• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

TF2 or COD4???

Joined
Jun 30, 2004
Messages
665
finals are almost over and i'm gonna have some more free time sooo i was just wondering whether i should get tf2 or cod4.

I was never really a big tf fan but w/ all the great reviews....

I was a big fan of bf2 sooo if cod4s multiplayer is anyhting like that i think i might like it.

any suggestions?
 
COD4 MP IMO gets boring quickly. Single player was great but MP is nothing exciting.
 
I had gotten both at launch days, TF2 been played nearly twice as long...probably because its twice as fun. Best online shooter atm.
 
I had gotten both at launch days, TF2 been played nearly twice as long...probably because its twice as fun. Best online shooter atm.

Lol i am in agreeance. TF2 is sooo much funner online, and you also get HL2 EP2 and Portal with TF2, so you cant really go wrong.
 
finals are almost over and i'm gonna have some more free time sooo i was just wondering whether i should get tf2 or cod4.

I was never really a big tf fan but w/ all the great reviews....

I was a big fan of bf2 sooo if cod4s multiplayer is anyhting like that i think i might like it.
Both games are good, but I think TF2 is better than CoD 4 multiplayer.

I didn't like the original TF either, but TF2 is well balanced and has a whole lot of variety to it. It's just plain fun to play. I found that the community is a lot more mature and well-behaved than CoD 4's community, as well.

CoD 4's worth playing for the single player alone, but I don't like the multiplayer that much. It's pretty much the same as previous CoD games. They added a few game types, like a Counter-Strike mode with individual rounds, and a UT-style domination mode -- it's nothing like BF2.
 
I have never played TF2, but I am playing COD4 MP.
COD4 in my opinion is nothing FANTASTIC but it's a lot of fun.
I believe it's more similar to CS than BF2 (no vehicle, smaller maps, etc...).

I suppose my opinion doesn't matter since I haven't played TF2 I guess...
 
I have never played TF2 but I believe it is a great game.

As far as COD4, I am in total disagreement with the other folks.... I love it! I think it way outshines the single player game (which I also really liked...).

MP has RPG elements that allow you to really customize your player and playing style. Sure, I have my bitches about the game (no vehicles.... goofy perks), but I think it rocks!

Having said that, the Orange box is a terrific value overall, if you are considering picking it up. I am waiting for a good sale as I already have the "Christmas" Half-Life 2 package.

Just my two and a half cents...
 
As far as COD4, I am in total disagreement with the other folks.... I love it! I think it way outshines the single player game (which I also really liked...).

MP has RPG elements that allow you to really customize your player and playing style. Sure, I have my bithches about the game (no vehicles.... goofy perks), but I think it rocks!

yeah, the whole leveling up aspect of it is actually kinda cool...I don't find the perks to be "goofy" but rather interesting (strengths and weaknesses, tough choices, keeps the game / classes in constant change).

And I should have mentioned that although the single player campaign is super fun, it is nothing compared to the Multi Player.

:)
 
don't find the perks to be "goofy" but rather interesting (strengths and weaknesses, tough choices, keeps the game / classes in constant change).)

Not to go OT.... I am referring to Martydom (not to start a rant....) and Last Stand. One you puke a grenade when you die, the other you come back from the dead like Jebus! Then you pivot around on your elbow firing your pistol (not unlike Curly from the Three Stooges.... only with a pistol).

Overkill should be the name of the perk that stops Last Stand!:rolleyes:

Most of the perks are really well thought out. Like I said, this is really picky shit..... gotta say something bad!:D

It's an awesome game....
 
:) I know what you mean now...although I find last stand not to bother me all that much, Martyr is definitely out there...
 
TF2 > COD4

TF2 is much more fun. I played through COD4 single player in about 3-4 hours and maybe an hour of multilayer. I have 20-30x more time spent on TF2. It is a far superior product.
 
i own both and COD4 gets about 2X or 3X the playtime. both are good games, but COD4's SP is fantastic and the MP is the most addictive game i've ever played (including BF2). get COD4.
 
COD4 MP IMO gets boring quickly. Single player was great but MP is nothing exciting.


My thoughts exactly. I played COD4 for the first 2 weeks that I had it and haven't touched it since. Meanwhile I've been playing TF2 since it came out.
 
COD 4 only gets "boring quickly" if you're horrible at it and don't enjoy losing constantly. Luckily for me, I always win and it's tons of fun yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

However, I also played quite a bit of TF2 since my clan/guild/whatever started paying for their own TF2 server. We have since switched it to CS:S and have been playing that more again.

Honestly, I couldn't recommend one game over the other. "More fun" is a matter of personal opinion. I think the most fun game is Moto GP 07 (on pc..not 360...can't buy pc version in the states except on ebay maybe), but only like 10 other people in the entire world actually play it. Shot-Online.com golf is also alot of fun to me. See? Personal opinion..ok then here we go:

Buy one of them. Play it until you get bored or tired of it. By then you may have enough saved up to buy the other one. Then you'll find yourself going back and forth between the two games and enjoying both. That's what I do anyway. :D

I actually only bought TF2 because i was at a LAN and everyone was playing it. So I bought it through steam and jumped in. No regrets.

