Thank You Microsoft for Adding ADS

I always wanted ads on my Desktop..

Cool, because between web sites and web searches and email and trailware, etc., ads have been on desktops forever. If one doesn't like the integrated search it's easily disabled.

Cool, because between web sites and web searches and email and trailware, etc., ads have been on desktops forever. If one doesn't like the integrated search it's easily disabled.

I guess you can't differentiate between Choice or No Choice..

I see no Ads on my desktop. Especially when I search my computer.

How about Disabled by Default ? I think that's better.

I guess you can't differentiate between Choice or No Choice..

Since there's a choice as to whether one wants local or integrated search I obviously do understand this particular choice.

I see no Ads on my desktop. Especially when I search my computer.

How about Disabled by Default ? I think that's better.

The choice is does one want local search or integrated search. My guess is that most people do far more web searching these days than on local content. If one is only interested in local content there is a search box in the File Explorer and the options there are actually much nicer than in 7, filtering by type, size, date modified, etc. are all nicely displayed and discoverable in the ribbon.

It's bizarre how many people talk about the lack of choice in 8 and yet there's tons of choice and options there that people don't seem to ever notice.

Since there's a choice as to whether one wants local or integrated search I obviously do understand this particular choice.

The choice is does one want local search or integrated search. My guess is that most people do far more web searching these days than on local content. If one is only interested in local content there is a search box in the File Explorer and the options there are actually much nicer than in 7, filtering by type, size, date modified, etc. are all nicely displayed and discoverable in the ribbon.

It's bizarre how many people talk about the lack of choice in 8 and yet there's tons of choice and options there that people don't seem to ever notice.

That's mighty assumption of searches. This is beyond arrogant. I work with users everyday and 99% of the time they are looking on local resource or on a file server.

That's mighty assumption of searches. This is beyond arrogant. I work with users everyday and 99% of the time they are looking on local resource or on a file server.

You have an odd definition of arrogant. I think it's safe to say that 99% of the time when people are conducting a search even on a PC it's probably not for a local file.

Well, they already had the ads for those stupid full-screen apps when Windows 8 first released so this is hardly surprising. Given that Microsoft is moving towards a subscription-based model I wouldn't be surprised to see them continue to increase the ads in the OS.

In that case I hope MS will start giving away the Operating system for free. They took out more and more features out of windows now they are data mining you and selling that info to whom ever. So they are making profits on you just installing the OS.
I already know an OS like that its called Android and its free.

In that case I hope MS will start giving away the Operating system for free. They took out more and more features out of windows now they are data mining you and selling that info to whom ever. So they are making profits on you just installing the OS.
I already know an OS like that its called Android and its free.

It wouldn't surprise me to see the 'basic' version of Windows offered free in the near future. You just have to put up with even more ads than are already present in the current version of Windows.

Well, they already had the ads for those stupid full-screen apps when Windows 8 first released so this is hardly surprising. Given that Microsoft is moving towards a subscription-based model I wouldn't be surprised to see them continue to increase the ads in the OS.

Microsoft has made no secrete that it want's to be a "devices and services" company and obviously subscriptions and ads are part of that. The world has been saying for a long time that Microsoft didn't have a future in selling software, and while that was overhyped I do think that selling software directly is becoming harder to do.

Windows 8 is immune to criticism.

Seriously, his "defend the hive!" posts are just getting ridiculous.

Ok, the ads suck. This can disabled and local searches can be done from File Explorer. Is presenting facts in discussions of Windows 8 not allowed or is the only thing that's not "defending the hive" negative hype?

Microsoft has made no secrete that it want's to be a "devices and services" company and obviously subscriptions and ads are part of that. The world has been saying for a long time that Microsoft didn't have a future in selling software, and while that was overhyped I do think that selling software directly is becoming harder to do.

