Tforce SLI and Opteron 165 issues

crispyb

Magical Crispyness
I bit the bullet on the Opty 165 deal from Monarch and also bought a Tforce SLI. I have benn having issues where the PC just shuts down. When I read the manual on the mobo, it said it has a fail safe function where the mobo will shutdown if the CPU gets too hot. But, i don't think its overheating. No overclocking. It stays idle at 42c and 44~45C on regular usage. When I cut the power and turn it back on, it doesn't post. I have to reseat the memory and/or the vid card.

I had the Asus A8NVM-CSM(Geforce 6150 + nforce 430) and never had the above mentioned issues.

Do you think its the CPU overheating issue? Are the temps too high?

Here are the specs:

Tforce SLI
Opteron 165
Patriot 1GB DDR400
eVGA Geforce 7600GT
Maxtor 160GB
500w UltraConnect PS
Thermaltake CL-P0075 K450

random shutdowns like that usually point to the motherboard or psu.

do you have another psu you could test with your system?

what have u been doing when the pc shuts down? is the computer at full load when it happens or is it totally random?

Haste266 said:
random shutdowns like that usually point to the motherboard or psu.

do you have another psu you could test with your system?

what have u been doing when the pc shuts down? is the computer at full load when it happens or is it totally random?

It happens pretty much at random. It can shutdown right after POST or when surfing the net in Windows. I think the psu is working fine. I had no issues with the power supply when using the Asus board. I think I have a 300w psu that I can test with, but have a feeling its the mobo.

eeeewww you have an Ultra Connect? What version is it, the first gen or the X-Infinity or Ultra-Connect 2. The first gen Ultra PSUs were basically the most craptacular things ever made, so that could be part of your problem there. If it is a first gen PSU then I would be 99% sure that it is your PSU, and may have fried your mobo.

Good Luck.

gregnash said:
eeeewww you have an Ultra Connect? What version is it, the first gen or the X-Infinity or Ultra-Connect 2. The first gen Ultra PSUs were basically the most craptacular things ever made, so that could be part of your problem there. If it is a first gen PSU then I would be 99% sure that it is your PSU, and may have fried your mobo.

Good Luck.

Wow. Are they that bad :confused: I read a review a while back that these were good psu's(don't remember which site). Not to doubt you or anything, but where did you get the info on the first gen's are crap. I just want to read up on it.

This is the one I have: http://www.ultraproducts.com/product_details.php?cPath=37&pPath=157&productID=161. I think its the first gen.

Yeah thats the one. I actually read an article when they first came out in Maximum PC that was a PSU shootout and it failed almost all the tests. There have been other reviews that show it tanking in multiple tests but most of the stuff that I have gotten have been from boards like this, from like WizD forums, Anandtech, TomsHardware, OCworkbench and a few others that I cant remember. All I know is just about every article said to completely stay away from the first gens.

However, the second gens(X-Connect 2) and the X-Infinity are supposedly stellar PSUs. I would see if you can get your hands on another PSU for awhile and do some testing or call their customer support, see what they come up with you never know they may send you a newer one. I havent seen anything like I just saw with the NEO HE where they are doing any sort of recall on them but I would definitely keep my eyes open.

Best of Luck to you.

PS. One of the guys at another forum used a great word for the first gen. X-Connects, it was "Craptacular". :D

PPS. Also you may want to try and see what the power requirements of your system are and what efficiency your PSU has. The Geforce 6150 system I am sure had alot lower power requirement than your current TforceSLi board. Plus add the Opty 165, which is a power hungry dual core (?), and you have a recipe for a "no bueno" power supply issues. Go to NvidiaZone.com and check to see if the PSU you have is certified SLi, even though you arent running SLi, I would check.
From everything that I have been reading, and reading your post over and over again I am 100% sure you need another PSU, the X-Connect with its Craptacular statis and only being 500w is a recipe for "no bueno" :D

Well Lookie what I found in the PSU forum, under PSUs to stay away from.

PSU's to Avoid for High Performance or OC'ed Systems

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Some of these PSU's are dangerous to your system, some are just sub-standard,
however NONE can be recommended, for high performance or over-clocked systems.

Achieve
Aerocool
Allied
Apex
Arrow,
Aspire > Dangerous! They don't even pretend to meet the ATX/AMD/Intel specs!
Austin
Codegen
Coolmax
Demon
Deer
Duro
Dynapower
Eagle
EagleTech
Foxconn
Foxlink
Hercules
InWin (except FSP models)
JustPC
Key Mouse
Kingwin
L&C
Logic
Linkworld
Macron Power
MGE
Mustang
Okia
Power-Man (except FSP models)
Powmax
Power-Up
Powerstar
QMax
Qtec
q-tec
Raidmax (except Topower/Tagan models, not sold with cases)
Real PC Power
Rhycon
Robanton
Rosewill
Skyhawk
Thermaltake (except the Thermaltake W0057 PurePower 500W)
TMP-ANS
Tsunami
Turbo
Turbolink
Ultra (except X2 & X-Finity)US-Can
Viomax

Some of these PSU's are dangerous to your system, some are just sub-standard,
however NONE can be recommended, for high performance or over-clocked systems.

I would appericate some feed-back. What do you think?

Damn thats alot of info :eek: Thanks. :) I swapped the power supply with a 350w Antec and still had the same issue. For both cases I tried just booting the PC without any components to see even if it would give me beep codes, but didn't. I contacted Biostar and they recommended me to RMA the board.

In regards to my choice on this power supply, I saw decent reviews. My favorite thing with this PS is the modular connectors. Not the best for OCing, but good as a standalone. Usually, my choice for PS is Enermax. They are very stable and the fans are usually quiet. In my case I'm not too much into overclocking as I used to be.

well thats good that you are getting it taken care of. Remember since you are running a power hungry processor, video card and mobo you might want to think about upgrading to a different powersupply. If you are that set on modular, then Enermax has the great Liberty series. In your case I would probably toss the Ultra for something more reliable, another Ultra if you wish, and possibly a little more powerful say in the 550w range. Take a gander in the PSU forum and you will find lots and lots of info there...

Back