The 2015 Sony TV Thread

Sure. I'll report this to Sony as well. Hopefully later firmwares will sort the artifacts.

Yeah to be honest I really like the glossy screen. It makes the colours really stand out. My previous monitor had a matt screen and I like this one a lot better.

I used it pretty much the whole evening yesterday. Tried Shadow of Mordor, Call of Duty - Advanced Warfare and more Elder Scrolls Online. All play great.

How do you like your monitor size? Do you feel that you might want now bigger size? Seems like 49'' x9309c model only cost 70€ more than 43'' x8305c. How far do you use your screen?

At the moment I can sit 2.5 feet/75cm away from the screen. It feels pretty spot on. It's just before I have to start turning my head to see the corners.

I think any bigger than 43" at least at this distance would start to feel too big. For certain games it might work just as well and be slightly more immersive but for any kind of productivity it would be too big I think at least for me, plus 43" is still a very large monitor to have on your desk.

It's funny though how quickly you get used to the size. I can't even imagine going back to a 24" now.

Thanks for testing. I still keep eyes on this TV because its still best budget TV what you can buy for PC usage. Please let us updated if there come new firmware updates. After some usage do you still love your TV and glossy screen still wouldn't ruin your usage during daytime?

I still think the crown for best budget TV for PC usage belongs to the Seiki 39". The Sony is PWM free and has 4k60, but those features weren't worth another $500 to me, relative to what I have and what might come out next year. Sony is technically better, sure, but that budget word comes into play.

Regarding size, I found the 42.5" Sony to be slightly too large, even though I was used to the 38.5" Seiki. I think this was mostly a function of height and distance, combined with my desk. I have a tray keyboard desk, but if I was using the desk's top and could raise my seat to that level, it would be better, especially if you could vesa mount it to make it flush. At my max distance the Seiki fills my view, while the Sony always felt outside of it.

I picked up the UK version of this TV mid-week, and am attempting to use it with a GTX970 equipped Mac Pro but there's a lot of hoops to jump through to get working at full resolution.

In terms of impressions on the TV I'm trying to reserve judgement until I get to test it out 4k60Hz properly. Although I will say that I had to play with a lot of colour settings as it didn't look right to me for PC use out of the box but this is somewhat expected for a TV I guess.

I'm also not phenomenally keen on the coating which is neither matt nor glossy but halfway between. Coming from fully glossy displays the Sony feels like the reflections are more distracting.

The viewing angles are nice - when looking at VA equipped panels in the showroom (such as the Samsung 6 series) the shift in colours was really noticeable at typical monitor distances so the Sony seems much better in this regard.

Can somebody do me a favor and use a utility such as Powerstrip to extract the settings for a working 4k 60Hz resolution from a Windows PC? (I done currently have access to a PC with a large enough wattage PSU to run the GTX970 and test it myself)

I need things such as Scan rate, pixel clock, front porch, basically all the technical details to make a custom resolution.

Just as an update for any classic Mac Pro users out there..

I now have this TV working on a GTX 970, El Capitan, 4,1/5,1 Mac Pro with 4k @ 60Hz over HDMI.

I had to create the custom resolution in SwitchResX using timings lifted from the same resolution on Yosemite and Windows. Without just the right settings I ended up with a blank screen, crashes, half res resolutions etc.

I can provide more details if anyone else is interested.

@aadik - I will also give the 3840x1620 a try if I get a chance and Brigante doesn't beat me to it!

I tried 3840x1620 but the TV just scales it to fullscreen. Nvidia seems to have removed the option to force letterbox.

And @aadik the colours are definitely a lot better on the Sony than my HP LP2475W. I've not tried to hardware calibrate the TV yet though. I don't do photo editing anymore so I'm happy as long as I think it looks good.

I tried 3840x1620 but the TV just scales it to fullscreen. Nvidia seems to have removed the option to force letterbox.

Maybe you have applied on nVidia setting panel Adjust desktop size and position -> Aspect Ratio -> Full Screen but must have Aspect Ratio

@remixme I'd be interested in seeing the timings. My Macbook also can only run 4k30hz, so I'm curious as to whether you can see HiDPI resolutions at that res/hz.

Spending time back on the Seiki and still prefer the blacks and lack of flashlighting. VA gamma shift (at least on a 39" at 3+ feet) is nothing compared to IPS glow imo. If only Sony had the x850c smaller than 55".