Uhm No it isn't.. You work for a Mega Bank they must have bought Millions of dollars in software and licensing. This push is not for the Corporate environment and it has never been so, they are entrenched in this market and its highly unlikely they will ever get displaced.. MS finally saw that people could make money on the consumer and now they are showing up to the party late and dictating the rules, the two decades of freedom people have had on the PC is being met with a lot of negative feedback because MS wants to take those freedoms away.

MS finally saw that people could make money on the consumer and now they are showing up to the party late and dictating the rules, the two decades of freedom people have had on the PC is being met with a lot of negative feedback because MS wants to take those freedoms away.

Like you said, they showed up to the party late so Microsoft isn't dictating the rules, they are simply going by the playbook of others with their own spin. But what freedom has Microsoft taken away as far as the desktop is concerned? The Start Menu? Ok, you can go into the Windows Store now, search for "start menu" and look, most of the popular Start Menu replacements are listed, free and paid.

I get that some people just want a conventional desktop OS with none of the Metro stuff. Microsoft get's that too. But even if Microsoft stuck to that path and split out their tablet and touch offerings what would be the future of that desktop only OS? Desktop OSes aren't doing that great these days, even Mac sales were down the last two quarters. So just keeping a conventional desktop OS with just incremental improvements every three years or so because that's just going to set the world on fire.

hahaha those fucking little monkeys :p first they tried to be apple, now is google huh? oh my, i can see where this is going :p

mIcrOoOsooOft, ima mooongolooooiiiid heheheh!

Really? You're telling us that on average, the users will search for a file on their computer 99 times before they'll open up google or bing to search for something? Or did you simply misread his post?

Windows 8 is immune to criticism.

Seriously, his "defend the hive!" posts are just getting ridiculous.

There's valid criticism to be made. Sadly, all of that criticism is completely drowned out by people whining about things that aren't real problems. In this case, there is literally nothing for people to complain about, because all of this new functionality can be completely disabled. Don't like having ads when you search? Turn off smart search.

Last edited:
There's valid criticism to be made. Sadly, all of that criticism is completely drowned out by people whining about things that aren't real problems. In this case, there is literally nothing for people to complain about, because all of this new functionality can be completely disabled. Don't like having ads when you search? Turn off smart search.
argle bargle

"I'm not saying windows 8 has no problems

But windows 8 has no problems"

argle bargle

It really must not have any actual problems, if all anybody complains about is Microsoft's choice of default settings. I feel bad for the miniscule number of people who are actually affected by real problems, because they'll never be heard. Too many other people are complaining about 'problems' they could easily solve themselves.

Ads don't belong as a part of an operating system. Period. That is for the realm of applications. Choice, no choice - doesn't matter.

Win7 for games, and doing a good job learning arch linux for everything else. The writing is on the wall folks...

argle bargle

It really must not have any actual problems, if all anybody complains about is Microsoft's choice of default settings. I feel bad for the miniscule number of people who are actually affected by real problems, because they'll never be heard. Too many other people are complaining about 'problems' they could easily solve themselves.

There have been plenty of people who like and use Windows 8 that have forever and a day mentioned SPECIFIC problems with it that needed to be addressed. Three specific issues in 8 that I have mentioned many, many times before and plenty of others as well:

1. Modern app multiple monitor support isn't there
2. Modern apps need better multitasking
3. Start Screen hard to manage as everything that gets installed is automatically added to the Start Screen

Lo and behold, all of these issues were addressed in 8.1. And there were plenty of other items that I didn't think were a big deal like booting to the desktop and the shutdown controls location and Start Button but those have been addressed as well. No Start Menu and I know that's a big deal to some though I think 8.1 makes it less of an issue. But more can be and needs to be done. For instance, though I didn't think booting to the desktop was a big deal, one option I would like to see is returning to the desktop after closing a Modern app if it's in full screen instead of the Start Screen.

People that like 8 see plenty of issues with it, probably more than the people that are constantly bashing it. But many of us are simply trying to be factual, rational and specific in our critique, which tends to be much more helpful to a software developer than saying stuff sucks 24/7.

