Thanks Stanford & Nvidia...

nomad8u

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - December 2008
both for the new toys, and helping me kill 4 hours reading the slew of new posts in this forum today... :)

I don't think there's been this many one day new posts/threads since the Chimp Challenge. Helped me pass what would have been a boring evening.....

0.png

Ya, thanks for screwing up my study time Nvidia and Stanford! I write Server+ in two days and spent the last few hours messing around with clients instead of hitting the books. If I fail I'm sending them the bill for the test.

Ya, thanks for screwing up my study time Nvidia and Stanford! I write Server+ in two days and spent the last few hours messing around with clients instead of hitting the books. If I fail I'm sending them the bill for the test.

heh..heh.. there's always some distraction. Send Nvidia the bill, but tell them you'll settle for a new 280 instead (you'll be happy to split the shipping with them of course :p)

Luck on the test!

0.png

i think nVidia wrote this new GPU client to show off their CUDA technology with their new GT200 card series. So there is no altruism or love for medical research here, i think this is strictly advertisement and marketing from part of nVidia

Thanks nVidia for giving me 4500 PPD on the card I only use a couple hours a day to test my Unreal Engine work.

Thanks Stanford for not blocking driver versions, allowing me to hack the latest beta driver to run on my 8800 GT, while still allowing me to use Server 2008 x64.

Thank you landlords for including the power bill as part of the base rent, meaning this costs me nothing in electricity.

:D

i think nVidia wrote this new GPU client to show off their CUDA technology with their new GT200 card series. So there is no altruism or love for medical research here, i think this is strictly advertisement and marketing from part of nVidia

Must resist.......must resist my urges to expand on this thought.... must remain positive...

Hope this whole thing works out as well as it initially looks like it can.....

I sure hope nobody was really under the impression that NVidia, ATI and Sony were participating for the sake of science or just "doing the right thing." :D

While it's true one of the motives who pushed them to participate in F@H is for marketing reasons, look at this with a positive view because it's another way to help the science. IMHO, it's a nice way to fully utilize the hardware which isn't unused otherwise.

Anyway, I don't bet they rely mainly on folders to increase sales since folding make up for only 5% of computer usage worldwide.

Anyway, I don't bet they rely mainly on folders to increase sales since folding make up for only 5% of computer usage worldwide.

Yeah.....but don't think that the recent surge of new folders investing heavily in equipment doesn't have anything to do with it either.....

How many folders had five or ten dedicated boxen this time last year?

Like I said before, I'm going to remain positive about this, but sorry......marketing surely had something to do with this... it was yet another way to compete with ATI and increase sales at the same time. If people are willing to shell out thousands for quads, they will likely be willing to lay down a pretty hefty chunk of change for a couple (or more) dedicated GPU's, and nVidia knows this....

Regardless, hopefully the technology stays current and stable for a while.... but it's starting to look like power cost may be a legitimate problem here...

D_E, for yourself who is asking if it is worth to get a new GPU, a 8800GT is a fine option (not too expensive and can do about 4500 ppd, which is not too shabby). With folding in full swing, the value is now increased.

But power usage is definitely a problem in some areas ;)

Like I said before, I'm going to remain positive about this, but sorry......marketing surely had something to do with this... it was yet another way to compete with ATI and increase sales at the same time.
I'm sure they're also thinking about Intel in their rear-view mirror. NVidia is looking t increase sales any way it can. They realize they have a big fight a head of them.

Regardless, hopefully the technology stays current and stable for a while.... but it's starting to look like power cost may be a legitimate problem here...
As I mentioned in another thread, we'll probably see a lot of early adopters rethink GPU folding on a mass scale once the power consumption figures rear their ugly heads. ;)

Back