The $600 quantum computer

erek

[H]F Junkie
Pretty cool looking prototype for people walking around Silicon Valley campuses trying to get free Wi-Fi off of Microsoft, google, or apple, etc.

"Active Cypher's completely random cyphertext cannot be deciphered using even large quantum computers since the only solution to cracking the key is to try every possible combination of the key, which will produce every known possible output of the text, without knowledge of which version might be the correct one. "In other words, you'll find a greater chance of finding a specific grain of sand in a desert than cracking this open," says Gleason.

Active Cypher showcased QUBY in early February at Ready -- an internal Microsoft conference held in Seattle. The prototype will also be presented at RSA in San Francisco later this month."

1581956833014.png

https://betanews.com/2020/02/17/quantum-computing-encryption-cracking/

I love that the article pairs this picture with the claim that "QUBY was downsized so that it fits in a backpack and is therefore untraceable."

Dude, it's a frigging Ghostbusters Proton Pack. It's the exact opposite of inconspicuous. You don't trace it, you follow the guy wearing it around, and then apply the XKCD about getting someone's private keys with a $5 wrench.

I love that the article pairs this picture with the claim that "QUBY was downsized so that it fits in a backpack and is therefore untraceable."

Dude, it's a frigging Ghostbusters Proton Pack. It's the exact opposite of inconspicuous. You don't trace it, you follow the guy wearing it around, and then apply the XKCD about getting someone's private keys with a $5 wrench.

does the backpack look suspicious if you're trolling around the Big Tech campuses?

It's been a few years since I read snowcrash last but that is how I always pictured the data brokers...

Reactions: erek
like this

I mean, cover up those lights and wires, and it could just look like any other homeless guy walking around Silicon Valley

Modelled after the SADM, a man-portable nuclear weapon deployed in the 1960s, QUBY was downsized so that it fits in a backpack and is therefore untraceable.

For special occasions when Ronco's Pocket Fisherman alone might not be intimidating enough.
Not saying you should ever dive into battle without one...

Last edited:
Back