Ads don't belong as a part of an operating system. Period. That is for the realm of applications. Choice, no choice - doesn't matter.

Win7 for games, and doing a good job learning arch linux for everything else. The writing is on the wall folks...

Yes the writing is on the walls. I think of all the people that proclaim Linux the #1 OS in the world because of Android, an OS given away free with a large ecosystem because of ADVERTISING! So complain about the ads and forget the benefits.

Yes the writing is on the walls. I think of all the people that proclaim Linux the #1 OS in the world because of Android, an OS given away free with a large ecosystem because of ADVERTISING! So complain about the ads and forget the benefits.

I dunno dude - you've been a pretty staunch supporter of Microsoft of late, and I always respected that you've had a healthy dose of realism about it (not fanboi-ish). But I don't know how anyone can support advertisements in a PAID operating system with a straight face. If you're going to give me the OS for free or a dramatically reduced price and THEN shove ads in my face - that's fine. But this is having your cake and eating it too.

Heck, they are free to do whatever they want. But I think Microsoft has really been pushing the limits of their customer's good graces this past year - and I think it's going to hurt them.

Have to admit, to even include it is a bit of insult for a paid product. Can disable it, sure, but again, this is something that has been paid for.

I dunno dude - you've been a pretty staunch supporter of Microsoft of late, and I always respected that you've had a healthy dose of realism about it (not fanboi-ish). But I don't know how anyone can support advertisements in a PAID operating system with a straight face. If you're going to give me the OS for free or a dramatically reduced price and THEN shove ads in my face - that's fine. But this is having your cake and eating it too.

Heck, they are free to do whatever they want. But I think Microsoft has really been pushing the limits of their customer's good graces this past year - and I think it's going to hurt them.

The ads come from web searches and we get ads in web searches without explicit blocking today, even in a paid OS. If there were no way to disable the integrated search then yes, I'd have a problem. I've been using the integrated search in the 8.1 Preview and I honestly think that average people are going to like it. Of course the ads aren't in there but as long as they are not all over the place like web searches are in a browser today, I doubt the average person is going to care.

It's pretty obvious that no one really looked at this before commenting in this thread, myself included. This is actually working in the Preview and all it does is show the same ad you would see in a Bing search in a web browser, often the same ad will be in a Google search as well. And it's actually content that's completely relevant to the search. For instance search on "ford" and wow, there's an ad link to www.ford.com, how completely invasive and irrelevant.

It's pretty obvious that no one really looked at this before commenting in this thread, myself included. This is actually working in the Preview and all it does is show the same ad you would see in a Bing search in a web browser, often the same ad will be in a Google search as well. And it's actually content that's completely relevant to the search. For instance search on "ford" and wow, there's an ad link to www.ford.com, how completely invasive and irrelevant.

Wow.. Where do you get that Microsoft flavored Kool-Aid that you drink?

I actually thought that ADS meant active directory service, which I immediately was wondering why someone was praising MS for a service that has been available on the server side for a long time.

On topic, I won't accept ads when forced. MS is becoming a true pain in the ass with their decisions as of late.

I'm sick of MS shoving crap down our throats that we have to turn off and yet they can't give us a simple start menu back to turn back on? Bullshit...

Wow.. Where do you get that Microsoft flavored Kool-Aid that you drink?

If you would have read his post where he mentioned that the ads were the exact same ads you would see if you opened up bing in a browser, you'd know exactly where he gets that koolaid.

But apparently reading was shipped away around the same time college students started refusing to learn pointer arithmetic. Apparently reading the thread title constitutes 'having read the thread', now.

This last year has been an amazing pile of shit for Microsoft. First they ship a touch inspired UI to keyboard and mouse users, then they bloat a console full of DRM and try to slip that one past us, then they cancel Technet. Plus, many of these decisions they rescind several parts of it. Yes it means that they listen to customer feedback but it also shows a complete lack of confidence in their designers. Has any other company in history, other than Coke, pulled such major features due to bitching?