As far as COD 4, I played TONS of COD 2 (and cod 3 on the 360), so when COD 4 came out, I knew i was giong to buy it. I played the demo on the 360 and enjoyed the hell out of it.

Then my sister came and visited for Christmas and got into a fight with my GF and well there you have it. My entire life story. Good read.
 
I am a big fan of the COD series (single player mostly) and the TF series. I picked up both TF2 and COD4 on launch days.

That said, I have played 10x more TF2 than COD4-MP. Both are pretty good FPS experiences. I wouldn't really compare either to the Battlefield series however (which I also enjoy). Smaller maps, no vehicles, etc.

I find TF2 to be much more "fun" than COD4-mp. The 'nade spamming in COD4 is really annoying (no nades in TF2 except for the demoman class).
 
LOL...

I must say that I have so far about 8 hours of playtime (cumulated) in COD4 and I do lose quite often.
And guess what...I am still have a lot of fun.

The dude up there is right tho, both games wouldn't hurt (I am contemplating getting TF2 as we speak).
 
You shoulda made this a poll.

COD4 had me addicted until I leveled all the way up, but the MP has huge balance issues and some parts really suck (guys who drop nades whenever they die gets really annoying). I sold the game after 2 weeks because MP was too frustrating.

TF2 is just overall fun, no balance issues. There is a counter for anyone who is pwning you. Custom maps rock too, I don't even play the original maps (all I play is OrangeX).
 
I have both TF2 and COD4 and for a while I was playing TF2 almost every night and COD4 not that often, since I upgraded to Vista and I lost or I guess deleted my rank, I am back in COD4 much more then TF2 as its great to level up, get new guns, change your perks around etc.
If you can get both, you won't regret it, if you only get one then decided either getting a goofy, cartoony looking game that has a lot of fun servers for it (TF2) or a game that is more true to life, dirty and gritty (COD4). Though I must admit, in SP of COD4 the mission where you are in the airplane and shooting guys on the ground is the most fun I have had in the COD series in ages.
 
Haven't played TF2 but COD4 is nothing special.

First off it plays like the previous 3 CODs. Plus I get the feeling COD4 is trying to be both realistic and arcadey in an attempt to capture the console crowd while at the same time while managing to ruin both. As an arcade shooter it fails because BF2 did it all and better. Larger maps and vehicles. As a realistic shooter it fails because of the rediculous perks. If you want better penetration you should be able to select penetrator ammo. If you want stopping power you should be able to select frangible ammo (when available), like in Raven Shield.

Personally I wouldn't pay more than $20 bucks for a game with such a short single player and a half baked multiplayer.
 
You shoulda made this a poll.

Indeed. Didn't think i was gonna get this many responses though. this is good. I think i've decided to get TF2......... first. COD MP was like crack back in the day! kar98k bolt action and garand ftw! but yea that was wwII. iono about modern warfare. but may b once i get bored of tf2 i'll get cod4.
Thanks for the opinions guys.
 
but may b once i get bored of tf2 i'll get cod4.
Thanks for the opinions guys.

Well as most people stated, you don't get to bored with TF2, especially since there are multitude of servers, mods, etc. I don't know how many people use their mics in TF2 but it can create more fun as you can either coordinate with your teammates or smack talk if the server has all talk on.
 
I lost interest in TF2 after two weeks. Fun at first, but the degree to which you rely on your team - most usually comprised of disableds - gets annoying. That, and there's very little to it.
 
I was an admin on our guild/clan's server for awhile. Randomly slapping, teleporting, and lighting people on fire is good fun :D
 
I lost interest in TF2 after two weeks. Fun at first, but the degree to which you rely on your team - most usually comprised of disableds - gets annoying. That, and there's very little to it.
Yeah, who would expect team play to be so intergal in Team Fortress 2... :rolleyes:

But yeah, I know where your comming from. When you go pubing, your going to be a part of some terrible teams. Thats why I've leared not to care about winning as much as just having fun during the match. Being a Spy is the best way to do that, IMO. Sneaking around and messing with the other team. Example: On 2Fort, I love to disguise as a Sniper, stand up in the other team's Battlements, and face twords my own base to mimic an enemy Sniper. As soon as an enemy Sniper walks up and zooms in to shoot someone, walk up next to him and side-stab for an insta-kill. :D

Anyway, if you don't think theres much to TF2, then thats probably the reason you got bored of it. ;)
Theres alot more to the game than meets the eye (i.e. my story above).
 
COD 4 only gets "boring quickly" if you're horrible at it and don't enjoy losing constantly. Luckily for me, I always win and it's tons of fun yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh wow your e-peen must be HUAGE!

And for the people on the forum who aren't mentally incapacitaded like the above poster...CoD4 is boring for other reasons. The main reason is this: there's no damn teamplay going on. Everyone just kind of sticks to doing their own thing, much like what happens in most CS pubs out there (but worse). TF2 actually has a lot of teamplay and strategy, and feels much more fulfilling in the end.
 
