Thank You Microsoft for Adding ADS

Wow, thats scraping a new low. Are you seriously defending Microsoft's trojan-horsing of obnoxious ads into the update MS knows that most owners of Windows 8 - people that paid as much as $200 for an *upgrade* copy - will update to sight unseen?

And how is introducing ads into a platform people already paid hundreds for ensuring Microsoft "remains relevant in today's world", and why is it so important to you personally that you are impassioned to enough to spend all day monitoring and defending this systematic erosion of a once great platform?

MS makes half a trillion just coasting on momentum of pre-8, pre-Metro products. What is their hurry to alienate customers and hemorrhage mind share further while everything Metro based hasn't taken root and widely rejected except for captive W8 PC sales? This is not the way to warm people to a new platform update they're already leery about.

You can count the amount of people who paid "hundreds" for windows 8 onb a single hand... 90% of windows 8 users didnt pay a single cent for it the OEM who made the machine they bought did, a good chunck of us got it at $15.

This notion that so many people are paying $200 for windows is incredibly ignorant and just plain wrong.

You can count the amount of people who paid "hundreds" for windows 8 onb a single hand... 90% of windows 8 users didnt pay a single cent for it the OEM who made the machine they bought did, a good chunck of us got it at $15.

This notion that so many people are paying $200 for windows is incredibly ignorant and just plain wrong.

Reading comprehension. Where did I say so many people paid $200 ? People paid upwards of $200 for an upgrade. That means there were some, we don't know how many and it doesn't really matter. Paid. Software.

Also, "90% didn't pay a cent?" Invented stat pulled out of ass. Nobody got it "free" with a new PC. MS charges OEM's a license fee so it was baked into the cost of the PC/laptop.

The bottom line is until Windows is available for a free download then the notion of a default opted-in ad system- especially when its scraping your offline data - is ludicrous and comparisons to Google and other free ad-supported services is a little bizarre.

Last edited:
So where is the OFF switch to refuse aids?

First of all, I think I'm the only one here that's actually used this. So I'm more describing it that defending it. One of the first things I did mention about this that it can be turned off.

I have systems running builds newer than the Preview build, but I haven't had much time to test. Thanks for showing me the kill switch (although I will probably leave it on).

The bottom line is until Windows is available for a free download then the notion of a default opted-in ad system- especially when its scraping your offline data - is ludicrous and comparisons to Google and other free ad-supported services is a little bizarre.

You talk about me defending Microsoft but yet here again is something that isn't true. No local content is being sent in the integrated search, just the search terms along with what level of privacy you set for the data in a Microsoft account. You can choose to share most of that data along with location or share no personal information.

Intentionally ignore the point why dontcha. If I'm searching my local files I don't want results from the net, and if I want to search the net I'll use Google rather than a desperate imitator that tries to be identical all the way to the layout and color scheme.

Helping MS collect data points valuable to advertisers is not my burden and not what I signed up for when buying a windows license. fact they're defaulting to opted-in after the 8.1 update is what I have the biggest problem with.

Creating a switch that would allow customers to enable it to be one step closer to advertisers would be one thing, but bringing advertisers one step closer to customers by default is quite another, especially when MS knows many people arent savvy enough to dig into settings switches or won't bother.

Last edited:
Intentionally ignore the point why dontcha. If I'm searching my local files I don't want results from the net, and if I want to search the net I'll use Google rather than a desperate imitator that tries to be identical all the way to the layout and color scheme.

I'm not ignoring your point, how could I have when one of the first things I said is that this can be turned off and it's easier than changing the desktop background. One switch to "Off", done. It could be changeling to people who can't turn off lights however.

Helping MS collect data points valuable to advertisers is not my burden and not what I signed up for when buying a windows license. fact they're defaulting to opted-in after the 8.1 update is what I have the biggest problem with.

Creating a switch that would allow customers to enable it to be one step closer to advertisers would be one thing, but bringing advertisers one step closer to customers by default is quite another, especially when MS knows many people arent savvy enough to dig into settings switches or won't bother.

Turn it off if it means that much to you. Choice, what a wonderful thing unless the default choice is what you decree. Why are you forcing your default choice on everyone?

