The 32 inch 4k IPS 144hz's...(Update - this party is started) (wait for it...)

I sell or return them. It is pretty hard to find a monitor that fits your personal expectations and needs. That is also the reason why I never force someone to buy one particular monitor. It is always a good idea to try out different monitors and pick the one that fits YOU the best. :)

kramnelis

Sorry, but that is just not practical. Why should I have two or three desks and 5-7 monitors in one room? No normal person does that and it would only fill up space in my room.

Do you really want to start arguing now and insult me because I prefer to use an OLED?

I am always in the Top 100 in Quick Match with my squad and we do not have problems to reach Diamond rank in Ranked.
I play on a pretty beefy system and do not care about 1080p. The 30 and 40 series of cards from NVIDIA are easily capable of driving 1440p with high refresh rates on esports titles. Why should I accept 1080p? The backlight strobing? I could not care less. That is a personal preference thing. Many people do not like backlight strobing and the benefits can only be felt in very special occasions.

And if you find 240Hz OLED “not that fast”, you should maybe get your eyes checked. It has sample and hold blur just like every display on the market, but that is to be expected. OLED with backlight strobing would completely destroy your beloved TN panel and eat it for lunch.

BUT GROUNDREAPER, THE BRIGHTNESS AND COLORS OF LCD ARE SO IMPORTANT AND OLED CAN‘T DELIVER IT WITH THEIR ABL AND LOW BRIGHTNESS.
WHO GIVES A SHIT ABOUT THAT IN ESPORTS GAMES??? 😂😂
Why it's not practical unless your room is too small? You have only two monitors. You care about image quality then you will get the best HDR monitors. You care about motion performance then you will get the fastest monitors.

I know in the very beginning that you are a console level user who doesn't understand the importance of peak performance like XL2566K while boasting about console rank and imagining OLED can get brighter enough to have strobe with 1000Hz motion equivalent. All the champion rank on PC are all on 1080P, strobe or not. Nobody uses that 240Hz OLED.

this review is super detailed, he seemed to like it

Yes, it was posted 2-3 weeks ago. One of the most underrated channels on YT, perhaps because he insists on making every review an hour long. Us monitor nerds of course likes it, but perhaps not average joe :)

Last edited:
Well, that isn't bad. That means it will be around $1,799 in the US most likely. I was afraid it would be $3,000 like the UQX was at launch. My PG27UQ is on its way out and I've been getting anxious to replace it. Seems like there are no more 27" 4K monitors around anymore, and the 32" ones are all plagued with various issues. Hopefully ASUS' firmware is better than Acer's.

Well, that isn't bad. That means it will be around $1,799 in the US most likely. I was afraid it would be $3,000 like the UQX was at launch. My PG27UQ is on its way out and I've been getting anxious to replace it. Seems like there are no more 27" 4K monitors around anymore, and the 32" ones are all plagued with various issues. Hopefully ASUS' firmware is better than Acer's.

InnoCN 27M2V. Reviewed by RTings here: https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/innocn/27m2v#test_1381

I have the 32 inch version and love this thing. The 27 inch is even better since it can do 160Hz and has faster response times. Excellent all around monitor for $700 when it's on sale.

1689271390160.png
1689271407218.png

Does InnoCN manufacture their own panels or have some kind of exclusive deal or why are they the only ones that can offer monitors with as many dimming zones? As I understand it, all these monitors we discuss here has been on the market for at least a few months by now.

Does InnoCN manufacture their own panels or have some kind of exclusive deal or why are they the only ones that can offer monitors with as many dimming zones? As I understand it, all these monitors we discuss here has been on the market for at least a few months by now.

They don't. AUO is still the one making the panels and there are other Chinese companies that use this same panel such as RedMagic and KTC.

Here's the RedMagic: https://na.redmagic.gg/pages/redmagic-4k-gaming-monitor

Not sure where to buy KTC as I didn't look it up yet. I also don't think either company has a 32" version available, only InnoCN does.

512-zone without G-sync is not an upgrade to PG27UQ unless you want to go for the size.

