The $49 Android PC

Eventually these lightweights are going to displace every larger sections of the x86 marketshare.

I mean ARM's in Cellphones dusted AMD/Intel a long time ago. These lightweights are going to pick up as they become more powerful. Could be not that long before you're desktop is just a docking station for your tablet or smartphone.

Android and iOS are too primitive, though, to replace a laptop/desktop for a lot of people. Not sure they can evolve fast enough. I believe Microsoft is making play for that market with Windows 8.

But Linux is a better contender, especially when the key is low cost. Adding in a cost of a windows license may work on a contract. Not sure it will work on a standalone lightweight.

You're probably right about the displacement of what we currently consider a conventional PC. It boils down to cost in most cases. A PC, as we know it, costs significantly more and, thanks to the advancement of lightweight applications for these platforms, doesn't do a lot of things that can't be done on much less expensive hardware like one of these things.

I'd love to see the phone become the dockable brains for my computing needs. While the current crop of operating systems are indeed lacking some capabilities, most of what's not there are things that people like us might miss, but the rest of society could care less about.

We need more stuff like this to become mainstream so there's greater market competition to drive costs down even further.

1080p streaming?

The specs look like a mini-itx board I used to have 9 YEARS ago. 800mhz, 1gb ram.... oh wait that had more ram.

Hardly fair comparison considering iOS is better optimized than Android, which is designed for a slew of devices. But yes, iPhone 4s has 512mb and it's still a beast of a phone.

Here's a read about the subject: http://gizmodo.com/5848683/why-iphone-4s-only-has-512-megabytes-of-ram

Gotta love how people justify Apple products. Better optimized OS means you can have half as much ram. We don't even know if it is. We can see the source code for Android, but we have no idea what's going on with iOS.

Gotta love how people justify Apple products. Better optimized OS means you can have half as much ram. We don't even know if it is. We can see the source code for Android, but we have no idea what's going on with iOS.

There is no justification. As a computer savvy user, you would or should agree with me that Android is over-engineered to support hundreds of configurations and scenarios, whilst iOS is not.

Perhaps I should counter with "you gotta love how people go out of the way to bash Apple when there's no call for it".

There is no justification. As a computer savvy user, you would or should agree with me that Android is over-engineered to support hundreds of configurations and scenarios, whilst iOS is not.

this is the same reason consoles like ps3 and 360 can have years old gpus but still produce comparable graphics.

this is the same reason consoles like ps3 and 360 can have years old gpus but still produce comparable graphics.

Actually, that's because game developer types are targeting consoles first because of the larger amount of money console games generate. They port them over to the PC as an afterthought so, even though a computer could do magically amazing things by comparison, hardly anyone is actually putting forth the effort since they feel there isn't as much profit to be had in spending the time, effort, and energy.

Correct, consoles can survive on smaller configuration because the underlying OS is leaner than the "bloat" that is Windows - in comparison only. It's like the old days where we run DOS Shell or boot into progman to speed up games without the background bloat.

If only it has ICS... Would be a great little computer for my Moms TV.. since she hates sitting at the computer desk and won't buy a Laptop.

The console argument is valid bacause of targeted hardware, a game dev only has to design around one configuration of hardware, that extends the life of tech by YEARS. That's how a 7900 GSO (PS3) is still viable after all these years

Not really. The reason that years old consoles can do comparable graphics is because developers can code to metal. You know the 360 won't change, but iPhones do change, so you can't do to metal. Especially if you add in the iPad and iPod.

Back