This is getting insane. Microsoft doesn't offer enough choice! Ok, but when they do offer a choice the default choice is wrong! When ok the default choice is fine but then why is it not default choice if I change it to another choice?

Over time I think it becomes clear why Microsoft doesn't expend certain energies. because it's obvious that those who have problems can't be satisfied with the overall idea. Just keep it like it's been for 20 years. That to many around here really is the path forward.

Last edited:

...Then turn off search integration.

Do you have a source confirming that Microsoft is collecting additional information beyond what is collected from a Bing search and providing this data directly to ad providers?

Microsoft isn't bringing ads closer...They're bringing web searches closer, and web searches come with ads. Nothing different is being done that isn't being done when a user opens up a browser and does the same search.

Do you have a source confirming that Microsoft is collecting additional information beyond what is collected from a Bing search and providing this data directly to ad providers?

Microsoft isn't bringing ads closer...They're bringing web searches closer, and web searches come with ads. Nothing different is being done that isn't being done when a user opens up a browser

Yeah and his name is David Pann. And he isnt just admitting to it he's bragging about it.

Today, Microsoft said its advertisers will be able to target users not just on Web search results pages but directly inside Windows Smart Search. David Pann, general manager of Microsoft’s Search Advertising Group, said in an interview that advertisers don’t have to do additional setup to participate. The Smart Search ads will feature a preview of the websites the ad will send people to, as well as click-to-call info and site links, which are additional links under the main result that direct users deeper into a website to the most likely page they might want.

"The goal", Pann says, "is to give advertisers access to consumers across a broader variety of their daily activities, not just when they’re overtly conducting a search. We want to get advertisers one click closer to consumers,” he says. "That's an extension of Microsoft’s goal to differentiate itself from Google by touting “task completion” rather than a list of results..."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/roberthof/2013/07/02/microsoft-to-add-bing-ads-to-windows-8-1-search/

Keep drinking the koolaid

Yeah and his name is David Pann. And he isnt just admitting to it he's bragging about it.

Nope. Go back and read that article. Nowhere does he say they're gathering information on anything other than your web searches from within the Windows search. They're not monitoring anything they wouldn't have access to if you did all your web searches in a browser.

Sorry, but this is down to reading comprehension. What the article is saying and what you seem to be taking away from it are two completely different things.

Nice try. But not interested in going in semantics circles all day. Nowhere did I say MS is providing data directly to advertisers. I said collecting data valuable to advertises.

Bottom line: when people that haven't disabled this default "windows smart search" attempt to search for a local file, that search is transmitted to Microsoft. yes? no?

Last edited:
Nice try. But not interested in going in semantics circles all day.

True or false: when people that haven't disabled this default "windows smart search" attempt to search for a local file, that search is transmitted to Microsoft. yes? no?

Local searches are not transmitted to Microsoft, even if search integration is on.

Either you're not reading the thread or just being flat out being dishonest. Getting to web searches faster is clearly a part of this and I've REPEATEDLY in this thread made the point that an advantage of this is simply being able to hit the Windows key and search the web without going to a web browser. You want to sit there and act like you pointed out something and use the tired koolaid reference when it's all been pointed out before your "revelation", just like how easy it is to turn this off.

This is becoming nonsense. People bitch and moan about the number of clicks and key presses it takes to off a computer but OMG, reducing the complexity to getting to a web search is evil, it must always take more steps and break workflow because, OMG web search is paid for by ADS! It's just becoming a bunch of hypocritical nonsense. Turning off a computer must take minimal steps, but one of the most common tasks in computing, web searches, that fine take more steps because of advertising. Unless of course I get free web search since I paid $50 bucks for an OS that I'll use for 5 or more years. That should cover the cost of everything I do on my computer forever!

Last edited:
Bottom line: when people that haven't disabled this default "windows smart search" attempt to search for a local file, that search is transmitted to Microsoft. yes? no?

The search terms obviously have to go to the search engine to do an integrated search since an integrated search is both local and web, I and Dogs have pointed this out literally a dozen times in this thread. Why are people fixed on the beyond obvious? ? Don't like it turn it off. But no! The default should be local files, because gee, people will get confused when the searches are clearly web searches. How will they know how to turn this off. OMG, it's not just like Windows 3.1! But wait, Windows 8 is just like Windows 3.1 because Metro is just like Windows 3.1. And AOL! So, never mind, it's all good. Windows 8 is just Windows 3.1 and like Windows has always been, just with ads that no one can figure how to turn off because, you know, Windows 8 is just like Windows 3.1.

