Thank You Microsoft for Adding ADS

I have to work with Freedom of Information and Protection act(aka FOIP) I am familiar with Federal and Provincial laws, CSOX = Canadian Sarbanes–Oxley Act (200 Pages). BCoIT and GOAIT (British Columbia and Alberta Government IT policies and subsequent policies).

People that work for big companies are lucky they already have structures rules and regulations whilest SMB 99% of the time have nothing to start with makes my job much more difficult then an admin working for a large company. Off course I enjoy the challenges of my job and turned down a cushy gig with large Pipeline company of being Server admin because all I was ever going to do is work on servers in a data center.

Not exactly. Kind of hard to structures and practices in place for regulations that were just created and the rules in flux like Dodd-Frank and Basel III.

Apparently he's never heard of BYOD...we are going to have to deal with that crap eventually....blaahh

Everyone's heard of it but unless it's properly managed it's a huge security risk and at this time we don't allow it for many reasons.

US Bing and Google search results on the term "server 2003":

Screenshot%20(43).png

Screenshot%20(44).png

As I said I block ads. I don't see any ads in my result windows. I will admit that just having tried Bing the results were similar. An improvement from over three months ago.. I still hate the word Bing. It bothers my OCDness. I also hate the front page of Bing stupid picture backgrounds ( I don't want to be bothered with customizations).
Microsoft gets enough money for me I am not giving them any more then I choose. Silver partnership fees, action pack etc..
I work with MS products thats no secret, but MS fucking over a lot of people that invested a lot of capital and getting screwed by MS with certain products and services, MPN changes, SBS cancellation, shit cloud returns. I choose not to give them any more revenue then I want. How much have you sold of Microsoft products this year? Most of you are also not self employed, so yeah I take things personally so fuck Bing I don't care. If I am going to be spied on I choose Google :p

Yes, this is becoming a big deal and it's one area where Microsoft actually put some interesting features into 8.1 to make managing it easier: http://www.zdnet.com/windows-8-1s-byod-enhancements-ready-for-business-adoption-7000016280/

Yeah if your using SCCM its great not so much if you use Kaseya, N-Able.
What about Android Devices, Iphones, BlackBerries. Again your aproaching this from MS centric point of view.

This is why its just better not to install and or give any options of storing any data on a BYOD. This is why I have been growing at a treamendus rate in the VDI sector/Cloud services. Regulations are my biggest problems.

Bringing best buy laptops, ipads, etc... in to work may be the next "thing" the execs push on us.

There are some things that are making this easier, but I think the most we'd do would be a remote desktop client for their device. No way we'd put company data on their device. If they left the company and we did a remote wipe for security reasons, they'd lose their data, too. So, we need to have a line drawn for personal and company data.

Yeah if your using SCCM its great not so much if you use Kaseya, N-Able.
What about Android Devices, Iphones, BlackBerries. Again your aproaching this from MS centric point of view.

This is why its just better not to install and or give any options of storing any data on a BYOD. This is why I have been growing at a treamendus rate in the VDI sector/Cloud services. Regulations are my biggest problems.

I agree...were trying to do some initial planning with vdi and BYOD. Were coming up with all sorts of headaches...but it will eventually come if the "execs" get their way.

Not exactly. Kind of hard to structures and practices in place for regulations that were just created and the rules in flux like Dodd-Frank and Basel III.

We don't have American regulations in Canada so I am not familiar with Dodd Frank and Basel but we have other Canadian Bank regulations and since I did consulting work for Financial institutions (trusts and credit unions) I know the giant pain in the ass regs.

Our financial system is more regulated then American we have more crap to put with then you do. Then again our Banks didn't collapse nor did they collapse our economy and bailouts were not needed. In fact lots of American financial institutions are owned by Canadian ones they were bought cheap when lots of them collapsed.
TD= Toronto Dominion (Bruins play in what stadium :p)
RBC = Royal Bank of Canada
CIBC = Candian Imperial Bank of Commerce
Scotia = Scotia Bank (Canadian)
Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if you worked for a subsidiary of a Canadian Bank.