The absolute lack of direction and leadership at Microsoft is obvious.

I defended Vista and thought Microsoft finally "got it" when they shipped 7. While I don't like 360 Microsoft has done a lot of great things with it. But now Microsoft's bad product designs are snowballing in my opinion. I'm really starting to despise and hate this company. Not until the past few months have I ever thought I would consider Apple devices or Chromebooks and other competing devices, but I simply cannot ignore them any longer. Microsoft is forcing my hand to look at their competitors.

This last year has been an amazing pile of shit for Microsoft. First they ship a touch inspired UI to keyboard and mouse users, then they bloat a console full of DRM and try to slip that one past us, then they cancel Technet. Plus, many of these decisions they rescind several parts of it. Yes it means that they listen to customer feedback but it also shows a complete lack of confidence in their designers. Has any other company in history, other than Coke, pulled such major features due to bitching?

The absolute lack of direction and leadership at Microsoft is obvious.

I guess investors feel a little differently with Microsoft's stock at five year highs. That's not to say that they aren't having plenty of issues, but they aren't nearly the deal breakers I think that many are making them out to be.

People have been saying for over a decade now that Microsoft's primary monetization model, software sales, was going to get cannibalized by open source and free software solutions. It hasn't quite panned out that way but I do believe that it is getting harder to sell software, particularly in the mobile space, a market that gets a great deal of its money from advertising.

There's a lot of critiquing going on of Microsoft in tech threads these days and I wonder what would these people map out as Microsoft's business strategy going forward. I don't think I've heard anything that be obviously better than the approach they are taking. Metro off switch, separate tablet and desktop OS, etc. are all perfectly valid ideas but they also entail a certain amount of risk as well, particularly when you have a dominate product like desktop Windows that's very unlikely to ever face serious competition in light of it's nearly two decades of near absolute dominance and the fast emergence of mobile.

If you would have read his post where he mentioned that the ads were the exact same ads you would see if you opened up bing in a browser, you'd know exactly where he gets that koolaid.

But apparently reading was shipped away around the same time college students started refusing to learn pointer arithmetic. Apparently reading the thread title constitutes 'having read the thread', now.

Millions of people see inline search ads from Google and Bing everyday and the vast majority never give it a second thought, generally the inline ads are actually relevant results. I don't understand why one would rage about seeing the same ads in an integrated search which is optional but then not probably even notice or care about the same ads in search results in web browser.

I know he will never confirm this but I now honestly think that heat works for Microsoft or a company/division that is financially supported by Microsoft.

Millions of people see inline search ads from Google and Bing everyday and the vast majority never give it a second thought, generally the inline ads are actually relevant results. I don't understand why one would rage about seeing the same ads in an integrated search which is optional but then not probably even notice or care about the same ads in search results in web browser.

I don't pay to use their search engine. I pay to use the OS, for all the hardware the OS is running on it, and for the internet the ads are downloading over.

Now, it this is leading towards Windows being free for consumers...

I know he will never confirm this but I now honestly think that heat works for Microsoft or a company/division that is financially supported by Microsoft.

If I did, as I've explained many times, I wouldn't waste the effort in a place like this. People that make sweeping and generalized judgments about things they've never tried are unlikely persuadable with rational arguments.

I don't pay to use their search engine. I pay to use the OS, for all the hardware the OS is running on it, and for the internet the ads are downloading over.

Now, it this is leading towards Windows being free for consumers...

+1. Except that I block almost 90% of all ads and I am sure most enthusiasts do as well.
If the ads are built in it will be much more difficult to stop them.

+1. Except that I block almost 90% of all ads and I am sure most enthusiasts do as well.
If the ads are built in it will be much more difficult to stop them.

It doesn't necessarily make sense to block ads in search results particularly if you're doing searches for products and services as you could be blocking exactly what you're try to find.

Back