night before bed.

Anybody know how frequent the waffle payments are? seems strange to have one so soon

sunnyd's cash pool is bitching at me for having too much sitting in it but I just don't have anywhere for it to go LOL I guess I could probably install a wallet on my desktop but I've had great luck sending straight to cryptsy in the past so i might just wait for them to pick it up.

I tried it late yesterday.
What a pain to get started.
Can't use the standard cgminer and you'll have to completely re-tune your cards.
Hash rates are a little worse than half normal rates.
The pool I was on had flaky numbers all over the place, estimating I would make over $400 a day. :)
WRONG!

Using cgwatcher you could easily switch that specific coin profile to a different cgminer but the settings changes mean I'll pass

sunnyd's cash pool is bitching at me for having too much sitting in it but I just don't have anywhere for it to go LOL I guess I could probably install a wallet on my desktop but I've had great luck sending straight to cryptsy in the past so i might just wait for them to pick it up.

You can ignore the warning from the pool... it's just a warning.

But fwiw, I sent a CASH TX **yesterday** (about 18 hours ago) to Cryptsy. It STILL is not even showing as PENDING on my account balance sheet as of this morning. Fair warning.

edit: fml. Strike that - I JUST logged in and there it is, sitting there in my Cryptsy balance. Asshats.

Cryptsy has been slow for me lately.
And, I have to manually refresh the balance page several times for it to show the correct numbers.
Often it will show coins I traded away hours ago or not show coins that have been showing for hours before.
Probably overwhelmed with users.
They may just have too many different coin types on there to be stable.

Next pool going up will indeed be for VertCoin. Hoping to have it running by lunchtime for everybody.

I think cryptsy damn near needs a dedicated server for each wallet type at this point.

Downloading and processing the chains is insanely hard drive intensive. If they were on SSD's it would help a ton but we don't know dick about the server setup. They have a rather insane number of transactions going in and out of wallets so I'd imagine on the bigger coins they pretty much need to have a dedicated server for wallet transactions.

They have over 100 different coins supported and each one added just increases the "random access" on the drive so if they are spinner drives they're hopping all over but in their environment SSD's might not live very long.

Back