The 10 Most Hated Companies in America

HardOCP News

[H] News
It is pretty damn sad that half the companies on this list of the ten most hated companies in America are tech companies.

We considered customer data from a number of sources, including Consumer Reports, the MSN Money/Zogby customer satisfaction poll, ForeSee’s Holiday E-Retail Satisfaction Index, and the University of Michigan’s American Customer Satisfaction Index. We also included employee satisfaction based on worker opinion scores recorded by Glassdoor. Finally, we considered management decisions made in the past year that hurt company image and brand value from marketing research firms BrandZ and Interbrand.

since this list encompasses the dislikes of consumers, employees, investors, and peers it seems like a decent list

If HP made it, EA should surely be on it.

A person is probably much much more likely to first of all know they are dealing with an HP device (the branding is all over it and it's part of the name usually) with a game, once you start playing (and remember there's fewer games in boxes now) it's not as apparent. Especially stuff like publisher.

Then, it's a game. So it's not as big a deal if there's a problem with it... Also 99.9% of the complaints about EA seem to consist of:

1) stuff that happened to other people, "hey some guy in some country got banned for being an asshole and his games got locked down for 2 days!!! :eek:" (normal people neither know nor care)
2) Stuff that doesn't even affect them "oh noes they shut down Petting Zoo 3 servers!"
3) Stuff "normal" people don't give a crap about forum person: "there's DLC on the disk! :eek: How indignant! :eek: Does anyone have the number for the UN I feel my human rights are so violateeeed! :eek:". Normal person: "hey this download was tiny! :D New stuff for my games! :D Yay! :D"
4) Imaginary stuff made dramaful: It scans your program files to find games! "There is spywares on the game disk! It scans copies of my bank statements I kept in my program files and E-mails it to EA who have 1 million employees and fucktons of disk drives so they can download and look through all my datas that it uploads instantly over my 56.6k modems! Even though I gave them all the information (including birthdate, name and bank details) that they would need when I bought the gaame!!! :eek:" Normal person, "installing♪ installing♪♭tralala!⌒♪"
5) Old games made more "accesible". "They killed all my childhood memories of this game I downloaded last week from GoG, fuck them in their dirty hole!!". Normal person: "Hey this game is fun and easy to get into!"
6) This could go on for ages...

People on forums tend not to be "everyday" people.

since this list encompasses the dislikes of consumers, employees, investors, and peers it seems like a decent list

Is this sarcasm? It seems completely biased by stock performance. When was the last time somebody ranted how they no longer buy stuff from J.C.Penny?

Is this sarcasm? It seems completely biased by stock performance. When was the last time somebody ranted how they no longer buy stuff from J.C.Penny?

Well, the list is published by 24/7 Wallstreet (an equity investor website) not 24/7 consumer electronics ... but no I wasn't trying to be sarcastic ... ATT wouldn't generally not make a list like that because they actually do fairly well with their employees and investors ... can't speak to EA but as earlier mentioned by the Princess they might not have the name recognition except with hard core gamers (who are a small subset of the total gaming market) ;) ... besides anyone can make a top 10 list and everyone can find some reason to disagree with the choices that are made :cool:

Are you serious? I have a big family and everybody knows JC Penny but I would say only 5-8 of us cousins and nephews know EA.

I do not agree with T-Mo being on there at all. Their cost is considerably less than either ATT or Verizon. (The increased cost is unjustifiable in my budget.) I was pleased when ATT did not buy them because then, all I could see is $110 a month for 1GB or so of data and barely better service than before.

I can't be assed to click through 5 pages before I get to that list. Post it in the OP next time, oh wait, not enough ad impressions when you do that.

Regardless, unless Chuck-n-Cluck Chicka-Fill or whatever they are called is on that list along with Hobby Lobby for being religious zealots that push their niche views onto their employees the list isn't nearly accurate.

I do not agree with T-Mo being on there at all. Their cost is considerably less than either ATT or Verizon. (The increased cost is unjustifiable in my budget.) I was pleased when ATT did not buy them because then, all I could see is $110 a month for 1GB or so of data and barely better service than before.

They indicated that T-Mobile is one there because they are the only big carrier who is losing customers in large numbers, their parent company wants to get rid of them, and they don't have the same technology and phone infrastructure of the other companies. It is possible to make a list putting any of the mobile carriers on there except for Verizon maybe, depending on the criteria you use. T-Mobile is in a precarious situation until they are purchased by a new parent company.

I'm a little shocked by the T-mobile rating. I had them for years and years. They were much cheaper than Verizon or AT&T. Signal was always great for me living in a big city and their customer service was always quite prompt and helpful. Compared to Verizon they were Nirvana Co.

I never would have dropped them except now I have a company phone and am back to verizon.... grrr....

Apparently "most hated" == "worst performing stock"...

I was sure Comcast would be #1.

Where are Bank of America, Wells Fargo, AIG, Moody's, or any of the other Wall Street companies responsible for the financial crash of 2008? How quickly we forget.... especially when they buy entire political parties and media outlets to redirect our anger elsewhere.

