The 10 Best Video Game Soundtracks Of 2016

Thats a crapshoot of a list, all the entries sound the same.

So wait, someone made a "best of" list for 2016 Game Soundtracks, and DOOM, easily the BEST one, if not top-5, didn't even make the list? Yeah, no respect to the author.

I cannot say it is one of the best but the second Fever Ray's "Wolf" came on in Far Cry Primal, it added a little more life to the game.

No Fallout 4 on the list . . .but maybe it has to be an original score vs. already established tunes.

Well the doom soundtrack is repetitive but it's pretty good atmosphere music in the game. I quite liked it. The author doesn't seem like the Doom type though :)

I'd put in Doom's over Final Fantasy XV's. I found that one to be totally forgettable.

Without Doom anywhere on that list, it is an utter failure of an article.

Easily the most overrated game in recent years, and perhaps in history if we keep getting more posts like this. A fairly forgettable game, but decent enough to hold your attention for 10-12 hours. But is was just an average experience. About the only thing extraordinary about it was the high frame rates on PC, but aside from that it was thoroughly forgettable. I rate it on par with games like Sniper Elite 2/3. Decent enough for a play through if there is nothing else out there that interests you, but not ground breaking or even great.

Easily the most overrated game in recent years, and perhaps in history if we keep getting more posts like this. A fairly forgettable game, but decent enough to hold your attention for 10-12 hours. But is was just an average experience. About the only thing extraordinary about it was the high frame rates on PC, but aside from that it was thoroughly forgettable. I rate it on par with games like Sniper Elite 2/3. Decent enough for a play through if there is nothing else out there that interests you, but not ground breaking or even great.
We're talking about the soundtrack. Not the game itself. The soundtrack is amazing.

I really liked the Deus Ex HR sound track, unfortunately I felt that Mankind Divided didn't quite live up

Have to disagree, it was an awesome game the only lacking part was the multiplayer and the available modes. Its not a deep game but its fast, keeps your adrenaline up and makes you have fun. I can understand that its not for everyone, especially gamers who enjoy the sneaky/tactical/slow games.

And I ahve to agree with the article, the theme song for Sid Meiers Civilization was thoroughly rousing. I might even like it better than Civ 4's "Baba Yetu" :p

Have to disagree, it was an awesome game the only lacking part was the multiplayer and the available modes. Its not a deep game but its fast, keeps your adrenaline up and makes you have fun. I can understand that its not for everyone, especially gamers who enjoy the sneaky/tactical/slow games.

Well, this thread is about soundtracks. I don't care for the Doom type of game, but I can see the appeal of the soundtrack. It has that certain Rob Zombie feel to it.

Well, this thread is about soundtracks. I don't care for the Doom type of game, but I can see the appeal of the soundtrack. It has that certain Rob Zombie feel to it.

Yeah... if Rob Zombie was able to make more than a single good album.

I love the guy but his music definately sucked after Hellbilly Deluxe. .

Dang! I might have to get the Doom soundtrack. I haven't played the new Doom yet, but gosh, the soundtrack has a HUGE Fear Factory vibe!

Good article. I'll have to check some of those out.

Abzu by Austin Wintory is possibly the best soundtrack of the year outright across all genres.

Deus Ex Mankind Divided is a completely different kind of awesome. It's predecessor soundtrack was arguably better but this still has plenty of awesome going for it.

I'll have to think of some more later but these are my two stand outs off the top of my head.

Yeah... if Rob Zombie was able to make more than a single good album.

I love the guy but his music definately sucked after Hellbilly Deluxe. .

Yeah, there were a few good tracks as part of White Zombie before that as well.

An aside: I vaguely remember having a copy of Command & Conquer back in the 90's which contained a video ad for the upcoming Command and Conquer: Red Alert, and used an instrumental version of White Zombie's "More Human than Human" as the background song as a tank smashed through a wall, and things like that.

I've been able to find similar promotional videos for Command and Conquer: Red Alert since then, but they are all edited slightly differently, and use different music. I've wanted to confirm this, but lost that disc ages ago.

Does anyone else recall this?

Well it's a basic shooter with get the keycard puzzles... personally I like it, but I have some very fond memories of playing doom with a subwoofer hooked up to my pc and idling the chainsaw and stuff. I'm not sure that this new doom is better or scarier than Doom 3 or any of the other doom games really, but it's pretty true to the original.

The Doom soundtrack is pretty awesome, but after watching these 2 vids, makes it even more awesome.

Oh, I didnt know he did the Doom soundtrack. I was only aware of his work in Killer Instinct.

Take into account this is on "ClassicFM" which is a instrumental / orchestral website. Look at their 10 Best Albums Of 2016 and I'm sure most of you will not recognize one single artist on there. The only person I recognized was Ennio Morricone and he's not even close to being a household name.

So that being said, I'm surprised they didn't have Ori And The Blind Forest by Gareth Coker. It has some excellent instrumentation on it and Aeralie Brighton did a good job in it. The music helped set the mood of the game.

Doom rocks as a game in arcade mode in nightmare difficulty, lol.

The hardest part is figuring out what killed you; if I make it to the end of a level, it's always a surprise.

The other modes limit your targeting so much it's not much fun; I'm not a grinder kind of gamer, it's all about the gibs. :)

meh...perhaps

Everything is measured to the standards of the Quake 1 soundtrack.

Keeping in mind I do still own the original Quake (shareware) CD and have it in my music collection.i just didn't find the first soundtrack to be very strong on its own. The first song was cool, but then it quickly devolved into experimentive stuff.

But I felt that Rezner had drifted during that time frame (between The Downward Spiral and The Fragil).

However, you can't judge soundtracks as stand alone albums. You have to consider how they affect the mood and for that it was ok.

My favorites were Q2's and Doom3's sound track. Of course I love current Doom's but I doubt I'll listen to it stand alone much.

Try loading up the Doom's soundtrack with an 18" 1000 watt sub in your house. Goose bumps!
Agreed. No shortage of subsonic ear candy. Have a 1,200 watt amp powering a pair of old skool 5 ways in my garage/workshop.

Think Vega Core shook some of my fillings loose. :D

Agreed. No shortage of subsonic ear candy. Have a 1,200 watt amp powering a pair of old skool 5 ways in my garage/workshop.

Think Vega Core shook some of my fillings loose. :D
Hellwalker shook some stuff off our shelve's, I had to turn down the gain :D

Back