I agree...were trying to do some initial planning with vdi and BYOD. Were coming up with all sorts of headaches...but it will eventually come if the "execs" get their way.

Oh yeah with shrinking budgets its happening to me more and more. Its always about the bottom line.

Of course MS introducing VDI licensing on to Windows 8 is another story.

Last edited:
Every time I see this thread I read the title as: Thank You Microsoft for Adding AIDS

there is a simple fix for this, just don't use windows 8, they will add the ads or what ever they want but if they continue to have slow or very little sales of windows 8 they will change it. I'm hoping they don't sale much so that changes will be made. in other words I'm still using windows 7! I don't have any issues with it at all.

there is a simple fix for this, just don't use windows 8, they will add the ads or what ever they want but if they continue to have slow or very little sales of windows 8 they will change it. I'm hoping they don't sale much so that changes will be made. in other words I'm still using windows 7! I don't have any issues with it at all.

I don't think Windows 8.1 is the cure for Windows 8. It could have been if the start button actually had a Windows 7 type menu system but all it does is take you back to Metro. The boot to desktop was a win but the added start button is worthless. They said they did what people were asking for but they did not. They still want to force you to Metro. Smoke and mirrors.

They said they did what people were asking for but they did not.

No they didn't do everything that everyone wanted but they did do a lot. Boot to desk, some configuration of the hot corners, easier access to Shutdown for keyboard and mouse users, better multitasking for Modern apps, better multiple monitor support for Modern apps, independent monitor scaling on the desktop, going directly to Apps instead of the Start Screen, better management of the Start Screen and not automatically dumping tiles on it whenever a program is installed and of course a Start Button.

No, there isn't a Start Menu nor Modern UI off switch and yes, they obviously want people to use the new UI, it would be kind of silly to invest all of this effort in something they didn't want people to use. I understand that people just want the old way and there is logic to providing that in the box but looking at the continued decline of PC sales I really don't think the Start Menu is the answer. Indeed even Mac sales are down by even more than some of the PC vendors even the PC market is down more as whole.

No they didn't do everything that everyone wanted but they did do a lot. Boot to desk, some configuration of the hot corners, easier access to Shutdown for keyboard and mouse users, better multitasking for Modern apps, better multiple monitor support for Modern apps, independent monitor scaling on the desktop, going directly to Apps instead of the Start Screen, better management of the Start Screen and not automatically dumping tiles on it whenever a program is installed and of course a Start Button.

No, there isn't a Start Menu nor Modern UI off switch and yes, they obviously want people to use the new UI, it would be kind of silly to invest all of this effort in something they didn't want people to use. I understand that people just want the old way and there is logic to providing that in the box but looking at the continued decline of PC sales I really don't think the Start Menu is the answer. Indeed even Mac sales are down by even more than some of the PC vendors even the PC market is down more as whole.

for me it is more than just the start button, as this thread has lasted, ads, the cloud. if I wanted a google chrome book I would have bought one, I want a local machine not a thin client, which is why I'm not going to use windows 8. I know I dont have to active skydrive or the ads, but lets be honest why should I want my junk on my machine at home no back doors no cloud no ads just me and my machine. it sucks that all of computing is going this route.

for me it is more than just the start button, as this thread has lasted, ads, the cloud. if I wanted a google chrome book I would have bought one, I want a local machine not a thin client, which is why I'm not going to use windows 8. I know I dont have to active skydrive or the ads, but lets be honest why should I want my junk on my machine at home no back doors no cloud no ads just me and my machine. it sucks that all of computing is going this route.

Also you get to be in the comfort that NSA will look at your shit.

Its kinda silly for MS to assume that users wanted to user Metro.

My problem is Metro Intro and support headaches, I don't mind the start screen but I fucking hate the Charms bar since it works like shit in remote sessions. I also don't like the no stat button. The 5 pixels in the corner is a giant pain in the ass on a remote session especially if your windowed. To top it off Remote connection is so much slower then 7 Metro causes huge amount of lag in RDS.