Just wait for another 2 years until all these brands realize that nothing can replace the Nvidia G-sync FPGA to properly drive the backlight with 2000+ zones. Then they will release miniLED monitors with G-sync again.

Before that happens there will be a lot trial and error such as pushing out a 9162-zone monitor but with the backlight equivalent to a 2000-zone in motion. Or you can try some 27" 4K 144Hz SDR OLED next year with extremely limited range.

InnoCN 27M2V. Reviewed by RTings here: https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/innocn/27m2v#test_1381

I have the 32 inch version and love this thing. The 27 inch is even better since it can do 160Hz and has faster response times. Excellent all around monitor for $700 when it's on sale.

View attachment 583091View attachment 583092
When I was looking around at this monitor, I read about all kinds of issues with the firmware. I'd rather not deal with that, even if there are workarounds. That just means I need to fiddle with it every time I want to use it. That response time also doesn't look too good for 160 Hz. It's half that on the PG27UQ when comparing 120 Hz on both displays.
512-zone without G-sync is not an upgrade to PG27UQ unless you want to go for the size.

Just wait for another 2 years until all these brands realize that nothing can replace the Nvidia G-sync FPGA to properly drive the backlight with 2000+ zones. Then they will release miniLED monitors with G-sync again.

Before that happens there will be a lot trial and error such as pushing out a 9162-zone monitor but with the backlight equivalent to a 2000-zone in motion. Or you can try some 27" 4K 144Hz SDR OLED next year with extremely limited range.
When I say the PG27UQ is on its way out, I mean there are dark spots appearing on the panel. The one on the bottom-left has gotten really bad. It looks like a streak that is half an inch wide and four inches tall. It didn't bother me at first, but it has gotten progressively bigger over the past few months.

When I say the PG27UQ is on its way out, I mean there are dark spots appearing on the panel. The one on the bottom-left has gotten really bad. It looks like a streak that is half an inch wide and four inches tall. It didn't bother me at first, but it has gotten progressively bigger over the past few months.
Check the temperature from the vent on the bottom. It's usually at 55C. Anything lower means inefficient cooling. Excessive heat accumulated inside can cause quenching of the QD layer. The backlight can go faulty too.

When I was looking around at this monitor, I read about all kinds of issues with the firmware. I'd rather not deal with that, even if there are workarounds. That just means I need to fiddle with it every time I want to use it. That response time also doesn't look too good for 160 Hz. It's half that on the PG27UQ when comparing 120 Hz on both displays.

Oh it's definitely not perfect for sure. But if your PG27UQ dies then I would say there is no better alternative. Unless you want to spend way more money to buy another 27UQ.

Check the temperature from the vent on the bottom. It's usually at 55C. Anything lower means inefficient cooling. Excessive heat accumulated inside can cause quenching of the QD layer. The backlight can go faulty too.
Quenching damage is permanent, as far as I'm aware. There is no way to to undo the agglomeration of the quantum dots.
Oh it's definitely not perfect for sure. But if your PG27UQ dies then I would say there is no better alternative. Unless you want to spend way more money to buy another 27UQ.
Considering they don't make the PG27UQ anymore, that isn't an option. I'm not going to buy I used one considering the issues I'm now having. I'm just going to wait.

Quenching damage is permanent, as far as I'm aware. There is no way to to undo the agglomeration of the quantum dots.
Check that temperature first. You can still replace the fans to improve the cooling to avoid further damage. It can also be just dust accumulated between the backlight and the panel, then a wipe will do the job.

I am not even confident we will have much better monitors in two years. It feels like the monitor world for 32" is a ghost town.

I'm willing to try the pg32uqxr. I have a gsync monitor now and the "gsync compatible" monitors seem just as good for what it's worth. I don't usually play games below 60 frames though, so maybe it doesn't affect me anyway.

I am not even confident we will have much better monitors in two years. It feels like the monitor world for 32" is a ghost town.

I'm willing to try the pg32uqxr. I have a gsync monitor now and the "gsync compatible" monitors seem just as good for what it's worth. I don't usually play games below 60 frames though, so maybe it doesn't affect me anyway.

