TFT Technology Breakdown and Model/Panel Index

good question

I'm curious about info on A-MVAs, also, I thought S-IPS generally had faster response times than some/most MVAs

Can anyone confirm that the Gateway 22" is a S-PVA panel or TN?

I just purchased it yesterday and it said S-PVA all over the place, It looks great but I just want to get what I pay for. If it's a TN i couldve gone with ones for less money.

I'm afraid it's a TN Film panel. Given that Samsung don't make any 22" S-PVA panels, and the spec is indicative of TN Film (160 degree viewing angles as mentioned here, and "limited" contrast ratio by modern PVA standards) I'd say that wherever is listing it as anything else is misleading :(

Can anyone confirm that the AOC 210v uses a 8 bit panel? It says it has 16.7m colors, so that in a nutshell means its 8bit?

Would a 8bit TN panel be better than 6 bit TN panel by much?

Cheers

sadly it's a TN Film panel, since all the 22" models are TN based at the moment. Quite a lot of TN models are labelled as 16.7 million colours nowadays, but it's not an indication of an 8-bit panel sadly in this case. It's still TN Film and using 6-bit+FRC

I'm afraid it's a TN Film panel. Given that Samsung don't make any 22" S-PVA panels, and the spec is indicative of TN Film (160 degree viewing angles as mentioned here, and "limited" contrast ratio by modern PVA standards) I'd say that wherever is listing it as anything else is misleading :(

Cthat would be CompUSA, BestBuy, and Circuit city all have it listed as a S-PVA the manual even says S-PVA Gateways web site DID say S-PVA for a bit but has now changed to just sat TFT

the misleading advertising real pisses me off i payed more for this thinking it WAS S-PVA when it was just the same as other 22" that cost 100 or more less

On the list, the line that shows this:

Dell 2407WFP - 24" WS Samsung S-PVA (LM201W01)

Should be this:

Dell 2407WFP - 24" WS Samsung S-PVA (LTM240M2)

The LM201W01 panel is a 20" LG/Phillips S-IPS panel used in the Dell 2007WFP 20" LCD monitor.

The Dell 2407WFP shares the same panel as the Samsung 24" 244T.

As a gamer who is still using a ViewSonic A90f CRT and is looking for a flat panel in the very near future, I found this sticky to be a very informative. Well done!

i just get the new Gateway 22" widescreen model FPD2275W

manual states

Panel type:
22" viewable
TFT active matrix S-PVA
700:1
16.7m colors

FlatpanelsDK list as;
Gateway FPD2275W (widescreen) has a 22 inch 5ms TN panel.

funny how manual and price cards at stores say S-PVA then :rolleyes:

i'd be very surprised if it is actually using a PVA panel as discussed a little further up this page. Consider a few points including that Samsung don't actually make any PVA/S-PVA panels at the 22" size, and they are the sole producer of that particular technology. The spec of the gateway model is also very characteristic of TN Film with a low contrast ratio of 700:1 and usual 160/160 quoted viewing angles. I'd say there's some misinformation from Gateway there, and the shops have just followed suit

LG makes S-IPS panels, and their newer H-IPS makes some improvements on the S-IPS. If I remember correctly improving about improving purplish or red hues at angles or something, I'll have to find the article. There's also another improvement, but I can"t recall at this time...

These monitors have LG H-IPS panels

NEC LCD2490WUXi-BK
NEC LCD2690WUXi-BK
Mitsubishi RDT261WH - only in Japan
Acer AL2623W

Model/Panel Index

Acer
Acer AL1951Cs - 19" TN Film
Acer AL1916ws - 19" WS TN Film
Acer AL2016ws - 20" WS Chunghwa Picture Tubes TN Film
Acer AL2032wa - 20" WS AU Optronics P-MVA (M201EW01 V0) OR LG.Philips S-IPS (LM201W01)

