That time for my LAN party and need some game recomendations

ziscwg

Limp Gawd
Hello,
My gaming has been very limited do to other commitments, but the Holidays always brings about a LAN party for 4 - 6 of us.

What is a fun mulitplay LAN game out?

We like many of the shooters and such. UT3 has been a good go to game for us.

We all have dated video hardware. Nvidia 7900 cards seem to be the average of our systems. So, that probably leaves out newer games. We are all running Win 7 though.

Id love it if I didnt have to buy like 4 copies of a game to play on a lan. But, if they are cheap, no biggy there. Im just not planning on doing 4 x $60 for this one time.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
CS:S (Counter Strike Source) It is on sale right now for $5. Can't go wrong with some CS action.

Or UT2k4 maybe? Can probably find it for free somewhere or very very cheap.

Starcraft, Warcraft, Diablo. All of these are classics that are loads of fun with friends.

Last edited:
We are running Dawn of War, it runs just fine on older machines. AvP2 is always a great lan game.

Our fave is the original CoD with UO expansion, load up the Carentan map on deathmatch or TDM and take pride in "holding" the house with the mounted MG in the window. Also good as a drinking game where you drink for every kill you get, good fun and balances out the skill quite fast.

SWAT 4 coop is alawys good, great fun sober and trying really hard and even more fun drunk and slugging each other in the head with melee and screwing everything up with random flashbangs :)

Battlefield series.
Call of Duty series (not the latest one Modern Warfare 2. I'm under the impression they took out LAN play)
Flatout 2:You can't go wrong with the destruction derby game play
Serious Sam 2

2nd on the Swat 4 but get the Gold edition. It includes the expansion

Battlefield series.
Call of Duty series (not the latest one Modern Warfare 2. I'm under the impression they took out LAN play)
Flatout 2:You can't go wrong with the destruction derby game play
Serious Sam 2

2nd on the Swat 4 but get the Gold edition. It includes the expansion

Yes and Flatout 2 that's a regular with us, usualy the mini games and the destruction derby.

Red Faction: Guerrilla has kick ass multiplayer

Dunno if his comp can handle it very good. I could be way off on that note though.

And with Battlefield I don't think it would be much fun unless you got on Multiplayer. With only 6 players it is going to be pretty boring I would think. If it is just a LAN party meaning just you and your buddies playing I would go for something else but if you are all playing online together, definitely look into it.

before i drank the CoD punch, I was addictively playing NovaLogic's Delta Force Black Hawk Down series.

Awesome army first-person-shooter and you can find copies of that game for $10 or less.

Awesome map selections - from huge expansive sniper-friendly ones down to frag-fest smaller ones
Real-life physics like bullet-drop over distance
A few years old but still very much a fun game.

Hello,
My gaming has been very limited do to other commitments, but the Holidays always brings about a LAN party for 4 - 6 of us.

What is a fun mulitplay LAN game out?

We like many of the shooters and such. UT3 has been a good go to game for us.

We all have dated video hardware. Nvidia 7900 cards seem to be the average of our systems. So, that probably leaves out newer games. We are all running Win 7 though.

Id love it if I didnt have to guy like 4 copies of a game to play on a lan. But, if they are cheap, no biggy there. Im just not planning on doing 4 x $60 for this one time.

Thoughts?

Let me give you a list of games and tips that I have learned over the years to have a sucessful and fun LAN party:

1. Make sure to agree on a game list and that everybody has the games being played already installed before showing up to the LAN.
2. Make sure everybody has scanned their computers for viruses/malware/spyware and clean before showing up and infecting everybody. Nothing sucks more than your buddy copying some files over and nuking your machine.
3. Power Strips
4. Drinks

Suggested Games:

1. L4D2
2. UT99 or UT3 with mods
3. Half-Life 2 Deathmatch
4. Starcraft
5. WOW (Actually a fun LAN game)
6. Age of Empires
7. TF2

Sins of a Solar Empire if you think you guys would be up for some awesome lan RTS play. Try the demo to see what you think.

Cod4 FFA

on occasion if its a small lan, we will do a 4 way co-op in R6 Vegas.

UT3

GriD Racing

and TrackMania Forever ( the free one )

Goldeneye Source is fun, I would reccommend that as well

also if you have some serious tactical shooter fans at the lan, might I suggest another Souce Mod, Insurgency Mod?

Our LANs usually consist of
UT2004 Onslaught
UT2004 Intsagib
UT3 Warfare
Command and Conquer Generals Zero Hour
Command and Conquer 3
Starcraft Brood Wars
Quake 2 instagib/rocket arena/beer quake (gotta throw that in for old times sake)

New games get thrown in/tried, but those always find their way into the rotation...

At our lans we usually play UT2k4, CnC3, Quake 4, AoE3/AoM and the first Dawn of War.

How about a retro game? Sacrifice, it can be found on steam for $10. :D

World in Conflict. Played on my P4 2.66 7600gs AGP rig.

Killing Floor?

...Hard for me to think of what I play with friends now, that would work on older computers! :mad:

Just finished a LAN party of 5 with Swat 4. Easily the most fun I've had at a party in the last 5 years. So much fun playing coop games. Also broke it up with MW1 and Dawn of War for chaotic alternatives to the serious business. Really a great group game. (SWAT 4)

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I did pick up an ATI 5770 for HDCP support last week. So, one of us has some better hardware.

We did play Far Cry in the past and it was fun on smaller maps. I tried a few map editing things, but could never get them to work. There was one map where a rocket launcher was needed to take care of someone in a good sniper position.

Halo is a good go to also. The vehicles and teaming up are great fun on smaller maps.

If your systems can handle it, I highly recommend Demigod. This game is SO fun at a LAN. There's a demo to test your PCs against.

Back