It is a ghost town which is why I decided to just settle for the cheapest FALD 32" there is which is the InnoCN 32M2V. I'll upgrade from it once we get something with at least twice the number of dimming zones and 240Hz.

It is a ghost town which is why I decided to just settle for the cheapest FALD 32" there is which is the InnoCN 32M2V. I'll upgrade from it once we get something with at least twice the number of dimming zones and 240Hz.
A bit curios to what exactly makes it a ghost town, ie what is actually the reason for it. For many years I've gotten the feeling that there is a huge gap in the gaming monitor market for what people actually say they want. My guess is that it probably a matter of price, while we in here are willing to pay for what we want (and can), I guess we are only a small part of the market.

A bit curios to what exactly makes it a ghost town, ie what is actually the reason for it. For many years I've gotten the feeling that there is a huge gap in the gaming monitor market for what people actually say they want. My guess is that it probably a matter of price, while we in here are willing to pay for what we want (and can), I guess we are only a small part of the market.

If you just look at it in a vacuum then I suppose it wouldn't seem that way. It's really when you start comparing it to how the 27" monitors have improved over time vs 32" that things start to look more bleak. Look at how long it took just to get options of 4K 144Hz 32" monitors vs 27" and the 27" always ends up being the better panel when you compare the equivalent model numbers like say the InnoCN 272MV vs 32M2V or the Gigabyte M27U vs M32U. The 32" monitor is definitely improving, just at a much slower rate than 27" I would say. Which makes sense because the 32" crowd is a much smaller one than 27" so it's not going to get as much love from maufacturers.

Curios if anyone has compared the Cooler Master GP27U with the Acer X27 which has kind of similar specs and is the same form factor and size? I understand that the GP27U is probably better in most regards, but how much better, would it be a noticeable difference putting them side by side and if so how and where? Compared the X27 with the X32FP a few months back and remember that I was not as impressed that I had imagined to be and that in may regards, I still preferred the X27 as it was brighter and appeared sharper, especially with text (to some extent probably because of it's smaller size should be said). Considering that the X27 must be at least 4-5 years old by now, I really hope that the GP27U is noticeable better in almost everything but...

It's not like they cannot make 32" panels. They are waiting for FPGA, which they cannot make, to drive the backlight.

I'm having this strange issue with 32m2v

Seems like partial backlight flicker? or a glitching "automatic brightness adjust" that should be set to off. What I've tried:
* 6 different cables: HDMI, DP - really expensive one, included one, cheap one
* BIOS update
* GPU driver update

Thoughts:
* the problem is not related to VRR/Gsync compatible stuff - all are off
* happens with HDR on and off, with local dimming on and off
* Tried various resolutions, various settings, various refresh rates, same result

Am I missing something? or can it be a defective unit?

Last edited:

I have had the 27M2U for almost a month and its awesome. Way better than the PG27UQ. Got it from Amazon for $699 and its my go to for work productivity and FPS now...contemplating selling G8 4k240 lol

Curios if anyone has compared the Cooler Master GP27U with the Acer X27 which has kind of similar specs and is the same form factor and size? I understand that the GP27U is probably better in most regards, but how much better, would it be a noticeable difference putting them side by side and if so how and where? Compared the X27 with the X32FP a few months back and remember that I was not as impressed that I had imagined to be and that in may regards, I still preferred the X27 as it was brighter and appeared sharper, especially with text (to some extent probably because of it's smaller size should be said). Considering that the X27 must be at least 4-5 years old by now, I really hope that the GP27U is noticeable better in almost everything but...

The GP27U was a really great monitor. It also gets reaaallly bright with firmware 1.2 and can maintain over 1000 nits easily with 100% white. The drawback is haloing on very bright objects when a dark scene is covering the bright object. You cannot escape that with MiniLED, but it does a decent job in my opinion. The PG32UQX in my opinion is better in terms of the local dimming algorithm and has got less black crush thanks to the GSYNC module.

Additionally, the GP27U has got some slight flickering when local dimming + VRR is activated on certain scenes. For me personally, it was tolerable because I could not notice it that often.

