The 25 Worst Passwords On The Internet

I also see "Password1" a lot. Thanks to server 2008 and its password requirements.

password_strength.png

Yeah, I wish more sites/admins would realize that the length of the password is generally far more important than forcing you to use special characters/upper case/etc. You'd think people in charge of network security would know something about...security.

I used to have a password that included "football"... that's funny that it's up there!

I have about 5 passwords that I use everywhere. Even if I forget which I used, it's not hard to just go through the lot until I hit the right one. :p

What happened to 'Love' 'Sex' 'Secret' and 'God'?
Oh wait, that was in the 90's... :D

Yeah, I wish more sites/admins would realize that the length of the password is generally far more important than forcing you to use special characters/upper case/etc. You'd think people in charge of network security would know something about...security.

Well there is a flip side to it in a business, a disgruntled employee could lock out a sensitive system. I think what's more important than password length is password expiration and non-repeating and use on duplicate systems.

Actually if you have systems that are good enough at detecting brute force attacks like these then a short password that is hard for a PERSON to guess is more important than a long one that is hard for a COMPUTER to guess. So if you actually have GOOD security then a password like the four random words is actually WORSE than the 9 character password. I actually have a password like the 9 character password shown in the comic that is really hard for any person to guess (my family and friends would never guess it) but is actually easy for me to remember. Oh and my password hint for that system? "You are never going to guess this one." lol.

Somebodys i know mom and grandma uses dumb passsword like these and I tell them to change them every single time and they never do it because they think. "They don't know my sons name or anything" and they are hack proof.

Then I laugh at them and let them keep using the password then tell them to change it again 3 months later.

I'm a bit frightened that "correct horse battery staple" made complete sense to me, and that I gave more than a moment's pause trying to figure out how they could be unrelated words.

good lord...the brain fog I get can be intense at times :mad:

The shortest password I have is 16 characters...and that's only because that is the max characters the system accepts.

Joshua5

Password systems need to be standardized and accept phrases up to 128 or 256 characters.

Wat?

On which of my posts did you perceived as a complaint about keychain software?

lol wat? I said you were complaining about the simple task of generating a password.

1. A site you use has a weird password complexity requirement.
  2. You use software which makes addressing password generation a few simple clicks for complexity requirement situations such as this.

I'm on sites with reqs like that too. I just gen a password and go on.

Tried to login onto my friend's email using one of these 25 passwords.... Succes in 4 of 10 friends for me xD This is so dumb.

I used aardvarkasaurus for quite a while until someone figured it out. :(

What pisses me off is that no one wants to adopt a standard for passwords. Some want a letter and number, some want less than 16, some want no special characters, some want at least 1 capital, some won't allow certain special characters.

In order to comply with all these varying standards I need 10 different passwords and I end up forgetting them.

Everyone should just allow passwords of 8 and up with any use of special characters, letters, numbers, spaces, etc.

I share the same sentiment. It gets on my nerves when I can't use my password system on a site because they don't accept certain characters or whatnot.

I started using the random password generator in 1Password. Nobody has brought this up yet, but if you use the same password on as many sites as possible, if the database on one of those sites are compromised then a great deal of your personal information is compromised as well.

I haven't switched over all my old passwords, but anything dealing with finances (Amazon, banking, etc) all gets a random password. I don't know about those other options, since I've always just used 1Password, but I can access all my passwords anywhere via an HTML applet. Now I just have to remember the one password, and the one I use is relatively easy to remember and hard to brute force or guess.

Works for me.

Back