@aadik 3840x1620 works fine. Not sure how I missed the scaling option. You have to select the option to override scaling set by games as well for it to work. But once set games work fine.

Looks good but I personally much prefer full 4K. Better FPS though so a good option if you find 4K too taxing on your gpu. A single 980ti is perfectly fine for 4K max settings for me though. At least in the games I play.

Good option for 21:9 resolution too. You see more game world with 21:9 than with 16:9.

@hannibl

I accidentally reset my setup yesterday to 4K@30Hz - None of the HiDPI modes I was using were available anymore.

At 60Hz - I'm currently using a HiDPI res of 3008x1692 or 3200x1800 depending on mood - both keep the display at its native resolution according to the info banner.

I'm guessing that none of the Samsung owners have gotten to compare firsthand with the Sony sets...

I'd be interested in the X830C as an alternative to the other large 4K monitors out there but I'm not sure that I want to dump my JS9000 for it yet. Blacks seem to be poorer and input lag seems to be higher. Perhaps 2016 will bring a killer set with less compromises than what we saw this year.

X830C Input lag is lower than JS9000 if thats right what rtrings say 36.8ms 4:4:4 and JS9000 have over 55ms with 4:4:4

X830C Input lag is lower than JS9000 if thats right what rtrings say 36.8ms 4:4:4 and JS9000 have over 55ms with 4:4:4

Sorry, I should have clarified. The JS9000 has lower input lag in Game mode. Sure that's 4:2:2 but it's virtually indistinguishable in most games.

The Sony looks good but I was wondering how it compares to, say, the Wasabi Mango UHD420 or Crossover 434K. I'd feel much more comfortable in terms of warranty and support with the Sony, that's for sure. Doubt I'll replace my Sammy at home but I would like a large 40"+ 4K for work and the Philips leaves a little to be desired.

Sorry, I should have clarified. The JS9000 has lower input lag in Game mode. Sure that's 4:2:2 but it's virtually indistinguishable in most games.

The Sony looks good but I was wondering how it compares to, say, the Wasabi Mango UHD420 or Crossover 434K. I'd feel much more comfortable in terms of warranty and support with the Sony, that's for sure. Doubt I'll replace my Sammy at home but I would like a large 40"+ 4K for work and the Philips leaves a little to be desired.

Maybe turning 4:4:4 support off makes Sony input lag lower too? Crossover 434k use same LG panel what Sony X830C too.

Quick update. I did a factory reset of the TV and now 1080p@120hz@4:4:4 works again.

Like hannibl though I get some artifacts. Like short white lines that appear and disappear very quickly along the middle of the screen.

It must be a firmware issue though as I didn't have the artifacts before the upgrade. I'll try to report it on the official forums. Doubt that'd be a priority for sony though as it's not a common use of the TV.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with artifacting problems on this display at 1080p 120Hz.

I have asked Sony support about the issue. It does not skip frames at 1080p 120Hz (verified with photographs), but the artifacts are still there. Most visible on black or dark backgrounds. Interestingly, there are no artifacts whatsoever at 720p 120Hz.

I tried multiple HDMI cables, and the problem didn't go away. The pixel clock is around 300MHz, whereas 4k 60Hz is around 600MHz. 4k 60Hz works flawlessly on this display using a Nvidia GTX 970.

I really hope they can fix this, because this display has everything from a productivity standpoint.

I also tried using Nvidia 3D Vision 2 with a 720p Acer 3D Vision Projector EDID. The TV did 720p 120Hz, and I got a moderate 3D effect, but there was severe crosstalk (I suspect caused by pixel persistence). No other EDIDs seemed to work. If anyone knows how to make the 3D vision 2 glasses work with this set, I would be interested, but at least for now, I think active 3D is a no go.

The display is otherwise beautiful. It fits perfectly on my desk, and the DPI is actually usable for windows and text. The only issue is the minor artifacting at 1080p 120Hz. I was able to reproduce the issue using an AMD Firepro graphics card as well, so I don't think it's something wrong with the GTX 970.

Smallest x810c is 55'' ?
I think that's too big for PC usage.
PPI same like 27'' 1080p so that's bad.