The response time across the refresh rate range was fantastic. No visible overshoot and ghosting, which was impressive for only 160Hz and IPS. Not as fast as OLED, but very fast for IPS and 160Hz. The input lag with HDR and local dimming disabled was also really low and allowed me to play games like R6 Siege without any problems.
Combine this with HDMI 2.1, USB-C with 90 Watts and a really good color gamut coverage and you get a great monitor for a great price.

The only reason why I switched to the PG32UQX was the size. The GP27U was one of the best 4K monitors that I have ever owned. 💪

The GP27U was a really great monitor. It also gets reaaallly bright with firmware 1.2 and can maintain over 1000 nits easily with 100% white. The drawback is haloing on very bright objects when a dark scene is covering the bright object. You cannot escape that with MiniLED, but it does a decent job in my opinion. The PG32UQX in my opinion is better in terms of the local dimming algorithm and has got less black crush thanks to the GSYNC module.

Additionally, the GP27U has got some slight flickering when local dimming + VRR is activated on certain scenes. For me personally, it was tolerable because I could not notice it that often.

The response time across the refresh rate range was fantastic. No visible overshoot and ghosting, which was impressive for only 160Hz and IPS. Not as fast as OLED, but very fast for IPS and 160Hz. The input lag with HDR and local dimming disabled was also really low and allowed me to play games like R6 Siege without any problems.
Combine this with HDMI 2.1, USB-C with 90 Watts and a really good color gamut coverage and you get a great monitor for a great price.

The only reason why I switched to the PG32UQX was the size. The GP27U was one of the best 4K monitors that I have ever owned. 💪
Thanks for a nice mini review of the GP27U. Why would you want to do HDR with local dimming disabled, that seems like recipe for disaster? :) Or did you mean SDR? On that note, how much are you forced to contantly go into menus changing things between productivity, gaming, SDR, HDR etc? That is one this i really like on OLEDs, it's is kind of set and forget and no need for constant fiddling with settings.

Do we have a credible resource on the GSync module actually affecting stuff like black crush etc? The PG32UQX has the double amount of zones (at three times the price) if I remember correctly, so that alone should mean better control of haloing/blooming.

Thanks for a nice mini review of the GP27U. Why would you want to do HDR with local dimming disabled, that seems like recipe for disaster? :) Or did you mean SDR? On that note, how much are you forced to contantly go into menus changing things between productivity, gaming, SDR, HDR etc? That is one this i really like on OLEDs, it's is kind of set and forget and no need for constant fiddling with settings.

Do we have a credible resource on the GSync module actually affecting stuff like black crush etc? The PG32UQX has the double amount of zones (at three times the price) if I remember correctly, so that alone should mean better control of haloing/blooming.

I used no local dimming in SDR for multiplayer shooters. :)

The GP27U saves the local dimming setting independently for SDR and HDR. HDR can be activated from Windows unlike the X32 before the recent firmware update. I also used the default color settings for SDR and HDR. They looked both very good. Only thing I changed was the brightness to 100% in SDR.

I also had a NEO G8 with 1196 zones and a VA panel, but that thing had horrible halos in Windows and could only deliver a mediocre HDR brightness. Especially reddit and discord with dark mode looked atrocious. Every single element was haloing very bright. Scrolling made it even worse on reddit. And do not get me started on the scanlines at 240Hz. 🤢🤮
The only good thing was the superb motion performance.

I cannot say it for sure, but the NEO G8, GP27U and the X32FP had all some sort of black crush in SDR and HDR with local dimming on. The ASUS PG32UQX, LG CX, ASUS PG27AQDM and AW3423DWF could present dark scenes with much more detail. Like the details on a wall in a very dark room. The other monitors just showed a very solid black wall with almost no details.
I was very surprised when the PG32UQX presented so many details in a dark scene with minimal blooming because I thought that it is going to be like the other MiniLED monitors. Especially after the NEO G8 with its very high native contrast failed to impress me in dark scenes and crushed almost everything in a dark room. The only thing to avoid on the PG32UQX (just like the other MiniLED monitors) is a white crosshair in a dark environment. Other than that, the algorithm does a really fine job on my unit. :)

I used no local dimming in SDR for multiplayer shooters. :)

The GP27U saves the local dimming setting independently for SDR and HDR. HDR can be activated from Windows unlike the X32 before the recent firmware update. I also used the default color settings for SDR and HDR. They looked both very good. Only thing I changed was the brightness to 100% in SDR.

