The $49 Android PC

HardOCP News

[H] News
You guys really have to check out this $49 Android powered PC that runs an 800MHz VIA processor, has 512MB of DDR3, 2GB NAND Flash, HDMI, 10/100 Ethernet, Android 2.3 and is only slightly larger than a smartphone. It looks like the company is going to start taking pre-orders soon with a ship date sometime in July.

I love the standard banana for scale. :)

Sucks that it is shipping Gingerbread.

512MB RAM?

Hell, my mom's phone has 1GB. Its not like RAM is expensive these days...

CPU, RAM and no ICS is sorta a turn off. But then again $50. I know people who can work wonders with systems like this and I can picture this being perfect for a lobby PC or something you set out for guests.

Some of my friends are already on back order for the Raspberry PI, that might jump for this.

I was reading a HuffPo article about Google's acquisition of Motorola Mobility. Mentioned in the article was Google's interest in bringing Android to the television via Motorola's cable box (a part of Motorola Mobility division). This VIA board might be an interesting alternate to Android TV home theater computer for those who don't want cable television.

Definately needs a better cpu. Look at the cpu power of phones these days.

Definately needs a better cpu. Look at the cpu power of phones these days.

Look at how much those phones cost off contract....if they offered something similar, this would not be a $50 board.

GB needs more CPU power. I run ICS on my 1gHz EVO4G just fine.

I think I'd rather have a Raspberry Pi - assuming they can actually get a decent supply going...

Look at how much those phones cost off contract....if they offered something similar, this would not be a $50 board.

GB needs more CPU power. I run ICS on my 1gHz EVO4G just fine.

If you want an idea of what an Android phone would cost without all the phone and contract pricing business, look up the Samsung Galaxy Player (there are a few versions, ranging from 3.2" up to 5" screen).

I think I'd rather have a Raspberry Pi - assuming they can actually get a decent supply going...

This. The Ras Pi is the size of a credit card and has the capability of doing 1080p video and it's $25-$35. If they can get the supply going I am not sure why you would want this over the Ras Pi.

If you want an idea of what an Android phone would cost without all the phone and contract pricing business, look up the Samsung Galaxy Player (there are a few versions, ranging from 3.2" up to 5" screen).

And for a bit more than $200 you can get a far more powerful "real" computer. One that you can actually do work on and not just tinker with.

For "toys", as the price ascends the number of people willing to buy plummets...especially with something that has limited practical usage for most of the population to start with. I can already plug my phone into a TV via HDMI and use it-why would I want a more limited device?

$50 is about the sweet spot I'd wager.

I don't really get excited seeing "Ultra low power" as a selling point.

You mean.. it's slow.. right? Right?!?

For "toys", as the price ascends the number of people willing to buy plummets...especially with something that has limited practical usage for most of the population to start with. I can already plug my phone into a TV via HDMI and use it-why would I want a more limited device?

These devices aren't for joe six pack. These are for hobbyists who want to put them in impracticable places.

For example you could put this in a car. Just replace the stereo with this, and put a LCD somewhere. LCDs are freaking cheap right now. With the right amount of tinkering you could have a carputer that can act as your media center, hook up with smart phones, and even monitor the OBDII system in your car.

Another idea I would use these for is like say if I have an old broken retro game console. Rather then trash it I could stick one of these in there. Wire up some controllers and install some emulators and you've got an amazing retro experience.

Maybe you need a disposable computer for something? Maybe you want a HTPC for every room, but you don't want a huge box taking up space? Stick one of these in a tiny box and have a network hard drive filled with media on it. Ubuntu with XBMC would make a really amazing setup.

These are not for people who want to hook up their phones to a TV.

[T5K]thrasher;1038755318 said:
Is it x86 or ARM? Would be pretty sweet to tinker with if the first.

Yeah shame its not x86. An 800mhz x86 cpu would be very fast on android.

This. The Ras Pi is the size of a credit card and has the capability of doing 1080p video and it's $25-$35. If they can get the supply going I am not sure why you would want this over the Ras Pi.

Because holding a bare circuit board with a few amp of current even at 5 or 12V might not make for a good user experience.

I could think of a couple uses.

Libraries, for those that can't afford "normal" computers.
Doctor office waiting rooms for those that would like to surf the internet while waiting to see Dr.
Auto repair shop waiting rooms. Same reason as doctor offices.

Hell as long as you have the imagination to use them, they could do good. I'm wanting one, but I want Ice Cream Sandwich.

As long as it can upload the virus to the mothership, and blow it up......it will work.

I have at work computer with VIA C3 1GHz CPU and it is so far the slowest and worst computer I ever used. It is so slow and sluggish that nothing beats it in this case. So I'm not sure how this 800 MHz will be working with youtube videos and so on.

Was just thinking about how we needed a ready-made Android device. Just for the apps alone, I can think of a few applications.

I have at work computer with VIA C3 1GHz CPU and it is so far the slowest and worst computer I ever used. It is so slow and sluggish that nothing beats it in this case. So I'm not sure how this 800 MHz will be working with youtube videos and so on.

VIA's x86 CPUs like the C3, which is a dinosaur by modern standards, are not directly comparable to their more modern ARM processors.

http://liliputing.com/2012/05/74-pc-on-a-stick-features-allwinner-a10-cpu-android-4-0.html

It's a little more expensive, but it comes with case, wireless and is twice as fast. One of these small, cheap, low power computers hooked up to an external hard drive would make an excellent home server, given the proper software.

The only trouble I have with the USB stick device is the lack of I/O. Sure, a USB hub can be had for not much money, but it effectively increases the size of the device if someone needs more than the two ports (one being a mini) provided. Then there's the secondary problem of getting a cable to convert HDMI to VGA. They're not huge hurdles, but something worth thinking about in the case of the PC on a stick.

Eventually these lightweights are going to displace every larger sections of the x86 marketshare.

I mean ARM's in Cellphones dusted AMD/Intel a long time ago. These lightweights are going to pick up as they become more powerful. Could be not that long before you're desktop is just a docking station for your tablet or smartphone.

Android and iOS are too primitive, though, to replace a laptop/desktop for a lot of people. Not sure they can evolve fast enough. I believe Microsoft is making play for that market with Windows 8.

But Linux is a better contender, especially when the key is low cost. Adding in a cost of a windows license may work on a contract. Not sure it will work on a standalone lightweight.

Meant to add that making these lightweight systems into desktop/laptop replacements is really Linux' best shot for breaking through to the mainstream.

Android and iOS are too primitive, though, to replace a laptop/desktop for a lot of people. Not sure they can evolve fast enough. I believe Microsoft is making play for that market with Windows 8.

But Linux is a better contender, especially when the key is low cost. Adding in a cost of a windows license may work on a contract. Not sure it will work on a standalone lightweight.

About 99.99% of people who use these devices are probably going to install Ubuntu.

Back