The world has readily accepted and embraced the notion of ad paid for search and services and connected devices, services, data and apps. Even if one does not like these things, how can these things realistically NOT be a part of Windows if it is to remain relevant in today's world?

Its kinda silly for MS to assume that users wanted to user Metro.

No more silly than thinking that any significant growth in the PC market could be done solely through incremental improvements to the desktop. Whatever one may think of Modern UI, is wasn't change for the sake of change and indeed was prompted by what is now being realized, a significant drop in desktop and laptop demand that's also effecting the Mac.

My problem is Metro Intro and support headaches, I don't mind the start screen but I fucking hate the Charms bar since it works like shit in remote sessions. I also don't like the no stat button. The 5 pixels in the corner is a giant pain in the ass on a remote session especially if your windowed. To top it off Remote connection is so much slower then 7 Metro causes huge amount of lag in RDS.

I can't say I've looked at it to determine if the Modern UI needs more bandwidth remotely to work well. I would guess that it does but I would have no idea how much. I routinely remote into Windows 8 machines over my LTE connections and using the desktop Windows 8 remote desktop client in full screen don't have any issues with it, even remotely on a tablet. Which frankly that's kind of cool that a tablet UI works at all remotely.

I fucking hate the Charms bar since it works like shit in remote sessions.
Win + C.

I can appreciate that people don't like a lot of these changes, as many of them are a poor fit on the desktop. But Christ, man: fucking adapt.

The world has readily accepted and embraced the notion of ad paid for search and services and connected devices, services, data and apps. Even if one does not like these things, how can these things realistically NOT be a part of Windows if it is to remain relevant in today's world?

I'm in the world and I haven't accepted it, when you write things like this the first things that pops into my head is this, that means you will jump off the cliff into broken glass along with everyone else. it is stupid, not everyone knows they are being monitored at least until the NSA thing broke out. I want control of the things I PAY FOR, I don't want to feel like Im leasing it. I will go linux. not this crap. not andriod not microsoft.

I'm in the world and I haven't accepted it, when you write things like this the first things that pops into my head is this, that means you will jump off the cliff into broken glass along with everyone else. it is stupid, not everyone knows they are being monitored at least until the NSA thing broke out. I want control of the things I PAY FOR, I don't want to feel like Im leasing it. I will go linux. not this crap. not andriod not microsoft.

Well people pay good money for smart phones and tablets and use these things which I hardly would equate with jumping off a cliff. And what if people are being monitored? Who has stopped using their phones or social networking?

Again, all I am saying is that if you have objections to certain things then you have them. But Microsoft can't just ignored technologies that are being embraced around the globe. "Windows will focus on being a local client OS and not connect into the web or services because of NSA spying and advertising." How is that even remotely plausible?

Win + C.

I can appreciate that people don't like a lot of these changes, as many of them are a poor fit on the desktop. But Christ, man: fucking adapt.

Yeah windows +C on a android tablet ? how? Windowed RDP sessions ? doesn't work only in full screen mode.

Well people pay good money for smart phones and tablets and use these things which I hardly would equate with jumping off a cliff. And what if people are being monitored? Who has stopped using their phones or social networking?
Everyone I talk doesn't know that google is data mining people, those that educate don't care. but look at those using other phones, android doesn't have the market cornered. they do have 51% of it if I speak to 10 people at work 2 out of those 10 know and don't care, the other 8 don't know what is going on. they see the commercial and by in. thats jumping off the cliff without knowing what is below you. as for monitoring no one knew until the news broke it, and people object to it.

Again, all I am saying is that if you have objections to certain things then you have them. But Microsoft can't just ignored technologies that are being embraced around the globe. "Windows will focus on being a local client OS and not connect into the web or services because of NSA spying and advertising." How is that even remotely plausible?
Mircosoft can make something better and do a better job of marketing it instead of buying in like zombies to things. saying, everyone is doing we should" thats not leadership, that just being a follower, step up lead show everyone why you are better, that again it is jumping off the cliff with everyone, hell if your kid came to you and said, everyone in the globe is dropping acid im going to drop acid" are you going to give him money to do it or educate him on why that isn't a smart move to do, to step up and be a leader. this everyone is in the globe is doing it is so lazy.