I also had a NEO G8 with 1196 zones and a VA panel, but that thing had horrible halos in Windows and could only deliver a mediocre HDR brightness. Especially reddit and discord with dark mode looked atrocious. Every single element was haloing very bright. Scrolling made it even worse on reddit. And do not get me started on the scanlines at 240Hz. 🤢🤮
The only good thing was the superb motion performance.

I cannot say it for sure, but the NEO G8, GP27U and the X32FP had all some sort of black crush in SDR and HDR with local dimming on. The ASUS PG32UQX, LG CX, ASUS PG27AQDM and AW3423DWF could present dark scenes with much more detail. Like the details on a wall in a very dark room. The other monitors just showed a very solid black wall with almost no details.
I was very surprised when the PG32UQX presented so many details in a dark scene with minimal blooming because I thought that it is going to be like the other MiniLED monitors. Especially after the NEO G8 with its very high native contrast failed to impress me in dark scenes and crushed almost everything in a dark room. The only thing to avoid on the PG32UQX (just like the other MiniLED monitors) is a white crosshair in a dark environment. Other than that, the algorithm does a really fine job on my unit. :)

Why run the desktop in HDR with local dimming? Use SDR without local dimming (or auto local dimming on the G8) for the desktop, and you won't get haloing.

I prefer the Neo G8 to the PG32UQX overall. There's much less haloing on the G8 (very noticeable on a starfield, fireworks, and around logos), the panel contrast is much better, and the motion clarity is in a completely different league. As a bonus - no fan on the G8. The PG32UQX does have some advantages: it's brighter, and I believe it has better color accuracy (at least on mine). Also, no scanlines on the PG32UQX, although I can't say I notice them much on my G8. Text looks a bit better to me on the G8, maybe thanks to the better contrast.

I own the G8 and PG32UQX. G8 wins in motion clarity by a large margin but that's it. FALD behavior is dumb and the main reason it produces less visible bloom is because its so dim (400nit vs 1400nit highlights).

Otherwise the PG32UQX slaughters it when it comes to HDR. Its just no contest especially if you put them side by side where the PG32UQX makes the G8 look like trash (super dim, washed out colors, etc). Also the G8 has a bunch of fundamental issues like its atrocious vertical viewing angles and the fact that AutoHDR isn't possible since its HDR on desktop is still busted to this day resulting in a washed out appearance. Lastly, most won't and don't notice but the G8's inverse ghosting is visible and annoying to me. Its really really subtle at first but once you spot it and realize its there, its just as bad if not worse as the PG32UQX's smeary black -> white transitions. Best way I can describe it like cranking sharpness too high on a display except only in motion.

Really just depends what you prioritize and for me the trade off in pixel response and refresh rate is worth better everything else by a landslide (uniformity, FALD performance, brightness, color volume, no scan lines, working AutoHDR, no VRR flicker, cleaner anti glare coating, no scan lines, etc).

Last edited:
Really just depends what you prioritize and for me the trade off in pixel response and refresh rate is worth better everything else by a landslide (uniformity, FALD performance, brightness, color volume, no scan lines, working AutoHDR, no VRR flicker, cleaner anti glare coating, no scan lines, etc).
For me it comes down to price. The PG32UQX is still 3500 euros in my country. That kind of money buys a lot of other stuff - multiple monitors for specific purposes, a TV + monitor, another computer...

The pricing for monitors is just wack.

My Samsung G70A cost me 399 euros on sale. It's a 28" 4K, 144 Hz IPS with pretty decent pixel response times, HDMI 2.1 etc. Absolutely terrible at HDR.
Neo G8 is about 1000 euros, for the same thing except it's curved mini-LED VA 240 Hz with decent HDR.
Then the PG32UQX jumps to nearly 9x the cost of the G70A for what? Way better HDR and worse pixel response times.