The search terms obviously have to go to the search engine to do an integrated search since an integrated search is both local and web, I and Dogs have pointed this out literally a dozen times in this thread. Why are people fixed on the beyond obvious? ? Don't like it turn it off. But no! The default should be local files, because gee, people will get confused when the searches are clearly web searches. How will they know how to turn this off. OMG, it's not just like Windows 3.1! But wait, Windows 8 is just like Windows 3.1 because Metro is just like Windows 3.1. And AOL! So, never mind, it's all good. Windows 8 is just Windows 3.1 and like Windows has always been, just with ads that no one can figure how to turn off because, you know, Windows 8 is just like Windows 3.1.

You just don't get it. The feature should be disabled by default or MS should have a giant Notice we are collecting your search criteria. This feature is borderline spyware built into the OS. If people wanted this then they should make it would you like to enable the feature rather hidden away not notifying you disable feature.

This feature is borderline spyware built into the OS.

It just isn't. The only thing Microsoft is recording is the things that get searched for through Bing. If you're looking for a file, you can search locally without using Bing and nothing will be recorded. Obviously if you do a web search through the search, it's going to be capable of recording what terms you search for, and everybody is going to know this is happening when they see web results. Someone who won't be aware of that won't be aware that Bing or Google searches are already doing this in their browser, either, and those don't come with disclaimers.

The 'recording' isn't being done locally, either. It's done server side by Bing, when these search terms come in and Bing handles the actual searching involved, just like in a web browser based search.

You just don't get it. The feature should be disabled by default or MS should have a giant Notice we are collecting your search criteria. This feature is borderline spyware built into the OS. If people wanted this then they should make it would you like to enable the feature rather hidden away not notifying you disable feature.

Stop being dishonest and a hypocrite. I was the first person to respond to this thread, a thread you started and one of the first things I posted was that this can be disabled. Evil Microsoft. They sell their OS, I should get web search for free. I love Google but I hate ads, so I block them. Good thing that not everyone else does. Oh, but the default of the Windows 8.1 search should be off. And if it had ads from Bing or Google, so what block them!

If I'm s shill so be it. No worse than a than a hypocrite that proclaims to hate everyone else equally. I've never seen you mention if that equal hate of everyone includes yourself.

Last edited:
Facebook, of course. But, if you're getting ads as part of the Microsoft OS and see that, it has more 'trust' than a Facebook ad.

Apps, yes. People are used to ads there. But, if I hit the Start Screen and see ads, or the search, or Control Panel or Computer Management - it's too much. I have to ask - is search results the limit? Or would people be ok with ads on the Start Screen? Desktop?

1. you can turn it off.
2. you pay for cable, yet there are commercials on Walking Dead.
3. You buy games and they have ads built into them

If you want integrated search, you get ads and your searches are tracked. If you don't want that, turn off integrated search. Problem solved.

You'll have an easier time convincing Fred Phelps to support gay marriage then you will getting wrench to think windows 8 and Microsoft are anything less than pure evil.

This thread will run is course, he'll run out of his arguments and then move on to the next without a pause.

Bottom line is the whole big issue is solved by a few mouse clicks, we all know this but that don't mean shit to since people. Same with everything else, metro is optional, the ads are optional it makes no difference to them they want the os made how they want it. Not only that though they can't just be content to stay with 7 and be fine they have to pitch a fit every 15 seconds just in case someone missed that they hate 8.

1. you can turn it off.
2. you pay for cable, yet there are commercials on Walking Dead.
3. You buy games and they have ads built into them

If you want integrated search, you get ads and your searches are tracked. If you don't want that, turn off integrated search. Problem solved.

How about I turn on integrated search when I need it. Problem solved.

How about I turn on integrated search when I need it. Problem solved.

Great, so you've turned it off and you'll turn it on when you want it. Good to see that you are in fact capable of using a search engine to solve your problems. It was starting look like you were more than [H].

The hatred for MS never ceases to amaze me. If Apple/Google did the exact same thing (and they do) then people declare it as the best thing ever.

Back