Yeah windows +C on a android tablet ? how? Windowed RDP sessions ? doesn't work only in full screen mode.

The desktop as a whole in Windows isn't designed to run in a non-full screen window, the Modern UI isn't the only issue. You issue seems to have more to do with the client. The Modern UI client has app bar commands to control the keyboard, charms, etc. There's no reason why an Android client can't provide the necessary commands in the UI.

The desktop as a whole in Windows isn't designed to run in a non-full screen window, the Modern UI isn't the only issue. You issue seems to have more to do with the client. The Modern UI client has app bar commands to control the keyboard, charms, etc. There's no reason why an Android client can't provide the necessary commands in the UI.

I am using the Microsoft Client on my Desktop! MS is the developer of both pieces of software. So they are at fault not I nor how I use it. This is where I do most of my work. I work in Windows because I have to.

Again your in USA LTE speeds are much different then up here in Canada our 3g is pathetic speeds, some of the remote location are like dialup. RDS doesn't scale worth shit with metro. I have 2012 server and they have to be managed from Windows 8 and anytime you go to metro it lags like shit clasic shell makes it much more bearable.

Everyone I talk doesn't know that google is data mining people, those that do your right don't care. but look at those using other phones, android doesn't have the market cornered. they do have 51% of it if I speak to 10 people at work 2 out of those 10 know and don't care, the other 8 don't know what is going on. they see the commercial and by in. thats jumping off the cliff without knowing what is below you. as for monitoring no one knew until the news broke it, and people object to it.

There are any number of things in out modern society that are at least as objectionable and perhaps far more dangerous than internet ads and spying. Look at how our food is produced and what can happen there: http://www.sacbee.com/2013/07/11/5560680/devastating-virus-hits-hog-farms.html

Humanity has always been willing to trade for convenience, even when the cost of that trade was far from certain. Ok, let's stop doing the ads, does that mean we all still get free Facebook and Google and cheap Android phones? Ok. let's stop spying, does that mean we can rest easy that no one out there is trying to put together a nuclear bomb? Ok, let's stop burning oil? Heck, there's no such thing as climate change.

At the end of the day, almost all of us are willing to look the other way for some convenience or protection.

Mircosoft can make something better and do a better job of marketing it instead of buying in like zombies to things. saying, everyone is doing we should" thats not leadership, that just being a follower, step up lead show everyone why you are better, that again it is jumping off the cliff with everyone, hell if your kid came to you and said, everyone in the globe is dropping acid im going to drop acid" are you going to give him money to do it or educate him on why that isn't a smart move to do, to step up and be a leader. this everyone is in the globe is doing it is so lazy.

So what should Microsoft do then? If Microsoft only made Windows better and marketed it better that they could ignore the cloud and the web and services and just keep Windows a client only OS like it was from the beginning? Leadership and innovation don't happen in a vacuum.

I am using the Microsoft Client on my Desktop! MS is the developer of both pieces of software. So they are at fault not I nor how I use it. This is where I do most of my work. I work in Windows because I have to.

Full screen the remote clients in Windows 8, both desktop and Modern, work well with both keyboards and mice and touch when using Modern apps.

Again your in USA LTE speeds are much different then up here in Canada our 3g is pathetic speeds, some of the remote location are like dialup. RDS doesn't scale worth shit with metro. I have 2012 server and they have to be managed from Windows 8 and anytime you go to metro it lags like shit clasic shell makes it much more bearable.

Fair enough, I've not touched a dialup connection in 8 years. The first phone I had with broadband was 56k and I did try remoting with it as a tether with good old Windows Mobile, not at all a great experience.

