Thanks Nvidia. Your update wiped out my work

c3k

2[H]4U
Why did you do that to me?

You put a yellow exclamation mark in my taskbar. That bothered me. It kept flashing. Finally, I clicked on it. My Geforce Experience was outdated! That exclamation mark kept pushing me... I had to do something.

I updated my "experience". I should've known better.

Then it said I had an old driver. That damn yellow exclamation mark was back. It was worse than the beating heart that tortured Poe.

I...updated my video card drivers. In a moment of weakness, I chose "express". Why? I was lazy. I was in a hurry. Damn, all I wanted was that yellow exclamation mark to leave me alone!!!

The update wiped out my audio. Yes, I use an HDMI connection to an amp.

I fixed my audio.

The update wiped out ALL my customized 3D settings. Every game setting...gone. Hours of patient tweaking. Experiments with different AA levels were lost. Trilinear filtering? Who knows. DSR? Was it 1.33 or 1.41? I"ll never know...

All my game settings...forever lost.

Thanks Nvidia.

Yeah, I never do express. I only install the Graphic, Physx and HDMI Driver. Everything else is unchecked.

hopefully Nvidia doesn't make GeForce Experience a mandatory part of future driver installs

this happened to me long ago and had to learn the hard way, now I take screenshots of all my settings and keep them organized in a folder with a backup on a usb stick just incase.

Just pull them from your backups.

...ohhh...

Seriously though, I think those kinds of settings should be stored in the cloud, tagged to the computer so you can have multiples associated with the account.

Uhm but I thought Nvidia drivers and software never caused problems!
Im sorry for you buddy, but I had to make a general point.

That sucks man. Sorry to hear that. Like someone said earlier it is better just to save them to the cloud for the next time this happens.

I just use NV inspector to make backup of the custom profiles I make and then import them in after a fresh driver install. Driver updates after always a risky affair...

Screenshots, 3rd party utilities, cloud storage, hell, even a notepad and pen: why can't Nvidia include a simple "save my settings to a location" button on their own?

A driver update should not be a driver "wipe it all out and start anew".

Should I have known better? Yeah. I've been using video cards and updating drivers since the days when we had to punch our own programming cards and feed them into the stack. Hell, I even backup my settings when I update an abacus. Why not this one time? Like I said, I was in a rush...and got a little lazy.

This machine is a recent build. It combines an FX8350 cpu with a GTX670 in a small Silverstone Grandia 9 HTPC case. No, I never got around to installing NVI, like I have with my main gaming rig.

I really can't think of any programs which do the same "wipe it all out" when you update. My antivirus even asks if I'm just updating to a new version (and it saves EVERYTHING), or if I want to wipe it out because I am tired of it and wish it to leave.

Nvidia: c'mon guys and gals. SAVE MY SETTINGS should be an option somewhere on that control panel.

Why isn't it?

I feel your pain with you Brother! (or Sister dont know).

Nvidia should get a swirly for that!

Makes you wonder if the "perform a clean install" option is auto-checked in that express install for those drivers.

Uhm but I thought Nvidia drivers and software never caused problems!
Im sorry for you buddy, but I had to make a general point.

How is user error a driver problem?

Stop looking to blame something else this is entirely your fault. The installer walks you through it clear as day and you didn't take the time to protect your extremely valuable settings.

You fuck up then blame something other than yourself. Good shit dude. I bet you're super accomplished with such a fantastic attitude.

This is why you back up game settings with NVInspector.

If you haven't used that tool, now is the time :)

Back