I have a M2 Max Macbook Pro 16" so I know what that 1000-1600 nits HDR looks like. But in 80% of my usage (desktop applications) I'm seeing none of that and the Mac doesn't really look all that different from the G70A. The premium for good HDR is just a lot.

It sucks that there are still no better options on the market. I got the G70A as an interim solution hoping to see more display options this year, but it does seem like we might have to wait for 2025 for anything truly new.

SoCali,

Strange. Maybe you have a bad Neo G8. Mine is a recent production with the 1006 firmware. Gaming on it is a significantly better experience than on my PG32UQX and XG321UG monitors. HDR isn't as bright, but it is bright-enough, and brighter than on my OLEDs. The "scanlines" are very subtle and I almost never notice them from my viewing distance. I don't see the inverse ghosting that you mentioned. The motion clarity is just orders of magnitude better. Not quite as good as on my OLEDs, but a lot closer to the OLEDs than the PG32UQX/XG321UG.

For the desktop, I also find the G8 to be better. Much better contrast, and better text quality. Sure, it's a VA, so you have to view it at the correct angle, but if you're at that spot, it's vivid and easy on the eyes. The text looks "inkier" which I really like.

I prefer the PG32UQX/XG321UG for watching most HDR videos, but for everything else, I prefer the Neo G8.

So those of you with mini led, do you disable local dimming on the desktop, so it looks the same as a regular lcd?

SoCali,

Strange. Maybe you have a bad Neo G8. Mine is a recent production with the 1006 firmware. Gaming on it is a significantly better experience than on my PG32UQX and XG321UG monitors. HDR isn't as bright, but it is bright-enough, and brighter than on my OLEDs. The "scanlines" are very subtle and I almost never notice them from my viewing distance. I don't see the inverse ghosting that you mentioned. The motion clarity is just orders of magnitude better. Not quite as good as on my OLEDs, but a lot closer to the OLEDs than the PG32UQX/XG321UG.

For the desktop, I also find the G8 to be better. Much better contrast, and better text quality. Sure, it's a VA, so you have to view it at the correct angle, but if you're at that spot, it's vivid and easy on the eyes. The text looks "inkier" which I really like.

I prefer the PG32UQX/XG321UG for watching most HDR videos, but for everything else, I prefer the Neo G8.
I went through 3 of them to land on one without defects like the huge DSE band down the center or multiple dead/stuck pixels and they all behaved identically. I was one of the first owners who posted in the dedicated G8 thread and in that thread I mentioned that to my eye it does not appear to be any brighter than the C2 I was replacing. Only recently was this confirmed when Rtings reviewed it which you can compare to the C2:

Screenshot 2023-07-16 113252.png
Screenshot 2023-07-16 113230.png

The only relevant measurement is "real scene" which is a ballpark 10% highlight measured in content since Samsung cheats on test slides. 422nits is super dim and the main reason the majority of HDR content looks so drab and dead on it. Samsung is hellbent on minimizing bloom with their odd ABL local dimming algorithm but in doing so destroy its HDR performance. 75% of the time the C2 does appear brighter to me and only falls behind in bright outdoor scenes/games. I also forgot to mention how horrifically bad it tracks EOTF. It crushes dark detail so badly that its borderline unusable to me.

This Innocn 27 that they reviewed is how HDR should perform (very little difference between 10% peak/sustained and real scene brightness):

Screenshot 2023-07-16 114129.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-16 113252.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-16 113252.png
    140 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2023-07-16 114129.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-16 114129.png
    137.7 KB · Views: 0
So those of you with mini led, do you disable local dimming on the desktop, so it looks the same as a regular lcd?

I keep it turned on but that's only because I'm not super distracted by local dimming behavior even though I do notice it.

I keep it turned on but that's only because I'm not super distracted by local dimming behavior even though I do notice it.
Agreed, for general office usage I am quite happy as long as the image is bright and crisp including text. Might be a different story if you do designwork etc but would imagine any of these monitors is a no go anyway for that.

Why run the desktop in HDR with local dimming? Use SDR without local dimming (or auto local dimming on the G8) for the desktop, and you won't get haloing.