There are any number of things in out modern society that are at least as objectionable and perhaps far more dangerous than internet ads and spying. Look at how our food is produced and what can happen there: http://www.sacbee.com/2013/07/11/5560680/devastating-virus-hits-hog-farms.html

Humanity has always been willing to trade for convenience, even when the cost of that trade was far from certain. Ok, let's stop doing the ads, does that mean we all still get free Facebook and Google and cheap Android phones? Ok. let's stop spying, does that mean we can rest easy that no one out there is trying to put together a nuclear bomb? Ok, let's stop burning oil? Heck, there's no such thing as climate change.

At the end of the day, almost all of us are willing to look the other way for some convenience or protection.
once again you make my point, can you say free range? while everyone is jumping off the cliff there is a small amount of people not buying into the crap you spouse!

So what should Microsoft do then? If Microsoft only made Windows better and marketed it better that they could ignore the cloud and the web and services and just keep Windows a client only OS like it was from the beginning? Leadership and innovation don't happen in a vacuum.
you simply give in, man what a waste, all that talent and the best you can come with is do what everyone else is doing. simple external hard drive (Iomega, or Western d) provide the same cloud base you get from amazon or google. why not pump that the fact you have more control over your content and not allowing google employees shift through your pictures or songs picture and chose what they want or like or will sell and don't say that doesn't happen cause there have been articles written and that very issue. best features without changing the feel or look of the desktop BUT giving the metro look to the phones and tablets, laptops would could have either, create a simple, NOT REMOTE DESKTOP, BUT access to your external from your phone or tablet. I'm able to do it without signing up for anything with my dvd player. or my ipad.

once again you make my point, can you say free range? while everyone is jumping off the cliff there is a small amount of people not buying into the crap you spouse!

Fair enough. My only point is that there are economic matters here to consider and convenience and price are things nearly everyone makes tradeoffs for.

create a simple, NOT REMOTE DESKTOP, BUT access to your external from your phone or tablet. I'm able to do it without signing up for anything with my dvd player. or my ipad.

There are any number of ways to do this today. I guess I could see some appeal to something like a personal cloud. I don't think it would mean much in terms of sales of Windows but could be nice addition.

Fair enough. My only point is that there are economic matters here to consider and convenience and price are things nearly everyone makes tradeoffs for.

There are any number of ways to do this today. I guess I could see some appeal to something like a personal cloud. I don't think it would mean much in terms of sales of Windows but could be nice addition.
it could be a cash cow for someone or a company, all they need to do is market it right. you use our phones our tablet connected to your computer at home, hell the computer can act as the server. i don't know people kicking around idea would be able to come up with the right idea or way to do this. one company sells all the products to do it and bam, the cash comes following in.

Wow, thats scraping a new low. Are you seriously defending Microsoft's trojan-horsing of obnoxious ads into the update MS knows that most owners of Windows 8 - people that paid as much as $200 for an *upgrade* copy - will update to sight unseen?

And how is introducing ads into a platform people already paid hundreds for ensuring Microsoft "remains relevant in today's world", and why is it so important to you personally that you are impassioned to enough to spend all day monitoring and defending this systematic erosion of a once great platform?

MS makes half a trillion just coasting on momentum of pre-8, pre-Metro products. What is their hurry to alienate customers and hemorrhage mind share further while everything Metro based hasn't taken root and widely rejected except for captive W8 PC sales? This is not the way to warm people to a new platform update they're already leery about.

Last edited:
Good god, thats scraping a new low. Are you seriously defending Microsoft's trojan-horsing of obnoxious ads into the update MS knows that most owners of Windows 8 - people that paid as much as $200 for an *upgrade* copy - will update to sight unseen?

And how is introducing ads into a platform people already paid hundreds for ensuring Microsoft "remains relevant in today's world", and why is it so important to you personally that you are impassioned to enough to spend all day monitoring and defending this kind of erosion of a once great platform? No offense im just baffled, this stupes even lower than the usual kneejerk white knighting.

I would like to know the same. I've seen people that are paid a ton of cash at PR firms not able to put such a positive spin on some of the crap that MS has done lately. Yet, Heatless can do it. I'll defend Microsoft for their good ideas, but the bad ones need to be called out. Otherwise, if there is no resistance or feedback, they think they are all good and you end up with a lot of bad ideas...

