TFT Technology Breakdown and Model/Panel Index

yeah there's some more information about W-LED and RGB LED backlighting here which is useful.

The RGB LED backlighting is very expensive at the moment so if a screen is listed as LED backlit, you should be able to tell straight away from the price. Modern W-LED screens are generally fairly cheap, but RGB LED are still very expensive. manufacturers will almost certainly list RGB LED in their specs and overview on their websites as well. anything else touted as LED without specific mention (And a lower cost) will almost certainly be W-LED

yeah there's some more information about W-LED and RGB LED backlighting here which is useful.

The RGB LED backlighting is very expensive at the moment so if a screen is listed as LED backlit, you should be able to tell straight away from the price. Modern W-LED screens are generally fairly cheap, but RGB LED are still very expensive. manufacturers will almost certainly list RGB LED in their specs and overview on their websites as well. anything else touted as LED without specific mention (And a lower cost) will almost certainly be W-LED

Thanks for the website. It is the exact information that I need.

And about the pricing of those different type of monitors. How much more expensive are those RGB LED vs W-LED? If you have to pick between "TN vs IPS" or "RGB-LED vs W-LED," then which one would you go for first for best image quality?

I know it's not a TN and not designated as a "gaming" LCD, but would anyone here recommend the Dell 3007WFP to game on?

I know it's not a TN and not designated as a "gaming" LCD, but would anyone here recommend the Dell 3007WFP to game on?

Sure, I run 3 of them. I don't detect any input lag, the color is really good on them. As long as you're gaming on a PC i don't see any downside.

Sure, I run 3 of them. I don't detect any input lag, the color is really good on them. As long as you're gaming on a PC i don't see any downside.

So I'm going from an 37 inch HDTV, to this model.

My question is, will I see any screen-door effect like I do on the 37 inch model? Both monitors have a 60Hz refresh rate and it's one of my biggest complaints gaming on a large screen.

If no, what is the difference between the two technologies that is responsible for the screen-door affect (tearing)?

Thanks for your response.

Thanks for the website. It is the exact information that I need.

And about the pricing of those different type of monitors. How much more expensive are those RGB LED vs W-LED? If you have to pick between "TN vs IPS" or "RGB-LED vs W-LED," then which one would you go for first for best image quality?

RGB LED is generally VERY expensive and so not widely used at all. It's generally only for very high end professional grade screens such as the HP LP2480zx or Samsung XL series for instance. it's normally combined with a lot of other high end features (hardware calibration, extended internal LUT's etc) which again bump up the price.

For mainstream models and more "affordable" monitors, panel technology is probably a more pressing concern i would say.

So I'm going from an 37 inch HDTV, to this model.

My question is, will I see any screen-door effect like I do on the 37 inch model? Both monitors have a 60Hz refresh rate and it's one of my biggest complaints gaming on a large screen.

If no, what is the difference between the two technologies that is responsible for the screen-door affect (tearing)?

Thanks for your response.

Honestly, I don't even know what the screen door effect is. I generally don't see tearing unless Vsync is off, but i see that one any screen (except crts) if vsync is off.

If you could elaborate, maybe i could help you a little more.

Honestly, I don't even know what the screen door effect is. I generally don't see tearing unless Vsync is off, but i see that one any screen (except crts) if vsync is off.

If you could elaborate, maybe i could help you a little more.

I keep Vsync off when playing multiplayer games. I like the feel of it better. So tearing is what I'm most concerned with.

Samsung 244T -- Looking at mine under a microscope, it does not have separate "A" and "B" subpixels like my Sony Bravia TV. (which allows half the sub-pixel to be turned off while displaying a dim area) From what I've read, this means the panel is PVA, rather than S-PVA. (though when I bought it, the Newegg description listed it as S-PVA)

Dell 2001FP -- Was there a later revision of these or something? As far as I can determine, mine has a regular TN panel. It does not have the viewing angles, color gamut, or contrast of my iPad, and under a microscope the pixels appear in a typical TN square array. It's really old, was IPS ever that terrible?

I just bought a Doublesight DS-277W which is 27" S-IPS with 1 Billion colors.

So what specific panels do these displays use? Or do you just want to update every thread here with similar info..

Why don't you create your own thread for the specific model you have, where you can post pictures/impression etc. If there isn't one already.

Been trying to track down what panel my Dell ST2410 uses. When my 2405 died I really didn't want to go to TN but I didn't have the budget for an IPS monitor, however after trying to a few displays I ended up with the ST2410 and was really surprised how good the picture was, and not just "good for a TN panel".

Yeah...this thread definitely needs some updating.
Yep.
-- 120Hz monitors
-- 3D monitors
-- Overclockable monitors.
-- CCFL vs LED backlights
-- PWM-free backlight technologies.
-- Lightboost monitors.
-- Game-friendly strobe backlight technologies. (e.g. LightBoost backlight, Samsung strobe mode, Sony's Motionflow "Impulse Mode")

I sent this info to TFT Central about a week ago (via mail) but seems they haven't updated their index, so I'm deciding I'll provide it here as well and then I'll leave it be...

My Samsung SyncMaster T220 broke down a couple of months ago and I have since opened up the monitor, so I'm able to check just about any interior hardware of it. The panel is a 22" Samsung TN Film (M220Z1-L03).

This sticky needs to be updated. I am looking for some new displays for my new PC build. I am going with a 3 monitor setup and I am unsure of what resolution,Hz, type I should get. This will be a gaming PC obviously, and I am going with three twenty seven inch or larger displays. There are so many new monitors coming out soon to rival the Asus twenty seven inch Rogue that I am going to wait a bit, although that may be futile since Asus NEVER lowers price to compete. The Acer's look amazing. Then there is the issue of what GPU are out there that could even power three of these things, but that is a question for another section in these boards....Any chance of an update?

Back