BenQ
BenQ FP202W - 20" WS Chunghwa Picture Tubes TN Film

Dell
Dell 1905FP - 19" Samsung PVA (LTM190E4-L02) or AU Optronics P-MVA (M190EN03 V0)
Dell 1907FP - 19" TN Film
Dell 2001FP - 20" LG.Philips S-IPS (LM201U04)
Dell 2005FPW - 20" WS LG.Philips S-IPS (LM201W01)
Dell 2007WFP - 20" WS LG.Philips S-IPS (LM201W01)
Dell 2007FP - 20" LG.Philips S-IPS (LM201U04)
Dell 2405FPW - 24" WS Samsung PVA (LTM240M1-L01)
Dell 2407WFP - 24" WS Samsung S-PVA (LM201W01)
Dell 3007WFP - 30" WS LG.Philips S-IPS (LM300W01)

Gateway
Gateway FPD2185W - 21" WS Samsung S-PVA (LTM210M2)

HP
HP F2105 - 21" WS Samsung S-PVA (LTM210M2)

Hyundai
Hyundai L90D+ - 19" Samsung TN (LTM190EX-L01)

NEC
NEC LCD20WGX2 - 20" LG.Philips AS-IPS (LM201W01)

Sceptre X20G Naga II 16ms 20" P-MVA
Sceptre X20G Naga II - 20" WS P-MVA

Samsung
Samsung 930B - 19" Samsung TN Film
Samsung 940B - 19" Samsung TN Film
Samsung 940T - 19" Samsung PVA (LTM190E4)
Samsung 940MW - 19"WS Samsung TN Film (LTM190M2)
Samsung 204B - 20" Samsung TN Film (LTM201UX)
Samsung 215TW - 21" WS Samsung S-PVA (LTM210M2)
Samsung 244T - 24" WS Samsung S-PVA (LTM240M2)

ViewSonic
ViewSonic VA1912W - 19" WS Chi Mei Optoelectronics TN Film (M190A1)
ViewSonic VP912B - 19" AU Optronics TN Film (M190EN04 V1)
Viewsonic VX922 - 19" AU Optronics TN Film (M190EN04)
Viewsonic VX924 - 19" AU Optronics TN Film (M190EN04 V5)
ViewSonic VP920 - 19" TN Film
ViewSonic VP930 - 19" AU Optronics P-MVA (M190EG01 V0)
ViewSonic VA1912W - 19" WS Chi Mei Optoelectronics TN Film (M190A1)
ViewSonic VA2012WB - 20" WS Chunghwa Picture Tubes TN Film
ViewSonic VX2025WM - 20" WS AU Optronics P-MVA (M201EW01 V0)

Could someone please update this list? It appears to be over a year old. Some friends of mine asked for a list just like this one, but it doesn't include anything released in the past year.

If I sit in front of my PC at a desk for about 99% of the monitor usage...am I really going to notice the difference in TN compared to *VA Monitors, and the 1% is when I'm walking to the PC and just glancing at what my downloads are on or if I've got an email.

Seriously, 160 degrees is a considerable amount, at what point are you guys looking at your screen from such a wide angle to complain anyway? It's a monitor...it's generally going to be "small" I don't get how 160degrees can be a bad thing, so could someone kindly explain?

The problem I have is that they only display 6bit color and if you move about 1 or 2 degrees the colors change so they are impossible to calibrate and use professionally.

That's perfectly understandable! I just wanted to know for casual, non-professional, and very rarely any kind of graphic work which would never be considered overly serious....use.

I understand and have a strong appreciation for the need of precision equipment, and obviously TN film doesn't fit the bill, but I guess it fits mine so thank a lot!

I'm confused. Some of these TN-based Monitors state 16.2m Colors... while others state 16.7m Colors..

ok.. but if the TN technology is 6 bits isnt that 2^6 * 2^6 * 2^6 = 2^18 = 262144 colors displayable ? This is far from even 16.2m... much less 16.7m some state in their specs!

Clearly I have something wrong.. someone please help..

yep, it's a true 262k colours, but they use a variety of Frame Rate Control and dithering techniques to produce a larger colour palette.
I see.. thanks for that. Thats terrible imo!

I have an older TN-based monitor.. the banding is pretty annoying.. must be due to the panel displaying only 6-bits per channel.

