That CoolerMaster PSU is How Much?

Discussion in '[H]ard|OCP Front Page News' started by Kyle_Bennett, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett El Chingón Staff Member

You guys might know that we are pretty damn fond of our enthusiast level computer power supplies around here. But when I first read this, I was sure that I was getting it wrong, mainly because it was not in English...and I only read English. Well that and a good bit of Spanish being from Texas. Looking around I did find a news item over at TechPowerUp that was in English that coveres the new CoolerMaster MasterWatt Maker 1200.

At CES 2017, Cooler Master unveiled a limited edition of their MasterWatt line of power supply units: the MasterWatt Author ME 1200 W. As the name implies, this is a 1200 W power supply, rated at 80 Plus Titanium efficiency levels (which means >94% energy efficiency), though Cooler Master claims this PSU is able to achieve >95% efficiency levels. Built exclusively with Murata components, Cooler Master are presenting this one as the best power supply they've ever made, and they're therefore pitting it as a special, limited edition PSU, of which only a few thousand samples will be produced and sold: at an over $1000 price-tag.

2. Dekoth-E-

Dekoth-E- [H]ardness Supreme

I'm not sure which blows my mind more; The fact that they are trying to push a PSU at over a grand or the fact that people will buy it.

Vercinaigh likes this.
  3. WorldExclusive

WorldExclusive [H]ardForum Junkie

There's no need for high powered PSUs like this outside of heavy workstation applications.
    The only reason why I still have a 1000W PSU is because I bought it over three years ago for $100. Otherwise a 650-750W would be just fine for me.

{NG}Fidel likes this.
  4. sirmonkey1985

sirmonkey1985 [H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2010

looks like the coolermaster marketing team has been hanging out with the intel marketing team to much lately.. lol

and completely agree with you worldexclusive.. unless you're going triple/quadfire/sli theres really no need for anything over 750w especially now that nvidia and amd are shying away from supporting more than 2 gpu's..

Finny76 likes this.
  5. MrCaffeineX

MrCaffeineX [H]ard|Gawd

I don't even think *coin miners are gullible enough to touch it at that price point and they're the only group I can think of that would make use of that much power. I can run my office's entire server rack on that much power...

6. Kyle_Bennett

7. magoo

magoo [H]ardForum Junkie

Does it blend?

Sardaan likes this.
  8. Crosshairs

Crosshairs Administrator Staff Member

Thats a sweet looking unit that will likely last forever...I just could never bring myself to pay that much, even thought its probably worth it.

{NG}Fidel likes this.
  9. Paul_Johnson

Paul_Johnson [H] PSU Editor & Admin Staff Member

Yeah this is a different OEM (Murata Manufacturing at Wakura Marata) than the current 1200W (which is made by Enhance).

10. Kyle_Bennett

I thought it was, thanks for verifying Paul.

11. JosiahBradley

JosiahBradley [H]ard|Gawd

The only reason it cost 1,000$ is not because it is inherently better but because as a Halo product they make less of them and need a way to recoup the R&D. I'm sure it is a fine PSU and better performing than other models but just like a Titan XP vs a GTX 1080 the price/performance curve is not linear. 1200W does seem a little skimpy for 1,000$ though, would have expected something closer to 1500W.

12. daglesj

daglesj [H]ardness Supreme

One to pass on to the grand children...

One thing I would like t see is some modernisation of power connections from the PSU to the motherboard. All looks very 1991 to me.

13. alxlwson

alxlwson You Know Where I Live

If is has even a single mV of AC ripple, it disqualifies itself from that price bracket.

Vercinaigh and cyclone3d like this.
  14. oROEchimaru

oROEchimaru [H]ardness Supreme

i would pay $1000 for a 300 page book of pictures of different psus they have made in the last 30 years.

Willypants, haste., cyclone3d and 2 others like this.
  15. Wolf_Tech

Wolf_Tech Limp Gawd

I perfer Enermax.Been using them for years never had one issue with them.

16. viscountalpha

viscountalpha [H]ard|Gawd

i'm willing to bet it's not nearly worth a thousand. it might compare to a 500$ psu. MAYBE.

17. mynamehere

mynamehere [H]ard|Gawd

They said they were going to send one to JonnyGURU, so we shall see.

18. c3k

c3k [H]ard|Gawd

Is it self-energized, or do I have to provide the operating electricity?
    ;)

Willypants and Finny76 like this.
  19. Hornet

Hornet [H]ardness Supreme

For that price tag, it should come with a lifetime warranty, lol.

For me personally, no PSU is worth that much. Its design and components may be significantly better than other top end PSU, but if it isn't going to make any practical difference for me, then I don't see myself ever investing that much in a PSU

Finny76 likes this.
  20. mnewxcv

mnewxcv [H]ardness Supreme

even if it was the best [atx] power supply ever made, not just the best power supply Cooler Master has made, it wouldn't be worth 1000.

21. Stoly

Stoly [H]ardness Supreme

I guess you mean cojones. I'd rather say "huevos" though.