Oh wow your e-peen must be HUAGE!

And for the people on the forum who aren't mentally incapacitaded like the above poster...CoD4 is boring for other reasons. The main reason is this: there's no damn teamplay going on. Everyone just kind of sticks to doing their own thing, much like what happens in most CS pubs out there (but worse). TF2 actually has a lot of teamplay and strategy, and feels much more fulfilling in the end.

I must agree, COD4 doesn't have that much teamplay going on...at least for TDM...

However, I played a few games with a friend of mine, and it was actually a lot of fun (using vent).

But yeah...indeed :(
 
Oh wow your e-peen must be HUAGE!

And for the people on the forum who aren't mentally incapacitaded like the above poster...CoD4 is boring for other reasons. The main reason is this: there's no damn teamplay going on. Everyone just kind of sticks to doing their own thing, much like what happens in most CS pubs out there (but worse). TF2 actually has a lot of teamplay and strategy, and feels much more fulfilling in the end.

It was meant as a facetious remark. I suppose if you weren't "mentally incapacitaded", you would have realized that. You're awesome.
You would have a team to play with if there was anyone who liked you and then you wouldn't have to jump on random pub team servers where everyone runs around like it's FFA. That does get annoying. I know because I'm one of the guys that does it and people constantly express their level of annoyance with me when I do it. However, it all works out because I run around doing my own thing and wind up killing everyone on the other team because I'm so great. <----- Another facetious comment. I pointed it out this time for you. You're welcome.
 
I'm not into multi-player, so TF2 didn't grab me. I absolutely LOVE COD4!!!! It's a intense thrill-ride.
 
after not having played tf2 at all i am going to say cod4 is the answer you're looking for
 
I lost interest in TF2 after two weeks. Fun at first, but the degree to which you rely on your team - most usually comprised of disableds - gets annoying. That, and there's very little to it.

This is exactly what happened to me. Quit playing after a week.
 
thats bound to happen in tf2. If I join a game where one team is steamrolling the other. I don't join either team. I just leave. since being on either team is not going to be fun for me. I browse servers till I find one where the teams are relatively fair and there is a power struggle. those are the games where TF2 shines.
 
yeah, power struggles in TF2 are awesome...especially on the lazytown custom map..really fun. I was hooked on TF2 and still am, but have been playing COD4 lately. it takes a bit to get into. i was super frustrated at the beginning because it is so different from TF2.

TF2 art direction is great and they set it up so things are easy to read and spot...just take a look at the character silhouettes. COD4 is totally different, players are much harder to see and it requires a different type of play. leveling up in COD4 is great, you just have to struggle through the first few levels so you can get some better weapons, but the ability to tweak your guns and player attributes make it really fun.
 
The consistent release of custom maps for TF2 certainly puts it above COD4, but if I had a choice of playing TF2's stock maps over COD4 I'd probably choose the latter.
 
About TF2 "Team Play".....

This is something I found that I liked about TF2.

Ive been on servers where everyone talked and communicated. Things went well.

Ive been on servers where everyone talked and communicated. Things went bad.

Ive been on servers where no one talked or communicated. Things went well.

Ive been on servers where no one talked or communicated. Things went bad.

Point is, this game is so versitile and flexible, communication is an OPTION. You can talk or you dont have to say a word. The sheer fact that you are on Blue and others are on Blue....MAKES the team.

For the most part, everyone knows what they have to do.....Kill the other team and either capture their point or capture their flag. Its FUN.

If your a serious gamer and think of this game in terms of, ohhh, sayy Rainbow 6 type of game play, then of course, your going to be disappointed. TF2 is NOT that type of team play, though possible if you want and find others in the same mind frame.

For the most part though....I log in to shoot as many of the other team as I can, capture point or not, Im going to shoot you and that, to me, is FUN. Just log in and shoot, dont worry about complicated "gameplans" or agendas "this is how we are going to do this and that and then when your in position do this and that". All that stuff has its place and is fun too....but just dont go into TF2 thinking thats how things are to be played, cause its not.

The people who do go into the game expecting this or something similar are the ones saying they only played for a few hours - few weeks and quit. Im not saying that bad or nothing..so hold on to your flame throwers, heh (pun intended). If your looking for a serious game, go get Ghost Recon or something similar, you want to have a fun shoot em up type of game play...TOTALLY GET TF2!!!!
 
I prefer Team Fortress 2 by a lot.
The 9 different classes offer a really unique experience.

I quit playing Call of Duty 4 after about two weeks.
 
I never liked the original TF, as I always played Quakeworld Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, 1v1 or Rocket Arena.

After that died, I didn't really get into any multiplayer FPS for awhile. I mean everything was alright, but just wasn't as fun anymore. I will say TF2 has brought those old feelings back. I have fun and usually the couple servers I hang out on a regular basis, the people are pretty cool. The whole thing is just cohesive (gameplay, graphics, etc) and fun. Didn't think I would get into another multiplayer FPS again, since I've been sticking to single player games lately. TF2 made it happen though :)

I play COD4 multi every so often, but not as much as TF2. COD4's Single player was great though.
 
Back
Top