Spot on, I thought the title was a little misleading as it isn't exactly the ten most hated companies, but more like the 10 most distrusted companies this year. Many of the companies on the list were companies that people liked and used, but which have now lost the faith of their consumers.

First did you even read the article? They explained right in that description why JC Penny was chosen and it wasn't just about stock price. They measured it in actual consumers. And here I quote the article:

Sales fell 20% in the first full quarter after Johnson began to implement his plans, and the company continued to lose sales at a rapid rate. Customers defected in droves as a sign of their dissatisfaction with the new retail model laid out by Johnson. And with its stock falling more than 40% since Johnson joined, shareholder are also livid with the company, which has also completely eliminated its dividend.

While yes they mentioned the stock fell and the stockholders were upset, this was a direct result of losing "sales" which is a measure of how much consumers are buying. Obviously the consumers were upset with the pricing changes and overall direction the company took, so they shopped less. The ultimate measure of how much consumers distrust a company is how much less they buy from that company. There are other company's that took much steeper stock crashes than some of those, but those drops were directly linked to customer confidence either. All of these choices have multiple factors involved other than simple stock prices.

JC PENNY ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?!?!?! Comcast is not #1 what the fuck?!?!?!? They are not even on the list. what a bunch of bullshit man get this shit out of here.

FUCK YEAH, my company is on the list! WOOO HOOOO I'm famous!

The fact that Goldman Sachs nor HSBC isn't on the top 3 of the list shows everyone in this country has their priorities all fucked up...

Are you serious? I have a big family and everybody knows JC Penny but I would say only 5-8 of us cousins and nephews know EA.

Do they spend much time complaining about them? How much do they hate it anyway? It isn't about the most known companies, just the most hated.

Google Fight!

bank of america hate: About 2,080,000 results (0.37 seconds)
jcpenny hate: About 3,220,000 results (0.33 seconds)
wachovia hate: About 6,490,000 results (0.35 seconds)
walmart hate: About 38,600,000 results (0.31 seconds)
ea hate: About 53,700,000 results (0.54 seconds)
ford hate: About 60,900,000 results (0.31 seconds)
t-mobile hate: About 249,000,000 results (0.53 seconds)

EA (and t-mobile) hate seems more on the web, but I am shocked that they beat out Bank of America (maybe Google owns too much of the stock). Maybe they really are that hated (I can easily see walmart being more than 10 times their size and distorting the hate level that way).

Do they spend much time complaining about them? How much do they hate it anyway? It isn't about the most known companies, just the most hated.

Google Fight!

EA (and t-mobile) hate seems more on the web, but I am shocked that they beat out Bank of America (maybe Google owns too much of the stock). Maybe they really are that hated (I can easily see walmart being more than 10 times their size and distorting the hate level that way).

EA will be more visible online because people who don't like them are gamers and are by nature always online. I doubt some suburban mom who doesn't like Penney's will be raging in an online forum on how much more evil Penney's is.

Google Fight!

LOL, thanks for that, that is the funniest thing I have seen all day. The age old adage, "If it is on the Internet it MUST be true!"

Are you dating a french model who you met online too?

What, no health insurance companies? United Healthcare, BC/BS, Aetna, etc???

I can't be assed to click through 5 pages before I get to that list. Post it in the OP next time, oh wait, not enough ad impressions when you do that.

Regardless, unless Chuck-n-Cluck Chicka-Fill or whatever they are called is on that list along with Hobby Lobby for being religious zealots that push their niche views onto their employees the list isn't nearly accurate.

Their company, their rules. If you don't like don't work there. If you don't, good on you. If you do then you probably are aware of what type of company you are working for.

Entitled much? That's about as bad as the government saying Google stymies competition on their search engine. Damn skippy! It's their search engine, screw the competition. Stop with the handouts routine.

What, no health insurance companies? United Healthcare, BC/BS, Aetna, etc???

They are right up there with the MPAA/RIAA with having congress in their back pockets. They won't ever show up on that list. I agree though, despicable companies how they treat their base sometimes.

The greateat trick the devil ever did was make the world think he didn't exist! Or something like that. Also catching hoops on his horns.

Aw rats, my horns are too short to catch hoops. I need to work on becoming more evil so I can have fun too. Also...Colonel Sanders is the devil?

You mean Apple isn't number one on the list :)

Most these companies are not even worth the effort to hate them....

As for #1 J.C. Penney, the story is incomplete. They went form occasional good sale prices to an all-high-prices-all-the-time model. Then when business failed, they started pushing expensive glossy ads (often with no prices), pushing strange designs and colors. Finally they started pushing ga ys in thier ads driving away another portion of thier few remaining customers.

#3 T-Mobile - Don;t know why this is on the list and not AT&T or Verizon. - Better pricing, and I've have great service the few times I've needed it. As for not having the iPhone, I consider it a plus, as iPhone users tend to be more expensive to support, raising prices on everyone.

#4 FaceBook - Finally something I can agree with :)

#6 RIM - Again, not worth the effort to hate.

So it's much better if the anti-religious zealots push thier niche views onto everyone?

Back