22. Kyle_Bennett

I did not mean it, I wrote it. :) And I doubt Coolermaster does.... Huevos in Texas is "eggs."

co·jo·nes
    kəˈhōˌnāz,-ˌnās/
    noun
    1. NORTH AMERICANinformal
      a man's testicles.
      • courage; guts.
        "he does not have the cojones to kill a flea"

ebduncan likes this.
  23. GotNoRice

GotNoRice [H]ardForum Junkie

Sounds like a product made just for prestige purposes. They clearly don't expect many people to buy these, and for the ones who will, the higher price tag is probably more of a bonus (more to brag about).

24. ebduncan

ebduncan [H]ard|Gawd

Why would anyone pay 1000$ for a powersupply that powers their Pc?

I mean I understand people have money, and will waste it, but you can buy a quality PSU for around 200$ which will work just fine. I feel like the only people who are going to own these, are cooler master employees, and tech press who got sent review samples, oh and those few rich guys who only want the best.

25. thesmokingman

thesmokingman [H]ardness Supreme

Because the price implies premium?

26. Agromahdi123

Agromahdi123 Gawd

Huevos is polite slang for balls. In fact its almost more correct in spanish to say Huevos when you mean "courage" and "cojones" when you want to call someone a pussy, you say they dont have the cojones, but if they are ballsy you say they have big huevos.

27. Gigus Fire

Gigus Fire [H]ard|Gawd

What's with these outlandish prices for components?
    Phanteks elite for 700$ and now this psu for 1000$?
    Isn't it just a titanium rated psu? EVGA makes one for 279$.

I see motherboards getting more and more expensive, are other component makers seeing a market for overpriced junk?

28. SixFootDuo

SixFootDuo [H]ardness Supreme

The will appeal to kids with too much money. It's extremely laughable to me. This PSU is no better than anything else out there at the end of the day. You can buy a damn 1070 based computer for $1000.

I have a platinum rated 860 Corsair PSU that has the same specs or better than this other than the wattage. I think I paid $300 for it 2+ years ago. It's $199 now.

29. thesmokingman

thesmokingman [H]ardness Supreme

It's the Apple effect, as popularized by Nvidia.

30. Dekoth-E-

Dekoth-E- [H]ardness Supreme

Same, although when my Liberty started showing its age I replaced it with a corsair since it was on a really good sale at the time and I wanted to give it a shot. I have not been disappointed in the slightest. If prices were the same I would likely still choose an Enermax first, but I haven't managed to find fault with this corsair yet.

31. cyclone3d

cyclone3d [H]ardForum Junkie

32. Bandalo

Bandalo [H]ardness Supreme

Its hitting levels of audiophile crazy over at CoolerMaster.

"In a blind A/B test, this new PSU clearly gave a 5% boost to my FPS"

33. britjh22

britjh22 Limp Gawd

I really hope this gets recommended for builds for rich idiots that show up in r/buildmeapc asking for a $10k build. This would go nicely with a 6950x and triple SLI Titan XP build, keep with the theme of waste.

34. Verge

Verge [H]ardness Supreme

Well we're in America and we don't really speak american.

A good portion of our population is of Mexican descent, and they don't really speak Spanish.

So don't mess with Murica, we say whatever we want and look dumb!

35. Kyle_Bennett

Oh I know what it is, but I am not polite. And yes, I was saying exactly that they would puss out and not send us one.

Vercinaigh likes this.
  36. ButtonPuncher

ButtonPuncher [H]Lite

For $1k, that DC should be as clean as a massive battery.

BP

37. prime2515102

prime2515102 [H]ard|Gawd

Why are you making such a big deal out of this? Who wouldn't pay over $1000 for it? The chokes have solid thick wire and the PFC chokes have thicker wires AND they're wrapped in copper!

DocSavage likes this.
  38. Ducman69

Ducman69 [H]ardForum Junkie

Have you seen the kind of money some of the Chinese kids coming to the US for school from China have? Their folks own factories in China, multi-billionaires, and they lavish that money on their kids that go through Lambos like Kleenex. For them, $1K for a PSU is absolutely inconsequential, and they may even buy it BECAUSE its expensive (must be that much better after all... gold iPhone style). I'm sure there are dudes in Cambodia facepalming that we occasionally splurge and get $60 steaks at Perry's on special occasions.

Vercinaigh and Kyle_Bennett like this.
  39. blkt

blkt Gawd

Am I the only one who just buys the power supply which fits my system's power draw through the PSU efficiency curve? Shameless plug for Seasonic occurs here. As for Ducman69's comment, yeah I've seen it.

40. sirmonkey1985

sirmonkey1985 [H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2010

go open your psu there you've seen the last 30 years of psu manufacturing now pay me the 1000 dollars kthnx ;).. the core design is essentially the same and hasn't changed much. antec made an attempt to change the standard about 5 years ago and it fell on it's face which sucked since the design made sense for high output psu's but was bulky as heck.