I have a 4k 55 inch samsung I am using as monitor. 55 inch is very doable especially since I set mine behind the desk and not right in my face.

Yeah it's been confirmed to only add YouView. I've not updated in case it breaks something else.

Brigante are you still happy with your Sony? Have you had problems with your TV android software? Like TV turn itself off when gaming and so one like some have had here.

Still very happy with it. Not had a single problem. Ive upgraded to 980ti sli as well now.

There seems to be new model for EU market. That's 49'' and little bit cheaper than 43'' x830c. But there isn't much info about it is it IPS or VA.
http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/televisions/x8005c-series
Edit: Interesting that TV have direct led backlight but more expensive and higher model x830c have edge led. What means Motionflow XR? 8005c have only 200hz and 830c have 800hz.

Last edited:
There seems to be new model for EU market. That's 49'' and little bit cheaper than 43'' x830c. But there isn't much info about it is it IPS or VA.
http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/televisions/x8005c-series
Edit: Interesting that TV have direct led backlight but more expensive and higher model x830c have edge led. What means Motionflow XR? 8005c have only 200hz and 830c have 800hz.

Guessing that Motionflow XR is like the AMP (Auto Motion Plus) frame interpolation / motion smoothing feature that the Samsungs have.

So is that giving any benefits if you use that screen for PC monitor?
Brigante is your screen frame matte black? Seems like x8005c have glossy frame.
Edit: Seems like x8005c use PWM dimming because in this video I can see screen flickering.
https://youtu.be/SS8T5eQaelQ?t=1m24s
https://youtu.be/SS8T5eQaelQ?t=11m48s seems like x8005c 49'' still use same IPS panel like x830c because contrast isn't very good in this video.

Last edited:
The 32" W7 might be the only exception in regards to lag for this year (I mean 2015 models ending in 'C'):
http://www.benchmark.pl/testy_i_recenzje/sony-kdl-32w705c-test.htm
Google translate that and it says 13.2ms
but I don't know how the reviewer did the lag testing, we need confirmation.

KDL-32W700C (Americas) and KDL-32W705C (Europe).

Any Polnish bros could help for a better translation plz ? (or even contact the reviewer so he can tell us more?)

Brigante, have you tried backlight strobing function with your screen? Seems like its similar like LightBoost function and eliminate motion blur. Your x8305c support it.

That's a shame to hear a firmware update has caused artifacts to appear when running at 1080p 120hz, hopefully SONY fixes it.

I just bought 55" 810 the other day. It looks beautiful even connected my 670GTX at 4k. I have a couple questions though:

1) How are you guys running 1080p120? I've tried the Nvidia control panel; it will change the resolution and refresh rate on the windows desktop but when I go into a game it will only show 1080p59 or 60. Also adding the resolution in the control panel doesn't change the resolutions in W10's resolution list as I can still only choose up to 60hz. I tried CRU but for whatever reason it disables 4k (even when I specifically add the resolution) until I uninstall it.

2) I can't select RGB or Full for the Dynamic Range Output. Is this because I'm not using a video card with HDMI 2.0?

I just bought 55" 810 the other day. It looks beautiful even connected my 670GTX at 4k. I have a couple questions though:

1) How are you guys running 1080p120? I've tried the Nvidia control panel; it will change the resolution and refresh rate on the windows desktop but when I go into a game it will only show 1080p59 or 60. Also adding the resolution in the control panel doesn't change the resolutions in W10's resolution list as I can still only choose up to 60hz. I tried CRU but for whatever reason it disables 4k (even when I specifically add the resolution) until I uninstall it.

2) I can't select RGB or Full for the Dynamic Range Output. Is this because I'm not using a video card with HDMI 2.0?

1. Some games don't run at 120hz. Thankfully newer titles tend to support it.

2. I don't think it's the lack of HDMI 2. That is only required for 4k60hz.

Hey....

Got here... coming from the Samsung 4k thread...
I need to buy a new 4k monitor... So the question is...
Samsung curved 6500 40inch - 690e
Samsung curved 7500 48inch - 1060e

Or....

Sony? which / why?

Thanks for the help guys...
I don't want to throw money on a wrong choice....

The only good 4K SONY TV's start at 55" and up. The best gaming model is the X810C 55" followed by the X850C.
Since it seems you are looking for a display under 50" Samsung is really your only alternative.

Back