I've realized the other issue I was having (with white) seems to be due to the TN technology?? It is hard to explain the symptom.. the best I can explain it in words is to say it seems like there is a 'dust' or grain on the screen.. easily visible on solid white displayed.. its almost a holographic dust.

yes, the screen is clean. But if I move my head a little in any direction, the 'dust' seems to alter with the screen. so that the color/darkness doesn't stay the same. its not dead pixels.. its much more faint than that, yet verrrry annoying.

btw I just realized something.. on http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/panelsearch_content.htm

if you select 'Panel' and enter "S-IPS" (for example) it will display ALL S-IPS panels in their database!

Finally switching from CRT to LCD.

NEC 20WGX2 or Samsung 226BW.

There is only a $70.00 difference in price between these two LCD monitors. NEC is now $359.00 after rebate and Samsung 226BW is $279.00. The NEC is silver however and will not match my system as well as the Samsung.

I realize one is 6 panel TN versus the Nec AS-IPS 8. I also realize the NEC is only 20" and glossy versus Samung 22" non-glossy screen.

Both have great reviews.

I will be using the monitor for general use and gaming.

Which do most recommend? Help please!!!!!!!

I see.. thanks for that. Thats terrible imo!

I have an older TN-based monitor.. the banding is pretty annoying.. must be due to the panel displaying only 6-bits per channel.

I've realized the other issue I was having (with white) seems to be due to the TN technology?? It is hard to explain the symptom.. the best I can explain it in words is to say it seems like there is a 'dust' or grain on the screen.. easily visible on solid white displayed.. its almost a holographic dust.

yes, the screen is clean. But if I move my head a little in any direction, the 'dust' seems to alter with the screen. so that the color/darkness doesn't stay the same. its not dead pixels.. its much more faint than that, yet verrrry annoying.

btw I just realized something.. on http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/panelsearch_content.htm

if you select 'Panel' and enter "S-IPS" (for example) it will display ALL S-IPS panels in their database!

banding could also more likely be due to poor gamma configuration, but if it's an old TN Film based model you may find the older FRC technologies are not as efficient as modern algorithms. The granuality you describe could also be linked to the AR coating on the panel, and is something some people do comment on with some screens. Again, things have improved in this regard, so if it's an old model, chances are a new TN Film based display would be an improvement.

There is only a $70.00 difference in price between these two LCD monitors. NEC is now $359.00 after rebate and Samsung 226BW is $279.00. The NEC is silver however and will not match my system as well as the Samsung.

I realize one is 6 panel TN versus the Nec AS-IPS 8. I also realize the NEC is only 20" and glossy versus Samung 22" non-glossy screen.

Both have great reviews.

if you can afford the extra $$, get the nec.

Both have great reviews.

The NEC will definitely have better picture quality and a much wider viewing angle, the only downside is its smaller size .. My 24" CRT sitting next to it makes it look pretty small in comparison.

So many decisions!

I'm just now starting to really shop for an LCD and had been leaning towards the Sammy 206BW. I'm coming from a 19 inch Sony CRT, so it will be a big change. Didn't know there was so much to learn about in an LCD but...here we go...

I was going to get the NEC W20GX2 on Newegg last night but they are now out of stock.

So now i really don't know what to do....

on a side note what exactly is WXGA+ ??

wonkman,

It'd be great if you could update the list to show the latest models and their panels. The last update had been well over a year ago.

Thanks.

I was going to get the NEC W20GX2 on Newegg last night but they are now out of stock.

So now i really don't know what to do....

on a side note what exactly is WXGA+ ??

would like to know that too

Here's good image for comparing resolutions.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Vector_Video_Standards2.svg
8:5 aspect ratio is same 16:10. (remember fraction rules)

Might be good to include that to thread's starting post... it's probably that often asked information.

finally a 22" non-TN.
Not first one, Lenovo has had 1920x1200 22" S-PVA display out for some time.
http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/board/message?board.id=Thinkvision&thread.id=2
http://www.computerworld.com/action...ewArticleBasic&articleId=9056059&pageNumber=2

Eizo S2231W has been reviewed in here.
http://www.prad.de/en/news/shownews_tft1310.html

Please list the Lenovo L220X 22" 1920 X1200 LCD Monitor in your list! I believe it is a S-PVA!

I order this on backorder after deciding that I would like it more then the Dell 2408 that just came out! Mainly, I like the smaller fonts in the L220X plus a better picture quality then the 2408!

Back