So where is the OFF switch to refuse aids?

We have a saying in my house - no buttfuck jokes.

But, on topic - I wonder if we'll see another program similar to XP Anti-Spy that has options for turning off certain tracking, call home, ads and other things. Sure, you can do that with registry edits, but running a quick and easy program did save a lot of time.

I think consumers have been fairly vocal about this stuff in the past and currently. Even more so lately with the NSA and rumors (that Microsoft denies) that they have backdoors. Consumers may be more leary of going with something with targeted ads on Windows and Xbox One.

Also, with these ads. More than likely they will be turned off via GPO in the enterprise. So, this would be mainly targeted to the home consumer.

I don't know. No one really likes ads, but they support a lot of great, otherwise free services. Windows is a paid service. If we start putting in ads in fundamental parts of the OS, then it devalues the OS itself. I am concerned about any exploits it opens as well. Malicious ads, etc.. People hate pop-ups? Let's add our own ads in Windows and Xbox dashboard!

Wow, thats scraping a new low. Are you seriously defending Microsoft's trojan-horsing of obnoxious ads into the update MS knows that most owners of Windows 8 - people that paid as much as $200 for an *upgrade* copy - will update to sight unseen?

And how is introducing ads into a platform people already paid hundreds for ensuring Microsoft "remains relevant in today's world", and why is it so important to you personally that you are impassioned to enough to spend all day monitoring and defending this systematic erosion of a once great platform?

MS makes half a trillion just coasting on momentum of pre-8, pre-Metro products. What is their hurry to alienate customers and hemorrhage mind share further while everything Metro based hasn't taken root and widely rejected except for captive W8 PC sales? This is not the way to warm people to a new platform update they're already leery about.

First of all, I think I'm the only one here that's actually used this. So I'm more describing it that defending it. One of the first things I did mention about this that it can be turned off:

Screenshot%20(50)%201.png

Less complicated than changing a desktop background, one switch and the whole thing can be disabled.

Secondly, it's pretty obvious that this is web search if you come across a Search Hero:

Screenshot%20(52).png

It shows where the data came from quite clearly and certainly this isn't something that came from anyone's personal data. And the ads present themselves as they would in a browser:

Screenshot%20(29)%201.png

So if one doesn't like it is easily disabled. There's nothing hidden or sneaky about if from the standpoint that it is obviously doing web searches, sharing information and presenting ad links, though the ad links are pretty rare from what I've seen.

Some will certainly have their objection to this but don't go around saying that it's overtly sneaky because it most certainly isn't, you'd have to be brain dead not to know it's doing web searches and the Search Settings lays out clearly what's going on. My point with this is that people by the millions are using search and services and sharing personal data and receiving ads by the metric ton today and there simply isn't the level of outrage about it that many around here have. For better or for worse these technologies are widely used and embraced. If you hate them and don't like them fine. But it's dishonest to act as though there's anything going on here that many are not already subjecting themselves to and they don't have a problem with it.

But, on topic - I wonder if we'll see another program similar to XP Anti-Spy that has options for turning off certain tracking, call home, ads and other things. Sure, you can do that with registry edits, but running a quick and easy program did save a lot of time.

I'm glad to see that you've read literally none of the thread still. If you would have bothered to read literally any of the thread, you'd know that the ads are part of Bing, not Windows, so to turn off the ads, you need only turn off Bing search integration, which can be done trivially in the search settings. No registry edits needed.

I am concerned about any exploits it opens as well. Malicious ads, etc.. People hate pop-ups? Let's add our own ads in Windows and Xbox dashboard!

Why don't you do the world a favor and learn at least something about the thing you're talking about before you start talking about it? You clearly haven't read anything about the ads, because they're not ads in the 'flash banner ad' sense. They're ads in the "Sponsored search result', sense, much like how Google and Bing inline sponsored results. These are simply snippets of text with a hyperlink, not ActiveX controls that can be exploited to run arbitrary code. If you're concerned about security threats from this, you should be concerned about using Google as well.

Back