I prefer the Neo G8 to the PG32UQX overall. There's much less haloing on the G8 (very noticeable on a starfield, fireworks, and around logos), the panel contrast is much better, and the motion clarity is in a completely different league. As a bonus - no fan on the G8. The PG32UQX does have some advantages: it's brighter, and I believe it has better color accuracy (at least on mine). Also, no scanlines on the PG32UQX, although I can't say I notice them much on my G8. Text looks a bit better to me on the G8, maybe thanks to the better contrast.

I only use local dimming in singleplayer (SDR) or HDR. On the desktop, it is most of the time off.
I was just completely disappointed by the HDR performance of the NEO G8 and the very distracting scanlines at 240Hz. The overall brightness always felt too low for me and never impressed me with bright highlights like the GP27U and PG32UQX. My AW3423DWF almost had the same felt brightness in HDR with very small highlights reaching 1000 nits and also had the benefit of the infinite contrast ratio without blooming.
In dark games like Dying Light 2 with AutoHDR or Resident Evil with HDR, the AW3423DWF destroys the MiniLED competition and is truly breathtaking with the insane contrast ratio, no blooming and bright small highlights like little lamps or candles in a dark environment. It shows, what could be possible in the future with further improvements to OLED brightness or the introduction of MicroLED for consumers.
In the meantime, I will use my PG32UQX for normal HDR games and my OLED for games with lots of dark environments and competitive shooters to get the best of both worlds. :)

i went with asus because i know they are quality, havent gotten anything from them that broke the last ten years, mobos, gfx card and monitors, all great quality

I only use local dimming in singleplayer (SDR) or HDR. On the desktop, it is most of the time off.
I was just completely disappointed by the HDR performance of the NEO G8 and the very distracting scanlines at 240Hz. The overall brightness always felt too low for me and never impressed me with bright highlights like the GP27U and PG32UQX. My AW3423DWF almost had the same felt brightness in HDR with very small highlights reaching 1000 nits and also had the benefit of the infinite contrast ratio without blooming.
In dark games like Dying Light 2 with AutoHDR or Resident Evil with HDR, the AW3423DWF destroys the MiniLED competition and is truly breathtaking with the insane contrast ratio, no blooming and bright small highlights like little lamps or candles in a dark environment. It shows, what could be possible in the future with further improvements to OLED brightness or the introduction of MicroLED for consumers.
In the meantime, I will use my PG32UQX for normal HDR games and my OLED for games with lots of dark environments and competitive shooters to get the best of both worlds. :)
The “elephant in the room” for the G8 and AW for me is that they are curved. I unequivocally prefer flat panels to curved monitors so the PG/XG will always be superior. That and for the AW it is 1440p..which to my eyes I can easily notice as I’ve been using 4K exclusively since 2018.

I went through 3 of them to land on one without defects like the huge DSE band down the center or multiple dead/stuck pixels and they all behaved identically. I was one of the first owners who posted in the dedicated G8 thread and in that thread I mentioned that to my eye it does not appear to be any brighter than the C2 I was replacing. Only recently was this confirmed when Rtings reviewed it which you can compare to the C2:

View attachment 583683View attachment 583684

The only relevant measurement is "real scene" which is a ballpark 10% highlight measured in content since Samsung cheats on test slides. 422nits is super dim and the main reason the majority of HDR content looks so drab and dead on it. Samsung is hellbent on minimizing bloom with their odd ABL local dimming algorithm but in doing so destroy its HDR performance. 75% of the time the C2 does appear brighter to me and only falls behind in bright outdoor scenes/games. I also forgot to mention how horrifically bad it tracks EOTF. It crushes dark detail so badly that its borderline unusable to me.

This Innocn 27 that they reviewed is how HDR should perform (very little difference between 10% peak/sustained and real scene brightness):

View attachment 583687
Exactly this. Aside from the screen curve on the G8, that disgusting EOTF curve immediately turned me off. If Samsung wants to reduce haloing for marketing purposes, then at least give the end user the option to disable the ABL so we can bet proper HDR performance out of it. On paper the screen should be perfect (aside from the screen curve...). I'd also love how they came to the "HDR2000" bullshit number when even in the most favorable test the screen doesn't even come close to that number.

Back