The 8GHZ Project U.S.A.

V2V3

n00b
We here in Team NexGen are at NexGen Consulting trying to break the world record right now, with (hopefully) a bit of help from koolance, and some LN2 or LHe4. We have a P5B deluxe, 631 cedarmill (ES), and 2 X 512MB Micron D9GKX Memory modules. So far we have hit 5.5ghz no problem but beyond 1.4v Vcore Air, water, and even our Prometeia Capped out under the heat load generated by the P4 631. But 4ghz at 1v was pretty cool. The use of Liquid Nitrogen is our best bet at breaking the 8000.1MHZ world record and bringing the title back to the good ole U.S.A.

If you have experience with LN2 Cooling please feel free to advise us on any thing you see fit.

DSC02930.jpg

6 Port Thermocouple thermometer courtesy of Borders Sheet metal and Heating.
DSC02901.jpg

Home Made Dewar Flask, Air Insulated against Conduction and Convection with a layer of Heat shielding to deflect radiant heat.
DSC02887.jpg

First LN2 test with the P4 631
DSC02859.jpg

Pouring the LN2 into the hand flask
DSC02780.jpg

Three of five IHS removals for this project.
DSC02745.jpg

Bios shot of initial LN2 temps at boot
DSC02650.jpg

Liquid Nitrogen Block before insulation
DSC02536.jpg

Water cooling test setup
DSC02521.jpg

E6400 Overclocking on Water.
DSC02499.jpg

lapping of the IHS on our P4 631
DSC02488.jpg

Air cooling test setup

Our experience with ES chips leads me to believe that the IHS mounting process isn't perfected until around the production of the Retail chip. If your lucky the thermal resistance on your ES should not be as bad as ours. As this is the worst case we have come across to date.
with a stock frequency of 3GHZ and the Vcore at 1.6v The Koolance CPU 305 Block temp was 24C and the IHS was 27C but the Die temp was still 76-82C! the removal of the IHS should solve the temperature differential.
We saw very similar readings with the Koolance CPU 300, Intel Boxed cooler, and the Zalman 9500Cu.

I'm currently in the process of removing Dielectric grease from motherboard and will test the Voltage Temperature curve once again with Air, Water, Chilled water, Phase, and LN2 will be last.

We are looking at having a 2" diameter cylinder of copper milled to our specifications for Direct Die cooling.
Most of what has been built was to get the LN2 on the chip and see what was going to happen at -196C
we had two 12" copper tubes some couplings and a few P4 boxed coolers laying around so we put them to good use. The copper cylinder in the P4 Boxed cooler just happens to be the right sice for direct Die cooling with a LGA775 socket.

At 1.7vcore With the IHS and LN2 we saw -75c on the back of the board
More surface area in the LN2 block is definitely needed.
For NON OC testing it worked rather well considering it cost us absolutely no $$$$ to make thanks to Intel!

Things have been rather slow, and we wish to assure you we will not give up!

we have been working on finding a few new Procs to test (only got my college fund to help me with this :p)
Revising our LN2 container and building a few phase cooling systems :D

here is a look at the quad core ready phase sys i have been working on.
she will pull down to -50C on a QX6700 @ 4.2GHZ and -22C Full load 1.65Vcore

you can check out the work log for our Phase unit over here: http://www.teamnexgen.org/forum/hardware-discussion/234-prometeia-twice-7-mod.html

DSC03144.jpg

DSC03142.jpg

I think the guys that hit the uber speeds have really limited mobos. No graphics cards. Think they mod their bios to cut down on anything outside exactly what they need (FSB and access to a minimalist linux distro w/ cpuZ on it, something like that). Looks like you have a full motherboard and windows there.

8GHz Project on Digg.com and Overclocking Wiki

Overclocking Wiki is Digging our 8GHz project, with a little support it could front page :)

Written by dekard
Thursday, 14 June 2007

Ok, so this is pretty old news by now but I wanted to post about it since I think its quite the project. The guys at Team NexGen are working on overclocking a system to 8Ghz using Liquid Nitrogen cooling and a very specially modified board.

Here's one of the LN2 coolers they may use. For the rest of the photos you'll have to head to their site . There is a small mountain of photos there with most every detail you'd want.

Digg it here

Back